Forget Sephora: Winter Skin Care Samadhi Starts with 3 Homemade Products.

Via on Nov 23, 2013

face the mirror, hypocritical, denial, who are you?

Relephant reads:

Oil Cleansing: How to Have Amazingly Clear & Radiant Skin.

Six Foods to Make Your Skin & Hair Healthy.

The Secret Link: Radiant Skin & Immunity.

Until recently, I used to purchase all my skincare items at the local drugstore.

Then I came upon an article about essential oils and their beneficial properties.

The literature posited an interesting suggestion: One could create a skin care routine that was effective, relatively inexpensive, and fun to use, by combining essential oils and items which could also be found in the pantry.

I will admit: initially I thought it sounded like a bunch New-Agey hogwash. Couldn’t a radiant complexion only be obtained by dropping $268 for pricey, wallet-busting cosmeceuticals at Sephora? Who puts straight oil on the skin?

The logic is counter-intuitive.

So, I tried it! And I love it! My skin has never felt softer or lighter—and my wallet has never been heavier!

After a bit of tinkering, I have devised a new skin care regimen for late fall. I am…shhhh!….going to share the recipes.

(A caveat: Essential oils are very concentrated. Some people have allergies or sensitivities to essential oils. Please, please be aware of this. Do not test new oils directly on the face. Test each finished product on a small patch of skin before use.)

Face Oil:

1 oz. avocado oil
2 drops ylang ylang oil
2 drops jasmine oil (Or other essential oils of your choice.)

Place in a small bottle with dropper. Shake to blend. Keep out of sunlight. Use several drops per day for cleansing and moisturizing. You will want to keep this away from eyes.

Face Toner:

a few sprays of rose water after cleansing

Toning and refreshing! Keep in the refrigerator if you desire a cold spray!

Under Eye Cream/ Dry Hand Cream:

one tablespoon of high quality, organic coconut oil
one drop essential oil of your choice (I like geranium or lavender)

Voila! Self-sufficiency never felt so fun!

It is best to purchase the highest grade, organic essential oils and oils possible. (I used Aura Cacia and NOW! essential oils.)

Want 15 free additional reads weekly, just our best?

Get our weekly newsletter.

Editor: Bryonie Wise

About Marthe Weyandt

Marthe Weyandt is a Pittsburgh-based yoga instructor and freelance writer. She enjoys traveling and spending time in the great outdoors. She is currently learning to play guitar, albeit badly and at frequencies only dogs can hear. She believes in the power of the word, creatively and lovingly rendered, to create positive change in the world. She has a Bachelor’s in English and Religion from Dickinson College and a Master’s in International Affairs from Columbia University. She spent two years as an English instructor with the United States Peace Corps in Madagascar. Check out some of her other work here.

19 Responses to “Forget Sephora: Winter Skin Care Samadhi Starts with 3 Homemade Products.”

1. Shana says:

Thank you for these tips! Any thoughts on or recommendations for sun block? Home made or store bought product, I can’t find one that doesn’t irritate my skin.

Namaste

• Marthe Weyandt kelan493 says:

I'm glad you asked about the sunblock. From what I understand, it is necessary to use sunblock while using essential oils on the face. Oil can magnify the damaging effects of sun exposure (as anybody who has ever sun-tanned with baby oil knows! Yuck!) I use some store-bought sunblock with the oil in the morning — but perhaps others have other suggestions!

2. sandra says:

I've been making a moisture cream from (grass-fed) beef tallow, olive oil (8:1 ratio) and sandalwood or jasmine essential oils. Lasts a long time and makes your skin really radiant (which is a big plus for menopausal skin). sorry, not vegetarian or vegan. I also use coconut oil but it's too light for winter; works great as a personal lubricant! Also a big plus for menopausal women…

• Marthe Weyandt kelan493 says:

Thanks for your recipe, Sandra! I've never heard of using beef tallow, but I'm sure it would be emollient-rich! Where can you buy it?

3. kalisisrising says:

I use coconut oil, straight out of the jar, in the shower for face, neck and cleavage cleanser. Since I started about a year ago, I get SO MANY compliments! It's crazy. Before that, I was using Arbonne, which I loved, but it was super expensive. This is easy and cheap!

• tanya says:

I find it does not even moisturize my hands. I know the girl at the health food store uses it for tanning, cause it turns oily, but she did not recommend for body, face all the time. I think it is just a faze. But will always be used for cooking.

4. Alina says:

I use Shea butter,is pure gold.

5. I just use plain coconut oil for everything. :)

6. Tanya says:

Coconut oil does end up clogging pores in the long run. I would not use on my face.

7. Freyja says:

Using essential oils daily on your skin are absorbed into the bloodstream and kill gut flora which can make you really sick over time.

• Marthe Weyandt kelan493 says:

Thank you for the warning! How long is too long to be using these oils topically? And, how much is too much for daily consumption? I'd be very interested in some additional information!

• karen says:

Where did you hear eo. are bad for the gut flora?

8. Kim says:

Thanks for this article and great timing! I've been experimenting with essential oils recently for stress reduction and for mental clarity, and I think I see some benefit. But how does your face oil cleanse your skin? Exactly what do you do? I'm confused.

• Marthe Weyandt kelan493 says:

You use it in place of your usual cleanser, in the morning and evening. Oils — like avocado, coconut, jojoba — are moisture rich and can remove make-up and other impurities. (Avoid olive oil, which makes many people break out.) Then you can use a few drops as a moisturizer.

9. Lauren says:

I LOVE coconut oil! I use it everywhere now since I discovered it. My skin stays soft for 2-3 days after using it, even in winter, even with showers, even after shaving!

10. Ali says:

Even for combination skin with acne? Or is there a certain recipe?

11. Well written post… whatever the season, healthy or glowing skin is cornerstone of beauty confidence. Thanks for warned me in your post regarding allergies and sensitivities through the use of oils. But, use of oils does tanned my skin so what can I do.. Thanks for sharing this amazing post.