10 Crazy Habits You’ll Pick Up When You Start Practicing Yoga

Views 10
Shares 7.4
Hearts 1.0
Comments 6.7
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
1 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
253
622.7k

Are you a beginner yogi or thinking of getting into a regular yoga practice? Here are the 10 habits you’re likely to pick up (some have nothing to do with yoga!).

~

*Yoga Month discount at Pura Vida Retreat & Spa in Costa Rica – mention Elephant when booking.

~

1. At least once, you will force yourself to try to be vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian, gluten-free (insert any over-zealous diet here)/drink Kombucha/buy bottled water before class and pour it into your sustainable water bottle before the teacher/students/Whole Foods cashier next to you sees.  (If you’re craving meat, just eat it! On your deathbed, will you really be glad that you didn’t have that steak on your 30th Birthday?)
  2. Your iPod will now include a heavy serving of Kirtan music that you will listen to on your very long commute to your yoga studio. (It’s cool; if you want to listen to Kirtan occasionally, go for it!  When you start listening to it while driving and falling asleep—time to go back to your old playlists. Do not switch over to NPR!)
  3. You will pretend not to notice that your ass now fits in a size six instead of an eight, but you’re secretly thrilled.  (When you get down to a four though, watch it. People will talk.)
  4. You will go back to your natural hair color/remove your hair extensions/cut your hair short in an attempt to stop paying so much attention to your vanity. (Try not to cut it too short—the growing out process is a bitch and then you’ll just need more hair extensions. I did.)
  5. You’ll attempt to read the Yoga Sutras, the Bhagavad Gita, or the Upanishads while your stack of fashion magazines calls to you from the next room. (Really, why can’t I like Rachel Zoe and yoga? Now that I’m thin enough to actually wear her clothes, why should I pretend I don’t want to?) (See #3.)
  6. You will take a retreat. Hello, Kripalu!  (It’s ok—those other people probably are weirdos. So are you. Eat your breakfast and shut up. No really, shut the f*ck up—it’s a silent breakfast.)
  7. You’ll start taking photos of yourself in yoga poses. Often. And you’ll think that other people care.  It’s like the modern-day version of the vacation slideshow. No one gives a sh*t, but they’ll pretend like they do so that you do the same when they whip out their own photos.
  8. You will at some point wear mala beads, which will break all over the floor of your 6:15 A.M. class.  (Basically, it’ll end about as well as when I wore my Grandmother’s rosary beads to dinner at age six. Silver Lining: The company was kind enough to re-string them for free, and now I just wear them like a really cool wrap bracelet. It’s very hippie chic. Thank you September Vogue.) (See #5)
  9. You will become a cheap date. Remember, you just dropped two sizes and you continue to spend at least an hour a day sweating and twisting and breathing. You’ll be buzzed from one drink!
  10. You’ll get over yourself. If you teach yoga, you’ll hope that people show up because they like taking class from who you really are. If you practice yoga, you’ll keep showing up and you’ll realize that the other sh*t doesn’t matter.

~

*Yoga Month discount at Maya Tulum Resort, Tulum, Mexico – mention Elephant when booking.

~

Originally published by our elephriends over at Recovering Yogi on September 19, 2011.
**********************************************************************************
Photo courtesy of Anton Belovodchenko

Like elephant yoga on Facebook.

Bonus! Best yoga video you’ve seen for a long time.

Relephant Read:

Yoga People Do Strange Things.

Facebook is in talks with major corporate media about pulling their content into FB, leaving other sites to wither or pay up if we want to connect with you, our readers. Want to stay connected before the curtain drops? Sign up for our curated, quality newsletters below.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 7.4
Hearts 1.0
Comments 6.7
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
1 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
253
622.7k

Read The Best Articles of January
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Lee Anne Finfinger

Lee Anne (LA) Finfinger is a full-time Yoga Instructor, born and bred Pittsburgher. She and her husband live with their rescued cat, Harmony. When she’s not in a studio, LA can be found baking, traveling, hanging with family and friends, mentoring in the community (yeah that looks like B.S, but it’s not!), reading, writing and knitting. She can be found at: www.lafinfinger.com.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

anonymous Dec 28, 2015 12:49am

I agree the sexing up of yoga is cringeful and stinking of ego driven voyeuristic distortion of a beautiful spiritual physical art form ….those who use the excuse "oh why is it a problem showing women as sexual" have missed the point…. there is nothing wrong with women as sexual beings, we are and have always been so . Woman is a beautiful and powerful being. Its the contextual objectification of women's bodies that is disturbing. wow the abuse of women and our bodies is so entrenched in our unconscious mind set that the blatantly obvious has been dumbed, numbed and repeatedly regurgitated as freedom. If you understand the power of energy Prana and life force you will understand what Scot Newsom is saying…..there is a fine line , I Know and can be hard for some to detect … but one knows the difference between practice and abuse.

anonymous Sep 20, 2015 10:48am

Should be retitled “10 Things Privileged White American Girls Will Do When They Start Yoga”

anonymous Sep 20, 2015 7:43am

You may not care about eating the steak at your 30th birthday party, but the cow certainly does. Ahimsa and vegetarianism are a huge part of yoga. Western animal agriculture is torture: for the animals, for human animals, for public health, and for the environment. It is not something to joke about.

anonymous Sep 19, 2015 4:05pm

kirtan, the yoga sutras and mala beads do have something to do with yoga. also, although not necessarily being vegan, being a vegetarian is following ahimsa- 'to cause no harm, no violence, no injury'- one of the 5 yamas listed in the yoga sutras. following these 'trends' actually perhaps reflects a deeper understanding or a pursuit of a deeper understanding of yoga as a philosophy and not just yoga as a fashionable form of exercise or fitness and a place to wear some super expensive new yoga pants to.

anonymous Apr 29, 2015 10:24am

to the writer who commented that animals would find a way to eat us if we let them; so therefore let's eat them first:

wow….

wow…

wow…

no compassion in that Yogi heart of yours, is there.

Keep reading articles and looking at pictures, maybe do a class once in a while to upkeep your mental image of yourself as a Yogi and leave the world to the rest of us who give a crap.

peace out,

S.

xo

anonymous Mar 10, 2015 2:17pm

Elephant journal, I am veeeerrrrrryyyyyyyyy disappointed with you. You have become increasingly sold out over the past few months and this article is very characteristic of that. Stop trying to get more clicks and weed out this shit. What impact is this having?
P.S. the picture at the top of this article is absolute bull. That is not a post, it's bad for your neck, and its overly sexualized and sexist and gross and representative of the ways the West has seriously messed up yoga. You can do better.

anonymous Mar 10, 2015 2:39pm

Hey there – this is actually an old article! And it's supposed to be funny/fun. We also have a diverse realm of readers and writers, so not everyone will like everything.

If you have something to say you are welcome to write too!

anonymous Jan 22, 2015 8:48am

Thank goodness there are people who understand that kirtan and the yoga stutras have Everything to do with yoga. You do realize that when asana first came into existence it was to prepare yogis’ bodies for meditation, right? Yoga is not only about contorting yourself into poses (and taking pictures of yourself in them)–and if you think that, you have a misguided and shallow understanding of it.

anonymous Jan 11, 2015 3:39pm

Most of the things mentioned in this article happen to you as part of the transformational process which yoga, when taken seriously, actually instigates. They are not meant to be done as part of the in yoga thing to do. You can’t actually help falling in love with Kirtan and wanting to be vegan when your heart opens. And you genuinely care less about dying your hair, clothes, etc because you learn to love and accept yourself as you are.

anonymous Nov 6, 2014 2:32pm

I started yoga a week ago! I'm very happy of my choice. I honestly don't know what to think of the article, because I know a few about yoga, but it doesn't convince me at all. Thank you anyway, it made me smile.

anonymous Aug 6, 2014 3:22pm

Just love it. Its so true….just listen to my yoga-mates in the rest-room..i will try to not laugh the next time when hearing this 🙂

anonymous Jul 15, 2014 4:09am

If this article was called, 'The 10 things you’ll do once you start yoga (some of which YOU THINK have nothing to do with yoga), if you have no clue what yoga is actually about and are doing it because you think it's cool and you want to be ridiculously thin,' THEN it would be funny! 🙂

anonymous Jul 13, 2014 8:54pm

Yoga Sutras have nothing to do with yoga? Hm, I'd beg to differ. Asana, if anything, has less to do with yoga than the sutras do, and yet we objectify asana to no end in the west. My prayer is more of us read the sutras, not less.

anonymous Jul 13, 2014 8:14pm

man…my ass hasn't seen a size 6 or 8 or 10 since I started yoga 5 years ago…wonder what I'm doing wrong….

anonymous Jun 15, 2014 6:30pm

hmmm. Is it un-yogic of me to say that of the 10 things, the only thing I've done is cut my hair? To be honest, I didn't try to read the Gita, I devoured it chapter by chapter, researching and contemplating much of it along the way. Then I read Yoga Journal magazine.

anonymous Mar 24, 2014 2:21pm

Fabric is not as durable as carpeting, which is

thicker and can stand up to cats scratching

better. I have a cat tree available in every room of my home.

Shipping rates are based on weight, and shipping costs for a piece of cat furniture made with cardboard posts will be considerably less than a comparable model with wooden posts.

anonymous Mar 14, 2014 8:10am

One other thought that I didn't see: having been practicing for a year now, I have indeed lost a couple sizes and had to replace a fair amount of clothing … but I'm male and so I have no interest in fashion magazines and there's no chance I'll ever wear a size four or six of anything. Also, what little hair I have left is the same color it's always been …

anonymous Mar 12, 2014 10:51am

Maybe add another : read yoga poetry: 🙂 http://www.elephantjournal.com/2014/03/yoga-dream

anonymous Mar 4, 2014 1:25pm

Often, the source of water is a leak a leaky roof,

pipe or appliance but it could also be, condensation on pipes, flooding or poor water drainage, or

poor ventilation in humid rooms. Preventing mold growth in

other parts of the home requires containing the mold spores within the infected area.

First, the area must be partitioned from the rest of the home requires containing the mold spores within the infected area.

Preventing mold growth in other parts of the home requires containing the mold spores in the air.

anonymous Feb 22, 2014 8:53pm

Hilarious! Have to admit I’m guilty of a few of these.

anonymous Feb 22, 2014 7:19pm

What about: You won't care so much about being on a size 6 or 14… Is really this about beauty stereotypes?

anonymous Dec 21, 2013 4:20pm

LA!!!! how wonderful to read your writing!!!!!!

anonymous Dec 21, 2013 3:31pm

Removing gluten from the diet isn't a fad. It s a legitimate problem many people suffer from due to the fact that gluten quantities in wheat over the past 50 years has increased greatly.
"Gluten intolerance/sensitivity.." -Symptoms include bloating, abdominal discomfort, and diarrhea- due to the inflammation of the digestive tract. Headaches, lethargy, attention-deficit disorder, hyperactivity, muscle weakness/disturbances and joint pain.
So claiming it to be a fad seems ignorant, or uneducated..
As for Celiacs…It’s only been in the last 20 years that scientists have come to understand that celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder, so perhaps it isn't ignorance on your part, perhaps the sentence you wrote comes from a misunderstanding of the disease. 😛

anonymous Dec 21, 2013 3:14pm

I would do none of these if i did yoga.

anonymous Nov 12, 2013 1:48pm

This is a cute article, but being vegan is not some overzealous silly diet to try to fit in to tighter pants or look better in a bathing suit. It is a commitment to ahmisa, nonviolence. Watch http://www.meatvideo.com and see why on my death bed I will be very proud of all my years of not eating tortured animals.

anonymous Nov 12, 2013 12:08pm

So I guess every woman who practices yoga is a size 8 and absolutely must lose some weight so she can fit into all those clothes she sees in fashion magazines? I don't relate to any of this article, nor did I really find any of it funny. I have been practicing yoga for 14 years, and have been a vegetarian for 20 years. I am all for laughing about things, but this was just superficial and ridiculous, if almost insulting to people who actually care about their practice and their impact on the earth.

anonymous Nov 12, 2013 6:39am

Also, Being vegan is not a fad or over zealous. I understand each person has a right to make their own choice but why put down other people's choices or trivialize them? I have been vegan for 25 years and every single day I still feel it is the most important choice I consistently make. It makes me-and many others- happier, healthier, more peaceful, more vibrant and it makes a world of difference for the living beings I love and for the planet.

anonymous Nov 12, 2013 2:06am

Some of those have a lot to do with yoga, but doing asanas isn´t necessarily doing yoga. So, there´s a misunderstanding here somewhere along the line of thought.

anonymous Nov 12, 2013 12:34am

This is the first article, of many I have read, from this site I actually enjoyed. Cute and clever, really fun to read.

anonymous Oct 10, 2013 10:21pm

BRILLIANT!

anonymous Sep 11, 2013 12:13am

Love the read! Silently giggling at the thought that I'm not alone! Thank you for the article! Much love!

anonymous Jul 19, 2013 2:22pm

Yeah, definitely guilty of #5. I'm not sure #9 is physiologically accurate, wouldn't a healthier body be able to handle more alcohol. Anyway, post made be laugh, cheers.

anonymous Jul 18, 2013 5:15am

Bring vegan or vegetarian is not an over zealous choice, its a conscious decision to bring your awareness to how what you do affects the planet.

anonymous Jul 16, 2013 5:48pm

yoga was not intended to be in classes, or for financial gain, and is a lot more than hatha, or poses, and yes, the sutras do belong in a complete yoga practice, while the kirtan we know in the us is stretching it to qualify as bhakti, it does qualifdy in small degrees…western yoga is vanity oriented, 95%hatha(sexy body!) and weekend kirtans…like a bar scene…in truth meditation should far surpass hatha in daily practice

anonymous Jul 16, 2013 2:40pm

Obviously the author has some deep rooted shadow issues and feels threatened by the beauty of a deep yoga practice which includes silent reflection, mantra, ahimsa and compassion towards all beings.

anonymous Jun 11, 2013 7:41pm

Funny, but the whole "been there, done it, beyond that" yoga guru piece is getting a little old. Soon, we'll add another one to the list…#11…you'll write a few paragraphs trying to distant yourself from the fads and the wannabes!

anonymous Jun 5, 2013 4:25pm

i had a good laugh when i read this, its good to know other yoga teachers went through the same thing! i would even include something about being lower maintenance– stop buying makeup, hair products, wearing deoderant… haha maybe just becoming a hippie a lil bit too..!

anonymous Jun 4, 2013 10:06am

Lolz..I must confess I love posting my Yoga pics on facebook!

anonymous Jun 2, 2013 9:50am

OMG so totally true.

anonymous May 22, 2013 3:47pm

I would love to do yoga of this kind !
Thanks

anonymous May 13, 2013 7:41pm

Loved it! Totally true. Just find balance in all you do even when you need to read Vogue for a change. Much better than animals fighting on the other blog- Maya and 50 Shades of whatever.

anonymous May 9, 2013 9:42pm

Kirtan is the very essence of the Bhakti Yoga process, The word Yoga doesn't mean exercise- it means union with God. Unfortunately with the Western culture of self-worship the practice of Hatha Yoga has become just a superficial means to get in shape. True Yoga is a process of self discovery, Bhakti Yoga is the spiritual essence of Yoga.

anonymous May 6, 2013 6:32am

After reading the article & the first two pages of comments (especially those accusing others of being "oversensitive" & "lacking a sense of humor" or whatnot), I feel that although there is some humor in the article, the title would be a lot less misleading if it had simply said "10 Things You'll Do Once You Start Taking Yoga Classes that Have Nothing To Do with Yoga Asanas (Postures)". Especially with regard to point #5 and reading "the Yoga Sutras, the Bhagavad Gita, or the Upanishads"; which, as some responders have posted, are what yoga is based upon.

A lot of "yogis" don't begin their yoga careers with some deep spiritual goal in mind, but rather, are usually first attracted to it because of the exercise aspects of it–losing weight, becoming more flexible, etc. This appears to be especially true in Western society, IMHO. Thus, to a lot of people who don't know much about yoga at all, that's all yoga is to them: a series of exercises. Usually the philosophy & other aspects of it, such as vegan-ism or listening to Kirtan music, don't enter the picture until later, after a practitioner has gained a deeper understanding of what yoga actually is; which is something that goes much beyond the asanas and poses.

Just my two cents.

(Personally, could never do #1 cause I love bacon too much; and as a guy, never worried about #3, #4, or #8 either. However, I am a bit guilty of #7, probably cause the yoga studio where I practice is always having photo contests involving yoga…) 🙂

anonymous Apr 29, 2013 1:02pm

Funny, but most have quite a bit to do with Yoga. Perhaps a tweaking of the title.

anonymous Apr 29, 2013 12:43am

#11 you will come into right relationship with your ego, and begin to realize all the ways you use to think of your body size and image no longer exist and you therefore don't need to be acknowledged for how you look or what you eat, or why you wear mala beads. As you dive deeper into your true self these stereoypes can unlock even further…keep it movin'–don't stop with the image of yoga you've created around yourself-move beyond it. yoga IS everything you learn. om shanti

anonymous Apr 28, 2013 10:39pm

Veganism is "overzealous"? Watch Forks Over Knives, Earthlings, Vegucated or Gary Yourofsky's speech and then let's talk.

anonymous Apr 28, 2013 7:42pm

Love it!!!!

anonymous Apr 28, 2013 6:52pm

So….. making an effort to be more mindful, spiritual and compassionate have nothing to do with yoga? That's only true if you are doing yoga purely for the physical side of it. Which is fine, if that's all you want, that's cool. For a long time that was all I wanted too, so I understand. But let's be honest, the physical aspect is less important at the heart of yoga than the things you are making light of and poking fun at. Choose what you want from yoga, but don't try to make fun of those who want more from it and try to understand it on a deeper level and as a whole.

anonymous Apr 28, 2013 3:52pm

A lot of the people who posted here really ought to take another look at #10.

anonymous Apr 28, 2013 3:38pm

This made me so freakin happy- Screw the poo poo assholes who arent lighthearted, obviously they need more yoga- I am a yoga teacher and i have tried EVERY one on this list! Great writing, now i'm off to stalk your blog!

anonymous Apr 28, 2013 3:28pm

You attract what you want, good job!

anonymous Apr 28, 2013 3:06pm

Kirtan = yoga of the heart. Yoga Sutras = Raja Yoga… What a lame blog entry by one uninformed teacher.

anonymous Apr 3, 2013 1:17pm

People are so serious and easily insulted! I liked your article. You know why? Because it shows how so many of us think we need to be a certain way but on the inside, we find that challenging. That's just reality. That's admitting our shortcomings.

anonymous Apr 3, 2013 7:46am

She speaks the truth!

anonymous Feb 18, 2013 8:45pm

Best!! Such a light lovely read… and true!! 🙂

anonymous Jan 31, 2013 1:33pm

I wish yoga could cleanse some of your uptight asses!!! Geez it was humor … people that constantly take themselves too seriously are missing out on some of the biggest joys in life. Yoga should teach some of you love and compassion for humans not just the animals you refuse to eat… smh, the article actually sparked something in me to take my yoga practices more seriously and actually take the journey with it, the article was really about the journey being serious about your beliefs takes you on and how sometimes you can lose other areas of yourself while on that journey… I thought the article was great

anonymous Jan 27, 2013 5:40pm

Oh man! you so called me out. I am a happier person in general, however. Great article. Thank you

anonymous Jan 19, 2013 4:56am

Wow. I like your style: no punches pulled.

anonymous Dec 16, 2012 8:23pm

In fact, it'd serve Ms. LA well to start reading the Sutras and other scriptures and stop obsessing about her butt size (as this whole thing reads like a self projection)- this way she could learn a thing or two about yoga !

anonymous Dec 16, 2012 8:17pm

The author forgot to add- getting inked with yoga-inspired tats all over one's bod. Which really has nothing to do with yoga. Kirtan, vegetarianism, reading sutras, etc on the other hand all do. Poor article- not funny, a mere attempt at getting attention.

anonymous Dec 7, 2012 4:23am

I LOVE it!

anonymous Nov 12, 2013 7:09am

Guilty. My left upper arm now sports a dancing Ganesha and the second yoga sutra in Sanskrit.

anonymous Nov 7, 2012 8:53am

[…] The 10 things you’ll do once you start yoga (that have nothing to do with yoga). Scary funny. Guilty of all, including the not taking myself so seriously part. Fantastic piece by Lee Anne Finfinger, who seems like someone who’d be fun to have a glass or two of wine with. — originally published on Recovering Yogi, reblogged on another favorite, elephant journal. […]

anonymous Oct 20, 2012 4:52am

I laughed – nice! I like what I can see of your tats in the pic also.

I like the comments to this one even better though – lol!

anonymous Dec 8, 2012 9:54am

Oh man! I would so take Gilbert! Best love story ever! The movies are awmeose and I’ve read all the books. The best! Hmm…I may need to watch the movies this weekend! Frommer’s Disney World is on my bookshelf right now. Exciting huh?

anonymous Sep 26, 2012 10:06am

Eating vegan isn't an "over zealous diet" – it is a choice to eat food that is good for your health, good for the health of the environment, good for animals, and just plain good.

I've been practicing yoga for over 20 years, teaching for over 5, and wouldn't know Kirtan music if it marched past me on the street in a parade. Mala beads are for meditating, they're not jewelry. People go through many of these processes whether they do yoga or not. Hair color for example, is a journey for all women.

I will admit I do get tipsy VERY quickly. Two drinks now leads to a serious hangover for me. Which of course isn't something I "do" but something that happens to people who do yoga.

And yes, some of this is funny. Stereotypes are funny. Stereotypes are also unfair and unTRUE, but they are funny. Some of the nicest most decent fair minded people I know will laugh if someone makes a "JAP" joke or says Asian people can't drive, it's instinctive. Yesterday I saw a joking post on FB about "sluts" and everyone was having a good ol' time with laughing about sluttyslutsluts. Not nice. But if you're laughing at yourself, it's OK. Perhaps the writer is laughing at herself?

anonymous Apr 3, 2013 11:15am

I agree regarding veganism, and would add that gluten free is not over zealous either… For those with celiac disease it’s life or death.

anonymous Sep 14, 2012 1:41am

looks like a few more people need to heed number 10 and get over themselves (me included)

anonymous Aug 19, 2012 8:15am

I'm reaaaaaalllly surprised at the amount of people who have commented on here who have taken this article so seriously and personally! Sarcasm and satire are yoga sins now? If you really can't tell that this woman wrote this article taking a jab at some of the things a few of us have done and many still continue to do in relation to a beginning yoga practice, HUMANIZING these actions with a little self-deprecation, perhaps you could do with listening to number #10 a little more and chilling out.

As far as the jab at the diets go, I cannot tell you how many times someone with a diet different to mine has sat and "kindly" told me how wrong the way I eat is, taking me back to those days as a child in school when the other kids told me that my Jewish family and I were going straight to hell……. and that's ok, right? But taking liberties in a satirical article to make a joke about your diet isn't? Everyone in their own time, vegans – just like those kids smacking me in the face with a bible and threatening me with hell did nothing but push me further away from Christianity, so does the moral berating by vegans to those who don't practice the lifestyle. Think about it.

anonymous Aug 14, 2012 7:17am

don't know much but object is to get close to oneself and try to maintain purity, irony is have seen many who have taken yoga as fashion trend and got in to too much self centered life style,

anonymous Aug 13, 2012 5:19pm

This article is really disappointing to me. I just paid for the year a few hours ago and not only was the article encouraging others to give up something that we need to do to save our planet, I'm vegan 5 yrs and I absolutely do look back and wish I had done it sooner because it doesn't make me feel good knowing I created so much more suffering for baby animals and their mothers just because I had a taste for it. Ouch! That's a heavy load for someone to carry who loves animals. Some of the comments are just too nasty here. The whole thing just makes me want my money back. sigh.

anonymous Aug 13, 2012 12:53pm

Everyone LOVES my photos of me in yoga poses.

anonymous Jul 8, 2012 6:13am

Lee Anne, I absolutely loved this – thank you so much. In fact, I loved it so much that once I had stopped cringing and laughing at myself, I had to repost it on my blog http://www.yogawithnicci.co.za/index.php?option=c…. It makes me giggle even more to see how many people have managed to get their knickers in a twist about your wonderful humour. Kind of proves a point to me…. Anyway, thank you and please keep up the wonderful writing.

anonymous Jul 8, 2012 5:59am

[…] […]

anonymous Jul 7, 2012 5:55pm

Don't be so sensitive! We have to laugh at ourselves once in a while. I've definitely been guilty of getting caught up in a pretentious (and non-yogic) mindset in response to how I THINK a yogi should be. People going through this will come around. Lighten up 🙂

anonymous Oct 21, 2012 1:39pm

That's fine laugh at yourself but please don't laugh at the hurting animals.

anonymous Oct 21, 2012 8:12pm

I'm not (I am a vegetarian), and agree that nobody else should.

anonymous Jul 7, 2012 4:18pm

Since when was practicing a kind, compassion diet "over-zealous"? I'm pretty sure Thich Nhat Hanh doesn't consider being a vegan giving anything up. I know on my deathbed I will not regret having celebrated another year of life without depriving another sentient being of his.

anonymous Jul 4, 2012 7:41am

sqlroz http://windows7keyfr.com flojmp
nqas http://www.windows7keyfr.com erqoja

anonymous Jul 1, 2012 1:33pm

[…] >>Yes, most yoga instructors are very flexible. However, they are probably inflexible about what you eat, if you can drink, and how often you should practice… […]

anonymous Jun 26, 2012 3:22pm

This is so true. Been there done that 7 years ago. However, I don't agree with #10, you'll get over yourself. The yoga/new age movement encourages a self-absorbed obsession with finding yourself, your sacred mission to the rest of lowly humanity, and the bragging of the newest psychic experience (how does an inflated, ungrounded, ego truly contribute to society). In that yoga/new age scene I've met the most narcissistic, self-absorbed, demigod type people ever.

anonymous Jun 19, 2012 1:49pm

Believe it or not, some people actually believe in vegetarian diets!

anonymous Jun 19, 2012 12:06pm

First of all, poking fun at vegans or vegetarians shows that you do not have respect for the way others want to eat. Read the book "China Study" and maybe you will be enlightened! Also, listening to NPR news is intelligent and refreshing compared to the extreme right wing news you hear on the radio!

anonymous Oct 20, 2012 6:00am

I think the article was tongue in cheek (humor/ sarcasm) for most people (even vegans or vegetarians) however, I respect your opinion. I find vegans and vegetarians to be quite unable to discuss their lifestyle/ diet / viewpoints unless one agrees with them (similar to mnay people concerning religion, politics and money discussion).

anonymous Oct 21, 2012 1:37pm

I think we know the entire article was humorous, but two things; 1. It's not funny. Joking about abusing kids isn't funny either. I figured since this is a yoga community based on ahimsa people would understand and not crack jokes like that..on the other hand, I'm sure she really meant it as well. In the sense that we should all lighten up and eat a hamburger once in a while. I don't agree. I think we need to get tougher on animal laws and put an end to animal abuse right now. Not tomorrow, but now. No more jokes. These animals S-U-F-F-E-R. Which leads me to number 2. You are right, you can't talk to vegans about this stuff any more than you can crack jokes about kicking the puppy to dog lovers. I hope that now you understand, it was in poor taste.

anonymous Jun 6, 2012 9:59pm

To me, yoga is all about freedom, and exploration; and this article is all about that! It's funny, light-hearted, sarcastic, silly, and a little controversial. So what? We are blessed freaking people, here! Look at us all — we all have the freedom to express ourselves and our opinions! I have a feeling that the author of this article had a good time poking fun a few of the quirks/generalities of the yoga industry of the west. I'm guessing that her passion for yoga and insights revealed to her while practicing, are credited in lending humor to this subject!

We all experience yoga differently. Personally, one of the lessons I am continually learning through my practice is non-judgement. If we disagree or feel we are experiencing a different truth than another person, instead of casting judgment about right and wrong, why don't we give the person props for feeling free enough to express him or herself? When we build each other up and have compassion for other peoples' experience, that's where the magic of shared one-ness and love happens! We can't take life too seriously — it's good to have some fun, make some jokes, and laugh at ourselves. Who wants frown lines, anyway? *wink*

#10 on the list is my favorite:
You’ll get over yourself. If you teach yoga, you’ll hope that people show up because they like taking class from who you really are. If you practice yoga, you’ll keep showing up and you’ll realize that the other shit doesn’t matter.

anonymous May 30, 2012 11:25pm

Love it. Many of us are obviously haven't reached number 10 yet. Keep practicing and all will come…and go…

anonymous May 22, 2012 9:21pm

#11 – doing awkward upside down poses that have nothing to do with Yoga and posting them on Yoga related websites…..

anonymous Apr 16, 2012 12:29pm

#11 – You will begin to budget for replacing furniture broken while practicing headstands and handstands.
Lighten up y'all! None of us know everything. ~Love.

anonymous Apr 16, 2012 11:22am

Love it!
Awesome 🙂

anonymous Apr 16, 2012 9:24am

[…] The 10 things you’ll do once you start yoga that have nothing to do with yoga. ~ Lee Anne Finfinge…. […]

anonymous Apr 16, 2012 7:47am

I got a great chuckle out of this. I love sarcasm and a sense of humor! And I do love how yoga snuck in and made me a lil bit of a hippie! 😉 The only thing I would like to suggest is to not mention pants sizes. I rock at yoga and I am beginning to teach it. I work HARD to eat healthy. But I may never be even a size 8… and that's ok! 😉

anonymous Apr 16, 2012 7:21am

11. you will wear your tight yoga clothes everywhere.. they are the latest.., you know.
12/ You will wear your 'yoga hair' style everywhere.. a scrunched pony tail up on top..
13. You will have a bunch of positive friends.
14. You wil write about yoga and comment on others' works.

Nic ewlist.. I couldn't resist.
Oh, and I decided to color my grey due to yoga.. those darn mirrors and upside down poses revealed more grey than I choose to.

anonymous Apr 16, 2012 4:05am

hmmmm….I've been doing yoga for probably 9 years now and I've never done any of these things…..kinda stupid if you ask me…I get sick of all these articles in here that pander to all the yoga BS that is out there.

anonymous Oct 20, 2012 5:57am

I like the article but, you may have a point about pandering to all the yoga BS that is out there.

anonymous Feb 15, 2012 11:23pm

Erm, been practicing for 7 years and NONE of these apply to me…not especially the "buzzed after one drink" part…o.O Oh, and I was a vegetarian BEFORE I started practicing…lol

anonymous Jan 31, 2012 7:19pm

hahaha! I love this

anonymous Jan 26, 2012 3:15pm

[…] The 10 things you’ll do once you start yoga (that have nothing to do with yoga)–Lee Anne Finfinger […]

anonymous Jan 21, 2012 3:21pm

Any yogi who doesn't love this has, uh, shall we say: issues. It's fantastic. I've been practicing for seven years and have been a vegetarian for five, cut my hair off (pixie cute, I think!) three years ago, have lotsa kirtany music on my iPod, go to yoga festivals, and dropped two sizes.

The especially good part: I'm happy with my choice. And the better part: I can laugh about all of it. If I've made myself into a cliche, no biggie. I like life this way. Awesome article.

anonymous Jan 15, 2012 5:19am

So fun, honest and true 🙂

anonymous Jan 13, 2012 6:34am

As a guy, I'm definitely not relating to this.

I feel like the Yoga community needs to start focusing on the other 7 Limbs. We'd be much stronger if we could do so.

anonymous Jan 9, 2012 7:05pm

Love this again.

anonymous Jan 9, 2012 5:03pm

I love this list because when I first started practicing yoga, I’m fairly certain I did all or most of the things on the list. Then, I got to Number 10 and my practice really took off- not just in asana, but in how I am in my daily life too. I’m still semi-vegan (OK- I eat local meat once a week because my husband loves to cook, and he was starting to be sad that I wouldn’t eat what he made),I’ve studied the yoga sutras because I want to and not because I felt like I “had” to, and I try to practice ahimsa in my words as well as my actions (which is more than I can say for some of the posters on here…ahem). Yoga is about being true, living from your truth, and keeping it real- whatever that is for you. Maybe we could pass on the heavy helpings of judgment that are being handed out and try out #10 for size- you know, just to see what happens :).

anonymous Jan 9, 2012 12:57pm

I've done numbers 5 and 7!

anonymous Jan 4, 2012 9:23pm

[…] […]

anonymous Jan 1, 2012 9:32pm

Number 6 got a burst of laughter outta me….well done. But you forgot the "Will wear several layers of ultra thin, uber cool yoga gear, all different lengths, each piece showing somewhere thru or on top of the other, and combinedly hanging at different levels over your Hardtail foldover damned hot yoga pants. You've never worn so many layers and you wish like hell you didn't have to, but how can you just do yoga in ONE T SHIRT?? Loser!"

anonymous Jan 1, 2012 8:11pm

[…] not sure if I was amused or horrified that I could totally identify with this funny article on Elephant Journal. I sure did get a laugh though. And yes, I’ve done all […]

anonymous Jan 1, 2012 3:23pm

Pretty funny article – guilty as charged (except I dye my hair). But I want to know where these stock photos are coming from. Is this chick in a yoga pose…in her yoga boots & panties? 🙂

anonymous Jan 1, 2012 2:18pm

honest,open article where i felt that author shared her experience and perhaps others can relate,being doing yoga for 5 years and topics just didn’t resonate.it is what it is

anonymous Jan 1, 2012 2:02pm

How come restraining yourself from flesh has nothing to do with yoga? Ahimsa sounds familiar?

anonymous Jan 1, 2012 10:52am

Words!

anonymous Jan 1, 2012 10:28am

I thought this article was fun and made me interested in finding out more about yoga. After reading the posts of so many people claiming a commonality with yoga and also seething with negativity, I have decided i know enough about yoga as I need to know. Thanks for helping me check one more curiosity off of my list.

anonymous Jan 1, 2012 2:06pm

lol yeah, I didn't know downward looking drama was a yoga pose.
    🙂

anonymous Jan 1, 2012 5:35am

anonymous Jan 1, 2012 12:33am

i did not relate to this AT all!

anonymous Dec 30, 2011 8:37pm

She looks like a porn star in the top picture! Yoga?

anonymous Dec 30, 2011 12:03am

Jesus glad I dont do Yoga…..

anonymous Dec 29, 2011 12:02pm

Wow. You really can tell who is a fool when they open their mouth. The author has no clue what yoga is or what its purpose is.

anonymous Dec 29, 2011 10:06am

Hilarious!!! but doubt number 10 is the real thing about Yoga 🙂

anonymous Dec 29, 2011 10:08am

no doubt .. I meant to say oops

anonymous Dec 29, 2011 6:15am

Perhaps some of the self righteous angry vegans venting on here need to be reminded that ahimsa extends to how you communicate with other humans as well as your diet. A little humour and self deprecation never killed anyone. The article made me laugh because I too have wrestled with vegetarianism following study of the yamas. I continue to struggle with it despite my best intentions because my body still craves meat occasionally (the spirit is strong but the flesh is weak!! AAAAHHH)! If you are vegan and you feel healthy and strong and dont look like a wilting plant I salute you… you are very lucky. You are going straight to yoga heaven… Just dont hate on those less holy than you.

anonymous Jan 1, 2012 2:05pm

No kidding. If the self is like an illusion, shouldn't we not take it so seriously?
    Who wants to live in a world without laughter?

anonymous Aug 13, 2012 5:09pm

Please point one out here because I have read some very nice comments from vegans speaking from their truths and along comes some mean comments from many meat eaters here to criticize them. Sorry you feel the heat, but animals deserve better and anyone who wants to protect them is in a no win situation.

anonymous Dec 29, 2011 4:55am

total bag of crap.

anonymous Dec 29, 2011 4:41am

[…] My good friend and fellow yogini WH sent me this link today, which really burst my yogic bubble. And all along I’ve been thinking I was special and finding The One Truth! (This awesomely funny yoga humor is copied from Lee Anne Finfinger’s article on Elephant Journal). […]

anonymous Dec 28, 2011 9:00pm

bunch of angries on the yoga board.. I read and enjoyed the article.. envious of the size 6 thing.. (and the 8) Keep on keeping on friends.

anonymous Dec 28, 2011 6:33pm

OMG if some of these comments are indicative of the unfun over sensitive attitudes of some of the people who do yoga, I never want to take a yoga class.

anonymous Dec 27, 2011 9:41pm

I love that this represents the light heartedness in yoga, and all that you mentioned are true….
On the serious side, after all these things are bought or done. The real yoga happens in the heart and is totally free and comes with us wherever we go…
namaste,
Shane http://www.yourbeautifulchild.com

anonymous Dec 27, 2011 1:08pm

Lighten up….it's funny….we can be reverent and laugh at ourselves, and how others may see us as yogis and yoga teachers…..I like finding humor….it draws others to our light spirit!

anonymous Dec 27, 2011 11:32am

AMAZING! Yoga should not be taken so seriously and this definately sees the light hearted side of it! Kathy…relax and breathe, maybe giggle a little! Thanks namaste!

anonymous Dec 29, 2011 9:42am

Good point but I think what you really mean is yoga should be taken seriously and ourselves not xx

anonymous Dec 26, 2011 7:55pm

If yoga cannot stand up to the attention of satirists perhaps it and those who profess to practice it have become too self important. If I were truly blended in mind and spirit, ate only to nourish my body and dressed only in a way that was a reflection of my inner peace and beauty, I wouldn't give a fuck about what people said about my practice, diet or fashion sense.

anonymous Dec 26, 2011 7:39pm

There is nothing "over-zealous" about LIVING YOUR VALUES being the change you want to see in the world. I believe in kindness and compassion towards ALL living beings — not just humans. I like to walk the walk, and not just talk the talk.

Our food choices have SERIOUS consequences on other sentient beings. These beings are tortured, branded, mutilated, beaten, castrated, and ruthlessly slaughtered. Thus, I have a problem with Lee Anne when she says tings like "If you’re craving meat, just eat it!" Lee Ane, how do you think the sentient animals feel about that?

When we lift the veil and see the suffering our food habits cause, when we connect with the reality of the defenseless beings who suffer so terribly because of our food choices, our indifference dissolves and compassion—its opposite—arises, urging us to act on behalf of those who are suffering.

If we are sincere in our quest for human peace, freedom, and dignity, we have no choice but to offer this to our neighbors, the animals of this earth. Cultivating awareness, we can transcend the imposed view that animals are mere food objects.

anonymous Dec 26, 2011 8:01pm

We should staet a campaign to feed all the lions and tigers in the wild vegetables. This would then stop the inhumaness of nature as these big cats kill other animals. Nature so got it wrong when it invented carnivores but I am glad we are here to correct this oversight.

anonymous Dec 29, 2011 8:45am

You and me agree, I think, in respect for nature. But in exploring veganism, a person is not so much
      thumbing their nose at our animal nature, though it might appear that way.

The real effort to correct the oversights of nature is taking place in the factory farms and fisheries, Guest, where hormones are injected into living beings left and right to produce eggs and grow poundage. Concern for viability in a very low profit margin undertaking reduces the basic humanity toward the captive animals to zero, and below.

The current meat eater's diet is far removed from the wild you speak of. What is on today's carnivore plate is a product of prolonged captivity, increasing deprivation, and ruthlessly applied medicine. It is not natural to eat this.

anonymous Dec 29, 2011 6:13am

Be the change and STFU

anonymous Dec 26, 2011 9:55am

actually, feel free to listen to kirtan all you want, its perfectly ok to do, kirtan all the time everytime! and also feel free to be vegetarian…also perfectly ok…no need for steak. cynical yogis are morphing this tradition into a materialistic hobby…please raise your vibration!

anonymous Dec 26, 2011 4:26am

People need to read article titles more often (especially the parenthesis).

That said… don't men do yoga as well? In fact, I'm quite sure that they do…..

anonymous Nov 4, 2011 6:40pm

"3.You will pretend not to notice that your ass now fits in a size 6 instead of an 8, but you’re secretly thrilled. (When you get down to a 4 though, watch it. People will talk.)".
This is bothersome to me. Weight and shape should never enter into the yoga equation and as a matter of fact, drawing that parallel is the antithesis of what yoga should represent. A healthy mind and body does not equate to shrinking dress sizes. Something to think about.

anonymous Nov 2, 2011 9:44am

So funny, and so true. Thanks for the insight 🙂 I think all of them have applied to me at least once.

anonymous Oct 20, 2011 12:17pm

I love you for you, and you teach an awesome class! You crack me up, please continue!

anonymous Oct 20, 2011 8:35am

[…] saw this article on Elephant Journal and think it’s just […]

anonymous Oct 19, 2011 8:25am

Funny and true! Love it 🙂

anonymous Oct 18, 2011 4:57pm

Let's see–haven't done eight of the ten things on the list, and I've been practicing for over 30 years . . .

anonymous Oct 18, 2011 4:02pm

there r ppl who practice yoga and still dye their hair and such…..taking care of one self doesn’t mean its vanity. You r judging ppl who do not practice yoga to b vain. There is nothing wrong with eating meat either. For some indigenous ppl….its a diet requirement for survival (especially cold areas – such as the inuit)…..and for some eating meat is sacred. I suggest whoever wrote this absurd article to TAKE A RETREAT and A STEP BACK and observe your ego. And a suggestion…… go on a retreat down to the Amazon….engage in a healing ceremony of Ayahuasca and see for yourself how much bull your actually full of.

PS…..your higher self is beautiful :)…… but you have a lot of work to do.

anonymous Dec 29, 2011 4:37am

You pretentious twat!! You should take your own advice…

anonymous Jan 1, 2012 10:52am

Julia, don't waste your time on anyone who uses a comment thread like a Twitter post. What person who actually wants to be taken seriously actually abbreviates a three letter word? OR A TWO LETTER WORD??? It is "be" not "b". Grrr…."r", "ppl", "b"? Use words words Rose, your words…

anonymous Oct 18, 2011 3:21pm

I'm not inspired to take a class with this woman.

anonymous Oct 18, 2011 3:11pm

Sorry,… i don't understand nothing… are you speaking about Yoga or what…?

anonymous Oct 16, 2011 6:44pm

Whatever it takes to get more people doing yoga. if you already know, does the rest matter? Humor is an essence. 🙂

anonymous Oct 13, 2011 11:54pm

blech — nothing to do with yoga? really the sutras have nothing to do with yoga???

anonymous Oct 14, 2011 9:58am

It seems to me that if some of the "Recovering Yogis" had actually spent time with the yoga sutra and the Bhagavad-gita that they might not have ended up in the situations they did. If it's true that we really our the creators of our destiny and what have you, then the ultimate burden of responsibility for my life rests firmly upon my shoulders. While it might seem that we are not always in direct control of where we find ourselves, we always have the choice of how we respond, react and categorize our particular experiences. The fact remains that many of us are lured into POMOYO (postmodern yoga) for whatever reason (again this lies firmly with the individual to figure out) and then lament the fact that it left us "unfulfilled." And then, so to put the icing on the cake, those scorned turn their ire towards the contorted version of the authentic path by adopting another "new-age, self-help" approach.

anonymous Oct 11, 2011 12:15am

if you weren't into yoga you probably wouldn't need to mention that your cat is a rescue cat.

anonymous Oct 10, 2011 3:47pm

anonymous Oct 10, 2011 9:40am

Lee Ann, you are a yogi after my own heart.

Kate Bartolotta Oct 9, 2011 12:54pm

Loved this! Sooo true! Confession though…after many many years of practicing yoga, still not a huge Kirtan fan (but am sloooowly willing to change my attitude about that;) And p.s. I have Celiac & wasn't offended by the gluten free comment…lots of folks doing it because it's trendy, "clean," or they heard someone famous was doing it & assumed they would lose weight…whatev.

anonymous Oct 9, 2011 4:20am

[…] The 10 things you’ll do once you start yoga (that have nothing to do with yoga). ~ Lee Anne Finfin…. […]

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 2:07pm

FYI eating gluten-free is often recommended in association with many popular diets including Paleo for reasons other than celiac disease (i realize that you don't need to be GF to follow Paleo – that's not what I said). The author is clearly not saying that the Bhagavad Gita and the Upanishads have nothing to do with yoga, but that her decision to read these texts over the magazines that make her feel like herself was an anti-yogic decision. This article is funny and true (no matter what you believe) because it is one persons account and it is "all about the author" because this is a blog post which is by nature meant to be "all about the author." If you are taking this article personally, you may want to revisit point #10.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 1:53pm

Boo for cynicism, superficiality and sarcasm.

anonymous Oct 13, 2011 11:53pm

exactly!!!

anonymous Dec 29, 2011 10:13am

I'm guessing you're american. I dont reccomend visiting the UK if thats how you feel, though you might like how our grumpiness tends to stamp out superficiality dead in its tracks… Oh yes Humour also features highly.

anonymous Jul 16, 2013 3:04pm

Werd. While I appreciate humor and making fun of ourselves, it is this kind of attitude that perpetuates the image of yoga as a workout, when it is an extremely important, life-changing spiritual practice for so many of us. I don't mind yoga being trendy, and I want more people to be exposed to it. However, ahimsa is an integral practice, and I think I would be very proud on my deathbed knowing I did NOT eat a soul (steak) on my 30th birthday.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 12:24pm

Eating gluten-free in response to celiac disease has nothing to do with being over-zealous. I am not sure why it was included in this article, since it is an auto-immune disease and not a choice.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 8:54pm

I had the exact same reaction to the comment about the gluten-free comment. It is not a "lifestyle choice" I would wish on anyone else.

anonymous Oct 14, 2011 8:53am

I think she was also meaning folks who try gluten-free diets as a fad or fashion, not those who are gluten-free out of necessity..

anonymous Apr 28, 2013 3:07pm

As someone who doesn't have celiac disease I'll add this: When you take on Yoga you become more conscious about everything you put in or on your body. Most grains containing gluten are the product of Big Ag and GMO's. It's the same as avoiding pesticides and toxic chemicals. Though I do empathize with those of you who are gluten intolerant. I personally rarely eat bread, pasta, crackers and the sort anymore.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 12:16pm

Regardless of who we think we are or who we are trying to become we will always have teeth and fists.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 10:46am

some of it was funny and some of it was pretty ignorant and disrespectful to real yoga as it reads like a lame Cosmo article. Real yogis shouldn't care about clothing size and also can wear and use malas without concern for image. Real yoga is about spiritual union and self-realization. This type of humor and self-mockery only makes yoga seem like a hobby and not a serious practice for anybody that reads it. I appreciate some humor in these articles but this was in poor taste IMO and catering to the weak-hearted. We need some more inspirational articles too.

anonymous Dec 29, 2011 5:39am

She knows what real yoga is. she's just laughing at herself and what a Joke commercial yoga can be

anonymous Aug 13, 2012 4:57pm

I didn't find it funny at all.

anonymous May 13, 2013 7:42pm

U need to find balance between humor and seriousness

anonymous Aug 2, 2012 5:48pm

"real yoga"… (sigh)… "real yogis" (facepalm)!!!

anonymous Apr 28, 2013 10:40pm

I agree.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 10:38am

You guys are all assholes. It's funny. Stfu.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 10:34am

nice stereotypes!

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 8:58am

#11-You'll get a cheesy tattoo of an Om or perhaps a verse in sanskrit. Hey, at least it's a step up from barbwire or a Tasmanian devil.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 4:47am

My thoughts exactly

anonymous Oct 7, 2011 9:57pm

Definitely kinda funny and true but honestly what actually has the least to do with ‘yoga’ is yoga asanas. Very interesting how twisted we have made the yoga practice so that spiritual scriptures and non violent diets are considered not to have anything to do with yoga.

anonymous Oct 7, 2011 8:27pm

#11 You'll fall into the (ironically very very Western) romantic idea that everything in India/Tibet/prettymucheverywherebuthere is pure and spiritual and everything western is impure and inauthentic.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 10:28am

Love that. So true. In Boulder, there's always a few Tibetan "Rinpoches" (teachers) who haven't studied, don't practice, party (which is great, no probs there) and are supported by donations.

anonymous Oct 7, 2011 3:43pm

#11 You will become–or continue to be–overly sensitive about your "image" regardless of having embarked on the yogic path. Humour will only serve you if it boosts your ego, instead of deflating and humbling it. Yoga will become another article of fashion you place upon your self-objectified self.

anonymous Oct 7, 2011 2:58pm

I agree with the last few posts. The sarcasm and objectification could have been excluded. And I don't appreciate the jab at vegans and vegetarians.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 10:27am

I think, personally, as a vegetarian (trying to move toward veganism despite mean vegans hating on me; last night I found a "cheese" that was okay, yay!)…she was making fun of those who try on veganism or vegetarianism as a sort of fad, not those who practice it out of personal passion and compassion. ~ Waylon

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 1:09pm

Try giving up all dairy for 21 days and not replacing it with vegan "cheese" until the 21 days is up. It will be infinitely easier.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 10:40am

There was no jab. Stop being so defensive. This is life.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 1:09pm

Really? I live my life perfectly fine without taking jabs at other people's lifestyles. Strange world you live in.

anonymous Jul 11, 2012 4:30am

you could live it even finer if you weren't bothered by anything you perceive as 'jabs'. So maybe someone took a jab.so what? If it really doesn't matter (it doesn't), don't take it so personally, or seriously. simple.

anonymous Aug 13, 2012 4:53pm

I agree. Why would anyone encourage something that would hurt animals or is so destructive to the planet is beyond me. Personally I'm a little tired of the attitude towards animals and the people who try to protect them. If she had said buy a puppy from a pet shop all these people would be up in arms.

anonymous Oct 7, 2011 12:30pm

really not helpful. sarcasm and the "who cares" attitude aren't congruent with the mindfulness of Yoga.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 10:26am

Blammmm! Correct. Taking oneself seriously is, indeed, a requirement to fit in at many spiritual retreat centers (I've lived at several for many years).

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 11:50am

OMG. Really? Humor isn't acceptable in the yoga community? That explains a lot, actually.

anonymous Dec 29, 2011 9:33am

lol 😉

anonymous Jul 15, 2014 4:01am

Humour is more than acceptable – at our yoga retreats (which are not just about meditating), we spend a lot of time laughing our heads off! But all this is simply about the embarrassingly bad superficiality of a 'yoga' practitioner… Doing things unconsciously, wanting to be 'thin', following the herd, etc!

anonymous Oct 7, 2011 12:22pm

that made me feel kinda dirty.

anonymous Oct 7, 2011 10:42am

I think I'll start asking all of my female students to dress like the one in the upper picture, cause that is so appropriate for the practice you know. Maybe a little too much covered up top, but hey, we will get there. Before long, yoga "journalism" can objectify women just like they deserve.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 10:25am

Scott brother, needless to say, but seems like saying it is needed, she's making fun of yoga as fashion, yoga as lifestyle…I think you two are on the same "side." Humor!

anonymous Oct 12, 2011 4:51pm

The article was funny. I laughed. I lked. The pic is just another in a long line of abuses of the female form on EJ though. I wish EJ too the Yamas and Niyamas more to heart, especially within the Yoga section. Brahmacharya in practice would bring great beauty to these pages.

Kate Bartolotta Oct 14, 2011 1:04pm

Why is showing a woman as a sexual being "abuse?" Not trying to be argumentative…just find that idea surprising…it isn't a pic that is exploitative in any way that I can see. Maybe sometimes the objectification is in the eye of the beholder…or it is what you make of it?

anonymous Oct 14, 2011 2:03pm

Context is important and so is the purpose of the pictures. Here, the context is yoga. Yoginis I know are not trying to "be sexual" when they are doing yoga. They also don't dress like the woman in the picture when they do yoga. The picture really does not relate to the content of the article either. That makes the purpose of the picture pretty much only to drive traffic to the article. In this case, women's sexuality is being used for a purpose that does not serve women or promote healthy sexuality. This is done all the time in the mass media and the effect on women is abusive. Even professional, successful women are made to feel that they are not worthwile unless they meet some media created ideal of attractiveness. I believe this violates the yogic practices of ahimsa and brahmacharya. It does not belong here of all places. I hope this further clarifies my point of view.

Kate Bartolotta Oct 14, 2011 2:47pm

Except for the high heels and bracelets, I might wear something similar to a hot yoga class. When I look at #3 & #7…the photo does seem to fit the article. And really, the article is meant to be a funny…as in..let's laugh at ourselves and the silly things we do.

I understand what you are saying, I just disagree that the photo doesn't serve women or promote healthy sexuality. I think it illustrates a woman posing herself as she is becoming more comfortable in her skin…a wonderful thing even if the woman in question is less conventionally sexy than the woman pictured above. To each his/her own…

anonymous Oct 14, 2011 8:47pm

The high heels and panties are there, you can't just ignore them. Or maybe you can. I won't.

anonymous Apr 17, 2012 5:13am

Thanks Scott. I was also offended by the picture of cannot nor will not ignore the constant imposition of patriarchal images on a practice i hold dear.

anonymous Mar 26, 2013 3:19pm

There are entire degree programs about why this picture is exploitative and damaging. It's a pretty blatant version of the corpse trope found in magazines. If it were an asana it would make sense, but it isn't. It's a woman, contorted like a broken rag doll, in high heels and underwear.

anonymous Apr 2, 2013 1:53pm

Thank you, Scott. I also find the photo offensive and unnecessary. I get tired of the "oh, but we were being FUNNY/ironic/whatever!" excuse, too. No, you (EJ) found a photo that was ….. eye-catching. You played on the same crap that any other magazine does.

anonymous Apr 29, 2013 12:50am

Thank you Scott. I considered subscribing to EJ because I thought here was an informative yoga website but after commenting on a picture of a semi-naked woman in a fridge (and that has what to do with yoga?) and being told that I had no sense of humour because I objected, I decided to keep my cash. The female form is beautiful but it would be nice to see pictures of both men and women that were more respectful of a spiritual practice and less 'titillating'. We are so used to seeing sexualised images of women in the media I think many people don't event recognise it as such, it would be nice to think that the yoga community wasn't falling into the same behaviour. Perhaps more reading of the Yoga Sutras is required! 🙂

anonymous Dec 7, 2012 6:23am

THANK YOU!!!!!! This picture disgusts me. Not only would Iyengar cringe at this unsafe posture, but it's totally one of those lifeless "rag-doll" or "corpse" (and I don't mean savasana) poses that fashion magazines use to objectify women. Actually, this whole article pisses me off. She obviously has no CLUE.

anonymous Oct 7, 2011 6:42am

brought a smile to my face. Love the humor behind it, plus its true 😉
-Kristen http://bodyofyoga.wordpress.com/

anonymous Oct 7, 2011 5:00am

So true!

anonymous Oct 7, 2011 4:08am

Love it!

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
Join us! Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

anonymous Oct 7, 2011 3:34am

Just posted to "Popular Lately" on the Elephant Yoga homepage.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
Join us! Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

anonymous Oct 7, 2011 12:12am

"On your deathbed, will you really be glad that you didn’t have that steak on your 30thBirthday?" – It's not all about YOU you know… I scored a mere 3 out of 10 anyway.

anonymous Sep 17, 2012 3:21pm

You may not care if you had the steak on your 30th birthday but I bet the cow will care

anonymous Dec 7, 2012 2:37am

meat is murder. Yogi's shouldn't cause suffering

anonymous Oct 6, 2011 3:03pm

LOL! Love this, funny Lee Anne. No need to over analyze the humor here everyone!

anonymous Oct 6, 2011 1:04pm

Got to go with Kim on this one…kirtan, the yoga sutras, Bhagavad-gita all seem to be pretty intimately connected to yoga. I would even go so far as to include non-violent diet considerations, given that ahimsa is the first of the yamas. If you don't think that the yoga sutras and Bhagavad-gita have anything to do with yoga, where praytell do you think yoga came from?

anonymous Oct 6, 2011 11:27am

soooooooo true

anonymous Oct 6, 2011 10:41am

Kirtan and reading the Yoga Sutras have nothing to do with yoga? Kirtan is part of a bhakti yoga practice and reading texts like the Yoga Sutras and the Bhagavad Gita is part of a jnana yoga practice.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 10:50am

that's not what she was saying. Why do you and so many people on here try so hard to find negative things to say about people's work?

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 11:48am

Lighten up.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 11:46pm

Thanks for enlightening us, Kim. Where would we be without you? Oh, I know… enjoying a light article on EJ.

anonymous Dec 25, 2011 10:37am

Actually they are the foundations of a true yoga practice. And where ( asanas) yoga came from.

anonymous Mar 12, 2014 12:01pm

No they are not! The texts mentioned are the foundation for Hinduism not yoga. Yoga was around long before Hinduism. In fact, the practice of yoga was not approved or accepted by Hindus until much later. In yoga school, I was taught to believe exactly what you are saying but sadly it is not true. This is the very reason that so many people believe that yoga is a religion. This misinformation is dogma not yoga. The only thing you must do to be a yogi is breathe and any notion of connecting with your true self is Hinduism or enlightenment is Buddhism. Yoga is very, very simple. Breathe. That's it. No dogma, no diet, no kirtan, no books required.

anonymous Jul 14, 2014 4:20am

FYI: There are 'asanas' inscribed on the temple walls in Egypt long before its inception in India….

anonymous Jan 2, 2012 8:34pm

yours is not a harsh or negative statement, it is simply accurate. it is truly bizarre how the article presents the most sacred and essential texts as having "have nothing to do with yoga". i'm all for levity, but levity that misinforms is careless.

anonymous Jan 2, 2012 10:51pm

The author doesn't say anything about them not being a part of yoga… confused

anonymous Jan 2, 2012 10:52pm

Oh duh, the title…… I just took it as a funny title.

anonymous May 9, 2013 7:24pm

Kirtan is part of naad yoga. There are 8 limbs of yoga and reading the yoga sutras and practicing naad yoga is a part of yoga in the true and traditional sense. Yoga means to unite, and to yoke, and there are a number of ways to unite yourself with God. Yoga is not just a posture/asana – there are 8 other limbs.

"Real' yogis concerned about there health is positive..maybe not relating it in terms of being a size 6 or 12, more its about being the most healthy, happy you.

anonymous May 16, 2013 7:15am

The title states " The 10 things you’ll do once you start yoga (that have NOTHING to do with yoga)."

anonymous Oct 6, 2011 9:58am

I LOVE this!!… :}

anonymous Jan 31, 2016 4:10pm

yoga is a lifestyle not just asanas not a sport!
    Its not for everyone and not everyone should TEACH it!! sad article. I usually always read smart readings on EJ.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 10:24am

Mike brother, I think she's making fun of those who try on veganism as lifestyle, instead of from real inspiration. I think she's…kinda on your side. Humor! ~ W.

anonymous Oct 8, 2011 1:12pm

I agree with you, but it was unnecessary to call veganism "over zealous." Veganism is cruelty free, healthy, and good for the environment. Why call that over zealous? Shouldn't we all strive to be the best we can for the planet?

anonymous Dec 29, 2011 12:26am

Cruelty free? I just want to fill you in on a couple of facts. Humans are no different than lions, hippos, primates, canines, or any other living creature. We are all animals. We just happen to be humans and have the brain power to question our role on this planet. In the end though, like all other animals, we are meant to feed on eachother as a means of survival. This is what we humans have decided to call "the food chain." Everyother animal on this planet is driven by instinct. So the fact that cattle, pigs, and chickens are edible and quite frankly delicious, we eat them. If the human population didn't eat them, I am sure evolution would figure out a way for them to eat us since cattle, pigs, and chickens would vastly out populate the human race in less than a decade. So in all honesty, Vegans and vegitarians who are choosing this lifestyle to be cruelty free, pull your prude heads out from the depths of your rectal cavities and become a part of the world God intended for us. Thank you.

anonymous Dec 29, 2011 5:22am

There is no such thing as a yoga "Bible." The Bible is the bible yoga is yoga

anonymous Dec 29, 2011 8:42am

who named you yogi? Yourself? Thought so

Hillel Gazit Jun 1, 2018 6:07pm

"You will go back to your natural hair color/remove your hair extensions/cut your hair short in an attempt to stop paying so much attention to your vanity." LOL I do Yoga in $4 shorts and $4 T-shirt. The women around me usually have: 1. $50 fancy bra. 2. A $50 Yoga top with big holes in the side and/or back so everybody can see the fancy bra. 3. A $50 long sleeve shirt to be removed 5-10 minutes after class starts. 4. A $50 Yoga pants. Take a look around next time you do Yoga and see for yourself. (I assume they had bought it all on sale. Otherwise double the price.)

Mark LaPorta Jan 31, 2018 8:01pm

Emilia Jozefa and Garrett Hillmer isn't that questionable choice of titles and headlines part of the Elephant Journal et cie marketing strategy? Usually sex or sensation. EVERYTHING has to do with yoga if you know where and how to look? Let's ask Michele.

Mark LaPorta Jan 31, 2018 5:19pm

Actually if you have eyes to see, it has everything to do with yoga.

Mark LaPorta Jan 31, 2018 5:17pm

Mostly funny crap.

Jen Thayer May 7, 2016 11:41am

Love. Lighten up yall. <3 or don't. I enjoyed it, LA, for life is about lightening up and sense of humor on point. :-) thank you!

Emilia Jozefa Apr 27, 2016 2:06pm

I agree, number one has everything to do with yoga. Also, I think these are pretty subjective things and not all that relatable. This article was a disappointment and the title is poorly chosen.

Garrett Hillmer Apr 27, 2016 1:07pm

Yes I will be glad I didn't eat a steak on my 30th birthday because I won't live with the regret and guilt of being a selfish asshole. Compassionate living actually DOES have something to do with the practice of yoga so the title of this article is uninformed.