Bible forbids Homosexuality?

Via Waylon Lewis
on Sep 22, 2008
get elephant's newsletter

The Bible defines marriage as between a man & a woman. And, these other 8 options.

This is one way to defeat bigotry: knowledge, harnessed to eloquence, without aggression.

Martin Sheen, President in the 2000-2007 George ‘W’ alternate universe, takes on a “Doctor” that closely resembles hard-right radio personal Dr. Laura.

“I don’t call homosexuality an abomination—the Bible does,” the Dr. Lauraish lady says, as does the real deal in real life.

Wanna hear President Bartlett’s Bible-based comeback? Warning: you might have to sell your daughter, forbid football, stone farmers and burn yo’momma.

VIDEO:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD52OlkKfNs[/youtube]

People tend to pick and choose from the Old and the New finding laws that fit their personal beliefs. That is a serious problem for those who say the Bible should be followed literally.

Bonus:

The “Bible does not define a marriage to be between a man and a woman.”

In Buddhadharma, it is said that all sentient beings are basically good. All have Buddha nature. The same could be said in Christianity. While the Bible defines marriage as between a man & a woman, it also offers these other 8 options:

bible marriage options!

gay bible

Relephant:

Yoga tradition forbids Homosexuality?

About Waylon Lewis

Comments

65 Responses to “Bible forbids Homosexuality?”

1. jessica says:

For the Christians that persecute and shame others, they are likely in bondage to the law. Christ came to fulfil the law and free us all. Persecuting homosexuals is the manisfestation of one who has not understood the Mystery of the Cross.I am a Christian in my intentions but in action i am one of those that should be stoned. By rocks. I however know that the old testament law is no longer in affect. The ten commandments and the two commandments of Christ are our moral law. It breaks my heart that so many “Christians” have made an abomination out of themselves by being exactly like the religious bigots that crucified Christ.If the whole world is dead set on proving Christianity as the devil yet is favorable to Christ then please spread the good news of Christ instead of the abominations of the church. Spread love and be a light to those in the darkness of legalism and intolerance. Enough with the insults, the jesting, the slandering. Christianity is not the enemy but the lack of love we all sometimes display is. This is the third “mindful” article from a mindful organization that has sought to discredit Christians and the comments ( calling some of us c*nts) were nothing short of a blood thirsty mob. We all throw stones .

2. tom says:

Jesus hung with protitutues and the least holiest of ppl not because he tight it was OK but to lead by example. He did hate them or ridicule them but prayed for them. Likewise he didn’t support their lifestyle but loved them just the same.

The bible must be read and studied in its entirety and used with the new and old testament alike. It is also important to know history and what was going on during the times those books were written. Remember we are all human including the authors.

You can love someone and still know right from wrong. I wouldn’t support someone putting a sqaure tire on their car but if that suits them I wouldn’t stop them. I’d certainly try and persuade them to use a round one.

3. Fife says:

That is a false statement. (Isaiah 40:22) There is One who dwells above the circle of the earth,
    And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers.
    He is stretching out the heavens like a fine gauze,
    And he spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.

4. betty says:

The Bible clearly states that the earth was suspended upon nothing, not flat. What in the world are you talking about?

5. Rebecca says:

Your argument is invalid, because many couples who cannot procreate for many reasons (including age and health) are married all the time. It is about swearing an oath of love and honor and partnership before God (if in a church) and man, and that has nothing to do with gay/straight.

6. Wayne says:

Screw that crap Jasmine. It is NOT a misinformed belief. It is stated very clearly in the bible that if a man lay with a man or a woman lay with a woman, this is surely an abomination!!! No question about it. Civil rights you say? What does this have to do with civil rights?…..Nothing, thats what!! Unconstitutional? Don't make me laugh! Where was a man marrying a man or a woman marrying a woman in the constitution? I must have missed that.

7. Christina says:

I once listened to Dr. Laura daily. I no longer work those hours, so I haven’t listened to her in a few years. Unless her position has changed dramatically, she had no problem with homosexuality. She is actually a huge proponent of gays, in general. She is somewhat conservative about gender roles, but this portrayal seems a little unfair to someone who is broadcasting acceptance.

8. djangoboy says:

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in." (NIV Bible, Isaiah 40:22)

The Earth is a sphere. A circle is not a sphere. The original Hebrew word clearly refers to a two-dimensional structure.

More Biblical cosmology:

"He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved." Psalm 104:5

"And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH." Isaiah 11:12 (Circles and spheres have corners? News to me)

"Tremble before him, all the earth! The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved." 1 Chronicles 16:30 Copernicus pretty well did away with this idea.

"And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water. So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so." Genesis 1:6-7 OK, so the sky is a solid structure holding water back?

9. John says:

The biblical comments are only applicable if everyone is following that belief system and as pointed out, we are taking the word to be literal, which obviously we can’t, don’t, shouldn’t and won’t. Seriously, let’s stop quoting the good book already.

What do I think about gay marriage? I’m not gay, I don’t really have a say in the matter. I will say this, two men, or two women marrying does not take away from what I may choose to have if I ever get married. I’ve never quite understood why people are so incredibly upset. If you don’t like it, ok, but wanting to forbid two people who fall in love to make the commitment to one another? That seems like it is crossing the line. If forced to choose a side, I support love; if it’s between a man and man or a woman and woman or man and woman, ok.

10. John Diavante says:

Many of these are also ceremonial laws, not moral laws, which were made moot by the events of the new testament. Context is important.

11. L says:

The truth behind this idiotic “meme”-, try READING the bible before you quote it and slam it.

HOMOSEXUALITY- Just not how God created us. Sorry guys, I’ve dated ONE guy for three days, the rest of the people I’ve dated have been women. It’s something I struggle with too but I would rather have what GOD has in store for me than what Man has for me.

CHILD ABUSE- “Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.” ROD OF CORRECTION does not mean beat your child with a stick… it means spank them. Children need discipline, and I, who had no discipline and grew up thinking I could do whatever I wanted, WISH that I had more spankings. CORRECTION IS NOT CHILD ABUSE.

EAT SHELLFISH AND PORK-The Hebrew code of cleanliness, which is what these verses describes, ACTUALLY kept the Hebrew people safe from disease due to incorrectly prepared food. In the new testament, God gives Paul a vision and gives him permission for God’s people to eat whatever they wanted.

SLAVERY- “For if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as menservants do” Servanthood does not equal slavery. Are butlers slaves? Kings courts practiced the same principles, and it was not based on racial foundations. Freedom is found in Christ, not slavery. In fact, in the VERY SAME BOOK OF THE BIBLE, God FREES ACTUAL HEBREW SLAVES FROM EGYPTIAN OPPRESSION.

SHAVES- “Ye shalt not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt though mar the corners of thy beards.” God wanted men to look like men. NO BIG DEAL.

RAPE- (AND THIS IS THE MOST INFURIATING ONE) “If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, and not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel’s father 50 shekels of silver and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all of his days” REFERRING TO PREMARITAL, CONSENSUAL SEX, NOT RAPE…..IN FACT!!!!! IF YOU LOOK 3, COUNT THEM 3, VERSES UP, YOU FIND THIS!!! DEUTERONOMY 22:25 ” But if a man find a betrothed damsel in the field, AND THE MAN FORCE HER, and lie with her, then the man only that lay with her SHALL DIE.” CAPITOL PUNISHMENT FOR RAPE! NOT CONDONING IT!

PREJUDICE- “If there come any unto you and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither biddeth him God speed.” Not prejudice, a warning to guard against false teachings! Don’t be a part of the world, be separated!

MISOGYNY- “But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.” THIS IS REFERRING TO CONDUCT IN PRAYER AND IN CHURCH… Yes, God created Man as the head of the household. I don’t always like it either. I’m stubborn and bullheaded, HOWEVER we are to be “Equally yoked”, AND as the bible plainly states in 1 Corinthians 7:3, which is an entire chapter on the Godly Marriage (maybe read it before bashing the Bible) “Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence; and likewise also the husband unto the wife.” THE ENTIRE CHAPTER IS ABOUT BALANCED MARRIAGE.

AND ALL THAT BEING SAID, I THINK MIXED FABRICS ARE THE LEAST OF OUR WORRIES!!!!

12. Jeff says:

Christian follow the teachings of Christ Jesus and His disciples… Those teachings can be found in the New Test. of the bible.. All the verses used above in article are found in Old Test…

1 Corinthians Chapter 6
    9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Timothy Chapter 1
    9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
    10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

13. Slim says:

Bible also says a rape victim will marry her attacker but I bet you won't be walking round advising that.

14. elephantjournal says:

Jacy Kennedy And there is a third way to interpret… by not pulling out verses and using them as weapons. I feel like I interpret it literally it completely disagree with 'literal' interpretations. You have to interpret literally within the context of what was hap…See More
    Like · Reply · Message · 4 · 29 mins
    View 2 more replies
    Elephant Journal
    Elephant Journal Jacy Kennedy this is for those who choose to interpret it literally, and back up their bigotry with that logic. If we're going to interpret the Bible literally, then we can't cherry pick.
    Like · Reply · 1 · Commented on by Waylon Lewis · 18 mins
    Jacy Kennedy
    Jacy Kennedy Thats exactly what I'm saying… If you are going to interpret the bible literally, then you can't take verses out of context. It ruins the message of love. These people have hurt me, my friends and my family deeply and continue to warp minds. It's upsetting.
    Unlike · Reply · Message · 1 · 3 mins
    Elephant Journal

Write a reply…
    Choose File
    Tara Pawlikowski
    Tara Pawlikowski Everyone is entitled to their belief system. We live in a country where we are allowed to do so. I may not agree with every post however I like to be open minded and understanding to others views
    Like · Reply · Message · 3 · 29 mins
    Elephant Journal
    Elephant Journal Amen! We are entitled to our views, and bigotry—legally. Spiritually, we are commanded to open up and be love.
    Like · Reply · Commented on by Waylon Lewis · 18 mins
    Joy Richardson
    Joy Richardson Are we still trying to reason with the unreasonable and educate people who wish to remain ignorant? Does it work ?
    Like · Reply · Message · 5 · 46 mins
    Elephant Journal
    Elephant Journal We don't have to be insulting, but we can point out some contradictions in pre-judging folks.
    Like · Reply · 3 · Commented on by Waylon Lewis · 40 mins
    Christian Coetzer
    Christian Coetzer For a site I regarded as completely open minded, forward thinking and non judgmental , this post makes me question that believe…..???
    Like · Reply · Message · 1 · 33 mins
    Elephant Journal
    Elephant Journal Sorry? Genuinely confused. I attended and loved Sunday School–it was full of love and compassion. I have great respect for my Christian sisters and brothers. I have equal respect for my gay sisters and brothers. This post is not about close-mindedness, backward-thinking or judgement–it's about exactly what you just posted. I think we're on the same page. We can afford to open our minds—and hearts.
    Like · Reply · 6 · Commented on by Waylon Lewis · 30 mins
    Shea Eugene
    Shea Eugene There is a big difference between prescriptive and descriptive… duh

15. Paco Lopez says:

I'll believe in homosexuality when man/man or woman/woman relationships produce offspring naturally. They never will, so why meddle around with it? God did not intend it that way or it would have been so.