14 Things I Don’t Do Anymore. ~ Sarvasmarana Ma Nithya

Via on Mar 29, 2014

Screen Shot 2014-03-29 at 1.14.43 PM

These are just a few little things I have learned along the way. When I have let go of these—I have experienced such liberation, joy and peace within myself.

1. Wake up and look at Facebook right away. Instead I make a perfect latte and read something spiritual to feed my soul for the day and set the tone for how for how I want it to unfold.

2. Rush around scrambling for time. Instead I give myself more time even if that includes waking up much earlier to do things I want to accomplish which allows me to slow down. This allows me to practice being mindful with all my thoughts and actions along with practicing being in the moment. Rushing around is an offense to the soul.

3. Criticize or judge others—if I do this I am only judging and criticizing myself. Everyone is an extension of me.

4. Gossip. Gossiping destroys our consciousness and weakens our being. Instead I remove myself and don’t engage in it at all costs.

5. Speak harshly about myself. Our body and mind listens to every thought and word we speak to ourselves. Instead I practice compassion for myself and acceptance.

6. Eat animals and their by-products. This keeps me in alignment with ahimsa (non-violence) and because of it I feel I am making a difference to all beings and the planet.

7. Watch TV, read or listen to the news. Most of the time it is filled with negative propaganda and impressions. If it’s important enough the information will find me.

8. Swear as much. The more the hard shell of my existence crumbles (the identity of what I think I am) the more my being softens and the less I feel compelled to use such harsh words. We are defined by our words.

9. Emotional eating and stuffing myself with food until I am sick and depressed. Instead I sit with myself and work through all the painful emotions and allow myself to feel them with intense depth and awareness. This floods my being with pure consciousness thus they get eliminated from my system—leaving me free from old pains and grievances.

10. Request and require the approval to others. Nothing is more liberating than being Self-approved. Needing others approval keeps us in bondage and limits our expansion.

11. Compare myself to others. This is poison to our system. When I compare myself to others it’s a sign that I am not living to my peak potential and authenticity. Instead I celebrate my uniqueness and express myself authentically.

12. Pretend to be something I am not. We all wear masks to hide who we really are for many reasons. This keeps the ego functioning to full capacity and in suffering. When we drop the masks—our full potential shines through and we gain power and energy through self-expression.

13. Interrupt others while they are speaking either externally or internally. Which means while they are speaking I am not allowing myself to be distracted with my thoughts of what I am going to say next or thinking about something else like what I am going to have for dinner. Instead I hold the space for pure listening to happen. When I listen to others I listen to myself.

14. Lie to myself. Instead I honor my true being—who I really am, with all its flaws, imperfections and its beauty. I am not limited to boundaries or my ego. When I let go of this I remember who I really am—which is pure consciousness a reflection of Divinity.

When I look back at this list I can see how far I have come on this journey of transformation—it has not been easy but it is possible. It’s a slow and steady process but the results are long standing. Life is a practice and to be enjoyed.

Relephant Reads:

From Desire to Fulfillment.

6 Secrets I’ve Learned to Fulfill My Love Life.

Growing Or Rotting: It’s A Choice.

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

Editor: Cat Beekmans

Photo Credit: Flickr

About Sarvasmarana Ma Nithya

Sarvasmarana Ma Nithya is spiritual activist and enlightenment junkie sharing and expressing the Divine that lives within. She has lived in India, off and on, the last few years while studying with her guru Paramahamsa Nithyananda—a rare living incarnation from South India. Sarvasmarana is a Soul Purpose Facilitator and utilizes intuitive guidance to help you cause your reality. She believes that when one transforms oneself, we are transforming the entire cosmos. You can connect with her on Facebook, Twitter and her blog.

25 Responses to “14 Things I Don’t Do Anymore. ~ Sarvasmarana Ma Nithya”

1. Mailornish says:

I'm wondering if you have ever had to deal with relationship adjustments because you are not gossiping? How do you handle not connecting with people on that toxic, negative level but still show you want to make the connection?

• Sarvasmarana Ma Nithya Sarvasmarana says:

Hi Mailornish,

I have found that when I have an issue or incompletion with someone instead of talking about it in a harsh way with others about my frustrations, etc. I speak with the person directly with whom I am in contact. This clears up the disturbance, mis-communications, or any grievances we may have.
      My definition of 'gossiping' is speaking harshly about others. This is not necessary as it pollutes my consciousness. Accepting where others are on their path brings me inner peace and zero conflict.
      I hope this helps,
      Sarvasmarana

2. Veronica says:

This is beautiful and perfect. Thank you for sharing.

3. julian says:

oh dear !

4. Bay says:

Strong stuff.

5. Erika says:

Very strong stuff. The only thing I would keep is watching/reading the news, because I like being mindful of the world I'm living in (and it's not all negative).

6. geetha says:

I really liked this. However, I am confused by 7– I think it is important to know what is happening in the world as it shapes our decisions and perception on many levels. It also keeps us from living the self-centered existence that can come from thinking that our world only consists of what we experience on a daily basis. One can be conscientious about the sources of information consumed– the information that finds you is not guaranteed to have the most integrity!

• Sarvasmarana Ma Nithya Sarvasmarana says:

Indeed! One must do what is in alignment with our own personal integrity. We all know what works and what does not for each of us.
      Blessings!

7. encounterillumination says:

I'm with you on most of these..hurray for us!! woot woot…thank you!

8. rebellefemme says:

I love this. I want to do all of this (not veganism, however. I've tried it and it's not the lifestyle for me). But I do want to make certain adjustments to my life most certainly. I think it's time.

9. sabine says:

Wow – I don't say this lightly, believe me…. I think this is the best article I've read here. By far.
    Your words are inspirational, they ring true to my higher self and they are mature (not often found here at elephant journal…sorry, but true).
    I will have to find a way to print this and read it – every day – to remind myself of these truths.
    Thank you for sharing.
    With Gratitude.

• Sarvasmarana Ma Nithya Sarvasmarana says:

Wow! Thank you Sabine! I really appreciate your sincerity, it's so beautiful. I am so glad you found this helpful. I really do believe that once we align ourselves to our true identity which is authenticity so much opens up for us. We are Divine beings!
      Blessings!

10. christina says:

you lost me at 6 & 7.

11. aprilg says:

this is a great list but it's good to remember it's her list. It's her list of ingredients for a better life. I have my own list that is a bit different. We should find the balance that works best for us.
    Find your own truths. I think that's the great message of this article. She found what works best for her.
    Let's go find what is best for each of us.

12. Jennifer P. says:

Thank you SO much for this article. The end was the love for me: I too have realized, through this article, how much I have grown and how far I have come. Namaste <3

13. Helena says:

Nice text! Just wished you have credited my photo that you found on Flickr. Helena

• elephantjournal says:

Hi Helena, sorry about that! It is our policy to do so. The credit at the bottom points to JD Hancock's Flickr page. Can you email the correct credit link to write@elephantjournal.com? I will definitely add it in.

Thanks,

Travis

14. jana says:

this is an exceptional article. ive read so many that i like here at elephant journal but this was the one that really hit home for me. i dont know that i could live a vegan lifestyle but the rest im willing to work hard to achieve. thanks so much.

15. rania barghout says:

Thank you for this. Most of your points make me want to work on myself to become a better person. Your words will help elevate me to another level .. A consciousness I’d like to experience. Am sure this is going to be difficult but after adjusting a few points to suit my lifestyle I’m sure it will be all worth it. I have never written or answered to an article before … Thank you.

16. JohnH says:

You forgot #15, which is to forgive yourself and others when they forget and do commit some of these (very human) things.

17. Megan says:

Enjoyed the read with many valuable points, however often remember that watching the news as an informed viewer, internally sorting out propaganda and inaccuracy, can make you a more globally aware conscientious person. If everyone is an extension of oneself, then one should have a strong awareness and understanding of the plights and sufferings of all, so as to improve them. Isolation is an excellent practice for the peace of the self, but separate from the practice of forced ignorance.