This past year, I celebrated my 30th birthday and it was quite possibly one of the best birthdays I’ve ever had.
Yes, my family and friends went above and beyond to make sure that the day was amazing, but the biggest shift for me was that I was able to enjoy every moment of the big day free of expectations and disappointment, something that didn’t come so easy in years past.
I remember previous birthdays when I would be upset over the fact that certain people wouldn’t call or make it, or that I didn’t get a birthday cake (world crisis, right?). Things that would have normally upset me just passed me by this year and instead my birthday was a day of immense appreciation for all that I had before me—not what I didn’t.
I’m definitely in a more positive, self-aware space these days because of the many things I have learned along the way. It’s why I was able to fully experience each moment to its fullest and feel the love from each and every person that was able to spend their time with me. Even though some people weren’t able to make it, I didn’t feel deprived or unworthy.
I think every birthday (and really, every day) should be spent this way. Appreciate the positive things that happen in your life to their fullest, and what you have will always be enough. The experiences I’ve lived through, the numerous heartbreaks, the years of self-confidence issues, the anxiety, and even depression forced me to finally take control of my own happiness and I learned some pretty amazing things along the way that I know will ensure a lifetime of fulfillment no matter what:
2. You and only you have the power to make yourself 100% happy.
If you keep looking to external sources (people or things) for this, you will never feel satisfied or content.
3. “Start before you’re ready.” ~ Marie Forleo.
We always second guess ourselves and come up with excuses as to why we can’t move forward and do things. There will always be an excuse if we always make excuses, so just take the leap!
4. “Food is thy medicine.” ~ Hippocrates.
Eat lots of fresh, plant-based foods and take care of your body; it’s your permanent home.
5. Never let anyone tell you that your dreams are too big. If you want it, you can achieve it.
6. Just because you’ve known someone for years and years, doesn’t mean you have to keep them in your life.
People change and sometimes they are only supposed to be in our lives for a certain amount of time. So don’t be scared to evolve your circle in order to keep only the most positive people in it.
7. Never settle.
8. Stay active and find ways to make it fun!
9. Don’t expect people to be like you or always understand you.
We are all unique and have our own ways of expressing ourselves and showing love and appreciation.
10. Eat slower and without distraction.
I still have to work on this one time to time.
11. Stay true to who you are.
12. Try new things, especially things that scare you a bit.
Because those are the things that will make you grow the most.
13. Always be open to looking deeper into yourself.
There is always more to discover and improve upon.
14. “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” ~ Bernard M. Baruch
15. Be your best supporter.
16. Don’t strive for perfection.
Strive to be the best version of you.
17. Don’t create a life of deprivation, but rather of discipline, motivation, freedom and occasional indulgence.
18. Phrase your words in positive ways, even if you feel negative about the situation.
You’ll be surprised at how much better you start to feel about them.
19. You can manifest your biggest desires.
The universe can hear you, so think positively, visualize what you want, and most importantly, take action.
20. Do what you love…every day.
This can apply to pretty much every situation you are in. No matter what happens, you have a decision as to how you respond to it and therefore, how it affects you and those around you.
22. Make time just for you.
23. Eat organic and local foods, when you can.
Yes, it might be a little more expensive, but you’re investing in your health and it will lead to a lot less money spent on medical bills in the future.
24. Take ownership and responsibility.
Never be too proud to realize your role in situations.
25. Reaching out for help isn’t a sign of weakness.
It takes incredible courage and strength.
26. If you express gratitude and appreciation for everything in your life, then what you have will always be enough.
27. “If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you.” ~ Fred Devito
28. You can be sexy, feminine and strong all at the same time.
29. Don’t over-think and over-analyze…focus more on just doing.
30. You define what it means to be you.
31. And one for good luck…
Don’t strive for “perfect.” Strive for being the best version of you every day!
Love elephant and want to go steady?
Editorial Assistant: Andrea Charpentier/Editor: Jenna Penielle Lyons
Photos: Elephant Journal Archives
hot on elephant
My favorite “mindful” eco last-minute Valentine’s Day gifts for lazy lovers. 0 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 2,115 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 4,472 shares How Each Zodiac Sign Prefers to Celebrate Valentine’s Day. 10 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 5,408 shares The 4 Requirements for a Twin Flame Relationship to Work. 1,136 share What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 224 shares The Most Powerful Performance at the Grammys was (Surprisingly) Not Beyonce’s. 1,398 share Jyotish Sidereal Horoscopes for Saturn in Sagittarius 2017. 3 shares Separated by Time: The Longing of Souls in Love. 4 shares