Relationships can be incredible—but they can also be hard work.
And, to be honest, it’s not always work we can be bothered to do. One hack is making sure you’re inspired to take action. That way, you can experience that spark, that unconditional support and loving energy, even when the going gets tough.
Below are 10 quotes on keeping a relationship alive, with prompts and questions to help you take practical steps toward a happier relationship or marriage.
Because no inspiration can change things—unless you take practical action.
Quotes on keeping a relationship alive (Part 1):
1. “You can’t just give up on someone because the situation’s not ideal. Great relationships aren’t great because they have no problems. They’re great because both people care enough about the other person to find a way to make it work.” ~ Unknown
Question: How can you and your partner begin working to resolve your issues?
2. “Do what you did in the beginning of a relationship, and there won’t be an end.” ~ Unknown
Question: What’s something you and your partner did previously that you don’t any longer? Remind yourself to start again.
3. “Shared joy is a double joy; shared sorrow is half a sorrow.” ~ Swedish Proverb
Question: The next time your partner is sad or frustrated, what can you do to support them?
4. “Relationships don’t always make sense. Especially from the outside.” ~ Sarah Dessen
Question: Take a moment to reflect on the start of your relationship—is there anything the two of you shared (like a joke or silly memory) that no one else would have understood? Try sharing this again!
5. “The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.” ~ Nat King Cole
Question: What’s one way you demonstrate love?
6. “A relationship is like a house. When a light bulb burns out you do not go and buy a new house, you fix the light bulb.” ~ Bernajoy Vaal
Question: If things are difficult with your partner right now, think of three reasons you want to continue working on your relationship, and try to remember them each time you want to give up.
7. “You are my favorite notification.” ~ Unknown
Prompt: A good way to keep your relationship exciting is to do something spontaneous and unusual. The next time you are both at home, text them a sweet message letting them know how much you care about them or that you think they’re sexy. This seemingly small gesture might surprise you both with its impact—even though you’re both in the same place together.
8. “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ~ Carl Jung
Question: What’s something you find annoying about your partner, and what does that reveal about your preferences or character?
9. “Even the strongest feelings expire when ignored and taken for granted.” ~ Unknown
Question: What’s something you can both do each day to show that you appreciate each other?
10. “Love is a game that two can play and both can win.” ~ Eva Gabor
Prompt: The next time you and your partner find yourselves in an argument, take a moment to forget who or what started it and instead, focus on working together to solve the problem.
Read part two here.