Ayurveda’s Perspective on Paleo.

get elephant's newsletter

Google Images for Reuse

Walk the Talk Show with Waylon Lewis Presents…

Waylon Lewis and John Douillard, “Mr. Ayurveda,” discuss the pros and cons of the Paleo diet. Is there wisdom in this fad?

~

Relephant:

The 3-Season Diet: How & Why to Eat Ayurvedically.

3 Things to do to Stay Healthy this Winter.

~

We got your social mediums right heah:

Get our best, new conversations through our Walk the Talk Show newsletter.

On Facebook? “Like” Walk the Talk Show.

Listen: Walk your Talk on your commute or over dishes with Soundcloud.

Subscribe directly to our award-winning Youtube Channel.

Editor: Rachel Nussbaum

Photos: Google Images for Reuse

Elephant:Now
is a new feature on Elephant Journal—enabling you to instantly share your mindful ideas, photos, art, YouTube videos/Instagram links & writings with our 5 million readers. Try it Now.

Write Now

About Walk The Talk Show

Walk the Talk Show with Waylon Lewis is fun, yet fundamentally serious. We aim to be “The Daily Show of mindfulness,” spreading the good news beyond the choir to those who weren’t sure they gave a care. Our videos are featured on more than 20 sites, including elephantjournal.com. Fan us on facebook too.

Comments

8 Responses to “Ayurveda’s Perspective on Paleo.”

1. Paul Nielsen says:

On your comments: "it's hard to dispute the logic that a diet of animal fat and protein caused human brains to increase three times in size". Really? primary predators, eg. lions, tigers etc. – those guy eat a heck of a lot of animal fats, right? How many sizes have their brains increased over the last two million years? And, if all those men were such "lousy hunters", how were they able to keep our species eating all this animal fat and protein in order to grow these enormous brains of ours? And, if only the men were eating the animal fats and proteins, what caused the women's brains to grow equally large???
    I am very much in favor of reintroducing the feminine archetype into our male-logic-based, male-ruined, western culture. However, it sounds to me as though you are in desperate need of adding a certain variety of mushrooms to your diet and reading some Terence Mckenna as soon as possible.

2. Danielle says:

Awesome interview Waylon!

3. David says:

I'm sorry but the whole paleo diet thing is so full of crap I'm constantly amazed anybody believes it. Different cultures evolved eating whatever was most plentiful for them but apart from a very few cases (e.g. Inuit peoples with fish) the archaeological evidence shows that most humans ate plenty of foraged food too. It's not like man went out and successfully hunted, killed and ate nothing but wild animals. Not to mention any meat they did eat wasn't specifically bred for food and pumped full of antibiotics and other medication. The simple truth is that different diets suit different people and whilst paleo will be fine for some people it will be unhealthy for others.

4. Amanda R says:

Seems that people have a misconception of paleo. Although meat/protein is important, vegetables (fiber!) are incredibly important, and root veggies are often consumed. And most paleo folks do, in fact, try to eat locally and seasonally whenever possible. However, if people can't afford to do that, or it isn't available, shouldn't we be applauding their efforts to stay away from package items and stick with clean, nutrient dense food?

5. John Smith says:

That is the only flavor of Larabar I like (and I love that chocolate too). Every time I think I "should" go paleo, i see your meals and realize I could not eat that much meat. I think I've got a good balance going right now so I need to just ignore the "shoulds" anyways. http://www.lgnetworksinc.com

6. steph p says:

Awesome interview. I tried the paleo diet a while ago but have sadly slipped back into my old ways….It does take a little bit more will power than i imagined at times!

7. Nicole says:

I agree with amanda, there is a huge misconception of what “paleo” really is. a lot of people think it’s a whole lot of meat with some veggies. but it (“ancestral eating”) is a very diverse type of diet, root/tubers and other starches (plantains/bananas/squash) are very important in an ancestral diet. any paleo literature you read, there is nothing said about cutting out carbs/starches. they focus a lot on fermented foods, tons of good quality, clean, in season fruits/veggies (including starchy veggies) as well as an assortment of different meats, namely, fish, bone broth, organ meat, even good quality dairy for some people. what part of that does not sound healthy?

8. vivienne clifton says:

I am an Ayurvedic consultant and the way that I help people and the way that I have been taught always is that the Ayurveda view is that nothing is good or bad all of the time. So diet and elimination of certain food groups does not fit in with the Ayurvedic way of living. I have a client who has been vegetarian for 10 years and is willing to eat a little meat for just a while to regain his health. I have another client who I have asked to go vegan for a few weeks, this will help her. But these are temporary. Elimination diets are very very dangerous indeed if not treated as temporary things. Nothing is permanent.