How to Care for Introverts (in 12 easy steps).

Via Andrea Balt
on Apr 4, 2012
get elephant's newsletter
(Via Tumblr)

“I’m an introvert… I love being by myself, love being outdoors, love taking a long walk with my dogs and looking at the trees, flowers, the sky…”

~ Audrey Hepburn

I say this often but I’m pretty sure I was a cat in a previous life. If I believed in reincarnation, I’d be purring right now.

You know how there are only two kinds of people in this world: dog people and cat people. And, well, other people too. Not just people who like cats (or dogs) but people who are cats (or dogs).

People who need to be alone often, who are jealous of their space and privacy, who purr unexpectedly or stop purring for no apparent reason (who knows, maybe they just spotted a mouse); who never come when you call them but expect you to answer immediately when they call you. Who cry often, but nobody knows.

On the wiser side of town, they look like they’ve learned to become friends with their solitude.

I could raise my hand here and say “me, me”, but the older I get, the less black & white I see the world, but more like a faded sepia. Sometimes I dance with strangers on the street and others, I’m bothered by my own shadow.

Who sent you, Person in the Mirror? Is this god’s way of spying on me? ‘Cause I’m an atheist today.

(Screenshot Amélie via YouTube)

Overall though, I think there’s a cat in each one of us as much as there’s a dog. Only that in some, the meows are louder than the barks or vice versa.

So, just for the sake of non-violent communication with Self and others, I sometimes have to hand out this little map to my/your introverted heart and hope somebody out there can read maps.

“In an extroverted society, the difference between an introvert and an extrovert is that an introvert is often unconsciously deemed guilty until proven innocent.”

~ Criss Jami

(Via Questionably Late Tumblr)

{Based on Linda Kreger Silverman’s On Introversion.}

An introvert’s kind of life and sort of love: you, me & Amélie.

*Bonus – The Introvert’s Song of the Day.

I’m curious, do you consider yourself more of a cat or a dog? And what do you like or not so much about your cat/dog self?

~ Like elephant culture & elephant Introverted Society on Facebook. ~

About Andrea Balt

Co-Founder / Editor in Chief of Rebelle Society, Wellness Alchemist at Rebelle Wellness & Creativity Curator at Creative Rehab. Unfinished book with a love for greens, bikes and poetry; raised by wolves & adopted by people; not trying to make art but to Be Art. Holds a BA in Journalism & Mass Communication, an MFA in Creative Writing & a Holistic Health Coach degree from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition®. In her work she tries to reflect the wholeness of the human experience by combining Art & Health + Brains & Beauty + Darkness & Brilliance into a more alive, unabridged and unlimited edition of ourselves. She is also on a quest to reinstate Creativity as one of our essential Human Rights to (hopefully and soon) be included in the UN Declaration. Connect with her on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and sign up for her Monthly Stroke of Renaissance.

Comments

62 Responses to “How to Care for Introverts (in 12 easy steps).”

1. Jennifer Twardowski says:

Ahh I LOVE Audrey Hepburn and Amelie! 🙂 I think I need to watch that move now. I'm definitely a cat too! I get some peak "dog" kind of moments but generally a cat. Great post. I very much so relate. Thanks for sharing!

2. Jo says:

How I feel is that my Cat vs Dog self = 50/50

I’ve done personality tests and some categorize me as an extrovert, while others as an introvert.

I think that these basic rules could and do apply to both introverts and extroverts, and that our cat vs dog selves can fluctuate – much in a similar manner to gender fluidity. The line doesn’t really exist.

But I digress..

I’ve been damaged by the label of extroversion as it alienated me as a lot more resilient than I could ever be.

I am a secret introvert to protect myself. (Something I am in the process of understanding and accepting.

Nice article, although maybe a little biased 🙂

3. brooke says:

I'm a cat… but I can be a social butterfly, too. I fall into that my alone time recharges me category, though. Definitely. And I live in a world that is predominantly just in my head. Lol I think us introverts can be very misunderstood. There is a difference between being introverted and having social anxiety or being asocial. A huge difference. We are deep thinkers, our brains are very active and we need little outside stimulus. I think we are sensitive to energies, as well.. I think this could be part of the reason why social interactions with a lot of people can drain us. We pick up on everything going on around us and it is exhausting at times! It is this way.for me anyways. The only things I don't like about my cat nature is I can make my friends feel neglected sometimes. My very social friends anyways. They have to understand it is nothing against them, I'm just not good at returning phone calls or the friendship doesn't last.

4. Amy says:

Very well said, Brooke! You have done an excellent job of describing me. Thank you!

5. jellyjamland says:

Thank you! This is certainly an awesome post!! I consider my self an introvert and I am definitely a cat person!! I hope you have a wonderful day 🙂

6. thomas machi says:

most of these things sound like condescending "isms". i don't need you to treat me in a particular manner because there's 'something' wrong with me. because i'm not "like" you. i just want the respect you show to every one else who is different. because, in the end, we are all different. i don't have to be like you. and really, i don't want to be like you.

7. vero says:

Definitely a Cat! (Yes capital letter. ..) I can be sociable but only with certain people. .. much as a cat would just ignore or walk away from 20 people trying to get close and some other people just make me feel as comfortable as a life long friend…

8. rocky says:

this comment is opposite of keeping personal things private

9. beth says:

#13 actually care, listen and actually hear.

10. debaumer says:

I think that, esp. in Western society, we need to teach the difference between extroverts and introverts to parents and teachers and explain that children are ok, just as they are. You can truly screw up a child trying to change her from an introvert into an extrovert, as so many do. I've been a cat all my life, but have had the dog dragged out of me, clawing and growling, ever since I can remember. I bite now, on occasion. :p

11. Ken Sears says:

I had the same experience as Shane reading this. In the usual sense of "cat person" I'm 100% NOT! I love dogs, not cats…but can't be around either due to allergies. But in the odd sense you are injecting into "cat person", i.e., what one "is", not which animal one likes, I have to admit that I am likely all "cat ". Oh yes, the more I think about it…very much so. Never thought about it like that before. Thanks for the offbeat angle. I always enjoy those.

12. Linda says: