50 Joyful Reflections to help Fearful Times.
First, the situation:
We know we are currently living in uncertain times.
We have no idea what our world is going to be like once we come through this global pandemic.
We know we have not yet reached that peak—and we don’t know when we will.
We know that life will no longer be the same once we emerge from our collective hibernation.
Since arriving back home last month from my Indian travels, these unavoidable truths have been causing me (like almost everyone else) anxiety.
In truth, the last few days I have been living in fear. Fear of the unknown is a common human experience, and right now there is more than enough to go around.
So, today, I do not wish to contribute to that—instead, let’s focus on joy.
This morning I woke with an overwhelming sense that I need to remember all the beautiful offerings this planet and this human experience provide for us. So I was grateful to recall that while healing from burn-out, deep in the middle of a 5-week Panchakarma in an Indian ashram, I took the time to contemplate what truly brings me joy.
Joy. Such a simple emotion. Yet, perhaps due to its simplicity, it’s an emotion that can easily be overlooked and taken for granted. We often only appreciate it once it has left us.
Many things can bring us joy. In fact, as I discovered at the ashram—and again this morning—even reflecting on what brings us joy, brings us joy!
So, in no particular order, here are 50 little things that bring me joy.
- Smiling at a stranger, and having them smile back
- Frolicking in the water like a delighted, carefree child
- Journaling in a favourite café, or in nature
- Yoga, meditation, kirtan
- Enjoying a good book or film
- Close friends confiding in me about, say, pregnancy, a new job, moving in with their partner
- Sunsets over the ocean
- Scuba diving…especially with my family
- Feeling supported
- A well-made coconut latté
- Stunning photography. I’m partial to moody landscapes and any scene with the ocean
- Ecstatic dance
- The smell of rain
- The promise of a new relationship
- My beautiful, inquisitive cat, Bijoux
- Swimming and sunning at a secluded beach
- Connected kissing and love making
- Long conversations with dear friends
- Crystals and Tibetan singing bowls
- The airplane taking off…and touching down
- Loving my body and listening to her needs
- Laughing until I’m crying
- Delicious food and wine (champagne anyone?!) shared with great company
- The full moon
- Experiencing new cultures
- Watching my parents’ puppy running at the beach, then falling all over herself into the water!
- Sending (and receiving) postcards
- Making new like-minded friends
- Educational podcasts
- Celebrating individual progression with my clients
- Hot showers with coconut shampoo…or better yet, long bubble baths!
- Philosophical conversations with my brother
- Quiet time alone, taking time out to re-set
- Beach walks under the stars
- Forest bathing
- Big comfy beds with lots of pillows
- The freedom music can awaken within me
- Getting dressed up: heels, lipstick, killer dress
- Mountain hiking and the well-earned view at the top
- The feeling after expanding my comfort zone
- Scented candles
- A great new hair cut
- Puja ceremonies
- Finding love notes hidden in my books
- Fireworks. Guaranteed to bring out my inner 5-year-old with squeals of laughter!
- Pleasure shivers
So there you have it. 50 kernels of joy.
When we experience joy, it is impossible to be caught up in fear at the same time. So I hope that by reading this, you have been encouraged to reflect on what brings you a sense of pleasure and happiness.
Now, if you feel called to, I invite you to journal your own list.
Go slowly, take your time, and allow yourself to drop into each joyful memory as you do so. En-joy!
Feel free to share any with me in the comments below—I would love to hear what brings you joy!