8 Blunt Truths About Becoming a Yoga Teacher. (Read this, If You Want Your YTT.)

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 1.0
Hearts 1.0
Comments 1.2
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
30 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
676.4k

You’ve practiced your postures with dedication and possibly have even mastered bhakasana, crow pose. But are you really ready to become a yoga teacher? Here is the real scoop on what it’s like.

Now you want to become a yoga instructor.

Are you sure that’s your path? Sharing the benefits of yoga with your community is a wonderful goal. But before you invest in an expensive teaching training program, it pays to consider a few things.

1. Yoga is more than asanas. The 8 Limbs of Yoga:

Many practitioners have a devoted asana practice but neglect the holistic view of what yoga encompasses. There are actually eight limbs to yoga, and flowing through downward dog and triangle pose is just one little aspect.

1. Yama: universal morality
2. Niyama: personal observances
3. Asanas: body postures
4. Pranayama: breathing exercises and control of prana, life force energy
5. Pratyahara: control of the senses
6. Dharana: concentration and cultivating inner perceptual awareness
7. Dhyana: devotion, meditation on the Divine
8. Samadhi: union with the Divine

Still on board? Keep reading!

2. Your mission is to shed light for students, not to master.

The best teachers live their yoga practices on and off the mat. Are you in the right head space to take on teacher training? Applying the eight limbs of yoga to your life is an essential step toward instructing others. Students will see right through fake “yoga bliss” or personal motives. No one wants to spot their seemingly enlightened teacher making rude comments on the street or pulling into the nearest pro-GMO fast food joint. No one is perfect; it’s all about balance. However, our true selves will shine through to our students, and that is what they will mirror. Make sure your feet are on the ground before you teach others your habits. As an instructor, it is your responsibility to put your best self forward.

~

*Grab your girlfriend for vinyasa & vino with Dahlonega Spa Resort’s Wine & Wellness Package – book now and get a discount when you mention Elephant.

~

3. In today’s yoga market, you have to specialize your education.

There are so many different types of yoga out there, from Bhakti to Kundalini to Power Flow. Try different styles so you don’t waste money on a training that doesn’t suit you. You just might surprise yourself by taking a new class and learning that you’re into that whole breath-of-fire thing. Once you find a yoga that clicks, you’ll be able to hone in on a school that’s right for you. Some schools are more demanding than others, and you get out what you put in. When choosing a training, look into the reading list, check out the books, investigate guest teachers and learn about the certification requirements. Would you prefer to learn over a long period or spend an intensive couple of weeks? You know your lifestyle and what would work best for you.

4. It’s essential to find the right teacher.

Practice with many instructors until you find one who resonates with you. Understand what you are getting yourself into. In your enthusiasm to get certified, you don’t want to end up with a loony teacher or in a creepy yoga cult. Unfortunately, a lot of teacher trainings are about money and not authenticity. Take your time and follow your heart. The right teacher will come to you.

5. To get paid by teaching yoga, remember the 20/80 rule.

Most teacher trainings will take your money no matter who you are. Anyone who pays can get a certification, but not everyone will become a successful instructor. To be a success, you need 20 percent facts—earning a yoga teacher certification—and 80 percent business savvy. One of the biggest obstacles for yoga instructors is consistent attendance. Have you thought about how you would market your classes? Are you tech savvy? Do you know how to make a website, flyers and posters? How will you get students to your class? And how will you keep them coming back?

6. Be smart about your finances.

Pay attention to the economic reality of being a yoga instructor. You will be making an initial investment upwards of $3,000 for your teacher training. If you opt to teach at someone else’s studio, make sure you understand its payment process. Some studios pay a flat rate per class, some pay per student and some are donation based. Does the studio advertise? Does it offer health insurance? Opening your own studio is a huge investment that could take years to recoup.

7. Find your own style.

The Bhagavad Gita, an ancient Indian yoga text, states that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else’s life with perfection. To keep students coming back, you need to be you! Have something special that sets you apart. Think about your favorite instructor. Why do you like her? What qualities make you consistently return to her? Like an artist in training who learns to reproduce exact replications of Van Gogh’s Starry Night, beginning yoga instructors can copy a master instructor they admire. However, there comes a point when you will need to tap into your own creative consciousness and bring forth your own style in your teaching.

~

*Mayan culture & Caribbean vibes at Maya Tulum Resort, Tulum, Mexico – book now and get a discount when you mention Elephant.

~

8. It’s OK to get support!

Still think being a yoga instructor is your path? Bring family and friends along for the ride. This journey can become overwhelming, and you don’t want to lose sight of who you really are. Consider other instructors not as competitors but as allies you can learn from. Yoga is all about union—not about whether you own a pair of mala beads, have the hottest yoga gear or have mastered bhakasana. Once you obtain your certification, you are just as much a student as you are a teacher. Make friends in your training and have fun!

Becoming a yoga instructor is a rewarding journey and not for everyone.

No matter your age, location, finances, gender or background, listen to your heart. It will tell you if this is your true calling.

Rachael Carlevale, certified yoga instructor, dedicated to the pursuit of sustainable, holistic healing methods and lives by the words of Neem Karoli Baba: “Love everyone, serve everyone.” A dedicated yogi since 2002, Rachael became a certified Hatha Yoga teacher under the lineage of Sri Shambhavananda and earned a pre-med degree with honors from the University of Massachusetts. She is working toward an eco-conscious revolution for human health through her Durango, Colorado-based business, Yoga Grown, serving her community as the education program manager at the Responsible Sex Education Institute of Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains and she has spent time exploring medicinal plants with the Shipibo Tribe in the Peruvian Amazon. Rachael’s creative teaching techniques are infused with a blend of tantra, vinyasa flow, balance and our sacred connection with the earth; her classes equip every body with valuable tools to use on and off the mat.

Like elephant Yoga on Facebook.

Ed: Brianna Bemel
Asst. Editor: Wendy Keslick

Waylon talks with Yoga Girl, Rachel Brathen

Waylon talks with elephant star, instagram heroine, yoga girl Rachel Brathen

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 1.0
Hearts 1.0
Comments 1.2
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
30 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
676.4k

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

anonymous Jan 25, 2016 11:45am

thank you , i am following the same 8 point you given on your lesion, i have all most 10 years of experience in yoga,and start to teaching ,honestly ,but people asking about certificate so recently i have dun a certificate course from a yoga institute,i am teaching free of cost , now i want to charge fees to survive my self . advise me , regards. Ranjan bora ,

anonymous Jan 1, 2016 6:10am

I came across your site because I am interested in learning to become a yoga instructor. The reason I would like to become an instructor is that I want to learn the disciplines and practice to help me to change the way I live my life. Eventually when I retire i would like to become an instructor. Any recommendations on where I should begin to look for training?

anonymous Dec 2, 2015 12:00am

Thanks for sharing such great information. Yoga changed my life a lot, and still changing it. As a yoga instructor I recommend to choose the best yoga instructor training wisely. Cheers!

anonymous Mar 5, 2015 8:59pm

Nice one! Also important to get trained the right way… Think about training in the Himalayas @ http://www.trimurtiyoga.com/yoga-teacher-training-dharamsala-india/

anonymous Feb 4, 2015 6:52pm

Nice article! I am in a teacher training in the Shambhava lineage – nice to see you were trained in it too! I tried out a bunch of different teaching studios before deciding on this one, mainly because they seemed to be the only ones really living their yoga.
I'm a little nervous about getting attendance, but I AM tech-savvy and I'm sure it will all go well. Shanti shanti shanti!

anonymous Jan 21, 2015 9:45pm

The 80/20 rule mentioned in this article is so true. 80% of success in teaching yoga is entrepreneurship and business savvy. I made a little course called Yoga. Money. Business. for those of you interested in just the business/financial aspect of teaching yoga and what the numbers actually net out to. http://www.brettlarkin.com/how-much-do-yoga-instructors-make/ I also have a free mini class for those considering yoga teacher training with helpful hints. As the article says, anyone will take your money for teaching training, so it’s best to really think about if it’s right for you. http://www.brettlarkin.com/yoga-teacher-training-cost/

anonymous Jan 16, 2015 1:17am

the gita is the indian bible not a yoga text. westerns get everything wrong

anonymous Nov 18, 2014 1:32pm

Some people may think that being a teacher is sort of glamorous but they're not always aware of the time sacrifices: waking up before 6am for an early class (got to take advantage of the high demand morning rush) the afternoons with little to do, honestly, who's taking a class that part of the day, and the late evenings (again, high demand hours).

Yoga is amazing…for the right personality type.

anonymous Oct 4, 2014 4:30pm

"No one wants to spot their seemingly enlightened teacher…..pulling into the nearest pro-GMO fast food joint". Ummm, I wouldn't want a teacher who is a sanctimonious judgmental jerk either!

anonymous Sep 17, 2014 11:18am

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I look forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

anonymous Aug 17, 2014 3:35am

No offense but anyone who has any understanding of Bhagavada Gita would not be affiliated with planned parenthood in any way.. That was enough to scare me away. Yikes!

anonymous Aug 14, 2014 10:58pm

Crow pose is "kakasana"

anonymous Aug 12, 2014 5:06am

You took the thoughts out of my mind, Rachael. Such a blessing to hear you express your view. It rang very true with my own views about Yoga and it's 8 limb approach:-) Aldo:-) Perth

anonymous Aug 5, 2014 3:50pm

Being a yoga instructor is not just about showing your physical capabilities to students, but about being a great personality at the first place!

anonymous Jun 12, 2014 7:04pm

Someone has taught this woman properly. In listing the first two items on the list she has effectively touched on the larger issues facing Yoga today – the perception that yoga is stretching, poses, or exercise (in its entirety) and that the teacher must be living the practice.

There is one thing I'd like to add to what Rachael has shared. And that is the phrase "morality" as it relates to a definition of Yama. Moral, by definition, implies the concept of right and wrong. And certainly there are interpretations (all too common) that make reference to Yama being moral. Yet in the complete works of the Yoga Sutras (where the concept of yama and niyama are codified) there is no reference to "right" or "wrong". Instead the works of Patanjali offers a method for reducing human suffering. You re not "good" if you do it and you are not "bad" if you do not. Ergo there cannot be a universal morality.

anonymous Mar 21, 2014 9:14am

Great article…except Bakasana has no 'h' and means crane (or water bird). Kako means crow. Namaste.

anonymous Mar 4, 2014 10:31am

As I get older, I get creakier and I'm hoping yoga may be the answer. Can anyone recommend a class in south-east or east London that focuses mostly on the physical side of yoga and less on the meditative/spiritual aspects? Or should I try some programs from a company like http://www.lifelinemobile.com/quality.htm ? What do you think?

anonymous Dec 14, 2013 4:48pm

I'm really curious why she's wearing that style of makeup in the photograph?

anonymous Nov 21, 2013 9:07am

This is a great article. I have always loved and trusted my yoga instructors and maybe someday I will be able to share my own experience to help others. What kinds of yoga instructor certifications are generally needed? How do they vary?

anonymous Oct 23, 2013 6:00am

Teaching Yoga gives us an opportunity to serve others, enabling us to really be of help to others in improving the quality of their lives. Teaching Yoga also motivates us to learn more about Yoga and deepen our own practice. It encourages us to express the positive side of our personality. Online yoga courses are of great help for those who have a day job as they are convenient and provide flexibility. But understanding these truths about becoming a yoga instructor is equally important.

It was wonderful reading this article. Thanks for sharing Elephant Journal.

anonymous Aug 29, 2013 3:19pm

This article was great, people should only do this from the heart. If you are looking to make money then you have not understood yourself yet.

I’m wanting to learn yoga to practice while in school. Free yoga for all. It would be perfect to help me grow more as well and defiantly help me once I start practing medicine.

Be the change you want to see. Love y’all

anonymous Aug 16, 2013 6:30pm

I'm surprised to read something so right on about yoga teacher training and becoming a yoga teacher. 7 years after my training, I'd definitely still consider myself a student, although I've been told I'm a good teacher too. This is a good article for potential teachers and experienced teachers alike.

anonymous Aug 14, 2013 5:18pm

Great article! I do my YTT next month, and after reading this I am still ready to become a yoga teacher… So, that's good. 0:)

anonymous Jul 22, 2013 9:01pm

Am I the only one who noticed the "she" references in number (7). Not all teachers are women!!

anonymous Apr 29, 2013 12:08pm

Great article Rachael! I have been practicing Raja yoga for over forty years, mostly by myself. Lately, I have been drawn to share my somewhat limited knowledge with others. I have been attending classes and I am amazed by how yoga has changed. Teachers who are openly carnivorous in their dietary choices 🙁 What about Yama "do no harm". It is hard to kill and eat a being without causing harm. Consume dairy and the male calf still get turned into veal.

anonymous Apr 26, 2013 6:41am

AWESOME article Rachael! I'm a coach and mentor to yoga professionals (for their yoga biz & personal lives) who also happens to naturally be an optimist in life overall. I really appreciate that you shared the facts about becoming a yoga teacher but did it in a way that wasn't all "doom and gloom" like other "so you want to be a yoga teacher" articles do. I think it's always important to be prepared and know what you are committing yourself to. And with those details a person can choose to look at things with a sense of hope and possibility or feel defeated right from the beginning. Thanks for sharing the facts for those looking into becoming a yoga teacher, and for doing it in a way that is light and makes room for positive possibility! I very much look forward to reading more from you in the future!

anonymous Apr 26, 2013 4:16am

Thank for sharing.

anonymous Apr 25, 2013 7:22pm

This article is right on, Before deciding to embark on a yoga teacher training, I decided to live a yogic life. This Took major modifications to my lifestyle, and took a long time for my family to accept. I am now on my teacher training journey, and could not be happier. I am happy, because I am putting everything that I have into it, and because I love doing it. I also love interacting with other yoga teachers, and with students. This is truly a life-changing journey, and one must be ready to make serious changes before embarking on that journey. Thank you so much for your article.

anonymous Apr 25, 2013 9:17am

nice grateful dead reference!

anonymous Apr 25, 2013 12:18pm

The Dead have been quite an inspiration on my path! Thanks!

anonymous Mar 21, 2014 9:23am

The Dead have also been a huge inspiration for me as well. I recommend Anders Osborne (lately with Phil and Friends) for similar guidance. Many songs about rebirth and redemption to chose from.

anonymous Apr 25, 2013 8:07am

Many thanks for sharing your insight into the detailed considerations for becoming a yoga teacher. I am so grateful to share my mat with you during your radiating mind, body, and spirit yoga classes! You are an amazingly beautiful yogini, sister, and friend. Much love and light on your ever expanding journey!!

anonymous Apr 25, 2013 6:54am

"The teacher and the taught together create the teaching". I wonder if I don"t have to be a perfect, never eat Wendy's, Prius driving, yoga teacher in order to guide others on a path that has helped me? What if I have many flaws but, some how am still able to help even one person find truth and joy even if it is on my way to the GMO factory? I wonder?

anonymous Apr 25, 2013 12:16pm

Yoga is not about being perfect rather about, “putting your best self forward.” No one is perfect; we all have flaws and that is part of being human. It is important to speak your truth – whatever that may be.

anonymous Apr 25, 2013 6:37pm

Thank you for your wonderful insight, Rachael! This article is where its at! You have a very refreshing perspective. If you want to become an instructor, this article should go at the top of your notes…

If you want to sit at home and do yoga alone, a candle and some nice music might work well for your energy. If you want to post on a website about "Yoga, Sustainability, Organics, Ecofashion, Buddhism, Conscious Consumerism, Education, Arts, Wellness, Adventure", and drive a Prius, think about the grid from which your "clean energy" is coming from and how that electricity is produced. Think about the mining practices involved in extracting nickel, lanthanum and neodymium and consider this quote from wiki: …"production of the car is described as "the biggest user of rare earths of any object in the world." How "Yoga" is that?

And if you want to push genetically-modified, disease causing mutagens upon your students, be my guest. Won't be attending that class…..

SHINE YOUR HOLISTIC TRUTH, RACHAEL.

LOVE AND LIGHT

anonymous Apr 25, 2013 6:48pm

Perfection? How about just conscious awareness of our surroundings?

anonymous Apr 24, 2013 11:26pm

"Have you thought about how you would market your classes? Are you tech savvy? Do you know how to make a website, flyers and posters? How will you get students to your class? And how will you keep them coming back?" – no comment

anonymous Apr 24, 2013 11:49pm

Indeed—having good marketing skills does not equate to good teaching skills. While there are nuggets of truth in this article, I do not agree with the 20/80 rule. I won't discount the value of marketing and business, but 80%? Nah. If you don't have the raw talent and dedication to your art, combined with the ability to reach individuals through your teaching ability, no amount of business savvy will help you. And for those who ride on it, well…that's why I do the majority of my yoga at home, by myself. I savor the moments over the years that I have experienced with great teachers, but I equally savor all the time that I invested into my personal practice. I love yoga, and I love some yoga people, but I'm tired of the business of western yoga. Students lean too much on the teacher and not enough on their own knowledge and intuition.

anonymous Apr 25, 2013 11:52am

Absolutely – it is dire that yoga instructors have ‘raw talent and a dedication to the art.’ However, in order to share your light with the world – to inspire others, to show others how to tap into their own knowledge and intuition, one must reach others. It is important to have a personal home practice and as an instructor it is also important to practice seva, selfless service. How can one serve others by themselves in their home? It is ironic to discredit technology and the importance of marketing on an online journal such as elephantjuornal.com. It is this very technology that has allowed for people to share their light and make practices such as yoga accessible to everyone. Even Ram Das, one of the first pioneers of bringing yoga to the west, has turned to online yoga workshops and tele-seminars. One of India’s most spiritual teachers, Amma, known as the hugging yogi, shines her light through the internet as well. In this day and age, the marketing and technology side of yoga can seem ‘un-yoga-like’ yet when we look at the lightness in technology, what is it actually doing? Uniting; uniting one another so we can serve, learn, share and grow.

anonymous Apr 25, 2013 10:44pm

That's your insight? Thanks for that… Please explain your thoughts, because for your information, writing the words "no comment" is actually you commenting…

anonymous Apr 24, 2013 2:07pm

This is marvelous! Congratulations, Elephant Journal, on discovering a rare new talent: Rachael Carlevale is destined to become a yoga ‘star’. She shines so brightly already.

anonymous Apr 24, 2013 12:09pm

I am so enjoying getting to know you by your posts after attending your Red Tent at DMR. Few people have the practice skills, business savvy, interpersonal delight, and spirit grace that you seem to. I am not a Yoga instructor, but have noticed the same kind of caveats and pitfalls in people wanting to be psychologists and personal fitness trainers. Durango is lucky to have you!

anonymous Apr 24, 2013 6:57pm

Thanks Sharon! It was a pleasure to have you in the Red Tent Women's Workshop! Yes, the 20/80 rule is key to making it in the psychology and fitness industries.

Sofia Ali Oct 30, 2018 1:40pm

This is a great article! This is what i've been saying to many ppl, that yoga has become a big business. Everywhere, not just in the western world. And more and more people who just started yoga and who just get a small buzz of it thinking they can be a teacher in a matter of a month! Im dissapointend on many teachers i know who also tried to make money out of TTC. Not everyone are qualified to be a yoga teacher. Bakasana and headstand alone doesn't make it enough to even considering become a yoga teacher. There is so much to do and to learn before you even take TTC. Most of the time i get so dissapointed when going to most yoga studio in NYC, most of the teachers are beginners (im a long and deep practitioner) and they are not qualified to be a teacher, at the end of the day im not learning anything new when i go to those studios around.

Param Swami Jul 10, 2018 2:14pm

Brenda Murphy Calling those who steal from the Hindu/Yoga Dharma "wacky" is really very polite--they are actually arrogant, egocentric theives and looks like you are one of them. How cruel.

Brenda Murphy Jul 10, 2018 11:48am

Param Swami Wacko's? Name calling? Namaste.

Param Swami Jun 13, 2018 1:32pm

Brenda Murphy LOL. We are all one? Bad math. No you, then who is Brenda? New-Age wackos of the world unite!

Rachel Mitton Jun 10, 2018 4:15pm

I am starting a YTT internship and I am so nervous! I have not led classes in a year and a half and I really needed an article like this to check in and find information and resources. I am also going to be looking for a good podcast.

Brenda Murphy Jun 9, 2018 3:47pm

Here is another blunt truth: saying that you need to be a Hindu to teach is missing the fact that we are all one. There is no you or me.

Brenda Murphy Jun 9, 2018 3:36pm

Right on sister! Its funny, I had been practicing for 38 years (since I was 15) before I thought I was ready to teach. I held teaching in very high regard. When I got my Hatha certification of Sivananda lineage, I was surprised to see that most did not come to the course with the same reverence or understanding of what it means to be a yogi.

Param Swami Dec 22, 2017 3:00pm

Here is the blunt truth: If one is not a Hindu and teaching within a Hindu context, one is a total phony.

Trevor Gold Dec 18, 2017 3:04pm

Who the fuck posted this. Because it sure as fuck wasn't me.

Trevor Gold Dec 2, 2017 10:36am

I'm trying to find my path in life and yoga has always been a life line for me. I want to teach, but I'm scared to take the leap.

Sandesh Saini Jul 12, 2017 9:07am

Hi, Thanks for this great post about yoga teacher training. I recommended the name of best hatha yoga teacher training scholl in Rishikesh India that is Jivan Chakra Foundation. There are many courses running like 100 hour yoga ttc, 200 hour yoga ttc, pranayama ttc, hatha intensive, ashtanga intensive, art of adjustment, yoga nidra, meditation, healing etc. http://jivanchakra.com/

Sergei Vorobei Jul 3, 2017 10:32pm

Rachael, kudos for a really well-thought article you wrote here. If I may, I would like to share a few points I strongly believe in about starting to teach yoga. I am myself a long-time teacher at teacher training programs. What I see in every yoga teacher training is, students don't know what they want to teach. Yeah. I mean, yoga is sharing, right? The question is, what is it you want to share? The question is pretty simple, yet quite hard to grasp. Before answering this simple question, every yoga teacher should answer another one: what is yoga? You know your students are going to ask you that, right? So, make sure you yourself are able to give that answer in simple language. You know it takes time for one to realize what yoga really is and how one explains it to others. So, once this is clarified, it would be really easy to identify what you as a yoga teacher are to teach. Or, shall I say, share in your yoga class. A yoga teacher could be well-versed in asana or philosophy, or biomechanics, or meditation, or whatever… No matter what your best understanding is in, it should be crystall-clear to you as a yoga teacher. You polish your diamond of understanding, you know yoga – whatever it is to you personally. Then, having clarified concepts and ideas, one could really start planning finances and all. Agree, Rachael? -- Sergii http://himalayanyogaacademy.com

Varun Sharma Apr 18, 2017 11:00am

Read many blogs on yoga training but this is the only one that emphsizes on the need of a certified trainer/instructor. Some say they can learn yoga by watching videos but they don't understand that yoga goes deeper than that. It is not the means to connect with your abs. It is the means to connect with your soul. This is something that motivated us to start Ekattva Yogshala, a yoga training center in Rishikesh. In addition to providing Yoga Alliance certified 200 hour yoga training program, our experienced trainers and spiritual gurus help trainees in connecting with their inner self. Visit spiritualpunditz.com to learn more about us and our yoga philosophy or drop an email at [email protected] to inquire about upcoming training sessions.

Sukhampreet Sidhu Bhathal Feb 2, 2017 2:37am

I like this article, its an eye opener. Might do my course from India, the courses are very expensive here, i wonder if they would be recognized here though. I practice yoga everyday because i am a thyroid patient. For me teaching yoga would be to enlighten the small community that i live in here in Australia. The people are stressed and they need to introspect a bit more and connect with themselves. so yeah.

Mamta Balani Apr 29, 2016 4:52pm

just perfect article for me. I want to become a yoga teacher but was not aware of mentioned details. Thanks a lot. http://dyanyoga.com/yoga-instructor-training/

Read The Best Articles of March
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

elephant journal

Elephant Journal is dedicated to “bringing together those working (and playing) to create enlightened society.” We’re about anything that helps us to live a good life that’s also good for others, and our planet. >>> Founded as a print magazine in 2002, we went national in 2005 and then (because mainstream magazine distribution is wildly inefficient from an eco-responsible point of view) transitioned online in 2009. >>> elephant’s been named to 30 top new media lists, and was voted #1 in the US on twitter’s Shorty Awards for #green content…two years running. >>> Get involved: > Subscribe to our free Best of the Week e-newsletter. > Follow us on Twitter. Fan us on Facebook. > Write: send article or query. > Advertise. > Pay for what you read, help indie journalism survive and thrive—and get your name/business/fave non-profit on every page of elephantjournal.com. Questions? Send to [email protected]