I wrote an article called Sexy & Symbolic Things to Do For Solstice awhile back—I thought I would write one for the upcoming Supermoon as well.
There was a New Moon on January 1st of this year and there is going to be another one on January 30th. It will be a Supermoon—as well as a Black Moon, if you like to flirt with Wiccan beliefs.
“The moon does not fight. It attacks no one. It does not worry. It does not try to crush others. It keeps to its course, but by its very nature, it gently influences. What other body could pull an entire ocean from shore to shore? The moon is faithful to its nature and its power is never diminished.”
~ Deng Ming-Dao, Everyday Tao: Living with Balance and Harmony
A Supermoon is a moon that has traveled 90% or more of the distance to Earth within its orbit. So, the moon is going to look bigger on January 30, but it will be new. On January 30th, the moon will be a tiny crescent. And on January 31st, you might not even see the moon.
The Black Moon (2nd Supermoon) has a lot of mysterious and symbolic meanings; the ocean tides will rise, and if you happen to believe in magic, any spells you cast will be more powerful than they normally are.
But for those of us who aren’t super into magic, here are some super-dooper things to do for the Supermoon on January 30th:
1. Go skinny dipping in some hot springs. Do it alone or with your best friends or with your lover. Look up and gaze at the [lack of] moon.
2. Watch Harry Potter, or some other witchy movie. This is a magical night!
3. Get a bikini wax. We all need to start with a New Moon, if you know what I am saying.
4. Have a New Moon get-together…nude. I don’t know why I think that most of the things in this list should be done naked, but they just should.
5. Dress up like vampires and go to a nice steak dinner with your friend or lover.
6. Attempt to paint the new moon with India ink or watercolors.
7. Hike to the top of a lookout tower or some other high point and share tea. Or gin.
8. Hop on your bike and do victory laps around downtown whatever-town-you-live-in. Naked.
9. Make some special resolutions for the month…the New Moon is a great time for fresh starts–and rededication to New Year’s resolutions you’ve already messed up. If you have meditation practices you like to do, rededicate yourself to them.
10. Buy some new underwear/bras. Fresh starts. Oh, and restock your tea cupboard, too.
11. Invite your best friends over for a Cornish game hen dinner. Or cut up tofu in the shape of crescent moons, if you’re vegan. Whatever makes your culinary boat float.
12. Fast. Start new nutritionally with the intention of eating better, exercising more, and having a positive outlook on life!
13. Light candles, buy some calendula oil and an Enya album, and treat your lover to a massage. Switch after half an hour.
14. Cut a skylight in your living room so you can look at the sky more often. Just kidding…kind of. It might be nice to peer out at the sky with a telescope, though!
15. Adopt a new pet from your local shelter. Everyone deserves the opportunity for a fresh start.
16. Do a moonlight flow yoga class by yourself or with your friends. Treat yourselves to some nice drinks afterward.
17. Write a poem or a journal entry about how you are feeling. Many of us might feel anxious, excited, or horny during this time! Let it out and acknowledge how you feel.
18. If you have kids, make a pillow/blanket fort and bake chocolate chip cookies together. Tell stories in your fort with your cookies. I don’t have kids, but when I do have kids, I am going to do this with them all the time.
19. Donate all your unwanted clothes and household items to a charitable thrift shop. Clean, new starts are good for you and your unwanted things.
20. Last, but certainly not least, have some amazing sex. Everyone deserves it.
Stay true to yourself, have fun, and take note of the way you feel on January 30th. It’s a great opportunity for self-reflection and deep introspection! You are super!
Love elephant and want to go steady?
Editor: Bryonie Wise
Photo: Wikimedia Commons user Arches National Park