Feminists Don’t Do This.

Views 5.2
Shares 8.0
Hearts 1.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
1 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
4.3k

When I run into former colleagues, I dread the inevitable question, “So where are you working these days?”

I take a deep breath, lengthen my spine, and with defiance and a touch of embarrassment, I respond that I’m currently staying at home with our little one—and that I unabashedly love it.

Their eyes always widen and I imagine the internal judgment. The same judgement that I used to give, unsolicited, to those I knew who gave up their jobs when a little one came along.

To begin, let me apologize to all the women I judged for not being working moms. And the ones I judged for working too hard. Being a parent is a radical choice. We try to make decisions that benefit not only our children, but ourselves.

We’re all just trying to get along in this messy, imperfect life.

People who know me well are unsurprised to hear how judgmental I can be. Until recently, my Myers-Briggs personality rated incredibly high on the judge-y scale. I grew up with a very clear sense of right and wrong, and little tolerance for what I perceived as wrong.

This translated into my personal expectation of feminism.

Of course I’ll be a working mom. Of course I’ll juggle all the things and be all the people. Of course. Of course. Of course.

Parenthood kicks ass—both in the “yay I totally dig being a parent” and the “my ass is being kicked” varieties.

Becoming a parent not only reaffirmed my commitment to reproductive justice, equality, and access for all, it forced me to re-evaluate my assumptions about what it means to be a feminist.

And the conclusion I came to?

Choice.

Feminism is choice. It’s the choice to be the best that we can be in the circumstances we find ourselves. It’s the choice to determine our own destiny. To be, to do, to create a life that is authentic and true. When we are able to make the decisions that are best for us, everyone wins.

How often do we judge those walking through our lives? Be honest. I’m completely guilty. Assumptions tear our relationships apart—what keeps them from tearing apart our communities, and the very fabric of our society?

I spent a month sleeping on the floor of our son’s nursery. A month. My hips hurt every morning until my less sleep-deprived husband blew up a camp mat for me to sleep on.

Sleep has been our biggest parenting challenge. No one sees that when I post smiley happy photos of my family on Facebook. No one witnessed the moment I cried myself to sleep after discovering my little one had gnawed his way across his crib railing at 3 a.m.

Judgement. It’s a silent killer of souls.

I’m a stay-at-home mom and a feminist. These aren’t mutually exclusive. They aren’t anachronistic. They are the truth. I can say these words because I am privileged. Because I had choices.

I was scared to lose my identity when I became a mother. We don’t prepare each other for navigating the outside world’s expectations of what motherhood should look like. We take classes for childbirth, for gardening, for accountancy. But being both a parent and an involved citizen? A feminist who chooses to stay home? There are no classes for those.

About five months into my pregnancy, I told my manager that being pregnant was like being on a moving sidewalk. Sometimes I just wanted a moment to pause and take it all in. To realize that a great change was about to happen, that it already was happening. To absorb that my body would change and grow and create life without any input from me.

This was the first time I felt that loss of control. The second was definitely not when I could no longer see my feet—that moment is a terrible cliché. Who cares if we can see our feet while pregnant? Bend a little forward, lift your feet, and there they are, past the bump. Not being able to see our vulvas past that mountain of belly is another matter altogether—that really is a valid reason to panic.

Everyone—well-meaning loved ones and every mommy blog—says that when we become mothers, we are no longer the same. We miraculously transform into these new and alien people, so different that we hardly recognize our former selves.

We become a mother: a radical, self-sacrificing person with no independent identity, resentful of the metamorphosis.

I’m happy to report that this didn’t happen. I’m still me. Maybe—definitely—a more exhausted version, but still, irrevocably, me.

Not long after my son was born, I hesitantly looked around and took stock of my life.

Do I still have the same desires? Yes. Do I still have the same hopes? Yes. Do I still want to curl up with a good book and cup of tea? Yes. Do I love my little one beyond all reason and measure? Absolutely.

When I left my position as a fierce reproductive justice activist—I was a political field organizer with Planned Parenthood—to stay at home with our son, I moped around for weeks. I felt like I intentionally and painfully torched my identity, my sense of self, my idea of feminism.

Feminists don’t stay home.

I feared the outside world’s judgement. The judgement of the working women I admired. My mom. My grandmothers. The feminists in my Facebook feed doing the hard, backbreaking work of making this country a better place for everyone.

But what I feared the most was the judgement of my young self. The girl who knew she could be whoever she wanted to be and would not back down in the face of an unjust world. I feared her disappointed eyes.

What I didn’t expect was to not love being mother, but to fall madly in love with being our little one’s mother.

I still don’t know what to think of motherhood. It’s not a sacrosanct state of being. We harm ourselves and society by perpetuating the belief that mothers should be martyrs with no sense of self.

I love our son. I love being his momma. And I love working toward my own dreams. I like to think that I radiate through the cloak of motherhood. With the limited time that I have of my own, it has forced me to reflect and focus on what really matters. Only do what really feeds my soul.

Motherhood should amplify our beings. Rather than an ominous thou shalt not do list, it should be the flint that hones us into finer, sharper, more precise versions of ourselves.

Staying at home isn’t forever for me. I am relishing the time I have with our son. I am able to do this because I am privileged. I have a supportive partner. I’m not a single mother without the choice to stay home. Not everyone has the privilege to stay home. Not everyone wants to. For those who do, we have an obligation as society to support the needs of mothers as they support their families.

Paid maternity leave, anyone?

Our family is in that catch-22 space where, when I do go back to work, it will essentially be for health insurance and my salary will mostly pay for childcare. Should that be a reason to be employed? Why do we value the work of those we pay to watch our children, but not the mothers who do so without financial compensation?

Feminism is equity. Feminism is inclusive. Feminism is choice. And there is still so much work to do.

I’m a feminist and a stay-at-home mom. Hear me roar.

Author: Kenni Linden
Image: Photo by Nadim Merrikh on Unsplash
Editor: Emily Bartran
Copy Editor: Nicole Cameron

Social Editor: Leah Sugerman

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 5.2
Shares 8.0
Hearts 1.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
1 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
4.3k

Read The Best Articles of December
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Kenni Linden

Kenni Linden is a perennial nomad with itchy soles. A graduate of Naropa University’s Interdisciplinary Studies program, Kenni lives with her Irish husband and two littles in Palmer, Alaska. She’s a fierce activist with an insatiable desire to understand human experience and cherishes the perfect cup of tea beneath her sprawling bird cherry tree. She’s a mover and community organizer, and can frequently be found asking tough questions and not tolerating any lies. Find Kenni on her website and on Facebook.

Constance Foss Aug 23, 2017 11:56pm

Thanks for speaking up about feminists who are also stay-at-home mothers. I was one, myself. I, too, felt so privileged! My children were social activists and volunteers along with me. They became writers by contributing to my freelance magazine. We had a great life, with room to grow and become our best selves. HOWEVER, a caveat: make sure you can support yourself when it's time to go back out into the world. Not only does our society need paid maternity leave, it needs to value women who re-enter the workforce in mid-life.

Kenni Psenak Linden Aug 23, 2017 5:05am

Linda Lewis it's refreshing isn't it? I miss that compassionate democracy. <3

Kenni Psenak Linden Aug 23, 2017 5:05am

I appreciate your concern Debrah! We did co-sleep for the first 10 months. Then because it became unsafe for our little one (he likes to roam during the night ha!) we made the decision that works best for us now. <3

Kenni Psenak Linden Aug 23, 2017 5:03am

Great distinction Roy! I found that my previous INTJ profile closely aligned with my more judgemental side. Now I find I'm more INTP and that openness aligns with letting go of judgement.

Lise Liddell Aug 23, 2017 12:37am

I love this. I made the hard CHOICE to not have childern or even get married, which was very radical considering I was raised in the South and that was absolutely expected of me. But I am fortunate to have many wonderful children in my life. (I get to play their crazy aunt, and I love it.) I have some friends who are "working" mothers and some friends who stay at home with their children. All of these women possess an enormous amount of depth and integrity, and all of them worry and weep over their children as they WORK their asses off to prepare their young to be released into this wild and unpredictable world. I believe that motherhood is serious WORK and the most important WORK there is. (Which is one of the reasons I decided not to have children - because I didn't think I was cut out for the most important work there is.) I so love that you said feminism was about choice. It surely is. The movement has come a long way, and for us to continue making the world a better place by emphasising the importance of THE FEMININE, we have to bond together as women who've made our own choices. We have to respect each other's choices and revel in the fact that we have been able to make them. And we have to keep the faith and continue to work for respect for the feminine on a global basis, realizing that so many girls and women are still considered property, live under slavery and abuse, and have aboslutley NO CHOISE. Thank you for writing this.

Roy Darby Aug 23, 2017 12:22am

One tiny correction: the judging dimension on the MBTI does not imply "judgmental. Rather, it suggests that the profile is one who prefers the conclusion versus the process. Thus, "J" people tend to be "bottom line" people as opposed to those who prefer to consider all the possibilities before making decisions. "P" people like to leave things open.

Clementina Labinjo Aug 22, 2017 9:43pm

Hi Kenni I really enjoyed this read, but detected a little justifying your choice to stay at home, it's wonderful. You are a little hard on you. I wasn't blesssed with children but I have made up for it I have 29 on my caseload, I too work in Social Services so I consider myself blessed. Being a Mother is the hardest job in the world, there are no books out there instucting you on what to do, well your doing it, your staying home with your son in his formative years, you go yummy Mummy.

Petrus van der Bol Aug 22, 2017 9:42pm

Love it! What's more 'feminist' than being the primary shaper of a new life formed within and safely delivered from out of your own body? Especially in those early years when they first learn what love really is. If one is able to, what a wonderful choice. And any degree of freedom from any form of judgementalism is profoundly liberating. Most people really are just trying to do their best with the tools they have. Let's keep expanding our toolboxes and help others to do the same. Blessings on you. Sandra van der Petrus van der Bol

Debrah L. Roemisch Aug 22, 2017 8:37pm

Good article though I would say it is sad that you bought into the patriarchal idea that babies should be sleeping in their own rooms by themselves. parents lives would be so much easier if we followed the way of all of our ancestors and kept our babies right next to us--nurse and go right back to sleep and everyone sleeps better.

Linda Lewis Aug 22, 2017 8:07pm

Kenni Psenak Linden I live in Canada, so here also things are sane. Social democracy is compassionate toward all citizens, giving everyone--women, minorities etc.--a fair chance to succeed.

Kenni Psenak Linden Aug 22, 2017 8:01pm

So true Linda! My husband is from Belfast, N. Ireland and we discuss our lack here of paid parental leave and single payer healthcare all the time. We love Alaska, but sometimes moving to Ireland makes more sense financially and socially.

Linda Lewis Aug 22, 2017 7:36pm

Social democracy would give you 6 months leave with the option to return to your former job. You'd have health care already. You'd have more choice. It's ridiculous and embarassing that the richest country in the world does not provide such basic rights that are widely enjoyed in European countries. Being a mother is wonderful. It is more than a full time job--wheather you stay at home or return to work. The love and responsibility for that young dependent being is always there. You raise great questions. Bernie Sanders had great answers. May someone pick up Bernie's baton and defeat Lord Voldermort, I mean #45; OK, I'll say it--may someone pleeease trump Trump!

Nicoletta de Simone Aug 22, 2017 6:41pm

ok :)

Holly Dean Aug 22, 2017 6:39pm

I don't know, should it, though? I don't think I should be paid for cleaning my house or keeping my garden, or raising my family. It's not a "job". It's called.. living. My spouse should receive a decent salary so that a small family only requires one parent to work (core problem IMO). In my humble opinion the support should come in that way; fathers/working parent should be paid for the work they do. So men are undervalued too, obviously. The feminine is at the same "height". The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world. That's priceless. I personally don't feel like I need money waving in my face for what I do to be able stand in my own power. Just thinking outloud I guess.

Kenni Psenak Linden Aug 22, 2017 4:54pm

Great point Hilary. We all could use a little more authenticity and honesty in our Facebook feeds. <3

Nicoletta de Simone Aug 22, 2017 4:09pm

Thanks for this article, Kenni. Mi feminism is very different from yours, but I also believe in mom's salaries, we should be paid for staying at home and gestate, and give birth, and breast feed etcetera. Feminine work should be paid equally. This will bring the feminine at the same height as the masculine in the world.

Lora Laffan Aug 22, 2017 4:04pm

Well said. Two things really speak to me here. First, Kenni speaks of what a privilege it is to be an at-home mom right now, in this sweet formative time for her little one. And that it's a choice, and a very important one. I often think I would have loved to stay home with my babies, for a while, but it was not a choice, economically. And second (maybe third?), about assumptions. We all have them, and they all change as we experience life ups & downs. By admitting we do, we can look beyond into why and go from there!

Hilary Easton Aug 22, 2017 3:58pm

Great article. As a feminist of 65 years, when I had my first child I knew I would not be working full time again for some years. I was lucky that my husband was just as enthusiastic a parent as I, and not ambitious to have a fabulous careet The result that we both worked part time and were hands-on parents and really enjoyed it until all three were at 'big school'. I don't say this is for everyone. You are right in saying choice is the important thing. I am sorry to hear you were one of those judgemental feminists who wanted to impose your particular brand of feminism on others - and very glad you have seen the light! One thing I want to point out, though, is this sentence: 'No one sees that when I post smiley happy photos of my family on Facebook. No one witnessed the moment I cried myself to sleep ...' I think this is a big problem too, trying to present a perfect image to your friends is isolating for them and for you. Why don't we be honest on facebook? Normally, when you share a bit about your trials and tribulations (without constantly whining but maybe with some humour), I venture to say your friends will react positively.