Letter from John. March 20, 2012.

Via elephant journal
on Mar 20, 2012
get elephant's newsletter

A letter by John Friend of Anusara Yoga.

But first, some context via elephant editor Waylon Lewis (feel free to skip):

A month ago, leading yoga teacher John Friend was accused of various things by an anonymously-backed web site.

After an initial calm phase, during which we sought to sift agenda-driven accusations and fact, elephantjournal.com has published some 90 articles representing different perspectives from former and current Anusara yoga teachers and students, as well as from outsiders. Nearly all of them are critical.

I published the first and only interview with John Friend, where questions regarding his affairs (which he admitted to publicly for the first time) and the dissolution of the Anusara, Inc. pension (which I clarified through discussion with his anonymous accuser and nine pages of legal documents, which we released) were addressed for the first time. That said, I was not then offered a real interview (the questions were submitted ahead of time, and received days later). My request for a live, open interview has been ignored.

We subsequently published critical statements and discussions with Bernadette Birney, then Douglas Brooks, Amy Ippoliti, then Emma Magenta, and most recently two “Anusara grandmothers.”

While just about all of our coverage has been critical, hopefully all of it has been fact-based, and fair.

As this painful but powerful story winds down, national press has only begun to cover it—and so though many in the yoga community may be ready to get back to the mat, the greater public is just beginning to get a sense of the many difficult yet vital lessons that the mindful community has begun to learn. ~ Waylon Lewis, ed.

~

Below, the new letter from John Friend.

~

Dear Teachers and Community,

It has been a long, painful, confusing month plus for our beloved Anusara yoga community, and for that I wish I could personally and sincerely apologize to each one of you.

Understandably, there is still much confusion about the allegations that precipitated this upheaval and where we should all go from here.

Because of the privacy of others involved and the complexities of the situation, it has been difficult to communicate openly during this time. So thank you for your patience.

In order for the Anusara yoga community (and those who have left it) to heal and move forward, it is imperative that I address the allegations, as well as report on the work being done to help evolve Anusara yoga into a new, more sustainable paradigm. My statement here is offered in sincere hopes of bringing as much clarity as possible.

With the help and encouragement of others I respect and sometimes disagreed with, I have suspended my public teaching as of February 20th to allow for a needed period of self-reflection. In this past month, I have been listening intently to countless valuable suggestions from various segments of our community for restructuring the organization, which I acknowledge as something that is overdue.

With respect to management, I have resigned as a director and officer of the company. We are working toward potentially transferring the ownership of the company to a third party who is not connected to me personally or to my staff, yet continues to be within the community.

***

With respect to the allegations that have been made and other criticisms, I offer the following:

I take full responsibility for being out of integrity in my intimate relationships. I have entered into intimate relations with married women. I am deeply remorseful about my actions in this regard. I will never violate these sacred boundaries again.

I fully recognize that there is a fundamental power differential between student and teacher, and employer and employee. Over the 15 years of Anusara’s history, there were students, who at one point were employees, with whom I was intimately involved. I have earnestly tried over my years of teaching to honor the integrity of my relationships with students. Nonetheless, there were times when I failed in that effort. Even then, however, I was careful and respectful when entering into closer relationships and only after years of cultivating deep trust and friendship with those students. There was never a rush into any of these relationships. My former wife, to whom I was married for 10 years, was initially a student of mine.

Regarding the charge that I am a “sex therapist,” I am absolutely not a sex therapist. I once described the nature of a private relationship as therapy in an effort to hide the relationship, and this was both wrong and the source of the false label.

The speculation that I am a drug trafficker is ludicrous and untrue.

Since I was 15 years old, I have openly practiced and belonged to non-traditional spiritual groups dedicated to bringing positivity into the world through healing prayer circles. I have never had sex during ceremony within these circles. I have never been part of a “sex coven.”

The charge that there was illegal action with the company’s pension fund is simply not true. There was an honest mistake in the administration of the pension plan, which has been corrected. We have verified that it complies with all legal requirements.

Now that there is the beginning of a genuine plan in place for moving Anusara yoga forward independent of my management, I am taking a sabbatical to embrace a process of self-awareness, transformation, and healing. I will be on teaching hiatus and have sought out professional therapists who are helping me on my path.

Those who are angry with me have helped me back to the path as much as those who have supported me—and to all of you, I am grateful.

My best to each of you,

John

About elephant journal

Comments

99 Responses to “Letter from John. March 20, 2012.”

1. robertwolf681 says:

Wow. An empty comment thread beneath an article about John Friend. I guess that's because it's the middle of the night US time right now.

At the risk of being hung, drawn, and quartered, it seems to me that he's beginning to take responsibility for his behaviour here. He actually acknowledges, quite precisely, which allegations he accepts and which he disputes.

I don't know enough about the situation to know whether he's speaking truthfully, or whether he's gone far enough to satisfy those whose trust he's breached, but he's won a little respect from me with this letter.

I suspect that his plans to move Anusara forward are still rather premature. The idea of transferring ownership of the company to 'a third party', for example, seems a bit weird, and I'm guessing he's got a lot more work to do to regain the trust of those he has betrayed. Still, seems like a start.

2. elephantjournal says:

Spot on analysis (particularly for the middle of the night. It's 4 am, my time).

I do feel as if he's holding back less, at least. I do think the transferring ownership "potentially" thing is strange, and obviously the sex therapy question (addressed somewhat in the Anusara grandmothers' letter, which is linked at the top in my contextual introduction) is…a bit weird, as you say. He should probably just do as he says at the end—leave, go into therapy and practice, and return to questions of Anusara's future if and when he can heal, ground and grow, and gain his community's trust back again.

Personally, I'd like to hear John come out from under words and lawyers and answer tough questions publicly, live, raw. I have no idea if that would help him or the situation, but at least we'd be able to look him in the eye and know whose sentiments we were hearing. ~ Waylon

3. thebabarazzi says:

You should all be asleep. It is necessary for a healthy body! On that note…. I like this letter. Waylon, check your email from time to time!

4. robertwolf681 says:

Thanks. I've got a headstart on that one. I'm in Thailand. It's about half five in the evening here.

Yeah, there are definitely still some unaddressed questions. It seems to me that he's attempting to anticipate a resolution before he's really been through the fire. Which is understandable. I've done it myself. I suspect he's still unwilling to truly give up the perks of leadership and eat humble pie, though.

In his position, I'd be terrified of facing a live, unmediated audience. Perhaps that's one reason why it would be a valuable step for him to take.

5. […] yet, while John Friend was tapping a few sexy ladies on the possible sly, and according to a letter posted on Elephant this morning, admitting to as much, right out in the open was this total mess—The Paris Hiltoning of yoga lifestyle culture—that […]

6. Brian Smith says:

JOHN FRIEND how about you come over to my house and mow my law and clean my house? then I can teach you some half ass yoga while i take calls on my cell phone and ignore you.
    then i will have you drive me from san diego to LAX. But oh wait I will forget my wallet just like you did. And then I will blame the whole thing on you like you did to me.
    I will make you feel small and try to break your spirit. I will try to make you unhappy and stop smiling. You did it to me so now I should return the favor.

7. diane says:

agree completely thank you

8. marylee says:

I am weary of this discussion. I have not read everything written about it so perhaps I am a little under informed, but I am a little confused at some of the drama.

First, were these married women raped? I think not. They were adult participants cheating on their husbands. I am not absolving Mr. Friend of his role in this but really; to act as if it was his entire fault is ludicrous.
    Second, who cares if the man smokes pot? I personally, would not take spiritual advice from someone who is self medicating with pot but I would certainly take his yoga class if I enjoyed it.

Third, I couldn’t care less what he practices as a spiritual belief. If people want to take their clothing off and dance in the moonlight, good for them. It’s not my thing and if I were invited to join, I would most likely decline, as I am sure everyone there in the coven had a chance to do.

I think one of the problems is that people throw around the word Guru fast and easy. John Friend is a man who put together a great system of alignment that works. I take Anusara classes with one of his teachers in Massachusetts and it has been one of my favorite experiences. I have practiced for 15 years and have grown quite a lot due to Anusara, so I will continue to practice the things I have learned no matter if they are labeled.

I saw the JFExposed site. It came across like a petty child was seeking revenge. I read the article by the “Grandmother’s” of Anusara and I have to ask, if it is “not something you want to write”, then why did you write it?

People are upset and feel betrayed. Understandable. John Friend doesn’t seem like a wonderful guy. He seems like a man who worked out a fantastic interpretation of yoga, who believed his own press. He liked being idolized by lots of people who wanted to see a guru instead of a weak man. But all those betrayed need to see that they played a certain role in all of this.

Is Anusara over? Probably. But, I will take all the things I have learned while taking the classes with me for the entirety of my practice.

One last thought, most of the people who practice in the yoga community couldn’t care less about this whole “scandal”. They are tired of hearing about it and want to end the drama.

9. Michael says:

He finally tells the truth after he's been absolutely forced to by other people telling it for him.

You don't get credit for telling us about the sex therapy after initially denying it and having Betsey Downing and Suzie Hurley come forward with it before you. At that point, you're just telling people what they already know.

Also, regarding the "trafficking" charge, your PR company told people a different story… tsk tsk. You're STILL lying.

10. Michael says:

Also, I saw a portion of this letter in draft that said that he was not a sex therapist and never claimed to be… the part about him saying it to hide the relationship was only added AFTER Betsey and Suzie's article came out so he's still only telling people what they already know because he has to instead of being completely honest. Same with the pension plan… he tried to give a retroactive notice(the bare minimum) until the DoL compelled him to do the right thing by telling him he had violated ERISA. Then and only then did he fund the pension and then turn around and try to take credit for doing the right thing.

He will only do the right thing when absolutely forced to. That is the bottom line. At this rate, new truths from the community will be coming out for the next decade and John will deny and then slowly admit to them as people corroborate them.

11. BtwntheLines says:

Mistakes were made. Mine were consensual. I lied about them so I could have more…relationships. This absolves me because they were spiritual. Of course, I don't agree with "all" of the criticism or advice I've received. I will be the one who decides later what happens. You can continue to love my method, which belongs to the corporation that I control. Oh, and those teachers and students who have left: I don't care about you.

12. Brian Smith says:

hey i am not in AUS. You shut up!

13. Brian Smith says:

this is exactly how john friend sells people. lots and lots of words that really do not mean anything.
    Ansuara Yoga = DISHONESTY

14. Doug Keller says:

This is why it matters — on the issue of sexual behavior — and the issue of John Friend conducting ‘sex therapy’ in particular. Like many, you may feel that this should be considered a purely private matter of activity among consenting adults.

But in the context of the yoga ‘industry’ as part of the health industry, this matter is an open invitation to regulation. Any massage therapist, for instance, would have had his license revoked and would face legal penalties if not arrest, as well as a lawsuit for the kinds of activities (specifically ‘sex therapy’) to which JF has already admitted.

When these matters draw greater attention through the media (and it’s coming, folks), it will be the basis for an argument that yoga teachers should be held to the same laws and standards — in other words, there will likely be a strong argument for regulation that will impact all of us.

There is ALREADY a law under consideration in Florida to require that all yoga teachers be certified massage therapists. (The law itself is unconnected to these events, but does set a precedent) An owner of a studio in Florida who is a friend of mine is already pursuing massage training and certification in anticipation of this law, so she regards it as a very real possibility that it will pass.

Yoga teachers: you should know what this entails, if you don’t already. First stop and consider the possibility that your career as a yoga teacher could come to a grinding halt as you take a year off to study massage therapy. If the laws are pursued on a state-by-state basis (very likely), then traveling teachers will have their options narrowed accordingly.

After stopping to think how well you would fare under those circumstances (including the cost of massage training), consider this: massage therapists have to be fingerprinted at the police station because the state holds them under the perpetual suspicion that they are potential prostitutes or operating ‘massage parlors,’ and it is routine for the police to check up on them,including studios that hire massage therapists. They certainly do it in Virginia, unannounced and at whim.

So as a yoga teacher you could also be subjected to visits from the police during your classes as they look in to make sure you are not illicitly curing students’ migraines by adjusting their mula bandhas.

This may seem like a bit of hyperbole to be sure, but not really very far from the truth.

This is what is at stake for all of us, and why the issue even of sexual behavior is significant and merits a serious look.

How the issue is handled will have a bearing on the future even of teachers who have never heard or cared about Anusara, and there is no sweeping it back under the rug as a purely private matter.

Even when writers in the media say, “This is nothing new,” that very statement presents an argument for someone to say, “Well it’s time to put a stop to it!” And there are tax dollars and fees to be made in doing so.

That's the answer to "who cares? It was consensual." (Though even the letter here acknowledges that in situations of a power differential, it is not really as 'consensual' as one might otherwise think).

15. Just Sayin says:

If you're so weary of the discussion, why post 8-paragraphs of yapping about it in the comments?

16. Doug Keller says:

And by the way, licensed sex therapists do not have sex with their clients. It is a huge ethical violation and illegal. This is likely a reason why the story has changed to the excuse of 'covering up a relationship' and a denial of what was previously admitted to.

17. William Tibbet says:

There's so much drama because the women and men who worked with John Friend co-created a cult-like, oppressive work environment that mixed in with a quasi-spiritual, almost entirely mad- up "philosophy." Anusara is nice enough as a form, but personally I am wearied not of more reportage, but of the endless claims that this is a 'system that works." Who cares Bikram "works" as Bikram; ashtanga as ashtanga, Iyengar as Iyengar. Same for parana flow, Forrest, etc. What set Anusara apart was the daffy pseudo-spirituality generated by its teachers and cult leader, plus the fact that that was combined with corporatism. Now the men and women who co-created it are disillusioned and crying foul. but they were part of it. They still are. And they are the only ones who can change their yoga culture, no matter what "JF" does.

18. Lisa Wells says:

Spot on Doug. I've had a number of careers with legal and ethical standards prior to becoming a Yoga teaching. John's behavior would have have resulted in his having his license revoked in most any other field. John has seduced not only his students but himself with his charisma. And this is the dangerous side of tantra: falling out of spiritual integrity to be seduced by tamasic behavior. There is true power to cause harm here, and John has crossed that line. In tantra there is a fine line between sorcerer and shaman.

19. Nope never met the man and certainly not “banging” him. But mature response from you

20. elephantjournal says:

Well, I'm already up! Checking email. It's quite a life.

21. elephantjournal says:

Brother, we're all about speaking one's mind, but please do so respectfully. I think you're on strike two. ~ Waylon.

22. William Tibbet says:

"Shaman?" I'm not trying to be ad hominem here, but it does get sort of ludricrous watching this predominantly white upper class American (and also, mostly female) crowd get taken in by "shamanic" notions. It just seems, from the outside, like so much cultural imperialism, so much cherry-picking out of other people's traditions. It's not that I would actually say to anyone, Oh, you're white upper class American blah blah blah, therefore you can't/shouldn't blah blah blah, but as a larger cultural phenomenon, it's icky. For all the chat about "integrity" and self-reflection, the American yoga world in general seems the most racially and politically obtuse, insular and inter-culturally tone-deaf of any on the international yoga scene. If Anusara changes, I hope it changes more towards some conscientiousness about not just glomming on to Orientalized traditions and glopping them together and calling that "spirituality."

23. designaire says:

Yoga has be Americanized, it's a business now, a commodity. It's competitive and people get injured trying to get to the next level. What happened to being in the moment and the spiritually of it all.

24. SQR says:

I'd been wondering why the "sex thing" matters, given that everyone involved was a consenting adult (though perhaps easily led) … this is the first post/comment I've read about why it might actually matter. Hope these scenarios can be avoided.

25. omiya says:

But he is only admitting things, one piece at a time, AFTER incontrovertible evidence has been published that he is incapable of denying. He is not taking any responsibility, he is being forced to admit to allegations that have been proven in the press. He has taken no initiative in taking responsibility for anything.

26. omiya says:

oops someone else already said this below (Michael), should've read all the way through first.

27. sueann says:

just curious as to why elephant journal feels so compelled to show their bias toward the anusara tradition….i don't read much about vinyasa, iyengar, restorative (etc) yoga on this blog…..totally bored with it all….if it isn't amy ippolitti, it's john friend…..if it isn't about john friend, it's about elena brower…..giant yawn

28. sueann says:

love this!!!! amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. gina says:

all i can say is check out michelle dawson's blog post BLACK DIRY GODDESS!!!! stop wasting your time and energy here….get back to THE PRACTICE with michelle!

30. gina says:

black DIRT goddess…where's spell check when you ned it ? 🙂

31. Annie Ory says:

Where's the thumbs down button?
    Yes, I want to be able to express an opinion I don't care about enough to write anything more.
    If we can't have thumbs down, we shouldn't have thumbs up.

32. omiya says:

Plus, really, Anusara is Iyengar yoga made palatable for short attention-span, fun-seeking North Americans. John Friend may have been bad at a lot of things, but he was a very good businessman. (that is about it)

33. bhagat_singh says:

John, you just can't win for losing… you deny and obsfucate. Then, you release details while saying you were the victim of a cruel personal vendetta. Then, you get called out by your own teachers, create some short-lived transfer to someone who would just do what you needed, then a non-profit, now a third-party.

Then, we get this letter. Seemed like an intentional correct step, but the more one reads it, the more it just begrudgingly acknowledges that he's been outed and folks have talked.

He still just can't say he's sorry and leave it. He has to keep justifying it – to wit: "Even then, however, I was careful and respectful when entering into closer relationships and only after years of cultivating deep trust and friendship with those students. There was never a rush into any of these relationships. My former wife, to whom I was married for 10 years, was initially a student of mine."

So, is it better that you had time and consideration and kept moving in the incorrect direction? I'm not saying it would be alright if they were one-night stands, but it reads like you just took your time and insinuated your way into their confidence, and then into their LuLuLemons.

Poorly played – you had such a divine (shadow side) opportunity to really own it, speak to it, not deny it and use it as perhaps your finest teaching moment. It's clear you haven't learned,

34. Matt DuDonis says:

I love this quote by Theodore Roosevelt. I haven’t seen it used once during this Anusara situation, so here goes. Food for thought:

“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

35. Love Yoga says:

Doug I have respsect for your work but your message is based on a conviction. Are you that sure?

Have you talked to a victim beccause I am tired of people quaoting blogs as authentic.

These people need to contact the law if so and a law to protect them is a good thing I would think?

As for the connection to require a massage liscense to practice in Florida.

36. Michael says:

Love Yoga said: It is becoming clear to me that your message about John has deep rooted resentment in your sub sconnscious to draw parallels to comments and issues that are not related to him at all.

Funny you should say that as drawing parallels from Doug's social media activity was the basis of an attempted lawsuit against him by John/Anusara. John had other people basically stalk him on facebook and other sites. You keep trying to rationalize/minimize everything though. Good for you!

37. LynnT says:

Nothing Valiant about there errors. But otherwise great quote!

38. Jim McMahon says:

Nice quote. Thanks…

39. transgressor says:

“Since I was 15 years, old I have openly practiced and belonged to non-traditional spiritual groups dedicated to bringing positivity into the world through healing prayer circles. I have never had sex during ceremony within these circles. I have never been part of a “sex coven.”
    BUT — In your private correspondence to “Laura” as revealed through jfexposed.com , you said:
    ….. “With this common ground of wanting to bring more Light and Love into the world you and I started a small circle to use our knowledge and power to manifest our elevated intentions. Tiffany joined us in this auspicious and sacred endeavor. As part of our rituals you and I both agreed that we would use sexual/sensual energy in a positive and sacred way to help build the efficacy of our practices, which is a common element of most Wiccan circles, as you know”.
    So yesterday you said you never had sex during ceremony, but in corresponding with Laura you said that you used sexual energy to build the efficacy of your Wiccan practices.

40. transgressor says:

Hm. Sounds contradictory to me.
    As part of our rituals you and I both agreed that we would use sexual/sensual energy in a positive and sacred way to help build the efficacy of our practices, which is a common element of most Wiccan circles, as you know.

41. Doug Keller says:

My comment was concerning the issue of sexual behavior and it's possible, even likely consequences for teachers of yoga. This is in answer to the general (and legitimate) question 'Why should we care?' and is made in conjunction with the behavior outlined in the letter you just read form JF. What part of my comment DO you understand?

42. elephantjournal says:

I wouldn't bother to reply, because it's a lose-lose, and incredibly petty discussion, but it's you asking, and you deserve a reply. We found folks getting downarrowed for their opinions, and that's not really what we're about. We're about respectful discussion. I'd be happy to get rid of both, I'm not sure I care either way.

I do know that grandma, and Mark Zuckerberg (FB only offers thumbs up), apparently both agree: if we're too lazy to say anything positive or constructively critical, don't.

43. elephantjournal says:

I addressed your question in the intro, but perhaps you were too eager to comment to read that far?

As I discussed above, If you gather together all our coverage, some 90% of it is baldly critical. So if you're accusing us of bias against Anusara, you and your up arrow friends have a case. I interviewed Richard Freeman and Mary Taylor just a week ago. Many yoga teachers from many traditions, Bo Forbes, Cyndi Lee, Kino MacGregor, Julian Walker, including Leslie Kaminoff, Tias Little, Seane Corn, Rod Stryker (who hosts his book reading and discussion club here)…and many wonderful and diverse others…have contributed writing to and/or support or participate actively in elephant.

BTW, this post, from just a day or two ago, is worth the read: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/03/honoring-t

44. Very sad. And no matter how many sorry's the damage is done.

It's like the ancient saying, 'absolute power corrupts absolutely."

I hope for myself that I never find myself in such a position. Because for me, frankly speaking, I don't understand how one only learns NOW what a real student-teacher relationship is. I have taught for over 15 years now…As a teacher it's already a given that if you were crafty you might be able to abuse people to your own end.

The difference is I actually respect my students and those who study with me. I doubt that John Friend does.
    And perhaps as he does some self-refection he will to his own surprise that 'no' he doesn't respect any of his female students.

And that's just the bottom line….R-E-S-P–E-C-T!

45. Excuse the typos…and missing words…sent that off before reviewing.

46. Lisa says:

My respect for John's handling of the situation has shot up since reading this letter. From my own experience, I've become a less critical judge of how others convey their apologies and messages of remorse. Self-forgiveness is truly the best thing I learned to do when I screwed up terribly; it was the starting point to becoming a better person. I have been molded by the times of deep humiliation and awareness of the hurt I've caused others. Out of tRehis pain I developed a greater sense of respect and responsibility toward others and myself. I pray this for John now; I believe that he is intrinsically good and wants to make amends. Many people have written comments that assume he isn't doing enough or thrashing enough; it seems very self-righteous to me when I read these comments. I used to be more like that.

John is more private than most people realize. He has a right to grieve and regret more quietly for the mess he has caused.

I only hope that those who are flawed will remember a time when they needed forgiveness.

47. mattalign says:

Also, very auspicious timing for John. The first day of spring is a great time for a renewal ritual. I had the good fortune of being in a week long retreat in Costa Rica with John back in 2008. The timing of the letter reminded me of that experience. I thought I would share a few notes that I took of things he said:

"Reality cannot be explained, it can be experienced" "Exprienced in the gaps between the breaths"
    Bharava – The cycle of creation – Learn by experience – embodiment of knowledge and wisdom"
    "Synchronization between parts is the beginning of shraddha"
    "Risayana – A secret that is whsipered by the Universe… To be open to anything that comes your way"
    "Philosophy is the organization of one's viewpoint"
    "You need variability of breathing in training and heart rate"
    "The reaction to the breath – Attitude – The first thing. how do you respond to the pressure? If you are fast, learn to be slow and if you are slow, learn to be fast"

48. mattalign says:

Part 2
    "The breath is the gateway between the emoitonal body and the mind"
    "The serpent is the symbol for creative power – snake energy moves in undulation, wave-like movements"
    "What appears to be straight has waves in it"
    "seed – root – trunk – branch – fruit – seed – etc."
    "We grieve in proportion to how much we love"
    "You need to feed yourself the truth that you are great"
    "You can't just jump from a negative to a positive, faking steps. Wonder, compassion, courage; cultivate these things"
    "Each microcosm holds the macrocosmic archetype"
    "Rhythm and timing. Timing of the pose has effects. Holding the pose longer tempers the nadis. Temperature and duration, holding a pose will temper it and gain strength. A short hold with fast change equals more air element, more creative power"
    "First principle of the hips – Release like you are being cradled and allow yourself to be cradled. Learn to become heavy. Release and let go."

Thanks John!

49. IRM says:

Hi omiya,

Thanks for your great post, I think the more we hear this kind of analysis, the better, and from a variety of people.

50. G.C.Aloha says:

I have seen this quote many times, and I agree with it. But I don't believe it is relevant to this situation. The "worthy cause" is his corporation. And I don't think he's been striving especially valiantly, given his defensive responses and the creepy, controlling behavior so many have described. I agree with Bhagat Singh above: "He still just can't say he's sorry and leave it. He has to keep justifying it ." John Friend has a lot of spiritual work to do, and that is going to be a long process of introspection. He has yet to own what he did because, in all likelihood, he doesn't truly believe he did anything wrong. Hopefully, one day, he will get it. In the meantime, many of us are moving on to other things. There are good things about Anusara as a system, but in my opinion, it's not the be-all-and-end-all he and so many others portray it to be.