Update: Akin isn’t alone: Rep King has said something similar.
Support Claire McCaskill!
Okay, we’re all horrified/not that surprised, sadly, at this new GOP low. Well, here’s what to do about it: support Claire McCaskill, who’s fighting an uphill battle in Missouri:
Even if you can’t vote for her, you can donate $10 to her campaign:
“It is beyond comprehension that someone can be so ignorant about the emotional and physical trauma brought on by rape. The ideas that Todd Akin has expressed about the serious crime of rape and the impact on its victims are offensive.” ~ Claire McCaskill
Given the comments by her opponent Todd Akin, I though reddit might want to see some of Claire McCaskill, the woman he is trying to defeat’s positions. The race has been neck and neck throughout as Missouri is split pretty much 50/50 rural and urban areas.
- Against estate tax repeal takes care of millionaires
- Voted YES on increasing tax rate for people earning over $1 million.
- Against PIPA
- Believes we should raise the minimum wage
- Improve mental health care benefits for returning veterans.
- Repeal Don’t-Ask-Don’t-Tell, and reinstate discharged gays.
- Restore habeas corpus for detainees in the War on Terror.
- Opposes annual limit on federal Medicare spending.
- Expand Medicare for people, not for drug companies.
- Negotiate for lower Rx prices and reimportation.
- Uncovering Medicaid waste reduces cost of medicine.
- Voted NO on the Ryan Budget: Medicare choice, tax & spending cuts.
- Believes US should create respect abroad, not just fear
- Supports fair trade which avoids shipping jobs overseas
- Energy independence by 2020 via alternative fuels.
- She has not taken a position on Marijuana legalization, however she believes the prison system is overcrowded with nonviolent drug offenders and she is much more focused on illegal production of Methamphetamines (a huge problem in MO).
Not to say all her positions are great, I don’t agree with her position on immigration or guest worker visas but there you have it.
hot on elephant
Learn to Rock your Social Media & Write Mindfully with Waylon Lewis & Elephant’s Editors. 1 share A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 0 shares If you Love her, Don’t Destroy Her. 29,525 shares 2017 is The Year of Kali, Goddess of Endings & Beginnings. 37,132 shares The Best Marriage Advice from a Divorced Woman. 2,117 shares The True Meaning of Friday the 13th (isn’t what we think). 5,275 shares The Technique that helps me make Decisions under Pressure (& has Saved my Life More than Once). 540 shares Use This Buddhist Practice to Overcome Self-Doubt. 456 shares I’m Done being your Dirty Little Secret. 0 shares 3 Seconds: “Joe Biden’s reaction to President Obama awarding him the Presidential Medal of Freedom (with distinction).” 1,164 share