Pretty is Not Worthy of Everything You Will Be.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 5.8
Shares 10
Hearts 0.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
4.8k

Nor should it be. Lets teach our daughters to be pretty intelligent and pretty amazing.

The mainstream culture floods the cultural space with streams of images  of models and celebs perfectly coiffed and polished by a team of professionals.

This narrow and obsessive focus on an unrealistic beauty standard has increasingly  reduced our girls and women to their position in the beauty hierarchy.

In an environment that views a woman’s most valuable asset as her ass and publicly disses female politicians based on their looks, Katie Makkai’s poetry slam is a welcomed relief.

Originally featured at Feminist Fatale.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 5.8
Shares 10
Hearts 0.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
4.8k

Read The Best Articles of December
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Melanie Klein

Melanie Klein, M.A., is a writer, speaker and professor of Sociology and Women’s Studies at Santa Monica College. She is a contributing author in 21st Century Yoga: Culture, Politics and Practice and is featured in Conversations with Modern Yogis. She is the co-editor of Yoga and Body Image: 25 Personal Stories About Beauty, Bravery + Loving Your Body, and co-founder of the Yoga and Body Image Coalition.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

anonymous Nov 9, 2013 12:26am

this is stupid.

if she was physically pretty she would not have wasted her time writing and reciting this poem.

and if she was physically pretty and did waste her time writing and reciting this poem, it would not be well received.

i really dislike that people feel the need to put one thing down in order to uplift something else.

anonymous Jul 15, 2011 6:49am

W-O-W!!!

anonymous Jun 5, 2011 1:39am

Wow! This video really made a good point. We go out of our ways to look a certain way and feel a certain way because we are not satisfied or content with ourselves. Other people tell us to go by the media and so we follow it because we are insecure and too afraid to feel joy in ourselves. Girls are raised to learn the "Beauty Myth" which is unrealistic to actually look the way models or magazines make some women look like.

anonymous May 31, 2011 12:12am

This poem is really good i suggest that every young lady and women see this video. Is very touching and it state thats beauty is not all ways about whats outside but is how we are as women and young ladys. Society shows bueaty in a whole diffrent way rather then personality, kindness, sweet and loving.

anonymous Jan 30, 2011 9:41pm

[…] been told that “pretty” is the magical elixir for everything that ails us. If we’re pretty we’re bound […]

anonymous Sep 21, 2010 3:22pm

that shook me to the bone

anonymous Sep 17, 2010 3:46am

When I recently discovered your web site and started following along, I had been thinking I'd post my extremely 1st comment. I don't know just what to express except that I actually liked reading through. Wonderful writings. I'll maintain on visiting this web site much more generally.

anonymous Sep 12, 2010 10:30am

Inspiring

anonymous Sep 12, 2010 10:06am

Yeah Melanie!

Pretty awesome.

-The Mad Yogi Poet

anonymous Sep 11, 2010 6:17pm

I'm so glad you all love it as much as I do. I get choked up every time, too. It is pure beauty and power.

anonymous Sep 11, 2010 2:28pm

Thank you so much for posting this, phew… I get teary-eyed every time I watch it.

Julia Lee Sep 10, 2010 6:31pm

This is FANTASTIC.

anonymous Sep 10, 2010 9:43am

Pretty amazing. I will be sharing with my beautiful daughter, who is so much more than pretty, because she has been raised to understand what inner beauty is.

anonymous Sep 10, 2010 7:37am

Thanks for posting this, Melanie; it is indeed wonderful and moving stuff. I have two daughters myself, ages 5 and 7, and this subject weighs on my mind, too.

My only concern is that that string of "you will be" statements at the end piles on an awful lot of pressure, too (though obviously of a different order than the "pretty" obsession.) My wife and I decided long ago that what we want our girls to be is happy–secure, loved, loving, kind and happy. If you aren't those things, "amazing" can be just another expectation; if you are, it follows naturally.

anonymous Sep 10, 2010 7:48am

Perhaps, she could have said "you can be…" but, as far as the poetry goes, that seemed to work best. I completely get your point! I hope people hear it as options not a mandate.

anonymous Sep 10, 2010 2:45am

her words resonate in me. thank you so much for sharing this!

anonymous Sep 10, 2010 12:29am

Love this video!

anonymous Sep 10, 2010 12:26am

her words are like songs from heaven. her passion, her beauty, her fierceness is a gift. This made me weep joys of relief that someone gets it…thank you so much. I want to scream it from the rooftop!! Blessings!

anonymous Sep 9, 2010 11:48pm

Thanks, Candice. Those are my sentiments exactly. It is powerful and the ability to evoke multiple emotions at once. That's why I watch it over and over and try to share it with as many people as possible.

anonymous Sep 9, 2010 11:46pm

love it! This video never fails to make me laugh and cry.