How We Can Defeat “Legitimate Rape” Akin.

Via on Aug 20, 2012

Update: “Akin’s rape opinion isn’t new. Earlier this year, every House Republican and 16 Blue Dog Democrats voted for a bill that would have redefined rape in federal statutes to be ‘forcible rape.’”

Update: Akin isn’t alone: Rep King has said something similar.

~

Support Claire McCaskill!

Okay, we’re all horrified/not that surprised, sadly, at this new GOP low. Well, here’s what to do about it: support Claire McCaskill, who’s fighting an uphill battle in Missouri:

YouTube Preview Image

Even if you can’t vote for her, you can donate $10 to her campaign:

clairemccaskill.com

“It is beyond comprehension that someone can be so ignorant about the emotional and physical trauma brought on by rape. The ideas that Todd Akin has expressed about the serious crime of rape and the impact on its victims are offensive.” ~ Claire McCaskill

YouTube Preview Image YouTube Preview Image

~

Via Reddit: “Here is the Woman that Todd Akin is trying to defeat: Claire McCaskill.”

Given the comments by her opponent Todd Akin, I though reddit might want to see some of Claire McCaskill, the woman he is trying to defeat’s positions. The race has been neck and neck throughout as Missouri is split pretty much 50/50 rural and urban areas.

Not to say all her positions are great, I don’t agree with her position on immigration or guest worker visas but there you have it.

About Waylon Lewis

18 Responses to “How We Can Defeat “Legitimate Rape” Akin.”

1. Mark Ledbetter says:

Well, we all know who Todd Akins is now!

I was kind of on the fence on the ‘legitimate rape’ issue. Without hearing the context, that phrase would normally mean something like: real honest-to-goodness rape. Responding in horror that ALL RAPE IS BAD YOU EVIL MAN! YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETIMES IT’S OK! sounds like partisan politicking to me and PC nit-picking of language usage. It wasn’t a great choice of words, but it certainly meant nothing like what it’s being made out to be in this political season.

On the other hand, he accompanied that with an assertion that the female body tends to automatically stops fertilization in the case of rape, a fishy sounding idea I’ve never heard before. This guy may not be the sharpest mind out there!

But just now I opened the political ads on this thread. Lo and behold, an honest politician! Calling student loans a cancer is certainly inflammatory but actually pretty accurate. Good solid economic principles (something ignored by both parties) tell us that pumping money into programs like, say, housing and education, creates a bubble of rising costs that must burst. We are still suffering from the burst housing bubble. The longer we keep pumping money into education loans, the higher costs will go and the bigger that bubble is going to get.

Any politician who doesn’t tell us the financial realities of student loans and social security is either dishonest or ignorant. At least on these two issues, Akins would seem to be honest and knowledgeable, two characteristics that will normally lose you an election. What does his opponent, McCaskill propose to do? The common solution is to kick them down the road so our children and grandchildren have to suffer. Akins at least is proposing to do something now before it gets worse.

On other issues listed at the bottom, McCaskill is better than most and I bet better than Akins on the incarceration of millions for non-violent crime. Bad as her position is on financial-related matters, this is even more important. On war and the military-industrial complex? Hardly a word, even though it’s a huge issue. Bet she and Akins are roughly equally bad on that one. If I was a Missourian, can’t really see how I could support either one.

• hkoren says:

The education I received thanks to the government supported community college and sponsored student loans which got me through my university has helped me to grow a small business which exports software to Asia. This makes a tiny dent in our overwhelming trade deficit. Without government supported higher education I would just be high school educated and in no position to be doing what I'm doing now: growing my company and paying off my student loans.

I am trying to hire new software developers, but I have a very hard time finding the right people to hire because there aren't enough people out there who are educated in the areas that I need. And meanwhile the unemployment rates are unacceptably high. Further cuts in education will only increase the amount of companies like mine who cant find qualified candidates to to fill their job openings.

Not that the student loan system is perfect… too much $$$ is spent on for-profit colleges who aren't producing graduates in the fields that are in demand. But comparing the system that educated me to other bubbles such as the dot com and housing market bubbles is just plain wrong. Of all the problems we have as a nation, being too educated is not one of them.

• Mark Ledbetter says:

Hi hkoren. Congratulations on your accomplishments. I know there are millions more, including myself, who have used the system as it is to find a good job and contribute to the world's betterment at the same time. Similarly, there are also millions who benefited from govt loan programs to buy a house. There are always lots of people who benefit from bubbles, especially in early stages. That doesn't make the bubbles good. The overall effect of bubbles is always mal-investment and higher prices. The college loan bubble gives us both.

Colleges are extremely uncreative in the kinds of education they offer because the govt tap makes creativity unnecessary. The govt tap perpetuates the myth that all you need is a college education, that ANY field of study will help you find a nice job. So many (most?) kids study what they want to study and not what the market is calling for. This is fine for rich kids, but if you are going to school to get a good job, it's nothing but a big scam that often leaves them jobless and tens of thousands of dollars in debt. And leaves companies like yours unable to find workers (mal-investment). It IS a bubble, and 'cancer' is not a bad metaphor for it.

• hkoren says:

Cancer is an absolutely horrible metaphor for student loans. There are plenty of worthy student loans that go towards worthy degrees, get paid off by graduates who made more money because of their educations. There are no good cancer cells that go towards building good tumors that end up helping the host body to be healthier. Don't throw the baby: my education, and my future employees education, out with the bathwater.

• Mark Ledbetter says:

Good point. Cancer is ALL bad, not a mixture of good and bad. The metaphor is not quite as good as I suppossed. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll be careful not to use it. I guess just plain ol' bubble is plenty good enough as a metaphor. Good day to you and again congrats on turning that college ed. Into something useful and productive.

2. Edward Staskus says:

It is very odd that a lawmaker would use the word "legitimate" is relation to something that is assault and battery at the very least. I don't believe there is anything "legitimate" about physically attacking someone just because you wanted to.

• cathy says:

his deplorable vocabulary will sink him.. if we dont know what word smean an duse them interchangeable.. then noone knows what we mean..
      uh-oh. that may be a good political maneuver..
      oops I didnt mean what I said exactly because I didnt knwo what I said. Now that you have spelled it out to me I no wmean.." I couldn't possibly mean anything which would bring public anger!"

3. Mamaste says:

Just intro'd on FB to: Englightened.
    ~Mamaste

4. tea says:

There's one thing women's bodies CAN shut down. It's the Republican Party

5. @Suri_k8 says:

This is a great example of what is wrong with politicians that are scientifically illiterate and how this ignorance of the facts ultimately affects society through bad policy and bad laws.

Republicans seem to think a world without science is a good thing …they are so lost.

• platofish says:

Despite strong evidence that he is scientifically illiterate, Mr. Akin sits on the House Science committee……. I find that notion horrifying!

• Mark Ledbetter says:

LOL Platofish. But I'm not horrified. Ya gotta laugh or cry when you look at who's on committees. I prefer to laugh.

You have: the economically illiterate on budget, finance, and banking committees (the most damaging of the various illiteracies); the environmentally illiterate on environmental committees; the educationally illiterate on education committees… Illiteracy probably runs rampant in every committee there is. This is one reason I'm not a liberal. With liberal (i.e. governmental) solutions to society's problems, the people in charge are selected by an illiterate populous and motivated in their decisions by super rich corporations.

In fact that idea that government can solve our problems is, I think, a good indication of political illiteracy. (This last comment is intended sorta kinda in jest. Brought a smile to my own face, anyway. Not sure it'll have the same effect at place like Ele. Any smiles out there?)

6. Mark Ledbetter says:

Edward and Cathy,

Ok, I'll come clean. I'm a linguist, my job is how people use words. And I still maintain that "legitimate rape," depending on context (and human language ALWAYS requires context for correct interpretation) does NOT mean "rape is legitimate." Legitimate rape means real honest-to-goodness rape, a horrible, violent, deplorable act. The context that Akins used makes it clear that this interpretation was his intention. The context also makes it clear that he may be supporting a repugnant policy and that his scientific literacy, as Suri points out, is lacking, but those are different issues. His use of the word 'legitimate' is normal here. If it were not, he wouldn't have used the word.

I still maintain that jumping on politicians for word usage such as this is partisan politicking and PC nit-picking. It side-tracks us from real issues. It makes politics akin to a game where attack dogs win. And it makes emotion more important than reason. There were problems to what Akins said, but use of the word 'legitimate' was not one of them.

Btw, lol Cathy on "that may be a good political maneuver."

• Edward Staskus says:

I see what you mean, and agree, but it was still inappropriate to use that word in the context of rape. As for partisan politicking, I only vote for anarchists.

7. Mike says:

He was reiterating the Republican position that any pregnant woman claiming to be raped is a liar. If it wasn't a presidential election year it wouldn't get press.Romney and Ryan are now forced to crab in order to show some semblance of sanity to swing voters. How sad.

8. [...] Representative Todd Akin recently revealed his exciting discovery about women’s reproduction. [...]

9. yogi henry says:

Wow…one ignorant or incorrect idea does not mean the other politician is correct and should be automatically supported.

This video is heartbreaking, it shows an actual late term abortion. I DO NOT recommend watching it unless you are Liberal and approve of Obama’s stance on this procedure. Obama voted 3X’s to prevent aid for an abortion survivor.
    WARNING!

If Claire supports this; my question is which is the worse of the two?