Intuition is the New Thinking. ~ Wendy De Rosa

Via on Oct 2, 2012

During the Age of Reason, consciousness moved from instinctive knowing to science-based reason. This was valuable historically because without science and reason we would not have advanced as a conscious culture. And yet, reason does not quell our yearning to ask soul-satisfying questions.

In his essay The Over-Soul, Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote:

“The soul is the perceiver and revealer of truth. We know truth when we see it, let skeptic and scoffer say what they choose. Foolish people ask you, when you have spoken what they do not wish to hear, ‘How do you know it is truth, and not an error of your own?’ We know truth when we see it, from opinion, as we know when we are awake that we are awake.”

Reasoning from the mind makes logical sense, but a person may quest beyond logic and reason when driven by a deeper sense.

This deeper sense, which comes from the soul, directs us through life with the help of intuition—the voice inside that tells you what is right and wrong in the moment. It also generates body sensations that give you a ‘feeling’ that you should or should not do something.

What makes intuition unique is the fact that you never need a reason to question your intuition. Explanations come in time. Intuition works on universal time or Divine timing. A person may not know at the time why s/he is getting a gut feeling to take a different route home from work, and only find out later that evening that there was an accident on her/his usual route.

Trying to reason with intuition actually creates mental confusion and inner conflict. If a person chose the logical route over the intuitive sense and was in any way involved in the accident, in addition to the upset at being involved in an accident, s/he would also be upset at not listening to her/his gut.

It is very important at this time in our development to normalize intuition. Consciousness is changing as people listen to and act on intuitive information in order to live more meaningful lives and help others. The soul makes itself known to us when we naturally and involuntarily receive intuition; it has always been a human sense.

Albert Einstein once said:

“The intellect has little to do on the road to discovery. There comes a leap in consciousness, call it intuition or what you will, and the solution comes to you and you don’t know how or why.”

This consciousness he speaks of is active today; jobs are being created because people are generating business ideas from intuitive-based thinking. As a culture, we are now more motivated by empathy and gut feelings than we’ve ever previously allowed ourselves to openly acknowledge before.

In order to feel inner motivation clearly, it becomes important to separate intuition from the voice of fear. In order to hear intuition clearly, it is necessary to bring out into the open and process the open wounds of fear. This can be done through self-reflection, by means of a therapeutic process or other healing modalities.

One way to differentiate fear from intuition is that when something feels right in the body, the body will relax when intuition is clear. Fear can be intuition if it propels a person from danger, in which case the body may feel relieved after moving out of harm’s way. On the other hand, if a person reacts from fear instead of from intuition, there is often an unsettled feeling or maybe a backlash of feelings, perhaps even the need to justify the decision over and over again because something about it still doesn’t feel right or clear.

Intuition can be tricky.

I’ve personally made many decisions in my life based on how my body feels about a certain choice. I could find many reasons why both choices were good ones, but in the end, my body felt most settled when I listened to its signals or my internal voice. Conversely, I’ve made decisions where my body didn’t relax with either choice, and still I picked one choice over the other, because choosing was better than being stuck in confusion.

For example, I’ll share that I lived in Colorado for nine years and moved away to California for almost five years. Every single day I spent in California, my intuitive voice told me to move back to Colorado; it actually cried out many times to move back. When I finally considered leaving California, there was a great deal of confusion because in my heart I knew I had to make it back to Colorado, yet I was also feeling my traveling spirit getting excited about a new place. I knew that if I went back to Colorado, then I would settle down and miss some part of my journey I hadn’t fulfilled yet.

So, I moved to Austin, Texas instead. My internal voice still called out for Colorado while I was in Austin, but I knew I had to be in Austin for the time being. The friendships I made and connection to family I had down in Austin was purposeful. It meant something that I was in Austin for three years and it still means something to me today. I eventually returned to Colorado, and the internal voice finally quieted down. That pining was gone, I had returned home.

At times, the intuitive voice will call for a change, but the direction to go may not exactly be clear. In those cases, I tell people to keep walking forward until you feel a stop. If it doesn’t feel like your fighting a current, then breathe through your fear and keep going forward.

Another reason intuition is so important in our day and age is because whether you are an alternative thinking, right-brained individual or a left-brain conservative, consciousness is changing; it’s already happening. Even in the face of a conservative culture trying to retain old-fashioned norms, those who are tapping into their intuition are connecting to a universal source that driving current shifts.

The force of life is bigger than reason and those who are conscious and awake are channeling that momentum into reality. Individuals staying connected through prayer, meditation, introspection, conscious thought, heart-based living, yoga, etc., are changing the world as we know it. Not motivated by reason, they are motivated by an intuitive awareness that the world needs to come into alignment with the true values of basic spirituality such as Love, Kindness, Peace, Right Action and the like.

Our true spirituality is our spirit living in alignment fully with the Divine. I use the word Divine, but God, Spirit, Source, Universe, Love, are all relatable terms. Our intuition leads us through the life experiences that will ultimately create alignment for us when we are consciously aware of that quest.

Our spirit is already aligned to the Divine and through intuition, and we hear our spirit’s directions. This relationship is reflected in many religions and spiritual movements. Within some organized religions, however, fear remains a driving force within their belief systems.

Again, as consciousness rises, people are learning to look at their true feelings and process them. Feelings block intuition. Fear blocks intuition. It’s no coincidence that more people are turning to yoga, therapy and coaching. It’s also no wonder that therapy itself is changing from a practice that mostly focused on talking through the past, to one that highlights processing emotions and energy through the body in order for transformation to occur.

What choices would be possible for us if we were to make them based on intuition, rather than based on fear?

Intuition is the new thinking. People are contemplating life goals and decisions less from reason and more from intuition. It’s what drove Steve Jobs to take risks and reinvent his ideas over and over again in Apple Computers. When giving the commencement speech at Stanford University, he gave this advice:

“Don’t be trapped by what others expect or succumb to their opinions. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become.”

Wendy De Rosa is the author of Energy Healing Through the Chakras- A Guide to Self-Healing, and a co-author in Bouncing Back: Thriving in Changing Times, with Dr Wayne Dyer, Brian Tracey and other leaders in the field of self-growth. Wendy offers one of the most evolutionary trainings on developing intuition in the country. For more information on the Healer Training Program visit: www.heldinlight.com/calendar-programs/the-healer-training-program

~

Editor: Jennifer Townsend

Like elephant Spirituality on Facebook

About elephant journal

26 Responses to “Intuition is the New Thinking. ~ Wendy De Rosa”

1. Stephanie says:

Great article. I help women transform their relationship with food, and in my line of work it’s crucial that clients learn how to access their intuition, rather than getting overwhelmed by the overload of conflicting nutritional information out there.

• That's great Stephanie! What intuitive tools do you use to help women in that moment of overwhelm with food? What's your website, by the way? Thanks so much for posting!!

2. Celeste says:

Learning that you can trust yourself is the first step to living confidently!

• I love this, Celeste! It's so great that you mention how confidence is really tied to intuition. I have thoughts on this, but I'm curious what more you'd have to say about how the two connect. Thanks for posting!

3. Kristen says:

Lovely article. Intuition is state-dependent, it doesn't work so well when we are rushed and stressed. I pray we all have time for reflection.

• Agreed, Kristen. Thanks for your comment. I'm curious if when you write "state-dependent', you mean that one can "tune in" when they are less rushed and stressed?

4. Bonnie says:

I enjoyed this article immensely. Very thought provoking.
    As someone who has always had strong intuition, but many times did not know exactly how to really trust it, I find the many tips, Wendy gives, helpful and will look forward to applying in my life.
    Wendy is very clear and articulate in how she presents what she tries to teach. Also loved the analogies and quotes used.

5. lucy says:

Great article! I agree that if you truly follow your intuition, it will never lead you astray.

6. Thanks so much, Bonnie! I'm glad you were able to relate to the information and that it really speaks to what's already inside you. I appreciate your comment!

7. Science has shown itself to not be the cure all, but when important scientific discoveries are made, you hear how intuition was paramount; for example, Issac Newton and the falling apple. I recall reading a NYT article about science weather forecasting, and how the best forecasters where the ones which consulted their computer models but finalized the forecast with their intuition. I am sure most of the readers are already aware of using this technique in their personal lives, but it bears repeating. I welcome the New Age of Intuition. Thank you to Wendy De Rosa for her article.

8. Juli says:

I couldn't agree more Wendy. Thank you for sharing your personal experiences. When you follow your intuition it is so much fun, it's like exploring as a kid. Try it and you'll notice your checks hurt because your smiling so eagerly. It feels slightly rebellious when you decide to choose intuition over logic and I like that excited feeling. You feel FREE and HAPPY, no regrets because you know all is good.

9. Dee says:

Fabulous article! I hope more people see this and find truth and guidance from it ;o) Thanks for posting.

10. ED says:

Great article Wendy! For those of us with an affinity to science, it reminds us that innovation requires a leap of faith or break out from the science that came before…the same can be applied to our relationships and life experiences.

11. Holly says:

LOVED this article, Wendy. Such wonderful reminders about the beauty inherent in trusting ourselves. "The heart wants what the heart wants." (not sure who originally said this, but how true…..)

12. Suzanne says:

I love this article , Wendy, & especially that “intuition is nothing but an expression of God ” . How important it is for us each to slow down enough to hear it, & then to act on it ! Thank you for another great teaching !

13. Julie says:

What a fabulous article Wendy!

14. Debbie Katz says:

I agree..Practicing and listening to my intuition is great. It brings me into gratitude and joy.

• Ellen says:

Yes, I also feel that gratitude and joy is the direct result of a fully-operating intuitive energy. We cannot help but see life as it truly is – not ours' alone, but Something Other's – that is gracious, gentle and kind. Keeping a slower pace is essential to activating this meditative 'discussion'. It has profound consequences on our behavior and subsequently, on the behavior of those who are around us. Peace is a greater personal energy than even we can understand. The mind and body were meant to live in peace, not in anxiety. This, I have learned and have activated over the past 10 years. It feels good.. Wisdom is a wonder.

15. [...] Read the article: Intuition is the New Thinking [...]

16. Michele O'Toole says:

Wendy, I too find what you said to be true:) Thanks for putting it into words.

17. jaime says:

Great article Wendy! I love how you define the difference between intuition and fear, thank you for that. It can feel like such a complex distinction, with so much confusion attached, and I love the way that you explained it. I will come back to this :)

18. Chanah says:

I am grateful to Wendy for elucidating the important subject of intuition. I had never thought about the ways my emotions get in the way of my receiving intuition. This article gave me a point of clarity.

19. [...] mobile above her crib, a new stuffed animal or the funny faces we make. We ask her not to react to her internal sensations—to stop crying, even if she is upset, hungry or uncomfortable. Often the stuffed animals and [...]