View this post on Instagram
What does Spirituality mean?
Everyone relates to spirituality in different ways, but it ultimately revolves around the deepest values and meanings by which we aim to live our lives.
There is no widely agreed definition of spirituality as ideas of both traditional and contemporary spirituality have evolved over time.
When we think of spirituality, we often think of religion. Religion is a specific set of organised beliefs and practices, usually shared by a community or a group, whereas spirituality is more of an individual practice associated with having a sense of inner peace and purpose.
Although there are differences between religion and spirituality, they do share similarities as both go beyond the belief of a purely materialistic world, in the journey to discover one’s inner essence and a connection to something bigger than themselves.
Why are people turning to a more spiritual way of life?
As our responsibilities grow as we transition from childhood to adulthood, we can often lose our spiritual connection to the world around us and within us and our senses and intuition almost become muted.
The benefits of the connection between spiritual and emotional well-being are becoming ever more significant as we become consumed by day-to-day pressures and responsibilities and influences from technology and media. We are all seeking some form of meaningful connection with our inner and outer world. For some, that may be a spiritual connection through which we can cultivate and nurture positive emotions and a healthier state of mind.
Especially in these turbulent times, our mental and emotional focus is shifting more toward the quality of the human spirit as opposed to material or physical things. Turning to a more spiritual life can give us time to make sense of the confusion or intensity around is in our everyday lives.
By introducing spiritual practices into our everyday lives, we can work toward becoming more spiritually aware of our surroundings and the people around us.
How can I be more spiritual?
Whatever your spiritual pathway, we are all working toward the same outcome: improving our physical, emotional, and spiritual health. By incorporating a few spiritual practices into our everyday lives, we can benefit from the positive correlation between spirituality and mental well-being, as we look to create a balance between the physical things we need in life with the spiritual in these modern times.
1. Meditate. Whether it is five minutes or 30 minutes, meditation can help you become more centered and grounded. Giving yourself time to declutter your mind and visualise what you want out of life rather than what you don’t want can help relieve stress and anxiety, help you sleep better, and improve your connection with your physical and spiritual self as well as the world around you.
2. Embrace the unknown. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow! Life happens for us, not to us. The challenges we face at times may be tough, but reflecting on the lessons life teaches us, good or bad can help us on our path to spiritual growth.
3. Reconnect with nature. Align your spiritual energies with Mother Nature and disconnect from technology and information overload. Absorb your surroundings and appreciate the subtle things in nature, helping you to put life’s challenges into perspective. Why not write down your hopes and dreams on some paper, plant it with a seed in a pot and watch your positive affirmations grow!
4. Practice mindfulness. Live your life to its fullest in the present moment. You’ll become more aware of who you are and your connection to the people and the world around you.
5. Be open to the universe. Make a cosmic request! The universe is willing to give you everything that you want in life. Place an order with the universe and wait for it to manifest. The idea is that our spirits will connect to the universe and return our unconscious desires.
6. Be thankful. Practice love and forgiveness. Make sure what you do each day comes from a place of sincerity and honesty. Write down in a journal what you are thankful for, think it, or say it aloud.
Are you ready for a spiritual awakening?
We are all looking to connect to something higher than ourselves. Free yourself from fear, pay attention to your self-worth, raise your positive vibrations, and connect with your true spiritual self.
By reflecting on and revitalising your inner spiritual world, you can boost yourself with the positive energies and fresh confidence needed to reconnect to something greater than yourself in these especially turbulent times.