The Menstrual Cup Changed My Life: 6 Reasons to Switch.

Via Pratibha Pal
on Jun 11, 2015
get elephant's newsletter

Meluna_farbauswahl_1_1

Editor’s Note: This website is not designed to, and should not be construed to, provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion or treatment to you or any other individual, and is not intended as a substitute for medical or professional care and treatment. Always consult a health professional about health care changes before trying out new home therapies or changing your diet.

~

6 Reasons to Switch from Tampons which Poison our Body & our Environment & cost crazy $$$.

When I originally wrote this post a few days ago, I did not expect it to get so many views in a matter of hours.

Nor did I expect women to start mailing me asking me lots of questions about using a menstrual cup.

Most questions were basic and I realized that there was so much information that was missing!

It has been close to a year since I have been using the menstrual cup and let me say that it has changed my life. Tampons and disposable pads were the only options that were available in the market for feminine hygiene products. If were eco-friendly you could choose the cloth napkins that can be washed and reused.

Most of the mainstream products contain bleach and chemicals that can not just dry out the skin but also cause an infection. The not-so-new but revolutionary product, the menstrual cup, has been around for a while and I had been wanting to try it.

Once I did, I got rid of all of my other products for good!

What is a menstrual cup?

A menstrual cup is a silicone cup that fits inside the body. Unlike most existing products that absorb the menstrual fluid, the menstrual cup collects the fluid in a silicone cup which needs to be inserted into the vagina. You can empty it every eight hours or so, depending on the flow of your cycle.

To be honest, I forget that I am on the monthly cycle mode with the menstrual cup!

If you have been contemplating shifting to the cup, but haven’t really got around to doing so, let me tell you how the menstrual cup changed my life!

It’s environmentally friendly.

Do your bit and don’t contribute to the existing landfill. I realized that the menstrual cup was not just good for my body, but good for the environment too! Since it is made of medical grade silicone it can be washed and reused for years. Since the cup is reusable I didn’t need to waste money on piles of tampons and disposable pads.

It’s comfortable.

When I wear a cup I cannot tell it is there. Yes, that is true. There is no uncomfortable shifting of pads or even cramps. There is such a high comfort factor that apart from a nagging pain, I don’t even remember that I am on the monthly cycle. Unlike tampons or pads, a cup will not dry out the sensitive areas, but will only hold the flow.

I learned more about my body.

To be honest, I wasn’t ready to face the ickiness factor when I started using it. But when I did, I learned more about my cycle. Since the cup indicates measurements, I was aware of exactly how much blood I was losing and trust me, it is a lot less than what we assume it to be! It was a fascinating thing to discover and trust me I no longer look at the monthly cycle as a nuisance.

They are economical and safe.

I saved a lot of money. The cost of one menstrual cup is probably equivalent to two months supply of disposable tampons and pads. And the menstrual cup can be used for as long as eight years if cleaned and stored correctly. This should be one of your main reasons to use a menstrual cup!

I began to live normally.

I didn’t have to worry about uncomfortable shifting pads or staining if I wanted to go for a walk or a run. I could do all of these and sleep comfortably all through the night! Yes, uninterrupted sleep for seven to eight hours is a total bliss!

The menstrual cup reviews are mixed. You either love it or hate it. These are my reasons to use a menstrual cup. Let’s get this straight! Menstrual cups are easy to insert, wash and reinsert.  Apart from that they are super comfy, economical, eco-friendly, free from chemicals (read nontoxic), reusable (for almost 5 years) and they don’t contribute to the landfill. So there you are, it is good for you and the earth. Make that switch now and opt for a green period!
~

Relephant:

Detoxing, plastics, gut health & what it all of it has to do with preventing cancer:

Mindful Menstruation: How the Moon Cup Revolutionized my Period.

~

Author: Pratibha Pal

Editor: Travis May

Image: Wikipedia

About Pratibha Pal

Pratibha Pal is an avid blogger and founder of Pratsmusings, a blog that focuses on all natural and organic alternatives for everyday living and recommends eco-friendly brands available in India. She strongly advocates green living because she believes everyone must be more conscious about their surroundings and a healthy way of living. She is a mum to twin boys who have made her more aware of how beautiful green living is.

She also loves social media and has worked with various brands to strengthen their social media presence. When she is not working on her blog or managing social media for brands, you will find her going for long walks, dabbling in photography or just curling up with a book! She has also authored the eBook of The Handbook of DIY things that you can make at home that can be downloaded here.

You can follow her on her blogs PratsMusings, SocialMediaWired, and on the various social media she has her presence Twitter, Facebook, via RSS and on Pinterest.

Comments

43 Responses to “The Menstrual Cup Changed My Life: 6 Reasons to Switch.”

1. Anuradha says:

Hi Pratibha

It really amused me that in India lot of people are not aware about this product. I really want people to know about it and start using it. Since i am a PR professional…i want to introduce it again to the world, so that they can become more eco-responsible.

It would be great if you can share the details of the company.

Looking forward to your revert on the same.

Thanks and Regards

Anuradha

2. LiveLoveLaugh says:

I've been using moon cups for just over two years. My flow has significantly diminished, 7 days down to three days, I don't have issues of extreme dryness (I have lupus which was exacerbated by tampons), I can ride, go to the gym, swim. . . NO PROBLEMS! They are amazing! I do use back up of cloth pads which I order off of that HUGE online Amazing book store, but really don't need to!

3. Robin says:

I agree with all of your statements! The other thing I would add, is that not all brands are the same. The first menstrual cup I tried felt uncomfortable and never really “fit.” I tried another and fell in love. One thing I’ve also noticed is that my periods have gotten shorter. I’ve been using the Luna cup for over 3 years now and my cycle has shortened to 2.5 days. Tampons used to be so dry and irritating… I think it lengthened the entire process. It’s so much better now with the menstrual cup! And it’s perfect for travel : )

4. mo ostler says:

Absolutely. I agree with all of the above. Im now menopausal so havent used it for 6 months but when I discovered it it certainly completely changed my experience of my bleeding cycle; so much easier and more problem free.

5. Gydle says:

I had no idea such a thing existed! I'm so psyched to try one out – I'm doing a five week thru-hike and the idea of hauling out all my used tampons was not very appealing. Now I can just wash out the cup – no waste. Awesome!

6. Candida says:

I think they put chemical in the pads and tampons that make you bleed longer and cramp. Due to strained finances i didnt have the money to buy my feminine needs for like 3 months. I ended up cutting old cotton tshirts of my husbands and onsie shirts that my son had out grown and i was amazed at the lack of cramps adn how much shorter and lighter my period was those 3 months!

7. She Guest says:

Hi! How is the blood disposed off?

8. Terry says:

Tampons also seemed to exacerbate cramping too for me.

9. deborAHN says:

I first used a menstrual cup 20 years ago. The Australian government had just placed the GST and I was angry that I had to pay tax on something that I was natural. I first used glad rags, but they were not practical when outside all day. Then I discovered The Keeper. I used it for about ten years, then I heard about the Diva Cup and the Mooncup, which are made from silicon, so I traded in my rubber cup for a softer silicon. Now, I see you can get even smaller cups and softer cups and cups that can be flattened. I wish more woman would use these options. It's cheaper, environmentally friendly and safer for your body to use. But my friends find it disgusting, repulsive, dirty even "unnatural" to use an alternative to a tampon.

10. @Myepica says:

You need to just empty the cup and rinse it out. Clean with warm water and a mild soap. Reuse.

11. @Myepica says:

Oh yes! All of it and more! And its a healthy switch too!

12. @Myepica says:

And you don't contribute to the land fill!

13. @Myepica says:

Most women do find it repulsive but I cant understand what is so icky about your own blood!

14. Carly says:

What about clotting? Lots of it. Not sure that would work out too well.

15. @Myepica says:

I had the same issue, but never felt it post the cup use.

16. Christina says:

I get clots, and have been using the size 2 diva cup for 5 years. During my heavy and clotting day (s) I end up sometime emptying the cup frequently, every couple hours. I do need to use a backup for spotting during this time, but it’s much better still than using tampons. If you are like me, and able to feel when you have a clot drop, which I can do much easier with the cup, you can empty the cup to prevent overflow.

17. rainescott says:

How do you go about ordering one? And sizes, It makes sense that they would have several sizes, I mean, when we go in for the pap smear, there are different size speculums… I've heard of the Luna cup, but, am completely lost in how to order one, much less actually know how to use it? I don't mean to be gross, but, is there a smell? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

18. Laura says:

So this seems great if you never need to use a public style bathroom but what happens at work, the mall, the movies, a bar/club etc???!!! You can't just walk out of a stall with a bloody cup and fingers to the sink with your pants at your ankles???? I love the concept and I've used them in the past but as a paramedic and a nurse who often never has access to a private bathroom it was not possible to continue to use them….

19. Jessica says:

I also have a question about size. I’m 40 but never had kids and am often told I’m “tight.” What size am I supposed to use? Thanks! Also, second the question about public restrooms.

20. Hmmm says:

How do you do this in a public bathroom? Use two cups? I would for sure have an issue if I had to rush out cup-less to wash it . . . or do you just wait? Still, there is is that un-protected moment…

21. Cynthia says:

I used these cups for several years starting in 1970 and loved them. Then, around 1973, they were removed from the shelves here in the USA. I never learned why but I certainly missed them all the years after that. Good to know they’re finally available again.

22. MiMi says:

I have a sensitivity to the silicone at the top of thigh highs; they leave red marks for days in the pattern of the silicone grippers. Are there any cups that are made silicone free? I’m afraid of getting ‘burned’.

23. Shilpa suchak says:

Hey ! The article has gotten me exited to try it. Possible to guide me where I can get it in India, I live in bombay. Thank you

24. Emma says:

That was my concerns too.
    I worked this weekend with my doctor out the city, in some villages, where the bathroom was medieval style, out in the fields, surrounded by dry leaves. There was no water source, to wash a menstrual cup. From 07:30 till 23:30 we worked continuously. How can a 8h cup hold all that flow? How can you wash a menstrual cup, where you are surrounded by people and can’t have with you a bottle of water at that tiny improved toilet in the fields? You get only few minutes for toilet break, how in this world will you change the cup, adding a new one. Means disposing of the filled cup, because you can’t wash it, nor store it in your backpack till you get home back in the city at night.
    I’ll still go for tampons and pads.

25. pratibha75 says:

Shilpa – try these links – http://amzn.to/1CBy24i and http://amzn.to/1SktAJ1

26. Unicorn26 says:

I dont get how the use of the menstrual cup lessens cramping? I start to cramp days before I actually start my period. Can anyone explain this?

27. Rebecca says:

Here in U.S. we only have certain companies offer cup. “Silky” cup is not one of them. I have found many quality products are found in India, but not here in U. S. 🙁

Amazon.com, here in U.S. only offers the “Diva” which is the one most ladies are discontent with in West. Referencing the article blog.

Good info. I enjoy your ideas & writings. 🙂

28. Miranda Leipsig says:

Even on my heavy days I can wear the Diva Cup for 10+ Hours or more. I always use a panty-liner and most of them have almost no marks. I work a very active job – I never have had to change it in a public place – I just ensure that I change it before I leave for work, and when I get home. I’ve been told you can wear it safely for 12 hours – which I have done on several occasions to no ill effect.

The first time I tried a tampon after months of Cup usage (I had surprise cycle, and no cup with me), I got a yeast infection so badly that I needed major medication. I don’t get yeast infections. That was the clear indicator to me that tampons are not safe.

I LOVE this product and I recommend it to everyone I can.

29. Sol says:

There is no odour, so don't worry about that!
    Most of the cups I e seen come in two sizes, the smaller for young girls and those who haven't given birth, and the larger for the rest of us. As I was nearing 40, even though I've not had children I went for the larger size and found it suitable.

30. Sol says:

Check my replies above. Sounds like we are built similarly, and I did ponder the question but ultimately went for the larger size and it was fine. The brand I use (Lunette) is quite flexible and seems a good fit. I've been using it for several years now.

31. Sol says:

As much as I love the cup, I can't say it's made much difference in the cramp/belly pain department for me. But I suspect there are many different types and causes of such discomfort, so I guess it's possible that it does make a difference to some women in that way.

32. Veronica says:

The Keeper cup is natural gum rubber, so if you don't have a latex sensitivity/allergy, maybe try that.

33. Victoria says:

I LOVE my Mooncup! Been using it for nearly a year now. Not only has it saved me money but Ive learnt so much about my body and Im not contributing towards the landfills. I love that I am so intune with my menstrual cycle. I also have friends who wont try it… Each to their own. With regards to cleaning it out in a public place it is actually quite easy. Carry a bottle of water with you to rinse and then wipe with loo paper or a tissue. Easy peasy 🙂

34. Tbird says:

They have a disposable brand called softcup, sold at the big box stores….same concept, and perfect for public restrooms! They also sale travel size wet wipes for "in the stall" clean up of self and hands!!! I love them, flexible plastic…..I am also allergic to silicon!

35. Michelle says:

I use softcups which are available at most drugstores and large retailers. I will never go back to tampons. I've used them for 2 years. So much cheaper than pads or tampons. Comfortable and no dryness.

36. Irene says:

I’ve been using a diva cup for over 12 years. It definitely took a few periods to get used to at the beginning but I found it to be a lifesaver even then. Love that you can sterilize it by boiling it, use it for years before getting a new one, and wear it much longer than a tampon or pad. I know they say to empty it more frequently, but on lighter days I only empty it once in the morning when I shower and then in the evening before bed. Before I started eating a plant based, low fat diet, I used to have 10 day periods with 5-7 extremely heavy flow days. On heavy days I would have to change my super plus tampon and pad every 2-3 hours. My life basically revolved around going to the bathroom. When I switched to the diva cup, I could last 4-6 hours or even a little longer if I also wore a pad on my heavy flow days. HUGE difference in quality of life and rediculously less expensive. As for the question of what to do in public restrooms… you can get really good at finding private ones (I figured out where every single one was on campus when I was in college), or in a pinch you can just empty the cup, wipe it out with toilet paper, and reinsert it. Just make sure you wash your hands before entering the stall and then clean the cup as soon as you have access to a private restroom. I almost never had to do this once I changed my diet and got my periods under control. I will never go back to tampons! Diva cup for life 🙂

37. Beke says:

Am in Zimbabwe and I would love to try it. Have never heard of it but am sure it would work well for me with my very heavy flow and longer menstrual days.

38. Lyn says:

I wish the author would touch on proper care, and what to ina,public restroom…what empty the fluid into toilet then..what hope you have a,zip lock baggie to hold in your purse til your home and can clean it….. please present pros and cons, otherwise, how is this article accurate, well informed, or we'll written?

39. elephantjournal says:

Hi Lyn,

There are a few details like that that I'd like to see included as well! If the author is interested, they can email us and we will update. Thanks for the suggestion! ~ Ed.

40. Gil says:

This is the firts time i have ever heard of it and have never seen it in any South African store ever

41. Jessica says:

I have used my menstrual cup at public restrooms. I just take it out in the restroom stall, pour it out into the toilet, wipe it with toilet paper, insert it, and wipe off my hands with toilet paper.