Batman: Sad & Tender Warrior.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 1.0
Hearts 1.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
1 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
4.9k

~

Always be yourself, unless you can be Batman.

(Photo: Wikimedia)

Always be Batman.

Bonus: DC on Twitter: “This Superman poster from the 1950s is just as relevant today as it was nearly 70 years ago. There is still hope.”

I’ve always had a soft spot for The Dark Knight. I have an ongoing debate with one of my brothers about who is the better superhero–Superman or Batman.

To me, it’s Batman, hands down. (You could have another debate about Marvel vs. DC comics in general, but that’s a whole separate blog; possibly a whole different website.)

So why Batman?

• 1. Batman is human. He isn’t from another planet, wasn’t bitten by a radioactive spider, doesn’t have mutant DNA. He’s just a guy doing what he believes he should do.

• 2. He is committed to being of benefit to others. It does help that his parents left him lots of money. But he has no hidden agenda, no desire for accolades–just one man being the change he wants to see in the world.
  • 3. He is permanently brokenhearted. Between the loss of his parents at a young age, to the various brief romantic entanglements (or longer, more complicated attachments if we’re speaking movies rather than comics) Batman is fundamentally alone. If anyone knows the genuine heart of sadness, it’s Batman.
  •  4. People hate him; he’s okay with that. When he’s Bruce Wayne, people see him as a rich playboy. They might envy him a bit, but he’s more or less disliked. When he’s Batman, people are constantly finding fault with the way he chooses to help society. Does he let it bruise his ego? Nope. Batman refuses to give up despite constant opposition.
  • 5. His true superpowers are his mind, his broken heart, and his indomitable will. Batman isn’t a hero because he’s strong; he’s a hero because all of his personal suffering and all of the suffering he sees in Gotham City inspires him to dive in and change things.

I’m going to guess the Caped Crusader never read Trungpa. Still, you have to admit he’s a great example of the warrior archetype Trungpa describes:

“The ideal of warriorship is that the warrior should be sad and tender, and because of that, the warrior can be very brave as well.”

and also:

“The essence of warriorship, or the essence of human bravery, is refusing to give up on anyone or anything.”

or in other words:

“To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.”

~ e.e. cummings

It’ s good to be yourself. Fight for it. And don’t forget about being Batman.

Always be Batman.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 1.0
Hearts 1.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
1 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
4.9k

Read The Best Articles of January
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Kate Bartolotta

Kate Bartolotta is a wellness cheerleader, yogini storyteller, and self-care maven.
She also writes for Huffington Post, Yoga International, Mantra Yoga+ Health, a beauty full mind, The Good Men Project, The Green Divas, The Body Project, Project Eve, Thought Catalog and Soulseeds.
Kate’s books are now available on Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble.com.

She is passionate about helping people fall in love with their lives.

You can connect with Kate on Facebook and Instagram.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

anonymous Nov 7, 2012 8:52am

[…] Batman: Sad & Tender Warrior. […]

anonymous Oct 26, 2012 4:43am

every little boy, batman or superman.

every little girl, wonderwoman or shira.

I have the power of greyskull!

anonymous May 28, 2012 9:26am

[…] These experiences with men put some cracks in my armor. I couldn’t hate these men, just as I couldn’t hate any race or nationality. They call yoga a practice because it is. It took a lot of practice loving so I could stop hating men. I needed a more balanced and honest view of maleness. It didn’t come easily. […]

anonymous May 22, 2012 10:01am

[…] Talk to me, tell me what you are thinking, even if you are thinking what it would be like to be Batman. […]

anonymous Apr 14, 2012 5:50pm

Whats up. Very cool blog!! Man .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds also…I am satisfied to find a lot of useful information right here in the post. Thank you for sharing…

anonymous Mar 18, 2012 4:10am

[…] […]

anonymous Mar 13, 2012 5:09pm

[…] […]

anonymous Jan 23, 2012 8:06am

[…] or her own strength. It’s because of our sad, tender broken-open hearts that we can be brave. It’s not about armor. It’s not about keeping your shield at the ready to protect yourself. It’s the opposite; […]

anonymous Dec 31, 2011 2:58pm

[…] […]

anonymous Dec 21, 2011 3:03pm

[…] Batman: Sad & Tender Warrior. […]

anonymous Dec 20, 2011 8:00pm

Yeah, I always hated those ludicrously powerful superheroes like Superman and Thor, far preferring those with human weaknesses. That may fit with my views on spirituality, influenced by my Quaker upbringing: you can keep your infallible gods and perfectly enlightened gurus; give me wounded healers and teachers struggling along the path with the rest of us.

anonymous Dec 20, 2011 7:01pm

You forgot to mention, he's kinda hot….

anonymous Dec 20, 2011 11:30am

Gotta love Batman! 🙂 Well, that and the fact that this movie was filmed in Pittsburgh. The "Ravenstahl" jersey is our mayor. *giggle* He HAD to get into the movie.

Kate Bartolotta Dec 20, 2011 3:56pm

Huh! I had no idea!! Thanks:)

Kate Bartolotta Dec 19, 2011 6:55pm

Via Facebook from Charles Christian Fields

"First off, Kate is right. End of argument, superman, while a great story, is just a rehashed version of the savior story which has been retold since thousands of years before Christ. Batman is just that, a man, who used his biggest fear to work to empower him, which is a lesson in itself. Secondly, the Chris Nolan series shows Bruce throwing off the wealth, and living as a pauper, in order to better understand his advisory. Another lesson in itself. Lastly he didn't get praise, he was considered an outlaw, sorry superman, love you but Bruce wins!"

Thanks Bro…love you! xoxo

Kate Bartolotta Dec 19, 2011 1:49pm

And just to add for the record, in order, best Batmen

1. Christian Bale (my fave by far)
2. Michael Keaton
3. Adam West (Classic Campy Batman)
4. George Clooney (Love Clooney, but he was a bit too happy to be Batman)
5. Val Kilmer (Yeah…Blonde Batman…not so much)

anonymous Dec 20, 2011 8:01pm

Christian Bale, really?
    I still haven't forgiven him for talking more like George W. Bush than Bob Dylan in I'm Not There.

Kate Bartolotta Dec 20, 2011 8:04pm

Haha! True, but he makes a great Batman!

Lauren Hanna Dec 19, 2011 12:57pm

Great piece. I'm making my boyfriend read it. But I mostly wanted to comment on your bio: I, also, am a chronic over user of exclamation points!! In fact, I am concerned by those people that don't use exclamation points enough ….

🙂

Kate Bartolotta Dec 19, 2011 1:01pm

You are so right!!!! (I am steadfastly trying to curb my parentheses and ellipsis abuse though…)

anonymous Dec 19, 2011 12:20pm

Yes! I'm Batman! Well, in mind and spirit, that is :).

Kate Bartolotta Dec 19, 2011 12:23pm

And that's what counts;)

anonymous Dec 19, 2011 12:38pm

Excellent. I guess that means I can retire my costume. the citizens of gotham can stop staring now, :).

Kate Bartolotta Dec 19, 2011 1:02pm

Thank you Skavinger1984 for my biggest laugh of the day! Awesome!

anonymous Dec 19, 2011 2:00pm

my pleasure! feel free to call me Richard, btw. Or Batman, if that fancies you more :).

anonymous Dec 19, 2011 11:19am

Oh la la! Thanks for ruining my super productive day and making me fall in love with Batman, now I’m dreamy. Add e.e. cummings and I’m lost! You’re evil, Kate. 🙂

I'd never analyzed Batman in depth before, but I've always preferred him to pretty-boy-superman or cute-boy-spiderman.
“His true superpowers are his mind, his broken heart, and his indomitable will.” Ok. Calling the Joker right now, let’s see if I can get kidnapped.

Kate Bartolotta Dec 19, 2011 11:31am

Haha! But you don't have to wait & be rescued by Batman…you can BE Batman! (Batwoman? Batgirl? 😉 Wonder Woman is overrated…I want to be Batgirl!

anonymous Dec 19, 2011 11:58am

Well, I'm already Batgirl – or more like Nice Cat with Bat wings… Bat-like in any case. El murciélago interior. 🙂

anonymous Dec 19, 2011 8:33am

Love this, Kate! What an incredible introspective. Hearts of a feather….and only those as tender and fierce as yours could see the beauty in this character the way you so eloquently describe. Gorgeousness.

Kate Bartolotta Dec 19, 2011 8:38am

Thanks Diane! May have to wear my Batman bracelet today…feeling a little tender myself.