Get Unstuck in Your Relationship With One Simple Statement.

Via on Aug 12, 2014

800px-Laughing_couple

Getting stuck is common in a long-term partnership.

In long term relationships it’s normal for things to start feeling stale, for sex/intimacy to wane.

However, there is absolutely no reason to stay stuck one more moment in your relationship or marriage.

Check out my video below for tips on how to change this right now.

You can also read this for four more high quality tips.

~

Relephant:

The Truth About Marriage, Monogamy & Long-Term Partnership.

~

10 Ways to Say “I Love You” Without Words.

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

Editor: Renée Picard

Image: Wikimedia Commons

About Jayson Gaddis

Jayson Gaddis, is a relationship specialist using the vehicle of his marriage and kids to wake up and live an empowered life. He’s on the planet to help people learn and master intimacy and relationship. He’s a husband and part-time stay-at-home Dad getting schooled by his two cosmic kids. Jayson is the host of Empowering Relationships TV and writes his own highly personal blog, and has also written for Integral Life, The Jungle of Life, Primer Magazine, Recovering Yogi, The Good Men Project. You can find him here: Jayson Gaddis or Fulfilling Marriage.

6 Responses to “Get Unstuck in Your Relationship With One Simple Statement.”

1. Mikal says:

Jayson:

Saying "I am really scared to tell the truth about our relationship right now" is not intimate at all (that's what you said in the video). Saying that will likely put your wife, girlfriend, partner on the defensive. Why? Because it assume you know the truth.

I think what you meant to say is… "Honey, I am really scared to tell you MY truth about our relationship right now."

Big difference. Use of the word "my" indicates ownership of the truth. Devoid of that and you're just asking for trouble.

• Ebtisam says:

I'm not entirely sure I completely agree with this video. I agree with you, Mikal. I think the simple addition of 'MY' truth, makes it that much more powerful.

Additionally, having experienced my partner come up to me and say this exact statement also put me on the defensive because telling your partner of 5 years that you are 'scared of telling them the truth' implies that the problem lies with them and the inability to trust/confide in them when that's what a relationship should have been built on in the first place. Personally it made me question, 'what have I done to make you 'scared' of truthfully talking or confiding in me?' I think the word 'scared' is very heavy. Perhaps, 'I want to share with you how I have been feeling about our relationship' instead. Finally I think a person should say this statement when they have thought through to a tentative direction or potential steps they'd like to take and discuss with their partner to move past the stagnation. Because just throwing a statement like that onto your unsuspecting partner could result in being further stuck when your partner asks you, 'Honey, how would you like to work on this? Guide me in understanding how I can help you not be scared to fully be yourself with me?' and they have no answer.

• JayGaddis says:

Ebtisam, You getting put on the defensive is your problem, not your partner's. There's nothing wrong with you reacting, ever. "I'm scared" is ownership.

• JayGaddis says:

MIkal, Good point as that is what I meant. And, "the truth" when talking about myself and my stuff can still mean "my" truth.

• Nancy says:

I wish I would have found you at least 4 years ago. Still destroyed by the end of my relationship with my husband. I was scared and missed him and told him so. He wasn’t willing to give us a chance and just moved through the motions of reconciliation. I would have and believed I did do anything and everything I could but he had found someone else, a family friend no less. My son… he hates the situation more than I do.

2. Hogan says:

What if you aren't scared?