The 4 Ingredient Tea that Always Kicks My Colds.

Via Kate Bartolotta
on Dec 23, 2012
get elephant's newsletter

Photo: David Leggett on Flickr.

Colds during the holidays are no fun.

I’ve been sick all week, but once I started doing this faithfully again, my cough started to subside. This falls under one of those “yeah, the science is there to explain why, but it just really helps me feel better” sorts of things.

Step 1.

A heaping tablespoon of local honey.

Step 2.

The juice of one lemon

Step 3.

Some cayenne. A few shakes or more if you can take it.

Step 4.

A slice of raw ginger

The combination of warming spices, warming and soothing honey and astringent, sour lemon work better than anything I’ve ever tried to get rid of winter colds.

Add hot water and keep repeating until that cough and cold are gone!

~

Relephant:

Drink Hot Turmeric Milk & Stay Healthier This Winter.

Make this Yummy Facial Moisturizer at Home.

~

Like elephant health & wellness on Facebook.

About Kate Bartolotta

Kate Bartolotta is a wellness cheerleader, yogini storyteller, and self-care maven. She also writes for Huffington Post, Yoga International, Mantra Yoga+ Health, a beauty full mind, The Good Men Project, The Green Divas, The Body Project, Project Eve, Thought Catalog and Soulseeds. Kate's books are now available on Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble.com. She is passionate about helping people fall in love with their lives. You can connect with Kate on Facebook and Instagram.

Comments

13 Responses to “The 4 Ingredient Tea that Always Kicks My Colds.”

1. too true, Kate… my mom used to call it "sicky tea"

2. michelle pessin says:

Thanks Kate…LOVED your bio…OMG !!! …we share SO much: kale! … palindromes! …giving up learning knitting!… blackberries!… barefooting! …magic tricks! …changing the world!!! …being a compassionate friend!!!! …not learning to play the accordian!!! …galivanting!!! … and, of course exclamation marks!!! BUT I must say, I totally adore ellipsis…and have definitely been accused of overuse…"misuse"???

will def. join your entourage!!! …happy holidays…:)

3. Linda V. Lewis says:

This tea is great when you feel well as well!

4. maria m. says:

came down with a cold this morning….sipping my tea now and it is so good and making me feel better. (preferable alternative to cold meds) Thank you!

5. […] work and family busyness and being sick for the past two weeks, my asana practice has been nearly non-existent this month. So, when Rachel Brathen mentioned she […]

6. meribeth says:

wow. i'm sipping my first cup on the first day of the crud and even if it doesn't help, it's yummy and comforting. thank you :)

7. Kelly Ogborn says:

In my silver metal water bottle there is always a mixture of apple cider vinegar, cayenne, and liquid ginger concentrate. It’s a 24oz bottle into which I put 2 Tbs of Braggs vinegar, 1Tbs of The Ginger People liquid ginger, and because I love the rush- 1heaping teaspoon of cayenne. Then fill the rest with hot or cold water, weather depending. This a pure energy, feel-good drink which keeps me going all day!

8. ronna26 says:

We make the same tea….I knew there were more reasons I adored you…

9. Claire says:

Nice recipe… I'll try soon !
    Although I've already tried something similar that works : just spike this version with a dash of rum… it will make you sweat the cold off (and kill the bacterias) !!!

10. Melanie Sakowski says:

Hi Kate!

That was a great article, and one of the best bio’s I’ve ever had the pleasure to read. Exploding with radiance, vivacious and unadulterated bliss and resplendence, you are a beam of light to the world.

11. Valerie says:

I make a version of this tea (just add turmeric) when I'm sick or feeling like I'm coming down with something. It's a life saver! Thanks for sharing. :)

12. BmH says:

Is it ok to drink while pregnant and/or breastfeeding?