6.6
October 14, 2017

25 Quotes to Soothe your Inner Weirdo.

Ever since I could form my own thoughts and understand what people around me were saying, I always remember being labeled “different,” “eccentric,” or the ever-popular “someone who just marches to the beat of her own drum.”

While all of these statements are true, there were times they made me feel self-conscious—like a weird black sheep just trying to fit in somewhere. And sure, it’s probably easier to fit in, but I highly doubt it’s as much fun as standing out.

So, here are 25 quotes to encourage the weirdness in us—and to remind us that everyone needs a black sheep in their life:

1. “Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you never know who could love the person you hide.” ~ C.S. Lewis

2. “There is no beauty without some strangeness.” ~ Edgar Allen Poe

3. “What makes you weird or different, that’s your strength.” ~ Meryl Streep

4. “You’ll turn out ordinary if you’re not careful.” ~ Ann Brashares

5. “She dances to the songs in her head, speaks with the rhythm of her heart, and loves from the depths of her soul.” ~ Dean Jackson

6. “Maybe it’s just in America, but it seems that if you’re passionate about something, it freaks people out. You’re considered bizarre or eccentric. To me, it just means you know who you are.” ~ Tim Burton

7. “Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual.” ~ Ernest Hemingway

8. “Be daring. Be different. Be impractical. Be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers. The creatures of the commonplace. The slaves of the ordinary.” ~ Cecil Beaton

9. “No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” ~ Aristotle

10. “Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.” ~ Morticia Addams

11. “I hope to arrive to my death late, in love, and a little drunk.” ~ Atticus

12. “To be successful, your focus has to be so intense that others think you’re crazy.” ~ Kim Orlesky

13. “If you don’t fit in, then you’re probably doing the right thing.” ~ Unknown

14. “Just keep moving forward, and don’t give a sh*t what anybody thinks.” ~ Johnny Depp

15. “Stop trying to explain yourself. People only understand things from their level of perception—within the parameters of their agreement with reality.” ~ Steve Maraboli

16. “It is ever so beautiful to be strange. To do things differently than others. To see things in a rare light. To me, that is such a gold to carry.” ~ Christopher Poindexter

17. “But darling, we weren’t given this wild soul just to merely exist. Our mission is to shake up this world, turn it upside down, and show our fellow humans the difference between breathing and being fully alive.” ~ Unknown

18. “There are parts of me that will always remain untameable, messy, and reckless; but I refuse to apologize for it anymore.” ~ Kaitlin Fester

19. “Be brave. Be wild. And stay forever hungry for art, love, knowledge, and adventure.” ~ Erin Van Vuren

20. “I’m with the dirty mouth girls. The ones with bare feet, brilliant minds, messy hair, wild hearts, and feisty spirits. The ones who aren’t afraid to speak up and who live for doing what they’ve been told is impossible.” ~ Brooke Hampton

21. “She accepts your compliments on her face, her hair, and her body graciously—and she is, indeed, beautiful. But she is only moved when you notice the beauty of her spirit.” ~ Allaisia Hanan

22. “If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your sh*t, then you deserve it.” ~ Frank Zappa

23. “I will not be another flower, picked for my beauty and left to die. I will be wild, difficult to find, and impossible to forget.” ~ Erin Van Vuren

24. “Normality is a paved road: it’s comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow.” ~ Vincent van Gogh

25. “She was one of the rare ones, so effortlessly herself, and the world loved her for it.” ~ Atticus

~

Relephant:

27 Adventure Quotes to Ignite our Wild Hearts.

Nobody Wants You To Read These Quotes: They Set You Free from Being Brainwashed.

~

Author: Emily Cutshaw
Image: Film still

Editor: Yoli Ramazzina
Copy editor: Callie Editor
Social editor: Waylon Lewis

Bonus:

The Simple Buddhist Trick to being Happy.

The Introvert Myth: How to Deal with being an Empath.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

Cognitive Behavioral Teamwork Oct 17, 2018 1:21am

I've read a lot of CS Lewis and this didn't sound right. https://www.narniaweb.com/2017/08/watch-out-for-these-fake-c-s-lewis-quotes/

Frank Zeeman Oct 17, 2017 9:42am

Thank you for sharing! https://www.guardian-angel-reading.com/free-angel-reading

Georgina Georges Oct 17, 2017 1:36am

At last my happiness and joy has been restored through this email [email protected] as my husband who left me for another girl has finally come back good and still lovely to me , i want to use this time to give thanks to Dr Okojie who has use his love spell and prayers to bring back my ex lover and also share little about my rough story between me and my husband and the other girls , i got married to the man i love Sanchez June 23 2013 and we have been together ever since and we have lived happily, we both have a daughter , but this year 2017 when he traveled to new York on a business, things changed even when he was away he never called to say hi to me and my daughter and this was unlikely of him, because he loves our daughter to sky , so i began to suspect something wasn't right, but i waited for him to return to me in Canada, so i know what the problems was, only for Sanchez to come back asking for divorce, at first i thought he was joking , but with time i saw he was so serious on this, i tried to plead with him but nothing changed , i called my mom telling her about the situation and she said i should pray about it , i was depressed and devastated on this issues and was praying and looking for help to stop the divorce and save my marriage, i seeked help with many persons non could help , i continue with the search of help because i knew and have the feelings my man was not on his right senses because i know the man i married can never ask me for a divorce, so i kept on looking for solutions i spent almost all my savings seeking solution , until Juliana a colleague told me about Dr Okojie of [email protected], i never wanted to email him because many has taken money from me without giving me any good results, but when he gave her words about Dr Okojie i decided to give it a trial , contacted him and told him about myself , he told me that he will have me to make my husband stop the divorce and reunite us again , that he gave me three days after which everything will be back to it normal place for good , i did some few things he said i should do as instructed , and let him do his work i was at work on the 15th of July about 10 AM when i received letter from my husband that my husband has cancelled the divorce case and same day at about 12 noon my husband wrote me a sweet text , and this was how me and my husband came back and today we are better as one family , so i want to use this means to tell you all. contact Dr Okojie for any kind of relationship or marriage problems and i let him solve it for you just as he has done for me. you can also contact him if you are unable to bear children!. , his contacts Email; [email protected]

Leigh Hawker Oct 17, 2017 12:44am

It is the website essential C.S Lewis' view that the 1st quote was not written by C. S Lewis, that is to say it is a miss quote. http://www.essentialcslewis.com/2016/12/03/ccslq-30-be-weird-be-random/

Nelson Eulalio Oct 17, 2017 12:32am

F. Nietzsche

Tim Dibble Oct 15, 2017 3:06pm

Those who danced were oft thought insane by those who couldn’t hear the music.

Read Elephant’s Best Articles of the Week here.
Readers voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares:
Click here to see which Writers & Issues Won.

Emily Cutshaw

Emily Cutshaw is a young 20s, self proclaimed free thinker. In her free time, she enjoys writing short stories and poetry, hiking, and following her most recent desire of the day in question. She is currently pursuing a degree in Creative Writing and hopes to join the Peace Corps upon completing college. Connect with Emily on Facebook and Instagram.