How Do we Know if we Love Someone? ~ John Kim

Via John Kimon May 13, 2014

petal heart

I used to believe that love was a light switch: Something flicks on.

We get an overwhelming sensation.

It hits us like a bag of bricks. Or a strong arrow.

When we know, we know. Right?

Not so much. After 38 years and an expired marriage, I don’t see love that way anymore. I’ve placed Cupid right next to Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

Love is a series of choices. The first choice is based on many many factors, including chemistry, principles, logic, humor, intelligence, body type, where we are in our lives, what we want/need…

The list goes on and on and the weight of each factor varies depending on the individual. Based on these factors, we either choose to begin the process to love or not. If we decide to enter this process, the action of loving can bring “light switch” moments. The way he looks at us. How hard she makes us laugh. The notes he hides in our purse. The way she makes us feel when we don’t feel anything.

But like an airplane flight, there is turbulence. The fights. The disagreements. The little things that bother us. His socks. Her shopping. We start wondering if we’ve made the right choice.

Once we are in doubt, we have to make another choice: to continue to fly with this person or jump out of the plane. This choice is based on a thousand other factors, again depending on the individual and where they are in their journey.

If we decide to jump, the scary free fall will either make us stronger (grow) or miserable (depressed). But sooner or later, we’ll find ourself back at the airport waiting to board another plane. Then we hit turbulence. Or maybe there is no turbulence. Maybe we’ve changed our mind about the destination. Either way, another choice: Fly or jump?

Love is making a choice every single day, to either love or not love. That’s it.

It’s that simple. Either to continue the process or not. We fall in and out of love. Even in relationships, especially in relationships. This doesn’t mean we don’t love the person. It means we are left with a choice. There is a difference between feeling love for someone (caring about a person) and loving someone (choosing to love that person). We may have love for someone forever, but that doesn’t mean we choose to love that person forever. The choice to love is not a feeling; it is an action.

That is why it is so difficult. It requires us to do something, and I’m not just talking about buying flowers. It might mean putting our wants aside. Also, like chemistry, the ability to love is not a constant: It is a variable. It fluctuates, depending on where we’re at in our life and what we’re struggling with.

Sometimes it is easy to love. Sometimes it is extremely difficult. But at the end of the day, it’s always a choice.

Although love varies, it also deepens. This means the longer we stay on that flight and embark on the journey together, the more fruit the process will bear. Our investment pays off. Our choices become easier. We not only become stronger as a couple, but also as individuals, assuming the love process is healthy—which means we are both doing work. The choice to love creates opportunity to hit notes in life that we could never hit alone, and this is what makes our choice worth it.

So, how do you know if it’s love? That is not the question to ask. The question is: Do you choose to love this person or not? Right now. Not tomorrow. Today. Make a choice. Yes or no. If the answer is yes, love as hard as you can. Love with everything you’ve got (your capacity right now at this point in your life). If the answer is no, promise me one thing.

Let the fall make you stronger.

~

Relephant:

What is Love? {Video}

To the Reticent Lover.

~

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

Apprentice Editor: Jen Weddle/Editor: Rachel Nussbaum

Photo: Amani Omejer

About John Kim

John Kim is a licensed marriage family therapist. In 2010, he started a blog. Partly to document his own journey but also to create a dialogue that may help others. Coaching people online was not his intent but by the end of that year, he had two clients.  By the end of the second year, he had coached over 100 people from all over the globe, treating individuals, couples and facilitating groups: All from his computer. Due to the overwhelming response, he quit his 9 to 5 and opened a “public” practice. He defines his practice as “public” because he does everything online, including individual sessions, couples, and group work using Google Hangouts.

Today, his website is not just a blog/practice, it’s a therapeutic community. It’s a place for you to rebuild yourself through others. Inside, you’ll find discussion forums on relationships, dating, love, career, life as well as live online  groups you can participate in from the convenience of your home.

29 Responses to “How Do we Know if we Love Someone? ~ John Kim”

1. Natalie says:

"If the answer is yes, love as hard as you can. Love with everything you’ve got (your capacity right now at this point in your life). If the answer is no, promise me one thing. Let the fall make you stronger."

Thank you so much for this.

2. Mattie says:

I think I've just become your biggest fan. Your words encompass wit, knowledge and logic in a manner that makes me feel like im sitting in a coffee shop with you , discussing the topic!!

3. Lisa Gravelle says:

I'm sure this article will switch many lights on …. thank you John

4. jadescastle says:

i've been wondering what to tell myself about an ending. i was the choice that She stopped making. Thank you, John.

5. sharon says:

Really great article, and since I am in a three year and still going relationship, this encouragement is especially appreciated: "We not only become stronger as a couple, but also as individuals, assuming the love process is healthy—which means we are both doing work. The choice to love creates opportunity to hit notes in life that we could never hit alone, and this is what makes our choice worth it" Thank you!

6. Shayna says:

Thank you.

7. Kanela says:

Falling in love is not so much of a choice, not for me at least. I cant order my heart who to love or not. Once I fall in love is different, I belive staying in love is a constant and conciuos choice.

8. Jayne says:

Thank you. This is just what I needed.

9. White Stone Natural Therapies says:

Brilliant. Just Brilliant.

10. loveyogalivewell says:

So, so well said. I needed to read this

11. I love this. Two months ago I found myself at the airport, boarding a Turkish physicist, and now we are wanting to move in together, we are in "love" and it's sooooo fast. And it's very different this time. After much experience at 38 and a dissolved marriage as well. This time it feels like a choice. My feet are on the ground even when my head is in the clouds, and I'm able to choose moment by moment to love him. In two months we've already been through a few heavy things together, but we keep steadying ourselves after the turbulence and I keep choosing to be all in. He joins me. It's a jet ride toward a very stable commited relationship and without having my head about me, I'd be fighting the doubts (this is too soon…there's soooo much I don't know…)but I have my head about me and can see and connect with exactly what you are saying. Very well written, thank you.

12. Leigh says:

Very grounding. Echoes ideas similar to M. Scott Peck in A Road Less Travelled. Thank you

13. jessica says:

this was what i needed to hear/read…its hard to make the decision constatntly every day. Should making the decision be easier?

• Mel says:

I am currently divorcing a partner after 24 years of being together. I'm lucky because we helped each other achieve many things in that time we would not have done alone (our kids, our businesses, etc.) However, I chose to take a different path because after 24 years, I realized that I wanted someone who was happier, less angry, less judgmental – I wanted someone who wanted to to choose to live in joy.

Without exception, even as the divorce is so negative (he is VERY angry) – I feel so good in my decision; everything is opening up to me and finding me more and more in a right place. Surprisingly, I've already met a new man, and though I insist on going slowly, it only underscores what I had been hearing in my heart for a long time… when you have to work SO hard to choose to love someone – it just might be the wrong someone.

Yes, there is work. Yes, it is a choice. But no, it should not feel HARD – it should feel worth it.

• Teresa says:

I loved your comment! Thank you!

• twoprettychords says:

I went through the same thing Mel. .. left after 24 years. He was angry. But felt I HAD to. I'm glad you are happy with your decision and have found the right love.

• Mel says:

I really appreciate you telling me that. I understand exactly what you are saying – I actually fought against the choice my heart made, tried so hard not to listen and to keep on "working on it" and staying – when I finally just let go – it all fell into place… I had to go, because I was already gone.

With it, the universe has brought so much to me – and I am still growing stronger with the man that showed up, even as i continue to try to keep it slow… that is the beauty of love, isn't it – it always shows up, inside of you and outside of you – when you finally listen.

• JULIE says:

Mel……..I too am in the middle of divorcing a VERY angry negative man……….We have a wonderful daughter…..whom is he is also destroying…..I know in my heart it was time………even ..I still love him ..but not in"love" with him. It's a scary world out there……..I have yet to meet…..or have started that processes……….BUT….I am willing to do the work…and make the right choice!!!!!!!! Take that NEW "JOURNEY"

14. twoprettychords says:

Beautiful article. Thank you.

15. Ron says:

I spoke to a person who lives outside the usa – they feel that we (in the usa) spend too much time focusing on "did I pick the right person", instead of making a commitment to the relationship itself. IE: When both decide to make a go of it, they focus on the building of the relationship and less on if they are having a "bad day" with their own feelings. Interesting concept I think – to build the relationship, almost as a third person – both focusing on the health and welfare of "it". What do you think?… RJ

16. Amy E says:

Beautifully written! In Western cultures, we make decisions based on the fickle notion of "Love", according to the Eastern and other cultures. I believe that is what sets us apart. I understand the practicality of arranged marriages, but, we Americans are risk takers. Pain and pleasure are opposite sides of the same coin. It's hard to appreciate the highs without the lows. I am a hopeless romantic. I believe in love. Yes!

17. Kate says:

What a great piece! This is right to the heart of love. Great analogy!

18. Rosdubh says:

Thank you for this! I recently had a relationship end with someone also in their late 30's, and as they told me "they just were not sure it was love" as they didn't get the constant butterfly feelings. Said person had told me constantly I was everything they wanted in a woman on mental/physical/emotional/interest levels, but past relationship baggage led to some pretty selfish behavior which when I called on it led to this conversation. Essentially, they weren't sure they were willing to continue to stop having to make selfish choices in order to nourish the relationship. At that point I told them thank you for letting me go, and despite the heartbreak of it all (given that I had put my everything into it) I would rather that than continue to delude myself otherwise with someone who had an unrealistic vision of "love".

Despite them agreeing with me when I said: isn't that something you haven't felt for awhile since you were teenager/20's? (i.e. infatuation beyond the new relationship phase) , it is what they are wanting and previous to me had been lighting from one woman to the next I think in some effort to capture that.

Infatuation is only one small part of the connection that becomes love. To me love is thinking of their happiness even when it is in areas that are not within your comfort zone, and coming together in a way that creates a mutual complement to each other.

19. piccolamonalisa says:

Choosing right now I can agree with that, and isn't then commitment a choice to love the person in the future?

20. slurfje says:

Thank you for this.

21. Katja says:

beautiful, true. just yesterday i came to the same conclusion, you just put my thoughts into wonderful words. thak you so much for this article!

22. Liz says:

Thanks….I really needed to see this…to have what is going on with me put into words…I needed to read this.. :)