I Drank Warm Honey Lemon Water Every Morning for a Year (Here’s What I Learned).

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 5.5
Hearts 1.0
Comments 1.0
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
39 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
198
3.5M

I drank warm honey lemon water everyday for a year and saw mega change in my body.

Here’s what I learned, plus my honey lemon water recipe and the health benefits of drinking it.

Until a few years ago, honey and lemon drinks were something I bought in a packet from the chemist when in the death-throes of a full blown flu.

~
C | B | D full-spectrum CBD powder is for busy professionals, working mums, athletes, hard-hustling millennials…anyone who needs to CREATE, BUILD, & DREAM.
~

Naturally, those little packets didn’t help much, so I was skeptical when I started this whole crazy challenge.

Of course, drinking real lemon juice and proper honey in warm water is a totally different experience, and with all the hype around it I embarked on a 12 month quest to see if it really was as miraculous as the trend says.

See also: The 2 Week Lemon Water Challenge.

I am pleased to report I am thoroughly converted, and here is why.

1. I have not had a cold, flu or gastro illness in the entire year.

Literally. On reflection, this actually blows my mind. All of my life I’ve been a serial tonsillitis-getter, and always seemed to pick up whatever was going around. With a large family, including lots of little ones, there is always someone around who has the latest bug. I am happy to report I no longer catch them, even when it rips through the rest of the gang.

Confession: there were days I skipped totally, and though I have felt very early signs of sickness sometimes (too many sneezes in a day, run down, extra tired, suspicious tummy rumblings) nothing at all has materialized. Sure I’ve had tired days and a few headaches, but nothing to write home about.

As soon as I got back on the regime these stopped happening, and I now absolutely swear by honey/lemon—to the point I‘ve become prematurely old-aged and carry them both in my bag when I stay at friend’s places or hotels. (Should I be worried I’m also proud of this?)

2. I no longer need coffee and have become a (gasp!) morning person.

The zing I get from lemon and honey first thing in the morning has become something I crave, and doesn’t leave me with headaches or the dreaded caffeine comedown. I also have more energy for longer and am quicker to smile in the a.m.

It used to take me at least an hour to open my second eye and stop grunting at people like a cavewoman, but I’m now annoying the people that love me in new and wonderful ways like throwing deep philosophical questions at them as I bound into the kitchen. I’ll need to find a new challenge soon though if I am to keep them on their toes.

3. The people around me are becoming more healthy—the biggest reward.

~
Hack your body’s energy cycles with C | B | D by Elixinol: for more get-up-and-go when you need it and dreamier sleep when you need it, too.
~

So this has taken the longest: to convince my family that honey and lemon can help them prevent some of their man-flu incidents.

But after playing nurse and administering my magic potion to them when they are at their most desperate, they can finally see its benefits. “Whoa! That helped straight away!” never gets old and reminds me to keep going every morning so I don’t suffer the indignities of needing to be three feet from a toilet at all times, or running through a box of tissues an hour.

It’s such a lovely feeling to know that I can help my loved ones feel more well through something so simple and available. I have become some kind of one-trick uber-nurse, and that’s awesome.

My Recipe:

I generally use the juice of half a fresh lemon, and a decent teaspoon of organic, raw unheated honey in a standard mug with freshly boiled water that has cooled a little (but still hot enough to melt the honey). I then add a splash of cold so I can drink immediately in one go to rehydrate me as soon as I wake.

BONUS TIPS: It does depend on the lemon and the honey, some lemons are juicier or more sour and some honeys more sweet, so experimenting is important! Also half a lemon may be too intense to start, my family uses a quarter. Proper honey and healthily grown lemons are the key. As well as a big handbag to carry them everywhere.

3 Health Benefits to Drinking Warm Honey Lemon Water in the Morning

Why does it work? Well, according to websites thehealthsite.com and Underground Health, there are at least nine major benefits to drinking warm honey lemon water every morning. But I’ll list my favorites here:

Keeps you regular and protects from UTIs

Because this mixture when taken first thing in the morning stimulates the digestive system, as well as hydrating the colon and more, honey lemon water keeps constipation at bay. It also acts as a diuretic, cleansing the urinary tract and ensuring no urinary tract infections. I can certainly verify this one!

Improves digestion

Every part of this drink aids in the digestive process; lemons assist your liver in producing more bile so you can break down complex foods better and use the good stuff from your meals. Honey is antibacterial which protects you from any infections you might have. It also helps with the production of mucus in the stomach, helping to flush out toxins. For this reason, it also assists with healthy weight balance.

Makes you glow with health and beauty

Lemon has many benefits for skin, but it also helps purify the blood as well as aiding in the production of new blood cells that act as cleaning agents. The water and honey create a restorative, antibacterial and collagen boosting powerhouse for your skin too.

So there you have it, my verdict is overwhelming positive and I highly, thoroughly recommend it. Plus it’s freakin’ delicious.

Disclaimer: I have become incredibly fussy about which honey and which lemons I use, and can see that makes all the difference. I am blessed to live in the pristine Tasmania, Australia where I source raw, unheated honey and organic lemons from the trees of my neighbors. When I am desperate and resort to supermarket lemons and honey, the result is not the same (it just tastes like fake sugary lemony yumminess).

Get Our Podcast:

~

author: Crystal Davis

Image: Matheus Ferrero/Unsplash

Editor: Travis May

Bonus: the right kind of honey.

5 Mindful Things to do first thing in the Morning.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 5.5
Hearts 1.0
Comments 1.0
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
39 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
198
3.5M

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

anonymous Apr 7, 2016 7:26pm

Just because someone (the dentist) says something, doesn’t mean it’s true. Almost like how they also say oil pulling is bad for your teeth.. No, it’s bad for their business

anonymous Apr 7, 2016 6:44am

I have heard a lot about lemon honey water I have a lot of trouble with my bowls will this help

anonymous Mar 30, 2016 10:48pm

Hi.. i take my thyroid medication first thing in the morning. so il have to drink a whole glass of water with it and have to wait for atleast half an hour to drink or eat anything. is it ok to drink honey lime after that or can it be taken with the thyroid medication?

anonymous Mar 30, 2016 7:34am

I just want to try to lose weight.wil it help?

anonymous Mar 28, 2016 12:33pm

I am also curious as to how it affected your teeth. Did you use a straw? Did you wait 30 minutes before brushing your teeth? Prolonged exposure of Citric acid can be extremely damaging to the tooth enamel.

anonymous Feb 9, 2016 1:17pm

Doesn't this ruin your teeth? My dentist told me not to drink hot water with lemon!!

anonymous Jan 20, 2016 11:23pm

Yesterday morning, I decided to try this out instead of my usual cup of coffee. I was having minor reflux issues afterwards, which burned my throat for the second half of the day. 15 hours later, I’m laying here with my first sore throat in about a year. I’ll stick with the coffee for now, thanks!

anonymous Jan 12, 2016 7:39am

Water too hot kills the vitamin C from lemon, so I would first dissolve honey in warm water, then add colder water (so that it would be mildly warm) and only in the end lemon juice.

By the way, It is also posted on truth-code.com. You are credited, though, and the original post (this one) linked.

anonymous Jan 3, 2016 4:03pm

Hi.
I read your article elsewhere, so I decided to google your name. Did you know that your article is also posted here: http://diyzone.tips/i-drank-warm-honey-lemon-wate

Good article, I enjoyed reading it.

anonymous Nov 11, 2015 9:34am

It is alright to squeeze the lemons before time and put the juice the refrigerator?

anonymous Oct 16, 2015 6:19am

If you add lemon and honey More cinnamon and ginger, then the value of this drink will increase many times! (sorry for my English)

anonymous Sep 17, 2015 9:50am

Would this be as effective if I substituted the lemon with lime??

Thx.

Kimberli

anonymous Sep 13, 2015 1:00pm

Just wondering, do you do this before breakfast or after? Do you even eat breakfast when you do this does food change what the lemon and honey water to to the body?

Thanks

Mary

anonymous Sep 2, 2015 7:05pm

I've been doing this for the last 4 months, as suggested by my grandma. Before this, i was catching every sickness going around and constantly being sick every week! I'm proud to say I do this every morning when i wake up and haven't had flu like symptoms since! I've the early symptoms but they usually go away quickly! I convince everyone around me to do it too, i've had them get to me telling me how much it works! i can't stress enough how amazing this natural remedy is!

anonymous Sep 1, 2015 3:52pm

this is not great for people with reflex problems as it burns and upsets your tummy

anonymous Aug 18, 2015 12:44pm

I have been hearing different versions of this hot honey lemon water. I started with the same. Then someone said if it’s not pure honey it may cause acidity and tummy trouble. So I stopped adding honey. And just today my nutritionist said lemon does nothing, have plain warm water!

I have arthritis. Can just lemon water aggravate it? What if I can’t find pure honey?

Thanks 🙂

anonymous Jul 22, 2015 7:46am

Are the positive effects a result of the virtues of lemon and honey or of a very positive placebo effect?

anonymous Jul 16, 2015 4:18pm

I do this every morning too – i have 2 glasses of warm lemon juice. Results are amazing. Skin better feel better and have not being sick for the past year. I go for a run every morning and come back and make this drink.

anonymous Jul 16, 2015 8:57am

I am allergic to honey. Are there still benefits of just the lemon water or an alternative to honey?

anonymous Jun 28, 2015 2:26am

Hi everyone,

silly question but do you follow any rules with regards to what you intake after the lemon water? I've been doing this a long time but I've never been clear how long to leave it before I drink any more water or eat any food – currently I leave it at least 30mins but I'd like to get water in quicker if I could, I just don't want to take away from the benefits of the lemon water!

anonymous Jun 26, 2015 3:19am

More than 1 lemon per week destroys your enamel.

anonymous Jun 9, 2015 11:30am

There is a profoundly offensive ad popping up on your depicting oral sex! Hello? Are you aware of this? The title of the pop up link says something about "the Cure for Foreplay." I want to vomit. Do something about it.

anonymous Jun 9, 2015 1:19pm

Hi, we're sorry about that. A few others have brought it to our attention and we're trying to not have it come up anymore. We're definitely working on it. We apologize.

anonymous Jun 8, 2015 6:24pm

how many glass water good for health

anonymous May 16, 2015 7:17am

After having 2 heart value surgeries and a lung surgeries, I have been suffering with fluid retention. My kidney specialist has cut me down to 800cc of fluid/daily. I'm
tired of being miserable and full of fluid. He puts me on strong diuretics and then that washes all the sodium and potassium out of my body. Then he prescribes costly
meds to raise sodium levels and takes me off the diuretics, then we start all over…vicious cycle. So I searched the internet and saw the top 10 natural diuretics, warm
lemon water was on just about every list. Do you or any others know the effect of lemon/honey drink on sodium or potassium levels. FYI. I spent 61days in the
hospital trying to get fluid off my body in 2014.. After doctors trying everything, they put me in ICU and took off 30 lbs of fluid in 24 hr with a dialysis machine. Risky, I
don't want to there again. Hospitalized at 200lbs, left hospital at 150, and have managed to maintain a weight of 130. About a month ago, things started going south, and I
am gaining fluid again. Scared of being back in the hospital! Looking for a natural way to stay healthy.

anonymous Apr 27, 2015 11:42am

If the “right kind of lemons & honey” are required to get the real benefits, or otherwise it’s only like sugary lemonade, then how exactly did the author find this to be of such great benefit, before she got more picky about the ingredients. It sounds contradictory, no?

I tried this regimen, daily, for at least a couple months, organic honey, at least half a lemon, and honestly didn’t feel any benefits whatsoever. Now, maybe, as with some other holistic remedies I’ve tried, if you are already healthy, and holistic (not had a cold or flu for so many years, I can’t remember), you just don’t feel dramatic effects, so that could be why…

But I do wonder how all the great effects she speaks of, were felt, if not using the pickier ingredients she now uses, and says are required…

anonymous Apr 23, 2015 5:12am

What do you mean by unheated honey? I buy unpaterized local organic honey. Do you mean unheated during the process or whe you are making the drink. Is there honey In stores “unheated honey”

Can’t wait to start this!
Mallory

anonymous Apr 21, 2015 12:03pm

Teeth. What about teeth?

anonymous Apr 21, 2015 7:23am

I have to take synthroid first thing in the morning with water, a half hour to an hour before anything else. How would this affect it?

anonymous Apr 20, 2015 10:11am

have you ever tried it using a high grade essential oil for the lemon? doTerra has a lemon oil that is safe to ingest and i use in water throughout the day – just a few drops does the trick and has the concentrated benefits of a whole lemon or more.

anonymous Apr 20, 2015 6:50am

What about poor ole me allergic to honey?

anonymous Apr 14, 2015 11:29am

Adding turmeric or ginger root to this mixture is fantastic for colds and coughs. I am not suggesting doing this everyday though! Not sure what it will do to the immune system.
– Ayurvedic fan

anonymous Apr 13, 2015 10:07pm

Don’t overly complicate the situation here. Get some lemon concentrate and squeeze tube honey (any sort). Big glass, put a squirt of lemon in, a squirt of honey in, add cold water, then add some hot water to balance the temp and you’re done. The rest is fluff. Keep it simple, even without the expensive ‘non sweetened’ this or ‘organic’ that ingredients, you’ll already be doing 90% better than having not implemented this at all. Piece

anonymous Apr 12, 2015 6:14am

Hi, I'm also in tassie, just wondering where you source your honey from?

anonymous Apr 11, 2015 3:03pm

I have been drinking luke warm lemon water for years. It is an amazing detox/tonic for the liver. I take it an hour before I have my breakfast. Regarding essential oils, you will most likely loose some of the benefit but it is a great alternative if you have no lemons around. Essential oils can be ingested if they are therapeutic grade and made to be ingested. One brand that I know of is Young Living Oils. Not all the oils can be ingested but the ones that you find typically in food are made for that purpose. You can find out on the website which ones may and which ones should never be ingested. At any rate, essential oils are often used in creams and such and should be only of therapeutic grade as the skin is the largest organ in the body and is essentially ingesting the oils when rubbed on the skin.

anonymous Apr 8, 2015 6:07am

Thanks for all the info I love it ! More power

anonymous Apr 7, 2015 2:21pm

i have been researching this a bit and wondered how soon after you drank the lemon water did you eat food? thanks!

anonymous Apr 6, 2015 6:28am

Hi! So what is the recipe that was used to create the water?

anonymous Apr 6, 2015 5:34am

Try drinking this with a straw to bypass acid on your teeth.

anonymous Mar 31, 2015 7:50am

Could the lemon and honey be added to warm tea? Or is there something about it just being only lemon and honey? Does it have to be in the morning or any time of the day? I'm afraid the lemon would be to harsh on my stomach first thing in the morning.

anonymous Mar 23, 2015 10:16pm

I read your article a few months ago and started this as soon as my boyfriend said he felt a cold coming on. I successfully bypassed the cold for over a week and only really had stuffy sinuses but was fine enough. I actually also add a tea-tablespoon of raw Apple Cider Vinegar. gives it even more of that zesty hum (work up to a tablespoon, trust me!) but I feel like super woman. thanks for sharing. TRY THE ACV!!!! sending love from Adelaide 🙂

anonymous Mar 25, 2015 5:44am

Hooray Mel! Gllad to hear it helped you avoid the worst of it. ACV is the bomb! Totally onto that now, haven't tried adding it to my honey lemon water yet (which I love so much I will have trouble changing) but I know it can be so beneficial and it would combine the three awesome ingredients in one go! I will try it in the morning. Thanks so much for reading and connecting with me and my work! X

anonymous Mar 20, 2015 8:08pm

I work in a hospital ER, I'm constantly around sick people. I started drinking this last August and had my best winter yet. I did not catch any colds going around the office. there was a huge flu outbreak the worst of it from October through November. I did get the flu the end of December but have not been sick otherwise. I truly believe it's the honey lemon water should I drink everyday.

anonymous Mar 25, 2015 5:42am

Wow it must be super important to keep on top of nutrition when you work in an ER! It works so very well it still amazes me. Great to hear it protects you so that you can safely take care of others in need. Lovely! Thanks for reading my work 🙂

anonymous Mar 10, 2015 9:44am

Thanks.
I just started drinking tea every day even to replace water.
I will try your recipe when I ran out of tea bags! lol

anonymous Mar 9, 2015 9:35am

one more ingredient worthy to be part of the mix:

ground cinnamon

uff, now we're having it :o)

anonymous Mar 9, 2015 7:42am

Oh yes: preferably drink it without heating it, as the vital components, like enzymes in the honey, are definitely making this mix a very powerful one, which would be diminished if exposed to heat.

anonymous Mar 9, 2015 7:39am

I'm used to prepare in advance a concentrated elixir of:

2 lemons or limes – zest and juice – for the lemon zest, you may insist a bit further than just the coloured part, and go a bit into the white part, just slightly. It makes it bitter, but it is said to contain some very healing elements
2 or more thumb sized fresh ginger root
2-4 tbs honey

find the right proportions for you, you may prefer more or less ginger, lemon components or honey, though honey helps preserve the mix

mix it and put aside in the fridge in a well closed glass jar

Whenever a cold or a difficult digestion are showing up, take a wee bit of it as is, maybe one teaspoon full or or more or less at a time, again according to how you are feeling.

Or use this mix daily in water best in the morning before taking any food.

You may want to add to the mix some turmeric powder – I have no fresh turmeric root here, but if I would, I'd advise to use it fresh. Which can make it further a bit bitter, but which appears to be a fantastic ingredient for healing and preservation of health.

Blessings :o)

anonymous Mar 8, 2015 5:51pm

I drank warm water with the juice of half a lemon every morning and within two weeks I had no more cough and acid reflux or heartburn. The cough was actually acid reflux. It just disappeared. I will try it with honey too.

anonymous Mar 7, 2015 12:28pm

My girlfriend and I have been doing this now for about 2-3 weeks and really have noticed a difference. Totally for it! But, question… Someone I mentioned this to talked about how damaging it is to your teeth enamel due to all of the acid in the lemon. What are your thoughts on this? They said it wouldn't be noticeable for years, but in the long run, you're hurting your teeth… Still plan to drink the "life-give nectar", but want to know if you have any remedies for this factor.

anonymous Mar 7, 2015 8:19am

So many people don’t actually understand why honey is anti-bacterial. It’s not because it possesses anti-bacterial chemicals, but because of the concentration of sugar (to put it shortly). Cells cannot live in or on honey because they would be exposed to extreme osmotic pressures, and thus would lyse. By diluting the honey in water, you are actually removing this characteristic of honey. Honey has other natural benefits, but helping to prevent infections is definitely NOT one of them.

anonymous Mar 7, 2015 12:21am

Were these differences noticed with just one glass a day? or several?

anonymous Mar 7, 2015 3:19am

Hi Colleen! Just one, first hing in the morning 20-60mins before eating. I would only have more than one if I did get sick (I have given this to family members a few times a day when they've fallen ill and they have improved super fast). The sugar and acid content would not be a great idea several times a day over long periods though. Thanks so much for reading! Crystal 🙂

anonymous Mar 3, 2015 6:58pm

I have 100% bottled lemon juice. Can I use this instead of fresh lemon? Or should I say is this as effective as fresh lemon?

anonymous Mar 7, 2015 3:17am

Hi Gabe! Fresh is definitely best. As with anything, the sooner it is consumed from the moment it is picked (i.e. disconnected from the life source) the more beneficial properties it retains. However, I know that there are some parts of the world where fresh lemons aren't available at all! In that case, substituting for apple cider vinegar might be a better option than bottled lemon juice. Good luck! Crystal 🙂

anonymous Mar 3, 2015 2:59pm

What about your teeth? I love my lemon water, but my teeth get so sensitive and that acid does a number on your enamel. Have been thinking of buying some kind of stainless steel straw to drink it out of. Any suggestions? (P.S. Rebecca, it’s never recommended to ingest essential oils.)

anonymous Mar 7, 2015 3:15am

Hi Leigh! Yes, this can be an issue over time especially for sensitive teeth. In my free ebook above this is addressed, a stainless steel or bamboo straw is a great idea if it causes you discomfort as you drink and I've included some places to source these in the book. Swishing with water after is also great. Thanks for clearing up the essential oils question! Crystal 🙂

anonymous Jul 18, 2015 1:25pm

I use a glass straw. I purchased if from Glassdharma.com. I don't work for them I just love their glass straws. They do break if you're not careful. I highly recommend the straw cleaner they sell along with the straw.

anonymous Mar 3, 2015 6:04am

You are doing good except that honey is best taken with warm water, about 40 C, studies suggest that too high temperature is not good for honey!

anonymous Mar 7, 2015 1:57am

40C will cause severe burns to your mouth! Not a good idea at all

anonymous Mar 22, 2015 11:04pm

40°C will not burn your mouth. 37°C is normal body temperature, so 40°C is just fever-temperature!

anonymous Mar 22, 2015 11:13pm

40°C will not cause burns – It's only a little over the normal human body temperature of 37°C.

anonymous Mar 7, 2015 3:13am

Hi Ashish! Yes, once honey is above 40c it begins to lose some of its beneficial properties (this is explained in my ebook on my website above). It is important to let freshly boiled water cool before adding it and let the honey melt slowly in the warm water. Thanks for reading! Crystal 🙂

anonymous Mar 3, 2015 5:46am

Can you use lemon essential oils?

anonymous Mar 7, 2015 3:12am

Hi Rebbecca 🙂 Do you mean instead of fresh lemon? As with anything fresh is absolutely best, I also include the pulp in the drink and a fresh organic lemon has benefits that an essential oil doesn't. I am not sure how well it would work with only the essential oil instead, but if you try it please do let me know! Crystal x

anonymous May 16, 2015 10:27pm

Essential oils should not be used for this purpose. EO's are not meant to be ingested. Do some research on it.

anonymous Mar 2, 2015 7:21pm

Thanks, Here's my recipe, take any food product, preferably fresh, local and good quality, convince yourself that this consumable product is the key to your health, longevity and well being, and it actually works!
That's what being a locavore is all about, having very positive feelings about what you consume, little thought, not making a fuss, not worrying "is this good for me? Is this killing me softly?", "am I supposed to consume this or that?".
I am sure your choice is great and that it works, I just think that it's all about the relationship we develop with food (or drink in this case) and not what's actually in the ingredients. It's a part of what stress management is about. "This one is the one for me, it chimes like a bell", stress goes down, body focuses on the good stuff like repair, maintaining resilience.

anonymous Mar 2, 2015 7:19pm

There’s a product called Citrus Zinger which is a water bottle that comes with a built-in citrus press which makes it perfect for on-the-go – and it comes with a straw so you don’t have to worry about your teeth!

anonymous Mar 2, 2015 7:17pm

Thanks, Here’s my recipe, take any food product, preferably fresh, local and good quality, convince yourself that this consumable product is the key to your health, longevity and well being, and it actually works, that’s what being a locavore is all about, having very positive feelings about what you consume, little thought, not making a fuss, not worrying “is this good for me? Is this killing me softly?”, “am I supposed to consume this or that?”.

I am sure your choice is great and that it works, I just think that it’s all about the relationship we develop with food (or drink in this case) and not what’s actually in the ingredients. It’s a part of what stress management is about. “This one is the one for me, it chimes like a bell”, stress goes down, body focuses on the good stuff like repair, maintaining resilience.

anonymous Mar 2, 2015 12:29pm

Here is my own recipe for whatever it is worth. 1/2 cup warm water, pinch of Ceylon cinnamon, 1 tsp of raw honey ( I prefer the crystallized type ) and 1 capful of Bragg’s raw, organic apple cider vinegar. It is delicious. I, too, have not had a cold in the year that I have been drinking this every morning.

I have heard about the tooth problem and have decided to use a straw also.

The vinegar is much more convenient than lemon…..Ceylon cinnamon is less harmful to the liver and the crystallized honey is easier to measure. Good luck

anonymous Mar 2, 2015 2:22pm

Hi Cart! Great recipe! I looove the crystallized parts of honey so much. Apple cider vinegar is so great too, and a good substitute 🙂 Thanks for reading and sharing x

anonymous Mar 2, 2015 7:37am

I’ve been drinking the lemon, honey – but with unfiltered apple cider vinegar and organic Ceylon cinnamon with water. Not heated, just put into the blender first thing in the morning. No ill effects at all – seems to be lowering my b/p like I was told it should.

anonymous Mar 2, 2015 2:21pm

Hi Sandy! I love apple cider vinegar too and cinnamon is next on my list to add! They are all so amazing so I can see why you're improving! Thanks for connecting here x

anonymous Mar 1, 2015 7:25pm

This has done wonders for my seasonal allergies. I was told to brush with baking soda after to help with the acid.

anonymous Mar 2, 2015 2:20pm

That's so good to hear Patti, so many people have been telling me that it helps their allergies! I love that! The baking soda thing is ineresting, haven't heard that, but I'll look into it now that you have mentioned it! Using a straw or rinsing with water can help too. Thanks for connecting! 🙂

anonymous Mar 1, 2015 1:25pm

Hi, it sounds onderfull, but I have a question: I go to run all mornings, 1 hour at least, so when I return home I eat my breakfast and I contiunue with my day, my question is if you recomend drink this water before or after the morning trainning?

Thank you! 🙂

anonymous Mar 2, 2015 2:19pm

Hi Fernanda! It would be awesome either way, before it would wake you up ready for the run, and after it would replenish your sugars and help the toxin flush you've created through exercise. So either way it is beneficial! 🙂

anonymous Mar 1, 2015 9:07am

Hello Crystal Davis,

Thanks for sharing these findings and benefits of using honey with lemon. My mother uses this combo since years.

Just one question though, too much of lemon has a bad effect on bones? Would it shrink or increase the brittleness of the bones? Just curious about this thing !

anonymous Mar 2, 2015 2:17pm

Hi Naveen! Thanks for getting in touch 🙂 I know that lemon can have an effect on teeth enamel because when drinking it directly touches the teeth (if a straw isn't used or we don't rinse after) but since lemon is absorbed through the gut and sent through the bloodstream, in the amounts listed I would find it hard to imagine a negative effect on bones. However, this might be something to check out with a doctor or nutritionist if it is a concern for you or your Mum? Everything in moderation 🙂

anonymous Mar 1, 2015 12:44am

I like this article and really want to try it…but im allergic to lemons and all citrus. What can I do?

anonymous Feb 28, 2015 3:01am

To avoid heating the honey, I add the lemon and honey into my morning green smoothie, many wonderful benefits and no harm to my tooth enamel.

anonymous Feb 27, 2015 8:04am

How do I kick the coffee without the headaches???

anonymous Feb 27, 2015 3:44am

Hello Crystal can a person suffering with Gerd take this drink every morning? Thank you

anonymous Feb 27, 2015 4:49am

Hi Jose! While I have heard of Gerd I don't know very much about it and would hate to give you the wrong information! I know it is a reflux condition and honey and lemon both help with that, however I don't know if it is mediccally ok every day. Have you downloaded my free ebook on honey lemon? Though it doesn't discuss Gerd it does tlk about some other illnesses and that may help? Head to http://www.crystaldavis.com.au to get it. All the best!

anonymous Feb 26, 2015 6:12am

Hi,

I read that lemons and limes are some of the dirtiest fruits. The skin can have all kinds of bacteria/germs on them. Remember to wash them. I know your not using the skin but you are handling them and that's where you pick up the germs.

anonymous Feb 26, 2015 2:30pm

Hi Gina yes they can be grown very badly for the mass market, that's why it's vital to source oranically grown ones if at all possible. Or grow our own! I've included deeper info on the subject in my free ebook on my website http://www.crystaldavis.com.au if that is helpful to you at all – thanks for reading my article! Xx

anonymous Feb 25, 2015 8:40am

40 C / 104 F is the temperature that kills all the good in honey.
I leave a spoon of honey in a glass of calm water overnight and in the morning it is melted.

anonymous Feb 26, 2015 4:56am

Hi Michal! Thank you so much for that information, really helpful! I will try the water overnight thing too 🙂

anonymous Feb 25, 2015 7:25am

Thank you for such a great article and vid.
My first instinct was to think of buying some bees and to produce my own honey, which is not helpful to the bees at all. I am thankful the vid covered how I can help in the ‘right’ way without producing sick bees.

I drink warm water with lemon each morning before a coffee, however, I am houng to add some organic honey and go that angle. I am hoping to quot coffee altogether.

anonymous Feb 26, 2015 4:57am

Hi Linda! Thanks so much for reading and connecting here 🙂 The bees are so important! The video is a helpful addition which I am grateful for. I'd love to hear how you go with adding honey, as you can see I just love it! 🙂

anonymous Feb 24, 2015 3:36pm

I drank lemon water with a touch of vinegar because i read it was "healthy" and good for u on a post, just like this one. Well, the repercussion were unbelievable and am now trying to stop ppl from doing this unless it's been cleared by a doctor. For women with low blood pressure or anemia it is not beneficial. After 1 week my iron levels had plummeted and I collapsed after exercising out of the blue. I've never been to a hospital or had a single headache in my life. I am a fit and healthy eater and a true example of strength. The following 2 weeks, I suffered from "unexplained nausea, chronic fatigue, dizziness and prolonged migraines." All my blood tests were ok but felt sick, and i was still drinking the lemon water. Then, I realized that the only thing I'd changed in my regime was the lemon water and decided to stop it to see if it made a difference. Lo and behold. I was back to normal within 1 day and want to ask that u stop writing abt such "fixes" because it can be super harmful to one's health. I felt like I was dying that day and cuold've been more serious if someone hadn't been there with me to catch me.

anonymous Feb 24, 2015 8:09pm

So, would this have happened if you had drank lemonade and had a salad with oil & vinegar dressing for lunch everyday? What about the lemon water with a touch of vinegar caused this reaction in you? It sounds crazy.

anonymous Feb 25, 2015 12:13am

That's the same question i asked. Because there is no study made about what lemon and vinegar drinking can have on the body, nothing is conclusive. However, I imagine that when having lemon or vinegar in combination with food, it may have a different effect and be digested differently. Also, not sure if it was the lemon ingredient or the vinegar part that caused the imbalance, but it is not crazy that the ph of the vinegar and lemon are sure to have a detrimental effect on the blood cell count. I had been taking the water for 1 week only and it brought on this weakness in me, so it doesn't take much.

anonymous Feb 25, 2015 5:11am

Hi Liablanco, thanks for connecting! That sounds so awful! I have never heard of this happening with lemon and honey water, and I have not tried lemon with vinegar at all. What type of lemons were you using (i.e. were they organic?) And was it apple cider vinegar or another type? I am not a doctor or nutritionist but I think I would struggle to have both lemon and vinegar together. I have not had any of the symptoms you have described or heard of anyone else who has (and I come from a low-iron family). I am so glad you felt better after stopping – and of course not everything will be right for every person on earth. Good luck with your health journey and thank you for connecting with me!
    Crystal 🙂

anonymous Feb 23, 2015 8:10pm

two questions: first thing in the morning…is that important? is it okay to do later in the morning?

second: i am in mexico, where we don’t have lemons. we have limes. can i use limes?

nancy

anonymous Feb 25, 2015 5:06am

Hi Nancy 🙂 First thing in the morning is important for two reasons. Firstly, as your body has fasted all night, the morning is the time that cells are most open and ready to receive nutrients. Therefore whatever you ingest first goes to your system fastest, and can be absorbed more thoroughly. Secondly, we are all dehydrated when we wake up, and this makes sure that you are hydrated immediately and kick starts the metabolism – which has lasting benefits throughout the day.
    As for limes, if you can't get lemons I would give it a try! It is not something I have used so I don't know how it will work, but since limes are citrus it may be similar. You can also have just warm honey water which is also amazing.
    Hope this helps!
    Crystal 🙂

anonymous Feb 23, 2015 7:59pm

If you would like to avoid heating the honey and you're patient what I do is put my honey in the lemon juice. The lemon juice melts the honey. Then I add room temperature water once it's done. It really doesn't take long at all.

anonymous Feb 25, 2015 5:03am

Great idea Karen! I will try this in the morning!

anonymous Feb 23, 2015 3:22pm

Hi everyone! Due to the flood of questions I've received, I've a dowloadable ebook with much more detail – including more on
Why honey and lemons work
How honey and lemon can help you now
How to source fresh, organic lemons
How to identify and find the best honey
How to make ethical environmental choices
How to grow your own lemon tree at home

You can access it here: http://goo.gl/DstEHH

I hope it can be of use to you!
All the best,
Crystal x

anonymous Feb 23, 2015 10:19am

gooooood

anonymous Feb 23, 2015 3:38pm

Thanks so much, glad to connect with you!

anonymous Feb 23, 2015 12:21am

Hi! What do we do if we are stuck with super market lemons and probably questionable honey. I live in central Minnesota.

Thanks to anyone for help, I would really like to try this as I have just quot caffeine and am in search of alternative healthy energy.

anonymous Feb 23, 2015 3:38pm

Hi Jason, I know it can be SO difficult to get these items. It can even be difficult where I am and it should be super easy. My ebook Honey & Lemons: Health Doesn't Have to be Hard could help, as I have gone into lots of detail about ways to source the best lemons and honey wherever you are in the world (even isolate areas). You can download it here: http://goo.gl/DstEHH
    I really hope that can help!
    Thanks so much for connecting 🙂
    Crystal

anonymous Mar 4, 2015 11:58am

I've found the raw honey in our local Hy-Vee in west central MN. Also, organic lemons, though they look the same as regular ones to me.

anonymous Feb 22, 2015 3:17pm

can I have regular water before this or does this have to be the first thing I consume? I don’t make it downstairs for about 30 min after waking and try to drink a healthy amt of water as I get ready to start the day hydrated. Thanks!!!!!

anonymous Feb 23, 2015 3:36pm

Hi Susan! The reason it is best first thing is that your cells are most receptive and "needy" when we first wake, which means the good stuff travels into our system faster and we are able to process it more fully. I don't think having a glass of water before would be a big deal though! If it is easier for you to have it after water then go for it!
    Thanks so much for reading and connecting!
    Crystal 🙂

anonymous Feb 22, 2015 8:02am

Raw honey yes, but don’t waste money on “organic” as there isn’t any where left on earth that can guarantee organic honey. I am a beekeeper and this fact saddens me to no end

anonymous Feb 23, 2015 3:34pm

Hi Kate! Wow that is awful news. My supplier Heritage Honey have one Certified Organic honey (my favourite, the Blue Gum) but I can see how that would be almost impossible as bees can roam. Can you tell me more about this? I would love to know!
    Thanks so much for reading!
    Crystal 🙂

anonymous Feb 21, 2015 7:00pm

I have been adding a splash of apple cider vinegar to my water bottle for a while now. I have lost weight, not had any colds and felt more energized. When I am dining out I drink water with lemon instead of ordering soda or sweet tea. I enjoyed your article. Thanks for sharing.

anonymous Feb 23, 2015 3:33pm

Thank you Betty, it's so great to hear how apple cider vinegar has helped you! I am going to give that a try next 🙂
    Many thanks for reading!
    Crystal 🙂

anonymous Feb 21, 2015 4:16pm

Thank you Crystal Davis for this article – have just started a ‘Honey Lemon Water” group here on Facebook for family and friends to join me with my newly intended and very simple morning ritual (my wife Irene has been doing this but without the honey for sometime) with your article as our ‘founding statement’ if that’s okay by you? Also very interested in the whole pH balance thing so have united the two – thanks again – Michael, Wexford, Ireland :0)))

anonymous Feb 23, 2015 3:26pm

Hi Michael, your group sounds wonderful! Of course it is ok by me that this article is used for your founding statement, that is lovey 🙂
    I also have an ebook on the subject available on my website if that is helpful to anyone in your group – it goes into much deeper detail about all the aspects, including how to grow your own lemon tree at home. Hopefully it can be useful!
    You can access it here: http://goo.gl/DstEHH

Thanks so much for reading!
    Crystal

anonymous Feb 21, 2015 3:51pm

A truly delightful article. Thanks for your thoughts. This is quite similar to the protocol I follow at the first sign of a cold or flu with added ginger, echinacea, and thyme. I drink ginger lemon often. When I use honey (which is also quite often) it always local and raw! Peace, Be Well, and keep up on your good work!

anonymous Feb 23, 2015 3:27pm

Thank you so much, I am so glad you enjoyed the article and your cod and flu concoction sounda amazing – I will have to give that a try if any colds do appear. Thanks so much for reading!
    Crystal 🙂

anonymous Feb 21, 2015 2:20am

I drink water with fresh lemon every morning for years and it's amazing. Why would I want to add honey to it? Any additional benefits?

anonymous Feb 23, 2015 3:29pm

Hi Inessa! Lemon on its own is so amazing! But honey has completely different properties to lemon, including antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, infection fighting and more, Combined with the alkalizing and flushing actions of the lemon they are even more amazing together.
    I go into more detail i my ebook Honey & Lemon: Health Doesn't Have to be Hard if that is helpful, You can find it here: http://goo.gl/DstEHH
    Thanks so much for reading!
    Crystal 🙂

anonymous Feb 21, 2015 12:30am

How many drinks a day? I’m willing to give it a shot.

anonymous Feb 23, 2015 3:31pm

Hi Jay! Just one a day first thing int he morning. When my loved ones are not well, I give it to them a few times a day but you wouldn't want that to be your routine. One drink first thing is perfect 🙂
    If you want some more detail on this subject you can download my ebook Honey & Lemon: Health Doesn't Have to be Hard on my website here: http://goo.gl/DstEHH
    Wishing you all the very best and thanks for reading!
    Crystal

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 8:07pm

Are you worried about the cancer growing environment created by all that sugar?

anonymous Feb 26, 2015 6:49am

Honey is NOT sugar (not the same type as the sugar we are used to consume at least).
    Actually honey is often related to cure for cancer.

Also lemon, although is "acid", when enters our body becomes alcaline, that is another anticancer condition.

Cancer likes acidic environments. When is alcaline, can just not live. So don't worry about the honey but to keep your body with the right PH balance, that has to be slightly alcaline 😉

anonymous Mar 22, 2015 3:22pm

Honey most certainly IS sugar. Honey has more fructose relative to glucose than does table sugar, but these are all simple sugars with similar actions in the body. (Fructose is metabolized slightly differently than sucrose, but this is only an issue if it is consumed in high qualities. The bottom line is that sugars are ALL very quickly digested carbohydrates.)

As for acidity or alkalinity in the body, this balance is critical and thus the body has its own mechanisms to regulate it regardless of what we stuff into our mouths. Choosing more acidic or more alkaline foods does not change one's body chemistry in the least.

If you doubt any of the above, check any high school science textbook.

As for cancer, I doubt very much that drinking some lemon-honey water in the morning is going to have any adverse effects on anything except perhaps the teeth — unless the sugar consumption continues throughout the day, in which case obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease are more likely to be concerns than cancer.

anonymous Feb 27, 2015 4:55am

Hi dig – in short, not at all. Cancer grows in an acidic body, which refined sugar can contribute to. One teaspoon of good quality honey in a day is quickly absorbed and not excessive, and combined with the alkalising effects of lemon and the health giving properties of both honey and lemon, I feel very safe with this. Having said that, health is a holistic issue, and no one consumes only one warm honey lemon drink in a day. If one was consuming one teaspoon of honey pius a whole bunch of other types of sugar and acidic foods in the day then yes, there'd be a problem. But the honey itself would not be the cause. Of all the things I could consume in a day that have the potential to create a cancer producing environment, this would not be one of them 🙂
    Thanks for asking though!

anonymous Mar 20, 2015 4:32pm

As a matter of fact, lemon creates an alkaline environment instead of an acidic one and in 1931 it was discovered that caner cannot grow in an acidic environment. It just will not survive. Research this for yourself.

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 1:58pm

I’ve been drinking warm lemon water every morning for over 2 years now. Often with honey and also I add ginger in the winter time. It has worked great in many ways and I never wanna stop.

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 9:50pm

That's so awesome Kate! I have considered adding ginger many times, and have done that in the past if I had a cold or something. But you've reminded me to get back onto it! Thank you!

anonymous Feb 23, 2015 12:49am

I do the same and I feel great too. I love ginger 🙂

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 1:58pm

Can I use agave?

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 9:51pm

Hi Alyssa! I am not sure that agave would work the same way as its properties are different to honey. But I'd love to hear the answer if you ever find out!

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 1:44pm

I've also used this and it's the only thing that ever worked for my severe allergies! Love it. But I only used cold water. Does that make a difference? I thought it was best if the lemon was raw.

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 9:49pm

Hi Navi! I drink cold lemon water as well during the day on occasion, I believe they do different things. I know it definitely has to be warm for the honey to mix in, but it's important not to use water that is too hot. I do know my body appreciates the warm water first thing in the morning and is able to better absorb the hydration. That's amazing that it works for your allergies! I will have to keep this in mind! Thank you 🙂

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 1:13pm

I was drinking same thing for almost half a year, but I got problems with my teeth, they got far more fragile and dentist said it could be over using citruses…so I quit drinking it, but I also loved it, specially over better indegestion and far more better ”wake me up” process, which became much easier 🙂

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 9:46pm

A few people have mentioned this to me now so thank you for mentioning it! I have regular dentist visits and very healthy teeth, but I can also see how both honey and lemon are abrasive. Someone in an earlier comment suggested using a straw to avoid the liquid damaging teeth, I am going to try that next!

anonymous Mar 20, 2015 8:10pm

This seems a good question Crystal Davis.
      Besides the points you mentioned, in such situations, gargling the mouth after taking the lemon/honey drink would also help.
      Thanks for sharing.

anonymous Feb 25, 2015 4:43pm

You can try to use a straw to by pass the teeth

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 12:25pm

All very healthy for your body but not for your teeth! That will cause a huge amount of acid erosion of your enamel!

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 9:46pm

Hi Eebee! A few people have mentioned this and someone suggested that they use a straw for this reason. Though my teeth haven't seen any ill effects at all so far, I think I will try the straw method to be super sure! Thanks for bringing this up! 🙂

anonymous Feb 21, 2015 2:34pm

Just wash it down with a good swish of fresh water afterwards.

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 11:08am

could you use limes or does it have to be lemons?

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 9:55pm

Hi Katie! I believe lemons are the magic thing 🙂 limes would be yummy, but I haven't read anywhere that limes could be substituted, so I personally stick to the lemony goodness. But if you discover the answer I'd love to know!

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 10:23am

I consulted a man who harvests his own honey from his own beehives and he told me to never heat honey as it kills all of the “good stuff” inside of the honey and what’s your left with is just sugar. Have you heard of this or have any thoughts? TY!

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 9:44pm

I have heard this too Gily, and am careful not to put boiling water in (I always let it cool so it's just warm enough to melt the honey enough to drink). According to my local supplier, it is ok to gently warm the honey to a runny consistency but not to heat it any more than that. But I have heard varying reports! For this reason I also take a raw teaspoonful every now and again to be on the safe side 🙂

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 10:20am

Quick question. I consulted a man who harvests his own honey, from his own hives, mainly for medicinal purposes. He advised me to never heat it up because it kills all of the “good stuff” inside of the honey and what’s left after it’s heated is just sugar. Have you run into this theory or have any thoughts yourself? TY!

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 9:36am

I’m definitely going to give this a try! Did you drink this mix on an empty stomach, or with your breakfast? Not sure if matters but I’ll try whatever you did 🙂

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 9:42pm

Hi Kristen! I always drink this on an empty stomach, and eat about 20mins-1hr afterwards (I usually find I am not hungry until the drink has done it's work). For me rehydrating straight away in the morning is important so I do this before anything else. I'd love to hear how you go with it! 🙂

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 9:23am

I have a question. We want raw untreated honey because the heating process kills the good stuff.

So how come the good stuff isn’t killed when we add it to our hot water?

Is there a temperature cut off at which it’s not killing of the good stuff that we need to be aware of?

I love the very taste of lemon and honey anyway, but I would like to be doing this right so that I’m not killing off whatever the good is. I can tolerate very hot beverages as an avid hot tea, coffee, and cocoa drinker. Lol.

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 9:39pm

Hi Meredith, I have heard this too. This is why I let the water cool and just keep it warm enough to melt the honey and I drink immediately. I think there are a few different schools of thought on this, so I also have a raw teaspoon of honey every now and then just to be on the safe side! I also read recently that a teaspoonful before bed helps you sleep, and my Mum and I tried it and it seems to work as well! Thanks so much for reading 🙂

anonymous Jun 21, 2015 9:20am

One good test for temp level for nutrients in fruits etc. If you can tolerate the temp on your inner arm. Even though it makes your skin red a little. That is quite warm. Abiut 108 d C .. your tissues and also nutrients in fruits can cope with hot temp . Esp as its only for 30 seconds to liquify the honey. Then add a little cold to drink it straight fown. I leave my drink hot and sip it over 5 / 8 minutes . Boiling water is too hot at . 112 d. C let it cool for a minute ir two.

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 8:48am

Thanks for the info! I’m totally going to try this!

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 9:37pm

I'd love to hear how you go Lisa-Marie! Thanks for reading!

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 7:57am

Lemon water has also been amazing for my pregnancy nausea. I had a week of horrible nausea. I ordered acupressure bands, and started eating tangelos (any citrus is my tummy’s friend!). I also read that lemon water can ease nausea, so I tried it. The first couple days, I had to sip it nearly constantly because that ick feeling was always ready to take over. Now, almost a week later, I have 1-3 glasses of lemon water a day, and I feel great. I think lemon water combined with eating really healthy, and the wrist bands has made me *almost* forget I’m pregnant! The lemon water has not made me feel less tired, but hey, I’m growing a human. A little exhaustion is to be expected. I usually take a quarter of a lemon, squeeze it into a full glass of water, and drink it with a straw (to help minimize acid erosion). I like stronger lemon water, but that requires more lemons, and I can’t seem to get to the grocery store THAT often!

Thanks for posting! Helps me stay motivated to keep up the habit even after the nausea subsides. As a mom, I could really benefit from NOT getting sick!!!

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 9:37pm

Wow that is amazing Maggie! I will have to remember this for when I am ready for little ones! Thank you for sharing that great tip!

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 6:00am

Since Lent just started I have decided to make much healthier choices – would love to make this one of them. What was your recipe?

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 9:56pm

Hi Julie! Sounds great! The editors have allowed me to add my recipe into the article above now, hooray! Hope it helps.

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 5:47am

what to do if you only have access to supermarket lemons, will using lemon concentrate work too? I’ve tried different ways to tolerate and get lemon, hot water, braggs apple cider vinegar daily. 1st drink of the morning I make a tea with 1T each cider vinegar and honey, 1 tsp organic honey and add an apple cinnamon tea bag- very tasty; but after 1 month of daily use I havent seen much difference, in fact, I’m typing this from my “sick” bed :/

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 10:01pm

Hi Donna, I know I've had trouble getting good lemons all the time! There are organic lemon concentrates available, whether these would be better than "fresh" supermarket lemons in terms of their benefit is hard to know. I do use supermarket lemons if I absolutely have to and still stay well, but I don't compromise ever on the honey.
    Apple cider vinegar is something I want to add into my diet too, thanks for reminding me!
    *Just a thought – I know that for some people, if they have a lot of toxins and they start getting expelled though lifestyle and diet change, get sick before they get better. Hopefully this is what's happening? But I am not a nutritionist or doctor. Fingers crossed you get well soon!

anonymous Feb 23, 2015 3:44pm

Hi again Donna! I have taken the time to create an ebook called 'Honey & Lemon: Health Doesn't Have to be Hard' on this subject as it can be so difficult to get these items in many places (even where I am!) I have gone into detail about where and how to source the right products and even how to grow your own lemon tree. I hope it can help! You can download it here: http://goo.gl/DstEHH
    All the best 🙂
    Crystal

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 4:35am

Here is the recipe from TheHealthSite.com
Fill a tall glass with warm water (as hot as you can tolerate), add the juice of half a lemon and one teaspoon of honey to it. Now stir the mixture well and drink it. If you are a diabetic, there is no need to shy away from this drink, here is why it is safe for you to add honey to this elixer. Also, remember to avoid drinking tea or coffee for at least half an hour after you have had the honey and lemon mixture.

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 4:23am

Placebo.

Putting honey and lemon juice into hot tea literally kills all good stuff in them. So basically you drank tea with sugar and lemon aroma for the whole year.

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 8:19am

She was putting lemon and honey into hot water, not tea. I definitely don't think it's a cure-all, but it is definitely a good, caffeine-free pick-me-up in the a.m. Changing your morning ritual can bring about a host of benefits on their own.

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 9:34am

Maybe you read something I didn't read but the article said water, not tea.
    I think your assumptions of it being a placebo effect are, in fact, a placebo effect. No proof anywhere shows that mixing honey and lemon "literally kills the good stuff in them"
    None…ever. Anywhere.

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 11:47am

I didn't see anything in the article that referenced tea. Just water, lemon juice and honey.

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 2:56pm

It's hot water she uses, not hot tea.

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 3:51pm

I know what your saying….Ayurvedic routine says to never heat honey…so naturally we shouldn't be adding it to anything warm.

anonymous Feb 21, 2015 6:09am

So drink it all cold and it should be good

anonymous Mar 1, 2015 10:50pm

Honey dissolves very well into water, I don't really see the need to heat the water at all.
    I use honey on my face and as soon as I splash water on it, the honey rinses right off, smooth and clean.

anonymous Mar 24, 2015 5:03pm

Warm to very water is best. That way the body doesn't have to work so hard to warm it up. The body just excepts and absorbs what it needs and discards the rest.

anonymous Jun 1, 2015 1:46pm

Drinking cold water actually makes your body heat it up to use the water making it very good to work your metabolism. helps with dieting. Let's figure out exactly what you're burning when you drink a 16-ounce (0.5 liter) glass of ice water:
        The temperature of ice water can be estimated at zero degrees Celsius.
        Body temperature can be estimated at 37 degrees Celsius.
        It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.
        There are 473.18 grams in 16 fluid ounces of water.
        So in the case of a 16-ounce glass of ice water, your body must raise the temperature of 473.18 grams of water from zero to 37 degrees C. In doing so, your body burns 17,508 calories. But that's calories with a little "c." Your body only burns 17.5 Calories, and in the grand scheme of a 2,000-Calorie diet, that 17.5 isn't very significant.
        But let's say you adhere to the "eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day" nutritional recommendation. In 64 ounces of water, there are 1,892.72 grams. So to warm up all that water in the course of a day, your body burns 70,030 calories, or 70 Calories. And over time, that 70 Calories a day adds up. So, while you definitely shouldn't depend on ice water consumption to replace exercise or a healthy diet, drinking cold water instead of warm water does, in fact, burn some extra Calories! how stuff works website

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 4:14am

Both honey and lemon are bad for the teeth enamel. Drinking through a straw to avoid teeth contact with the liquid might make sense.

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 10:02pm

Thanks so much Nadia, a few people have mentioned this and I love your straw suggestion I am sourcing glass straws now 🙂 Thank you!

anonymous Feb 26, 2015 9:20pm

Or, rinse with plain water immediately after, and rinse with baking soda/water 1-2 times per day to neutralize the pH level in your mouth to above 5.5
    Drinking from a straw can cause wrinkles 🙂
    -Dental Assistant

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 3:12am

Questions answered #3 🙂

*RUNNY OR SET HONEY? Referencing my favourite local supplier, Heritage Honey, raw unheated honey is only gently warmed for packaging purposes – to retain the precious volatile oils and essences that are naturally present in honey. According to their label “All pure honey will granulate, in fact this change is the best proof of its quality. To re-liquefy, stand the jar in hot water til the honey clears.”
Whether it is set or runny makes no difference to the warm drink, as it melts regardless. I personally LOVE the granulated bits in the honey if I am eating a sneaky spoonful!

* WHICH FLAVOUR IS BEST? As far as I can see, this is just a case of personal preference. My favourite is Tasmanian Blue Gum, native to my area, but I have tried so many honeys and have a long list of favourites. Some flavours do suit warm drinks better than others though, and taste differently in relation to the lemon. So this would be a case of experimenting. My best tip – honey tasting! Suppliers at markets will often allow you to taste the honeys first and the supplier should be able to tell you which ones work best in warm drinks. In my opinion, any honey that is made by local bees from local native flora must be the best 🙂

I hope this all helps! Thank you all for reading x

anonymous Feb 27, 2015 5:18pm

Is there a danger of the acidity of the lemons eroding dental enamel? I thought lemon water did this if taken to often and you are mentioning doing it every single day?

anonymous Mar 8, 2015 1:21pm

Thank you for all this good information.

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 3:03am

Questions answered #2 🙂
* WHERE TO GET THE HONEY: Local is absolutely best! Farmer’s markets are a great place to find local organic, raw unheated honey (but be sure that the jar is labelled raw and unheated, as some sellers will try to pull the wool over your eyes!).
I also get mine from the wholefoods/organics store in town. If your organics store doesn’t have it, they should know where you can get it. Failng that, Google is a honey hunter’s best friend!

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 2:55am

Hi everyone, thanks for reading! I am getting lots of questions so I will answer as many as possible here!
* RECIPE: I generally use the juice of half a fresh lemon, and a decent teaspoon of organic, raw unheated honey in a standard mug with freshly boiled water that has cooled a little (I then add a splash of cold so I can drink immediately and in one go to rehydrate as soon as I wake). However, it does depend on the lemon and the honey, some lemons are juicier or more sour and some honeys more sweet, so experimenting is important! Also half a lemon may be too intense to start, my family use a quarter.

anonymous Feb 26, 2015 10:34am

Hi Crystal according to Revital health food store raw active honey should not be put in a hot drink, as at temperatures above 40 degrees Celsius honey loses its antioxidants and antibacterial properties.

anonymous Apr 18, 2015 10:56am

Hi only one question for me do you drink the water all in one shot or do you sip it with time

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 1:30am

I smoke.
I did this lemon / honey / cinnamon ritual every morning last year for some period, i think around 3 months.
I almost quit smoking!
I was feeling vibrant, more healthy and alive and cut down to 3 – 4 cigarettes a day if any, from around 15.
And that was not my intention, i guess my body detoxified and needed no more toxins.
🙂
P

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 3:19am

Wow that's amazing Patty! But I can totally believe it! I have cut down on sugar and no longer eat tons of ice cream before bed every night, the benefits seem to just keep coming. I loved hearing how it has benefited you too! Thank so much for connecting! x

anonymous Mar 8, 2015 1:08pm

I just quit smoking 5 days ago. So far so good, I think I will try this lemon/honey/ water drink. Ok now some of you add cinnamon too? How does that work? Thank you

anonymous Apr 14, 2015 8:55am

So, I have to ask… Why did you stop with the lemon honey after 3 months? You might have actually quit smoking. It sounds like it was working for you.

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 1:05am

Hi crystal, thanks for the article! Was just wondering how much lemon/honey do you use per cup. P,us do you put the hot or cold water in first?

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 3:17am

Hello Sarah! I have posted some comments below detailing exactly what I use and how I make it, plus some other info. Look below shortly and hopefully your questions will all be answered! Thanks for reading! x

anonymous Feb 25, 2015 1:59pm

The answer to your question Sarah is right in the article. I started out using a wedge and worked my way up to a thick wedge and still getting the benefits.

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 12:48am

Yes I've been doing this for a while now and it really is amazing! Great article x

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 3:15am

Isn't it awesome Bibi?! Thanks so much for reading and connecting! x

anonymous Jun 4, 2015 7:57am

Great article. I have also been doing this for a while. It has been life changing.
      It has also become some what of a ritual for me. I stand in the kitchen as I drink my warm delicious mixture and I silently pray, repeat a mantra, or simply thank the universe for everything I have been given.
      Love it!

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 12:42am

Hi! So what is the recipe that was used to create the water?

anonymous Feb 20, 2015 3:14am

Hi Lewis! Thanks for reading. I have posted my recipe in a comment awaiting approval, look below shortly! 🙂

anonymous Jun 11, 2015 9:41am

H2O

anonymous Aug 5, 2015 9:04pm

Two parts hydrogen one part oxygen.

Stefan Van Der Spuy Jan 14, 2018 10:58am

Sure, it's acidic. Have your lemon drink and rinse out your mouth with fresh water. It's really that simple.

Pandey Jee Oct 16, 2017 6:23am

Nice to read your blog the health benefits of honey and lemon tea can't be ignored. Further if one want to buy beverages of hot lemon tea may visit our site at http://www.teacoffeesolutions.com

Farmhoney Sep 14, 2017 9:47am

Really nice artcile i will follow this routine

Usman Khan Sep 10, 2017 4:02am

Because it is said by some one that every thing as a sweetener other then honey is a poison .

Carolyn Penditha Johnson Aug 6, 2017 2:17pm

I recently had a mild attack of diverticuloses and I used honey instead of antibiotics it has helped tremndously. I have since started for the past three weeks honey lemon water first thing in the morning. I am going to be seventy in a week. The level of energy is unbelievable. I told my friends if seventy feels like this I should have been a long time ago.

Tari Yousuo Woyengidengiyefa Jun 7, 2016 8:16am

Can I drink lemon water and honey and still get pregnant?

Jacquelyn Hill Duffield May 23, 2016 4:12pm

I had the crud a while back,I started buying organic or raw honey and organic lemons.while i kept having relapses i sarted with lemon and water.I started to get better the same day I did it ,plus i add a cup of hot tea later that day.I had noticed even if you decide to have soda when i was younger I liked lemon and coke.As long as I addded lemon to a coke and squeezed a few from lemon on tongue and rest on top of coke my sinus and throat infections were almose non existent,so I have gone back to fresh lemons and now added honey in water.If i drink any soda i dilute to half and half.

Justin Brown May 4, 2016 3:41pm

I heard lemon water messes with your teeth how have you mitigated this?

Read The Best Articles of March
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Crystal Davis

Crystal Davis teaches entrepreneurs how to travel the world and make a positive global impact. Running her business from 14 countries in the past five years, she is a Guinness World Record holder, writer of articles viewed by millions, & lives by the words “impress yourself first.”

Enjoy her free trainings or follow her on Instagram and Facebook.