Yoga hurts. ~ Shana Sturtz

Via on Aug 3, 2012

Yoga hurts

A recent conclusion I am now willing to openly admit: yoga hurts my body.

Potentially, it’s not the right thing for me, at least in some of its most rigorous forms such as Power Vinyasa and Ashtanga. With all the conflicting information out there on exercise and nutrition, it’s hard not to get sucked into thinking that if you don’t do yoga, you cannot achieve strong health, fitness and flexibility from the inside out. How else are you going to detox those internal organs?

Well, simple twists are not exclusive to yoga, first of all.

I liken my journey with yoga to my one-time decision to throw in the towel with wheat and sugar. I had read so much about wheat destroying our insides and sugar being a current-day poison that I was determined to cut these things out of my diet, even though I wasn’t noticing any ill effects from eating them. What resulted was extreme fatigue and overeating (even after several weeks). I never felt satiated and was weak and lethargic.

About a week into this no-wheat-no-sugar shit lifestyle, in one sitting I ate two crab cakes, two pieces of sword fish, a grand-sized chicken wing, salad and other assorted vegetables… and still felt hungry. Ya know, I was trying the whole Paleo thing. But something was wrong. I had never felt worse. I kept waiting for the detox stage to be over, but it never ended.

Almost a month in, my first dip back into straight-up sugar was a peanut butter cookie. I felt good for the first time since I had started these eliminations. I guess I must need some sugar in my diet. Yeah, I know, Coca Cola is poison, but some people need straight up sugar. I think I am one of them. And, I know some people have a real problem with glutinous products and sugar, but apparently my problem is being denied these things. Lesson learned.

With so much conflicting information out there, it’s an error to place too much weight on any advice related to diet or exercise. Opinions are constantly in flux. I remember when I was dousing everything in agave syrup because my yoga teacher said it’s the healthy sweetener, with a lower glycemic index, and that gave me free reign to basically suck it straight from the bottle. But now, they’re saying that agave is actually no better than high fructose corn syrup. So, my bad.

I think the most important thing is to see how your body reacts to all the conflicting information you get about health, diet and exercise.

Back to yoga. After moving to Mexico, and rarely practicing yoga beyond some simple daily stretches, I am no longer at the chiropractor every week. Yes, I still exercise a lot—running, ballet bar exercises and weight training—but not too much yoga short of a retreat here and there. So now, because I am not always in pain, I definitely notice how I feel the day after doing a vigorous yoga practice, and it’s kind of wrecked, frankly.

Before I left Portland, I was already noticing that my body was not responding well to yoga, and I had transitioned into teaching and doing more ballet bar workouts. These classes, where extreme flexibility is not a necessity or encouraged, were actually healing my body. I felt better about passing along this style of fitness to young and old, injured and strong. These workouts emphasized good and safe alignment over attempting your deepest backbend or 200 chaturangas.

I know many yoga people feel threatened by anything that seems like anti-yoga sentiment, hence the fact that a good number of yoga people have made the decision to cut ties with me. However, these are just my meager opinions, and only have as much power as the backlash people give them. Probably no one would have read William J. Broad’s book about the dangers of yoga if there hadn’t been such a backlash. Certainly, he probably wouldn’t have had a 30-minute segment on NPR. And so really, I only know what’s right for me, and am not challenging the benefits of yoga for other people.

Recently, I read that the belief that we need to feel pain to get things accomplished in our bodies is false. This is an ingrained idea in our culture: that if it is not killing us or making us extremely sore, then we are not making positive changes in our health and bodies. But sometimes, the more subtle things are actually improving us at a deeper level.

I know there are all types of yoga, and the simple static and active stretches I do in my home are my healthy yoga now. So, I’m just saying, yoga is not the only way to a healthy body. In fact, I didn’t know how good my body could feel until I stopped doing regular yoga.

This story originally appeared on Recovering Yogi.

About Shana Sturtz

Shana Sturtz is a certified yoga teacher and survivor of the exploding Portland, Oregon yoga scene. She currently lives in Guadalajara, Mexico with her husband, Tom. She continues to teach yoga and tutors in English. She has practiced yoga for 15 years, and yes, she is older than most yoga teachers. She is currently looking for more ways to occupy her time in this new land where she hasn’t quite grasped the language, and she is too scared to drive. Coming from Portland, you only learn to ride a bike. While no longer living in Portland (where a new yoga studio opens every hour) she is forced to practice her yoga within the comforts of her home, often with her cat looking on admiringly.

~

Editor: Kate Bartolotta

Like elephant yoga on Facebook.

About Recovering Yogi

Far from the land of meaningless manifestation, vacuous positivity, and boring yoga speak lives Recovering Yogi, the voice of the pop spirituality counterculture and an irreverent forum where yogis, ex-yogis, never-yogis, writers, and readers converge to burst the bubble of sanctimonious rhetoric. We are critical thinkers and people who just love to laugh. Visit us on our web site for some straight talk, join the discussion on Facebook or Twitter, or buy a t-shirt and support our mission.

42 Responses to “Yoga hurts. ~ Shana Sturtz”

1. Oana says:

To me, true yoga is being in touch with your own body and flowing with awareness and self care. Yoga is not a competition, and the extreme flexibility is not required, if your body feels the bad kind of pain. Yoga is more about the flexibility of the mind, than that of the body. And that includes being flexible and mindful enough to know where your body can go on the mat.

2. Green says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this article. I think about this kind of thing daily. I have chronic insomnia and people are always telling me that if I would just stop having caffeine I would be able to sleep. I have been a year without caffeine before and my insomnia was so much worse. The caffeine actually helps my body, my muscles to relax and now that I'm a regular caffeine user again I can sleep only if I have the right amount of caffeine.
    I also practice yoga and thought that I could handle the hot yoga. It was so difficult for me to do and would ruin me for days – just enough time to get back to normal before I went back to my next class. I determined that stretching and deep breathing are good for me, but not strenuous, hot yoga.

3. cathy says:

very insightful. i must add, though, thta if yoga was making your body feel bad fo ra long time, whose fault was that? My teachers say," your body, your yoga, your pse".. and remind us to take breaks. Teacher, listen to the lesson.

I do agree that pilates and barre classes can provide a lot of leg strength and do nto require flexibility. But please hear that yoga does nto require flexibility, it helps develop it. I think you got too caught up in competetive yoga and maybe too much teaching/modeling extreme yoga.

There is much value in gentle yoga.

• cathy says:

PS I am from Seattle- wiht much competetive yoga and practiced in some Portland studios- one was very high domp.. the things i sthat everyone gets older and from say 58 – 64 one maylose soem flexibility here or there but be able to still pushups or hard planks.

• Shana says:

I have and will continue to take full responsibility for myself and my practice. I allowed myself to go too far in some of these poses, but I also think sometimes it is encouraged to push these poses to their extremes instead of teaching the poses with modifications. However, from more detailed practices such as Iyengar, I have learned how to modify things to make them work for me and my students.

4. Thanks for posting this brave and provocative article, Shana.

Bob W. Associate Publisher
    Enjoy Best of elephant journal

5. Troy says:

Let's not forget that asana is only one aspect of yoga. The moment one puts complete focus on the body, he or she has lost the yoga and may as well be doing gymnastics. It is fair though to say that with all transformation there is discomfort especially when dealing with something like the human body. We, humans, in modern society have done quite a number of disservices to our bodies and now expect them to perform in a way it has never been asked to before. The beautiful thing about the practice, however, is that it works. Consistency and hard work create change. But we also need to know when enough is enough. We all deal with competition either between fellow students or mostly with ourselves. The truth is our work will never be done. And it is my firm belief that the only reason anyone has been able to perform advanced asanas is because it has taken them Longer to realize that that is not the point.

• Vision_Quest2 says:

Not to mention, where is beginner's mind in all this?

One gets so advanced, they find out certainly by then that there is further to go. There is no limit. And if they know all the asanas, in all their many variations, what then? Then there are longer holds to explore, and meditation, and pranayama. And right thinking. Right action.

There is no "there" there …

6. [...] can provide a lot of leg strength and do nto require flexibility. … Follow this link: Yoga hurts. ~ Shana Sturtz | elephant journal ← Is “Desk Yoga” Worth the [...]

7. HannahAndTheUniverse says:

Hey Shana!

I really enjoyed reading your article. I've noticed even over the past year or so, that the "200 chatarangas" virus has spread rapidly in our highly competitive society. I get discouraged when I see something as divine as yoga get extremely westernized, i.e. making the practice a "workout" and buying the best luon. I found it interesting that you are practicing a lot more ballet bar exercises. I was in a pre-professional ballet program throughout high school. I credit this classical dance training (as well as other remedies) for the amazing improvement of my scoliosis. But, I found the mentality surrounding the dance world was incredibly depleting upon my self worth. My yoga mat has been incredibly nourishing for my mind and body given those demeaning experiences. And I was waiting so read what you mentioned at the end of your article, "…the simple static and active stretches I do in my home are my healthy yoga now,". The yoga practice is unique to the yoga practitioner. I applaud you for listening to your body and applying yoga to your life in every sense of the word. And I might as well give myself a slap on the back as well. Cheers to listening to your mind, body, and spirit!

• Shana says:

Hi Hannah, thanks for your comments. I have not experienced the dance world, but have heard from some people that it can be depleting and wrought with problems. Ballet bar studios such as Barre3, the one I taught for while living in the US, is very different than professional dance training. We had students of every age and ability in a totally non-competitive environment. Anyone can and is encouraged to do these exercises. They are alignment based and incorporate some yoga, pilates and dance stretches. The classes are simply a good way for people to strengthen their stabilizers and stay strong and agile in an alignment based workout.

• hannahandtheuniverse says:

Sounds wonderful. Thanks for more information surrounding the ballet bar practice. : )

8. Stephanie says:

I agree! I have had the same experience and I came from years in a very meticulous internal-based alignment, yin and restorative yoga practice. Now simple stretching most days, running, plyometrics, SUP and surfing and my body feels sooooo much better than my 10 + years of practicing and teaching yoga and trying to 'heal' my body.

9. Joe Sparks says:

Recently, I was vacationing in Kauai visiting a friend and was very fortunate to take Michaelle Edwards YogAlign class. Her approach to yoga is a breakthrough in the way we think, teach and practice pain-free yoga! As a yoga teacher and massage therapist, you will find her book to be a highly useful tool for your students or clients. I highly recommend checking out her book, you will be glad you did!. http://www.yogalign.com

10. Musicmitch says:

Great article. I have a saying that I use when people refer to yoga as the best thing ever. "Everybody can practice yoga but it's not for everybody" And you are so right about yoga people being treathened when you tell them the practice is not for me . I love yoga and practice daily because it works for me. And speaking of conflicting information. Yoga teaches us to be open and accept but when you say it's not for everybody you get cut off. Yoga as become too much like a religion, don't speak against it. It's ok if you don't practice yoga. Find something that works for you, whether be Pilates, biking, running ect ect… The important thing is to move and stay healthy. As for yoga well, Everybody can practice yoga but it's not for everybody.

• Vision_Quest2 says:

Agree with that. Yoga does not seem to be living up to its non-competition reputation. And it's a top-down thing: starting with the market-driven teacher or studio founder in many cases …

Gotta find out about that Barre3 … if Shana says it's not more competitive than yoga

11. Michelle says:

Thank you, for this article! I began practicing "hot yoga"…it was definitely HOT:{ The sweat would fling around the room in every direction. When finished, I felt exhausted and then carefully hopscotched my way to the door to avoid stepping in everyone's perspiration puddles….it kind of grossed me out! I had always imagined an hour of yoga being relaxing and spiritual…perhaps a different style would be better for me? If you have any ideas for me…dvd's that I can practice at home? I would welcome any suggestions:) Thank you!

• Musicmitch says:

Hi Michelle try yogaglo.com. It's a great online site. This is what I use to practice at home. They have everything from restorative, vinysasa, Hatha, yin, kundalini……and all levels too. My practice went through the roof with this site because I practice at home and take the time to learn and repeat the posture. They have a 15 days trial so you can try it and see if it's for you. I'm a member and it's only 20 dollars a month. Save a lot of money too because classes in studios are so expensives. They always have new classes each week. I practice exclusively at home now and go to studios once or twice a month to enjoy a class full of yogis. :).

Hope this helped

Michel :)

12. Carol Horton carolhortonbooks says:

There are lots of different of methods of yoga. It sounds like you were practicing ones that were bad for you. This doesn't mean that "yoga hurts," period – it means that it can be difficult and confusing to sort through all the variety out there and find what's appropriate for your mind and body where you are right now.

Based on what you say here, I'd suggest that you try restorative yoga. No competition, no challenging asanas, no pushing to go go go – rather, time and space to relax deeply, and settle into yourself as you are in the moment.

• Shana says:

I suppose my point was more that I am perfectly fine without doing any yoga in a classroom setting, and I do know that all yoga does not hurt. I have practiced and taught restorative or yin yoga (which still sometimes hurts), and certain classes of Iyengar have been very helpful to me. I prefer to maintain some nice stretching at home for the moment. I live in Mexico where there are not a lot of options.

13. Head Out of the Sand says:

Thank you so much, Shana! I agree with you as well. I think this is the dirty little secret of the yoga industry (and it is an industry!). I am on injury #3 and I have had enough. Now, I'm sure the critics out there reading this have many accusatory questions for me some of which I will answer below:

"If it hurt for so long why did you continue to do it?" These injuries were in 3 separate areas of my body and, in each case, the minute I felt something off I stopped yoga and went to a doctor to have them checked. They were not preceded by an extended period of any kind of discomfort where I continued to practice; they were not precipitated by a specific physical event. These were repetitive stress injuries from exposing my body to the same yoga moves repeatedly over an extended period of time.

"Why were you competitive/pushed beyond your limits/did things beyond your capabilities?" I didn't do any of these things, I don't care what the person on the next mat is doing. I modified the hell out of my poses when needed and on a class by class basis. The yoga I did was alignment based and was not fast moving. I was encouraged to use yoga as a therapeutic tool to help heal injuries – if I only did things in "good alignment" I could cure my body and prevent injuries.

"Why did you not seek out an experienced teacher who could properly teach you about good alignment?" My teacher has over 10 years of experience and is very knowledgable in this area. I've been through a number of workshops and trainings myself focussing on alignment and have gone through a teacher training with a strong focus on anatomy, body mechanics and alignment as well. Neither my teacher nor I were negligent.

"Well, if you did everything right then why did you get injured? You must have been doing something wrong because we all know yoga is not to blame. Maybe yoga just 'isn't for you'?" Here is what I did "wrong" – I had the audacity to be born with a human body with natural, subtle misalignments that when exposed to the same repetitive movements developed structural strain resulting in injuries. I have practiced yoga for more than 20 years and up until this past year I had no problems and no injuries. Within the past 2-3 years my practice had ramped up to ~3+ classes per week. At one point I was doing 5 classes per week and I honestly felt great doing that, no strain, no pain, nothing really out of the ordinary .. but then I got the first injury seemingly out of nowhere. So I ramped it back and really focussed on alignment and paying close attention to body placement and effort detail. Then the second injury in another area – completely perplexing, but OK let's really scale things down and pay even more attention to my body. And then, whammo, another injury shows up in another part of my body. OK, something is not right here!

I spent several years in dance with this same body with its subtle misalignments, a few years surfing, so many years as a gym rat and I did not encounter the number of injuries I have experienced with consistent yoga practice. Sorry, it's the truth. I have also met a number of people through my many trainings and being at various studios that talk about the injuries they have gotten doing yoga and how they have worked through them. It almost seems par for the course that "serious practitioners" get injuries, just like serious athletes. Although I hear people talk about alignment until they are blue in the face I have yet to hear anyone say don't do yoga more than X many times in a week or you could cause repetitive stress injuries to your body; or if you are having strain/pain/discomfort please take a month or two off. That wouldn't be too good for business, would it?

I will end this very long soap box moment ;-) with a bit of a forewarning. Each time I went to the doctor to have these injuries checked they specifically asked me if this was "a yoga related injury", using those exact worda. And then a week or two later a legal letter came in the mail from the insurance company stating they think a third party could be liable for my injury and I should fill out the form stating if this was the case (I always fill it out saying there was no third party negligence because I don't believe there was). Yoga teachers better start paying attention to the realities of the dark side of the practice and stop with the knee-jerk defensiveness surrounding yoga practice. Sooner or later this is coming to bite you in the back side. At the very least keep you insurance up to date!

Sorry if I am serving it a bit hardball here but I really think some of you guys need a wake up call!

• Vision_Quest2 says:

"Yoga teachers better start paying attention to the realities of the dark side of the practice and stop with the knee-jerk defensiveness surrounding yoga practice. Sooner or later this is coming to bite you in the back side. At the very least keep you insurance up to date! "

Sing it, Head Out of the Sand … I'm a pilates student now. Fully realizing that pilates is more competitive than yoga is; but that's not a deterrent–pilates seems to agree with my internally-rotated hip joints and my knee injury (not sure what caused it), and costochondritis flare-up (caused by yoga HOME practice; was channeling former rabid Master Yoga Teacher at that moment …) and elbow bursitis (casued in a yoga class in a style I ADORED; but, again, the yogini teaching was a fanatic) …

Of course, I also find I have to cross-train and do N.E.A.T.s and not push myself …

• Head Out of the Sand says:

What is N.E.A.Ts??? I am getting back into pilates as well and touching base again with my gym rat roots which is pretty fun, I have to say! I've found some of the therapeutics associated active release technique, soft tissue work and fascia release to be beneficial. And, of course, I am always down for a nice restorative practice. But I am for sure done with open asana classes at studios for a good long while if not forever. Meditation and puja are where it's at for me on the spiritual side – I am ready and happy to leave the gymnastics behind with thanks for serving as my "gateway drug" to a deeper practice.

As yoga asana moves more and more into the mainstream I really do think the chickens are coming home to roost. Yoga related injuries are very much on the insurance company radar now. It's high time to drop the "blame the injured" attitude which does NOTHING to address the problems and engage in some sobering self reflection. Regulation is breathing down your neck, folks!

• Vision_Quest2 says:

N.E.A.T.s is partially explained in this article:

As I am chained to my desk at work many long hours (along with a lengthy commute), it finally, recently occurred to me to do triceps dips on my office chair …, and bent-leg lifts too … Maybe some day I might raise myself from the chair, straight legged like as if this were a low-slung Captain's Chair apparatus … have to be careful, though, this is a desk chair on wheels … sitting fitness is another form of N.E.A.T.s

Nothing wrong with moving your arms, while sitting, either. Can't do it when the boss is around; but he is not around some days … I do plenty of yoga still during the week, at home; but MY kind of yoga is characterized by accessible corework, NOT acrobatics ….

• Shana says:

Thanks for your insights. Yes, repetitive stress injuries for me as well, in my shoulders from too many chaturangas, in my low back from too many back bends, and in my hips from too much deep stretching that some postures demand. In fact, sometimes I am amazed how resilient people's bodies are, especially the ones I see practicing every day sometimes for 2 hrs a day. For me, with a scoliosis and other back problems that yoga did not help, and at some points made worse, I am finally finding a routine with exercise where I don't feel so much pain. I still believe strongly in stretching though to help prevent injury from other sports, but it doesn't have to be a 90 minute stretch session either.

• Head Out of the Sand says:

I'm really glad you posted this story. Too often people in the yoga world downplay or avoid publicly talking about injuries. There seems to be pressure to portray postural yoga as only healthy, only healing and always safe "if done correctly". If you get injured it's your fault – ego (showing off/competitive), ignorance (don't understand proper alignment or how to choose a teacher), or you are weak/less than (must be "not for you") – the shame and blame game. If you look at it from a purely biomechanical standpoint it is a no-brainer that doing 90 minute classes repeatedly more than a couple of times a week increases the risk of developing injuries. I know many of those people who practice daily or multiple times a week and almost all have had injuries associated with their practice at some point (maybe not so much the twenty-somethings). They know the risks and choose to continue practicing oftentimes using yoga principles to rehab their injuries.

I'm not advocating for doing away with postural yoga but rather to be forthcoming and honest with students about the risks (especially from repetitive strain) and stop selling and defending yoga only a harmless, beneficial exercise that will never hurt you.

14. Bobcat says:

Great post, Shana. Like you, I am healthier with sugar and wheat in my diet as well as plenty of oils and good old dairies. After studying Ayurveda I realized that these foods are good for me though may not be good for some. Whatever you have been practicing or learning throughout your life is yoga because you are able to find our for yourself what is balance for you. Not too many people and especially those of us trapped in the glitz and glamor of the commercial yoga/spiritual industry have the courage to do that.

Forget about asana classes. I teach yoga and I am totally into it. The exercise is just a tiny part and it is not important. I hardly "do" yoga. I do running and spending time outdoor much more than going to classes. Any mindful, meditative, embodiment activity is yoga. I feel no guilt of not "practicing" yoga in studios even though I teach there. People come to my classes because I teach embodiment and meditation in postures and in movements NOT aerobic yoga.

• Shana says:

Great to hear someone else also does better with wheat, sugar and dairy in their diet! I am similar to you also in that I like to do most of my exercise outside. So glad I don't live within the confines of a yoga room anymore.

15. Robyn says:

Thank you for this article! I dislike yoga classes and only practice in my home now, but I haven't actually admitted that out loud! It's not the competition that's the problem, like a lot of commenters have suggested–hot yoga does too much standing in one place and triggers my plantar faciitis; vinyasa flow and ashtanga go too fast for me to stay conscious of what's happening in my body and I either end up tweeking something or am completely out of sync with the rest of the class. (I don't care how much people say it doesn't matter what everyone else is doing — it's uncomfortable to be out of sync with everyone around you. And I don't know what the point is of being in the class then anyway.) Practicing at home I can go at my own pace and do poses that are comfortable for my body. I push myself only as much as I feel like I need to in order to improve my well-being. The dog lays on the couch watching me for awhile, snorts, and goes back to sleep.

• Troy says:

Sounds like you're doing the right thing by taking your own practice in your hands. As an Asthanga Vinyasa Yoga teacher I cant stress enough how important it is to take on a self guided practice (under the correct supervision of course). You're right, a led class is extremely fast and who breathes at the same pace as anyone else or can get into postures in one breath or less? Of course led classes are injuring people- they just arent ready to take on this advanced type of practice. When you take on a self guided practice you can slow it down, work at your own pace, and focus on what's really important- single pointed focus. Have I experienced injuries? Sure I have. Were they serious? No. The discomfort has gone away Within s couple of days or a couple of weeks. It is my experience after many years of practice that these are growing pains. Of course we want to make sure no one seriously injurs themselves, but soreness, tightness, or the occasional strain is part of the practice. Typically however if practiced in the correct way we can turn these "injuries" into transformations. My teacher says that injuries result from the body not being energized- meaning that we have to prepare the body energetically first before we start to manipulate it. Flexibility isnt everything in fact strength is what keeps us from over stretching or putting strain on weaker areas or relying on that good chaturang hand to carry our whole body weight. We have to learn the balance of sthira and sukha. So long story short, self guided practice with the right teacher is the way to go! Stayjng in synch with the speed and rhythm of a led class is for those with advanced asana practice- not the rest of us trying to keep up.

16. I think the lack of anatomy and bio-mechanics training in yoga teacher training is a big reason for the injuries and pain that can come with yoga……. my knees were burning up from yoga…. go to bed with ice on them…. now I don't do any lunges or squats ( which is in most power yoga classes) and only take classes from teachers with rigorous training in anatomy.. things are healing

17. my shoulder and neck problems seemed to get worse with power yoga… better with restorative yoga though

18. Edward Staskus says:

I have been practicing only Bikram Yoga at studios for about a year, eschewing all power and vinyasa flow classes. At home I practice basic hatha and yin yoga. The reason is that I suffered some injuries from doing poses I really wasn't ready for but muscled through anyway, and I gradually realized I was more suited to benefit from Bikram and yin yoga.
    Anyway, my two observations are: the more fit the power yoga teacher is, the harder the class is going to be. The hardest classes I took were always led by very fit teachers. Second, it is amazing what people will do to keep up with the pace of a
    power flow class. They will sacrifice form for function. I found that Bikram Yoga was good for me because form is strongly encouraged and accomplishing the final expression of the pose is not. There is no race to the finish line. It is a hard practice, but a restorative one at the same time.

19. [...] these are just my meager opinions, and only have as much power as the backlash people give them. Source RELATED NEWSThe Roundup for August 3, 2012Epic Israeli Response to Occupy Movement Tactics.mp4Once [...]

20. guest says:

Well said! I could not do yoga for years because of sciatica and my teacher said i was crazy till one day he ran across something and sure enough, you should not do yoga if you have sciatica. Now mine was gone so I took two classes and I feel it coming back unfortunately. I may have to work out the scar tissue more in the piriformus muscle but I will keep your article in mind especially for the long term. OH btw, got sciatica because of adhesions due to childbirth years ago, but it never bothered me till I was heavy into Pilates.

And I was going through something very similar with the wheat and sugar until I went raw vegan. When I start cheating in come the need for wheat and sugar…not sure what that is all about, probably candida or blood sugar so I stick with natural sugars….NOT agave I do better with maple syrup or raw organic cane. After a day or two of this I have to go back to raw or the addiction cycle starts all over again and in come the health issues and on raw organic vegan I don't have any! Psoriasis is gone too.

21. guest says:

I just posted, but as I think about it, I am eating something cooked and starchy every day since I signed up for yoga…all of three days only, but nonetheless, this could be the cause of my achey muscles. I really feel beat up and for me that makes so sense to do Hatha and feel this way because I am also trained in BJJ, Muay Thai and capoeira. With that said, I have been fully raw today, going to take my lemonade and MSM drink tonight on an empty stomach and see if I wake up feeling better. Then I will try all this again, yoga on a raw vegan diet and report back. Raw eliminates the inflammation throughout the body and cooked foods create it.

22. [...] she introduced frog pose, I slithered off to the bathroom and sobbed. I tried to focus on my current state. What the hell just happened? My hips ached. My breath was [...]