It’s hard to find delicious, healthy, vegan snacks sometimes.
So much of what we can find in supermarkets is full of sugar and oil, high in sodium, and generally processed beyond all recognition. (I like to call these items “non-foods.”)
So, I prefer to make my own.
A lot of new vegans, before they learn how to properly feed themselves without animal products, will fill up on foods like chips (fries) and other satisfying-but-not-nourishing snacks.
After more than 23 years living meat-free, and over eight years plant-based, I no longer struggle to meet my nutritional needs. To the contrary, actually: I’m thriving! Still, sometimes we all desire something deliciously crispy and satisfying, yet healthy and nutritious.
For those times, these eggplant chips (fries) are a fantastic alternative to our usual options—especially since they’re baked, not fried! Paired with a coconut yogurt dip, they’ll be a hit at any party or gathering. Yowsers! Yum!
This recipe is for one eggplant; simply multiply as needed to satisfy more healthy snackers!
Super Simple Ingredients:
1 eggplant, cut into strips
1/2 cup unsweetened plain coconut yogurt (any plant-based yogurt will do)
1 pinch paprika
2 Tbls juice of a lemon
1 Tbls apple cider vinegar
2 cups gluten-free seasoned breadcrumbs
1 cup unsweetened plain coconut yogurt (any plant-based yogurt will do)
1 Tsp dill
2 Tbls lemon juice
1 pinch black pepper
Super Simple Instructions:
1. Chips: Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 F). Line two large baking trays with baking paper.
2. Cut the eggplant into strips.
3. Dip: Combine all dip ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Put in the fridge until the chips are ready.
4. Combine yogurt, paprika, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar in a large bowl. Toss eggplant chips in yogurt mixture, coating evenly.
5. Place breadcrumbs on a plate, and lightly coat eggplant strips with breadcrumbs. Spread out evenly onto baking paper on trays, making sure they don’t touch.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until crispy. Turn over and bake other side for another 15 minutes.
7. Serve with dip.
Author: Donna Wild
Image: Courtesy of Author
Editor: Catherine Monkman
hot on elephant
My favorite “mindful” eco last-minute Valentine’s Day gifts for lazy lovers. 0 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 2,115 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 5,216 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 7,058 shares How Each Zodiac Sign Prefers to Celebrate Valentine’s Day. 12 shares The 4 Requirements for a Twin Flame Relationship to Work. 1,136 share What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 224 shares The Most Powerful Performance at the Grammys was (Surprisingly) Not Beyonce’s. 1,398 share Jyotish Sidereal Horoscopes for Saturn in Sagittarius 2017. 3 shares How we can go to Heaven without Dragging Others with Us. 40 shares