A Poem for my Right-Brained Girl, Living in a Left-Brained World.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 10
Hearts 1.0
Comments 2.7
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
6 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
166.7k

Nicole Cannon photo 2

What is the matter, you ask?

The matter is they want to drug my child.
My beautifully artistic, full of wonder child.
The want her to fit into the societal box of linear thinking.
But I’m going to march right in there and tell them how I feel.
I’m going to tell them we keep throwing our children into the meat grinder of industry.
I’m going to tell them that our industry was forged on fear. Fear of our mortality.
I’m going to tell them that industry was sold to us as protection from Nature’s harsh elements.
I’m going to tell them the more removed we are from Nature the less connected we are to understanding the endlessness of our own souls.
I’m going to tell them that we are teaching our children that their only value is in productivity.
This assembly line of learning.

It says the only thing that matters is getting good grades.
It says the only thing that matters is getting into a good college.
It says the only thing that matters is getting a good job so you can buy a fancy car and a big house and beautiful clothes all to protect us from Nature’s harsh elements.
You’re telling my right brained, holistic thinking, made of stardust girl to believe in the endless sea of billboards setting on Sunset Boulevard.
You’re telling her to believe she’ll never be young enough, pretty enough, skinny enough, desirable enough unless she is able to afford the latest alluring fragrance, the current fashion trend, the perfect prevalent sheath that will protect her from the world’s harshest element—
Failure
See this Louis Vuitton handbag, it screams, “I am surviving! I am surviving more than you!”
But only if you produce.
So go ahead and make more.
Go ahead and consume more.
Go ahead and fill this emptiness where your soul connectedness once was with more stuff.
Go ahead and rape the Earth of Her resources.
Go ahead and destroy Her for all of your wantonness.
Go ahead and kill Her so you never have to remember that the greatest riches come from within.
You tell my darling, day dreaming, butterfly chasing, flower picking girl that the way her brain works is wrong.
You tell her she needs a pill to access her intelligence.
You tell her that she needs to get on board the conveyer belt of thinking in order to succeed in life.
You tell her to forget about all of the wonder and magic and awe she came into this world with.

But, what if you’re wrong.
What if the way her brain works is what the world needs.
What if her brain function is natures evolution of humanity.
What if she is able to see the bigger picture.
What if she is capable of finding radical solutions to difficult problems.
And then again, what if I’m just over identifying with her struggle and imposing my beliefs on her.
What if she needs medicine to help her get her flowers to the market.
What if she has great ideas but can’t get them on paper because she can’t access them.
What if not fitting in with her peers is slowly chipping away at her self esteem.
What if I’m wrong and I’m hurting my child by not giving her the tools she needs in order to succeed in life.

So you ask, what is the matter?
We matter.
We are all made of stardust.

Author: Nicole Cannon

Editor: Emily Bartran

Photo: Author’s Own

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 10
Hearts 1.0
Comments 2.7
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
6 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
166.7k

Read The Best Articles of January
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Nicole Cannon

Nicole Cannon is the mother of two wonderful girls, actress, writer, spiritual seeker, lover of nature, meditator and undercover yogi. Student of life, she has traveled to India and Tibet seeking to understand the infinite that lies within. She believes if we’re not growing we’re dying and the greatest gift in life is to turn one’s painful experiences into healing opportunities so that they may pave an evolutionary path to a higher consciousness.

Nicole is currently working on her second screenplay and developing the Web series “ADULTHOOD”. You can find her on FacebookInstagram and Twitter.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

anonymous Sep 14, 2015 11:36pm

My daughter was the same way and I thankfully trusted in her Spirit and let her be.
She is now 25 , successful, articulate, eloquent, talented, brilliant, kind and compassionate, happy, an artist, wise and a beautiful shining Light. I suggest that you look up Crystal Children and stay strong in knowing
that a beautiful child of Source does not need to be medicated to fit into a world that is evolving
into a new paradigm where such nonsense as medicating our children will thankfully be a
sad and barbaric way of the past. Introduce her to art, to yoga and meditation, to music, herbology, essential oils and flower essences, crystals and animals and help her to be able to spend a lot of time in nature, barefoot with her feet on
the ground, connected to Nature. Let her lead the way as her wisdom and Heart are so far beyond the
nonsense of this world. Let her sing her unique song and never doubt the truth of this beautiful creation of Source. Children learn in different ways. Find out what her unique style of learning is ( there are books on the different ways that children learn ) and then honor her in her particular style of learning.
Always be on her side and trust. My daughter did not read till she was 10 and then proceeded to devour
adult level books voraciously. Children's brains develop at different times. They are not to be fit and shoved into mechanical boxes and to be expected to all develop in the same way at the same time. Allow her to be the magnificent individual that she is . Blessings to you.

anonymous Sep 14, 2015 3:50pm

The world needs your beautiful daughter, and we need more thoughtful and creative moms like you who ask the power questions, see through the illusions, and work diligently to bring some semblance of peace and light into this world gone a bit mad. Stay the course, trust your strong mama intuition….and, don't let the bastards get you down! You're brilliant 🙂

anonymous Jul 30, 2015 2:17am

When your child wants to hurt themselves because they can’t concentrate long enough to do…. Well anything… And they say start losing friends because even other kids can’t deal with there crazy imaginationsnd scattered thoughts and they say to you they just wish there was just a magic pill that could help them…. The you know it’s too late, the damage is done. You needed to act sooner — because all the $thousands $ on tests and occupational therapy and behavior therapy and homeschooling and clean diets etc. Etc.— sometimes just aren’t enough. After exhausting all outlets including yourself and your sanity wondering if maybe you could have been better or more diligent at good prep or exercises etc. You have to give yourself a breakand just know that you did everything to you best ability, but the truth is…. They need the medicine.- then after they cry the very first time they take it— cry tears of joy and sadness– joy because they can’t believe how much better they feel and sadness because they say ,” you mean this is how everyone else feels all the time? And I could have felt this way my whole life if I had just taken the medicine sooner?”–/ then that is when you also cry– out of happiness that they are happy and from sadness questioning whether you should have given in sooner and just tried it.- but thought fresh air clean food , vitamins and exercise could be the answer to everything—well sometimes it’s just not. And you can’t beat yourself up. We are moms– we love them and do for them the best we can.

anonymous Jul 13, 2015 12:14am

Ah….. this is beautiful! I read each word with passion and understand completely. I am a right brained woman who was fortunate enough to have a family and community that supported a right brained little girl who tried to fit herself into a societal conformity out of fear of not being "good enough". I am fortunate enough to have trusted my heart and soul and allowed my right brained way of thinking (of being) to flourish. I am fortunate for seeing the stardust in myself and in everyone else… your daughter is lucky to have you, so trust your gut and let her shine as she is meant to without any conformities <3

anonymous Jul 12, 2015 6:39am

LOVE THIS! Apparently I was an ADHD child and the description of your daughter fit me exactly! I was a crazy little daydreamer full of imagination! My mother refused the doctors suggestion for pills and put me in every extracurricular activity possible, where I excelled! I was not an A student, but that did not matter! In my later years, as a senior in high school, I still struggled a lot in math, but I was always an ace in English…I finally got on some meds in order to make grades good enough to get into a college…sad, but they were a huge eye opener to understanding things…In college I decided to pursue a nursing degree, with tons of math, so my meds helped me a lot with that! I was able to take them as needed only, and always knew they changed my personality…so I only took them when I had to…and I’m SO happy I got to experience myself FULLY, without meds, for so long, that I knew who I was, and liked who I was, in order to make the decision myself to take them or not, when I needed to! It always saddened me to see people who had been on them their whole lives, altering their childhood, and personality, not letting them be in touch with their real selves…but that’s just my experience and opinion! ☺️

anonymous Jul 11, 2015 7:17pm

From a daughter to a mother, Thank You!

anonymous Jul 11, 2015 2:54pm

I love this. I love this because I completely agree with you!

anonymous Jul 11, 2015 2:40am

I worry because my children have all inherited this beautiful mindset, but having grown up with this 'gift' and little understanding of it at the time, I also know the beauty and pitfalls of it. It makes you second guess yourself, it makes it difficult to find your niche. You may find it on the outskirts, with little income, but happiness. Which is fine until you have a reason/need to thrive financially, or in my case three little reasons. I worry everyday how I'll support them in a system I (and they) don't fit in. It makes you crave what that pill might be able to do to help you fit in and thrive, just so that you can make sure they can have some advantage in their corner.

anonymous Jul 10, 2015 10:25pm

Wow, such powerful writing! It made me feel so much emotion.

anonymous May 29, 2015 6:48am

In order to experience the holistic approach one must feel comfortable embracing the side that's dominant. I was a fish trying to climb the tree of society. Because I'm free to feel that part I can spend more time Learning how to adapt appropriately and not abandon my creativity. Often society shuns the right brain because stepping outside the box and comfort zone are uncomfortable. I know because being too sensitive and flighty in thoughts was frowned upon. I'm a recovering and accepting right brainer

anonymous May 22, 2015 3:11am

All these thoughts a feelings mirror my own.. and yet a desire burns within my son…to be one if them…one of any of them….

I wondered when offered the meds when he couldn't read or write at 10… what he would think when he was older… would he think I medicated him because I didn't like who he was… and yet every day at school his peers sneer abd jab…They show him …They show him their lack of imagination. .how small their world's are.. now small their minds are trained to be.

So on paper and in peers and people .. The right answer us. .. .

From me the mummy…Thank you fur the validation …The recognition of stardust…and that which is beautiful different or even a little out of our worlds. ..is exactly that star dust.

anonymous Apr 3, 2015 8:46am

I love this poem. What if. What if they’re wrong and I’m right. What if their system is corrupt and lazy and my child is just my child, not a sheet of paper to go through their printer to come out looking the way they plan? And to be removed if he can’t fit through the rollers and jams up their machine and he get pulled out and and smoothed out and put in again while the other kids keep moving through and popping out looking so good? What if he rips, he tears, or worse is torn on purpose or crumpled up and thrown away because he just can’t fit and is screwing up the machine?

What if? How dare they?

And what if I’m wrong, and he needs to be straightened out to get through the machine, and if I don’t let that happen, he will be a crumpled paper that I love until I die and then what? Then what?

Nicole, you wrote a poem that says everything I think every night before falling asleep because I know how to fight, and I know how to fight against things I think are wrong and win. I can win. But what if I’m wrong?

Thanks. As you can see, you’re inspiring to me. Love your poem. Love it.

anonymous Mar 2, 2015 6:47pm

This is me. This is my beautiful daughter, who has cerebral palsy, autism, epilepsy, and developmental delays. She is stardust and sunshine and I love her so.

Thank you for sharing this.

anonymous Feb 26, 2015 5:00am

Heartbreaking poem.

It took me 26 years to finally find by myself what they call ADD. If we knew it earlier, I wouldnt have take pills for this since my grades were not that bad. But I wish someone would have told me that yes, my brain doesnt work as what society said is normal, that I was not stupid.

Many genius, inventor & creator are found to have ADD. It’s not a disease, it’s only a left handed person in a right handed world…

Keep close to your beautiful darling. She have everything she needs within herself. If she needs pills, you’ll know it. Trust your instincts, its not their child, it’s yours. 🙂

anonymous Feb 25, 2015 6:21am

Can we please stop this left brain/right brain nonsense? You need both halves to be holistic.

anonymous Feb 25, 2015 5:30am

As someone just like your daughter, I want to say thank you for being brave enough to think she's beautiful just as she was made. I wondered every day why who I was wasn't what my teachers or parents liked, why they liked me better on drugs when my wonder and imagination were taken away from me. Now, as an adult, working on international education and its relationship with children's identity and sustainable communities, I remember the little girl that I was and I love her, in all her rambling stories and made up songs and garden games and homes for my pet. I love her just as she was born, but also know that while drugs didn't make me more me, they did help me survive through the rigid system. And I wish that I was asked what I wanted around these questions. As I got older and began to decide, I chose me, only I still take a non-stimulant, but other than that work hard. Include her, don't protect her, and let her consider the uneasy questions with you. That will make her see that no matter what she takes or doesn't take, the world is wrong, she isn't.

anonymous Feb 24, 2015 11:22pm

Is this pill to “fix” her ADHD? If not, ignore me. If so, she will have those insecurities, until way past adulthood. I know, because I always felt different as a child. My mother said I was smarter (which I was) but I knew I thought differently. I was never prescribed medication, nor was I ever diagnosed. Doctors said I was sensitive and then depressed. ADHD never came up. I’m not saying to jump to medication, but please look into the signs for girls. I wish someone did that for me and told me that I wasn’t alone and wasn’t completely abnormal.

anonymous Feb 24, 2015 11:12pm

I feel this very strong. As I was a child put on drugs to “fix” my mind. It destroyed a piece of me that only in the last 5 years, have I began to regain. It was my mother’s decision, solidified by the illusion of structure and necessity for obedience. Thank you for sharing.

anonymous Feb 24, 2015 11:01pm

You hit such a nerve with this, I'm struggling with my sons ADD diagnosis and the best path for him. I see such thoughtfulness and creativity in so many things he does, and I hate the idea of medication stifling that. It's not as easy as homeschooling or changing schools, but as parents we have to dig in and explore every option for our child, make a choice and just trust our instincts.

anonymous Feb 24, 2015 10:52pm

this is so eloquent and perfect! you are a great mom and human being! i hear your doubts towards the end, but man, you know to go with your gut. the world is a better place because children like yours have mothers like you.

anonymous Feb 24, 2015 10:48pm

omg. this poem is so powerful and came at the exact time i am experiencing the same. wow. great job. i feel the same and yet wonder about the getting the flowers to market and the self esteem…

anonymous Feb 24, 2015 8:27pm

So beautifully written. I feel the power of a strong mama coming through your writing, tempered by the very fears you feel devastatingly deep in your hear. Thank you for writing this. My son is similar in nature, struggling at school and I share the same conflicted thoughts, I just don't write them as eloquently as you.

anonymous Feb 24, 2015 7:22pm