Perfect soup for summer heat: Traditional Russian Raw Okroshka.
Okroshka is a perfect soup that Russians love to eat in the summer when it’s hot. The original recipe is not raw and not vegan but with some creativity I made it raw, vegan, absolutely guilt–free and delicious!
It’s a must try during summer heat.
The main ingredient in this soup is avocado. It should be ripe but not too soft.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 2 avocado, cut in big cubes
- 3-4 leaves of Chinese cabbage, leaves cut as desired and the core cut in cubes
- 3-4 leaves Iceberg lettuce, cut
- 2-3 medium cucumbers, half cut in cubes, half julienned
- 1-2 handfuls of rukkola, cut if it’s too big
- 2 handfuls of sorrel, cut in small pieces
- small bunch of green onions, cut
- 1 small red onion, cut in small pieces
- Small bunch of dill, cut
“Kvas” (700-800 ml):
- 3 glasses of almond milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 small radishes
Blend everything until smooth.
Cashew sour cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for a couple of hours)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 small lemon, juiced
Place nuts in a food processor.
Add 1/4 cup cold water, salt, vinegar and lemon juice.
Puree for 3-4 minutes or until completely smooth and creamy in consistency.
- Put prepared vegetables in a big bowl
- Add Kvas· Add black pepper, as desired
- Add sea salt or pink salt, as desired
- Stir everything
- Pour into individual bowls
- Add cashew sour cream as desired
Enjoy amazing summer Russian Raw Okroshka—from Russia with Love!
Like elephant food on Facebook
Assist Ed: Julie Garcia / Ed: Cat Beekmans
[Photo: Saucy Salad on Flickr. ]
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 1,410 share Learn to Rock your Social Media & Write Mindfully with Waylon Lewis & Elephant’s Editors. 5 shares 2017 is The Year of Kali, Goddess of Endings & Beginnings. 23,340 shares If you Love her, Don’t Destroy Her. 15,619 shares The Best Marriage Advice from a Divorced Woman. 2,085 shares How to Disentangle ourselves from Karmic Relationships that Drive us Crazy. 160 shares The True Meaning of Friday the 13th (isn’t what we think). 5,264 shares The Technique that helps me make Decisions under Pressure (& has Saved my Life More than Once). 457 shares The 6 Best Spiritual Teachings of Wayne Dyer to help us Get Over Ourselves. 1,858 share Use This Buddhist Practice to Overcome Self-Doubt. 427 shares