Editor’s Note: This website is not designed to, and should not be construed to, provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion or treatment to you or any other individual, and is not intended as a substitute for medical or professional care and treatment.
Do you suffer from exhaustion, body aches, anxiety, trouble thinking clearly, and insomnia?
Many empaths or Highly Sensitive People (HSPs), may have a syndrome called adrenal fatigue and not even realize it. The theory behind this condition is that the adrenal glands can’t keep up with outside stress so the hormones such as cortisol that normally keep them energized begin to get depleted.
In my article “How to Stop Absorbing Other People’s Stress,” I discuss the very real situation of empathic illnesses where empaths literally take on the stress and symptoms of others. Unfortunately, conventional medicine doesn’t have a context with which to understand this, so many sensitive people are left in the lurch or misdiagnosed.
Empaths tend to be emotional sponges, often taking on the stress of others. This can add to their own stress levels, making them more vulnerable to adrenal fatigue.
Here are some solutions for empaths to treat adrenal fatigue and restore their energy. But remember, for empaths this isn’t a one-time fix—it requires some basic life style and diet changes to effectively manage energy over the long term.
Strategies to Relieve Adrenal Fatigue
- Get a blood test to check cortisol levels.
- Consider temporary natural cortisol replacement per a physician’s recommendation.
- Get as much rest as possible regular basis (sleep is more healing than we often think!).
- Eliminate and / or set clear limits and boundaries with “energy vampires.”
- Stick to a natural whole food diet.
- Replace regular salt with Himalayan red salt (always check with a physician if your blood pressure is high).
- Avoid white flour and minimize sugar.
- Gentle exercise and stretching: start gradually and build up stamina as energy increases.
- Meditate: take mini breaks throughout your busy day to replenish yourself.
- Take 2,000-5000 mg Vitamins C orally every day.
- Consider IV Vitamin C drips (10-25,000mg) delivered intravenously that can jump start your energy level and support adrenal health (holistic physicians often offer this treatment in their offices). I get one whenever I feel like I’m coming down with a cold to build up my immune system—and it works!
In addition to these practical tips, get in the habit of practicing positive thinking. By this I mean, do not beat yourself up with negative thoughts such as “I will never feel better” or “I am weak and sick.” Rather, focus on the surrender affirmations such as “I am healthy, happy, and deserve to have vibrant well-being.”
We might not have control over some stressors in life, but we can have control of our attitude. To relieve adrenal fatigue, you can remove a great deal of inner stress by surrendering patterns of self-loathing and embracing self-compassion and self-love.
Highly Sensitive People: Dr. Orloff on NPR with Larry Mantel
Adapted from The Power of Surrender: Let Go and Energize Your Relationships, Success, and Well-Being, Harmony Books, by Judith Orloff MD.
Loving & Understanding an Empath.
Author: Judith Orloff
Editor: Renée Picard
Read 5 comments and reply