Do you have a psycho boss?
Or maybe the company you work for has grown. And so has your workload…
We all experience stress at work on occasion. Not all stress is bad and some work stress is to be expected. But sometimes the demands at work are just too much. Some people are better able to handle work stress than others. And it can feel hopeless for those that are unable to deal with excessive work stress. But thankfully, there are lots of options for those of us that take our work too seriously. Here are 10 tips to help deal with the stress that work can cause.
1. Don’t sweat the small stuff. The simple fact is, sometimes we have to just let things go. If there isn’t anything we can do about it, don’t worry about it.
2. Slow down your pace. There’s something to be said for the old saying, “Stop and smell the roses.” Just because we’re going full throttle doesn’t mean we’re getting that much accomplished. Sometimes if we just take a moment to slow down, breathe deeply, and take a few steps back we can put things in better perspective. And let’s face it; we get a lot more accomplished when we can actually focus on what we’re doing instead of rushing head on.
3. Take a break. Take a few minutes every hour to take a break and refresh yourself. Take breaks throughout the day. Use your lunch break to meditate as a way of dealing with the anxiety you are experiencing. If you need privacy, take frequent bathroom breaks.
4. Know and accept your limitations. Be realistic about what you can accomplish in a day’s time.
5. Don’t take on more than you can handle. If your workload is too much, talk with your employer. He/she may be able to reduce the amount of work you are responsible for or move you to a position that is less stressful for you.
6. Talk to someone with whom you trust. Sometimes just talking about the situation in a trusted environment can diffuse the negativity that you are feeling. If you don’t have someone at work or home that you feel comfortable talking about the situation with, seek out the advice of a counselor to get an unbiased opinion.
7. Practice healthy habits. Studies have shown that exercise helps reduce all types of stress—physical, emotional, and mental. Also, make sure you are eating right and getting enough sleep. Healthy lifestyle choices help combat the negative effects of stress which can help you be more mentally prepared throughout the day.
8. Become more relaxed. A relaxed person is less likely to become stressed out and is better able to cope with stressful situations. There are numerous online websites and self-help books that teach meditation techniques. Or find a local yoga class and escape for an hour or two.
9. Take a mental day off. Go to the beach. Hang out with friends. See a good movie. Do something that has nothing to do with work! Play… Play… Play.
And perhaps the most important tip….
10. Leave work stress at work! Have clear boundaries and don’t take your work home with you. When you leave work, imagine the stress of the day draining away from you. Relax and enjoy the evening.
Stress can put a serious kink in a person’s day. But you don’t have to let your work stress get the best of you. Take charge of your life! Start implementing these tips today to relieve stress while increasing your productivity, enjoyment, and health.
Like elephant work and money on Facebook.
Editor: Kate Bartolotta
Read 5 comments and reply