This is what one sip of soda does to your body.

Via elephant journal
on Jul 3, 2012
get elephant's newsletter

soda bear nature animals children

>>> Update (January, 2015): Coke plans to make their soda less sweet in Canada. (That doesn’t make the below info less disturbing, though.)

I live in the fittest state in the nation. But before we go patting ourselves on our toned backs, let’s remember: only 20 years ago, when I graduated high school, our current state of obesity would have made us the fattest state in the nation.

Stat: America’s gaining weight, and quickly.

Time to wake up, parents in particular! ~ Waylon Lewis, ed.

Click here for Map.

Think the below is sca-wee? It gets scarier.

Note: Double-click image to make it huge and readable:

Update:

According to one of our readers, the chemical that should be listed on this image is Bisphenol A, as there are two phenol groups in this chemical.

~
And:

What Happens One Hour After Drinking A Can Of Coke

~

Do you know what’s in your beer? Know your beer. Enjoy your beer:

Weight loss, racism, self-acceptance, humor:

About elephant journal

elephant journal is dedicated to "bringing together those working (and playing) to create enlightened society." We're about anything that helps us to live a good life that's also good for others, and our planet. >>> Founded as a print magazine in 2002, we went national in 2005 and then (because mainstream magazine distribution is wildly inefficient from an eco-responsible point of view) transitioned online in 2009. >>> elephant's been named to 30 top new media lists, and was voted #1 in the US on twitter's Shorty Awards for #green content...two years running. >>> Get involved: > Subscribe to our free Best of the Week e-newsletter. > Follow us on Twitter Fan us on Facebook. > Write: send article or query. > Advertise. > Pay for what you read, help indie journalism survive and thrive.

Comments

83 Responses to “This is what one sip of soda does to your body.”

1. delora says:

High fructose corn syrup slows the synapses of the brain – basically making you stupid.

2. Colin Wiseman says:

And also goes a long long way of making folks fat. The BBC told me so 😀

3. mccubma says:

Is there a similar chart for diet soda?

4. @gmcheeseman says:

I rarely drink sodas, but after seeing that illustration, I'm not drinking them at all.

5. Annie Ory says:

@mccubma – it's that chart but you can replace the sugar impact with the impact of aspartame – blech – even worse.

6. Lisa says:

SODA ? Are you referring to all fizzy drinks ?

As I understand SODA to be very similar to lemonade but without the high sugar content I am finding this story really hard to swallow. If the word SODA is referring to COKE, PEPSI, LIMEADE, CHERRYADE, etc then I fully understand…

By the way I am not a fizzy drink drinker !

7. James says:

This information is ABSOLUTELY spot on! Humans should NEVER consume pop, soda…what ever you prefer to call it. We consume so much of this globally that coke and pepsi are making tens of BILLIONS of dollars making everyone fat, sick, and nearly dead.
    Wake up world, the "engineered" food supply being shoved at you and approved by your governments is going to start killing more and more people earlier in life.
    You heard it here first

8. ANOOP says:

great information on what a soft drink can do harm to you

9. Arodion says:

Bout a liter per day for the last 6 years, probably half that for 10 years before then:

24yo, 140lbs, active athlete, above average iq.

Its not the soda making you fat. Its your sedintary lifestyle.

10. Orlando says:

Does anyone out there have any info on "Latte'" and diabetes?

11. Michelle says:

This article was written by a bunch of quacks. I drink at least 5 cans of diet soda per day, every day, and have done so for probably the last 20 years. I'm in my 30s and I have no issues with any of the medical conditions listed. In fact, I am quite healthy without any chronic medical conditions. I also eat a balanced diet, do not smoke, and I exercise 4-5 days per week, and drink plenty of water. Try doing those things and don't blame the soda, sillies.

12. Jill says:

Everything in moderation and get some exercise!

13. elephantjournal says:

It's not one or the other, of course. I know an elderly lady who's smoked a pack or more a day for decades. Doesn't mean it's good for you. It just means you, and she, and others are making up for an obviously unhealthy habit with a good constitution, good genes, and other healthy habits. Last we checked, America's in the middle of obesity epidemic—including our children—and sugared milk and soda are a great part of that.

14. elephantjournal says:

I'm climbing right now (at the indoor gym, working on rest breaks!) Amen!

15. Ro says:

This is truly amazing, because as Americans, soda is probably the easiest and cheapest beverage available and we really don’t think about what we consume daily! This makes me think twice or thrice!

16. guest says:

shouldn't tap water be the easiest and cheapest beverage? except in some rural areas, tap water is usually safer than bottled water. Don't like the taste? add some lemon/lime/cucumber. (or get a Brita water filter)

17. hal2001 says:

well… i don't drink (one or two beers a week), i don't smoke, and i don't do drugs… and i workout/ run/ play basketball daily.(im 6'2", 190 lbs. and super fit) i enjoy a diet pepsi/ coke, probably one/ day…. is there anything i can eat/drink that isn't going to kill me??

18. hal2001 says:

exactly!

19. […] This is what one sip of soda does to your body. This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. ← Relief for Joints Besieged by Arthritis […]

20. zwrdl says:

One sip? This is the kind of alarmist crap I would expect from a political advertisement. Whereas it might be true that over time the effects of soda increase the probabilities for these detrimental effects, one sip of it will do absolutely nothing harmful unless there is an allergy to one of the ingredients.

But it makes a nice headline, doesn’t it? The fact that it reduces the credibility of elephantjournal apparently was a secondary consideration.

21. gayathri sridhar says:

ok nice thing of awareness, will be a better one if it is put in the terms in which children could understand!

22. Mike says:

what a crap article, not founded on any proven hard, facts. Show the research sources and related official documents??? These are all assumptions, fantasy. If, then, there, is, when if and maybe perhaps.

23. kris says:

I'm surprised to find so many people disagreeing with this- I thought it was old news. Soda is TERRIBLE for your health and should never be consumed. Diet soda is even worse (aspartame and other artificial sweeteners are neurotoxins, among other things). And yes, there are TONS and TONS and TONS of studies and research to back this up. You really can't argue with the fact that soda is detrimental to your health in a multitude of ways, just look at the ingredients! I suggest checking out Dr. Mercola's Website and searching for more articles on soda and its ill health effects. And just because you have been drinking diet soda your entire life and are alive doesn't mean a thing- people say the same of alcohol, cigarettes, hell even heroine! Doesn't mean you are truly healthy, and for most people soda is linked to obesity though of course if you are eating well overall and exercising then you will maintain your weight regardless.
    It is really about informing yourself- do not assume that because something is so accepted socially that it is healthy or safe to consume. Research it and you will find this diagram is spot on and hopefully wake up!

24. kris says:

Whole, real food.

25. Dan says:

To those who would nay say, remember this: Icebergs of this magnitude can be mostly underwater. Soda consumers may think they are doing well now, but the stress on the organs to maintain healthy functionality will at some point show their wear and tear and fail to function. I'm watching current soda-drinkers-in-denial destroy their bodies presently – wow, its real life, real consequences! It is like an addiction, they won't stop for all the warnings. When I bid them take heed, they take it as personal criticism, which seems to deepen their resolve not to give it up. I was taken aback: I never realized reliance on food consumables could be so embedded to resist change in diet. I changed mine nearly completely from the one I was brought up with in my household and did it painlessly after possessing greater knowledge. I guess I'm surprised by the stubborness to change for healthy choices over sameness stability even if it means eventual death.

26. elephantjournal says:

Mike, sources are listed at the bottom of the infographic.

That said, nothing wrong with enjoying yummy desserts and such—let's just remember that corn syrup and such aren't good for us, and maybe go for lemonade or quality old school soda pop with less additives. We did a blog on that awhile back.

Also Oogave might be healthier, and still delicious. And Izze I know is made with real fruit juice, must be healthier. We don't have to give up soda (we don't have to do much of anything, it's up to us!).

27. Richard says:

I’m fairly confident that those with an issue with this article are soda drinkers. There is no one study that proves without a doubt that sis will kill you, however, the ingredients comprising soda are pegeen to be detrimental ie corn syrup, aspertame, CO2/oxygen replacement. Those who don’t agree don’t bother me. I just think it’s sad that people fool themselves into thinking that bad habits they indulge in don’t have consequences. Ignoring proof didn’t make it any less valid, people.

28. Vicki says:

My endocrinologist says that diabetics shouldn't consume diet drinks, either. The body can't distinguish between artificial sugars and the real thing. This causes the pancreas to react by dumping insulin into the bloodstream and can lead to insulin resistance, a forerunner of type 2 diabetes. I was never a big soft drink consumer until after becoming diabetic. I thought I was okay drinking diet colas and was drinking about 2 32oz. fountain diet colas each day. I'm weaning myself and I'm down to about 20oz/day. Don't know where I'll get my caffeine now since I'm not a coffee drinker and drink decaf iced tea.

29. […] have to live under a rock these days not to know that soda is hazardous to your health, but in case you are still telling yourself that “diet soda isn’t as bad” or […]

30. tammi says:

Unless you’re drinking Oogave. Much healthier, organic soda! http://www.Oogave.com

31. Sally says:

soft drinks are not good for your health. We know. We agree. We avoid them. But please! One sip? Give us a break, Elephant Journal. And don't be having any kind of sugar in your tea, on your cereal, your mixed drinks, or even in your ice cream.

32. lurkitty says:

I agree with Sally. "One sip" doesn't cause any of the conditions you've shown here. This is chart is reactionary nonsense. And, no, I'm not a soda drinker, as so many of your commentors suggest. I drink good old water!

33. Deanna says:

I’m not a fan of any commercial sodas, but I enjoy a little beverage variety. Water coffee and tea usually do the trick, but my new favor thing is the Soda Stream. You carbonate you own filtered water with a CO2 canister and I usually mix the soda water with orange or lemon juice (I know the acids in citrus can be bad for teeth and I brush a lot). It seems like that can’t be too unhealthy & I feel like a lot of soda drinkers could switch to a healthier habit in this way.

34. thirtydaysofyoga says:

So, I suppose my occasional deep fried fish and chips won't be helping either? OMG! We're all going to DIE!

Oh….wait……

:O)

35. […] calories if you’re not a breakfast person? You drink it. Duh. That’s why America is so fat, our love of soft drinks allows us to consume an entire day’s worth of calories in one sitting. So I decided to try a […]

36. […] I may have shared this before but it demonstrates some of the reasons I completely eliminated soda pop from my diet. This is what one sip of soda does to your body. […]

37. […] Considering that a variant of soda did not arrive in the United States until the 1870’s this statement is, in fact, true. However, if any of our Founding Fathers were alive today, I can’t imagine any of them taking kindly to being told how much soda they could or could not consume. […]

38. Gross. Thank goodness my mom never allowed us to drink soda (well, only with pizza or when the Charlie Brown Christmas special was on). Thanks for sharing this. Hopefully people will really start thinking about what happens to food/drinks once we put them inside of our bodies. – Signed Traci (who has successfully completed her second day of Paleo… craving some sort of bread product, but other than that, feeling great!)

39. @larihughes says:

if we do everything we are supposed to do (diet, exercise, etc.) then what should kill us? i.e. if death by heart disease or cancer is failure, then what is success? death by what? or is immortality the goal?

40. h4x354x0r says:

I see the last comments here were over 2 months ago. I'd like to point out the recent study that has more closely linked diabetes to sugar intake: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.13… This is a worldwide study that tracks the availability of sugar in people's diets, and correlates it to the rise in diabetes in the populations. No other factor (weight, etc.) was as clear, but the availability of sugar in diets correlated across times and cultures to match the rise in diabetes, very consistently. Hope I got that synopsis reasonably close. If not, feel free to clarify.

I have, at times, been a daily soda drinker. It's been about 2 months now since I've had any, and about 6 months since I've had more than 2 per month. Just yesterday I turned down free soda, because it really just doesn't appeal to me anymore. The stuff is addictive, and it's hard to break free. I still consume too much sugar from other sources, but just cutting out a 20oz soda per day is by far the single most effective thing I can do to reduce my overall sugar consumption.

41. We just shared your brilliant chart on our FB. Thank you for sharing this with the world!

42. Bubba says:

This is why I only drink beer.

43. really says:

24yo. You're REALLY young. It's pretty easy to be healthy at 24 years old or even early 30's. If you're still drinking tons of soda at 50…then I'm not too sure.

44. Espie says:

Hi Sally, me too, i couldnt believe it, 1 sip of soda? Until i ve seen a Kangen demo where they put 2small caps filled with soda, ( equals a sip) into 2 liters filled of Kangen water ( alkaline 9,5 PH violet color ) then ii saw how it turned out into orange color that means it becomes very acidic. I believe this is true.

45. Amy says:

Is The Onion the source of this info? I cannot take you seriously. People have been drinking sodas for years. Please.

46. Weeble says:

Almost everyone is healthy at 24 no matter what they do. Try to sustain that kind of consumption at 34 or 44 and you'll see your body go to shit really fast.

47. hhpl says: