How to Celebrate one’s Birthday in the Buddhist Tradition.

Via on Oct 21, 2008

Click here for photo credit.

Particularly if you grew up in the Shambhala Buddhist tradition, please comment below and add some info or ideas—I did my best but am not known for my memory.

~

In the Buddhist tradition, our birth-day is considered a particularly important, spiritually-powerful day. It’s considered important to mark it, and mark it properly—with a sense of appreciation, sadness, poignancy…and celebration.

Growing up in an American Buddhist family, my ma would always start the day the good ol’fashioned American way—with an embarrassing, sweet, love-ful waking me up and singing the whole song to me while, embarrassed and touched, I rubbed my eyes and sat up in bed so she could put down the yummy breakfast-in-bed tray she’d prepared.

I think that’s important—not to get too conceptual about “how-to-celebrate-one’s-birthday-in-spiritual-manner,” but to remember that basically you’re marking the occasion of the first lighting of the little brilliant fragile flame that is your life. And, of course, the day serves as a poignant reminder that this endless cycle of sun and moon, week and weekend, seasons upon seasons…isn’t so endless. This life is short—why, just yesterday I was a boy. Now (technically, if not emotionally) I’m a man.

birthday sadhana buddhist sakyong "samadhi cushions"

The Elixir of Life:  A Birthday Practice: “Upon rising in the morning, prepare saffron water, which represents purity and the Great Eastern Sun…”  So begins Sakyong Mipham’s short sadhana written to be performed on one’s birthday. It makes a great birthday present.

My teacher, Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche, wrote the Elixir of Life Birthday Sadhana [sadhana=song, like a hymn or chant one does to remind oneself of important spiritual truths]. So, as instructed, I start my every birthday by sitting down in front of my Buddhist shrine, ringing the gong three times to start the day, lighting candles and incense, and chanting out the Sadhana (the details of which are all about remembering the preciousness of this short, brilliant life—check the actual text, which is public and available to all).

You don’t have to do any of the above if you’re not Buddhist—the main point is to have a small area of one’s home where you can meditate or pray, and have a few pictures and perhaps candles, incense, gong, to help establish an altar (cardboard box with cloth over it, if you like) that can serve as a personal place of focus for you. Don’t go nuts on decorations—no crystals, no photos of family—keep it simple, simple.

So meditate for a few minutes, then contemplate—a focused, deliberate sort of thinking—your life. Think about what it’s for, and where it’s been, and where you might have gone off the path of being genuine and trying to be helpful to yourself, to others, and to our fragile planet. Don’t waste much time in regret, which Trungpa Rinpoche said was a valuable emotion but one that you “should only spend three seconds on” after making a mistake. Think about where you’re going, how short your life is and what it is for (“benefiting all sentient beings, including oneself” is a good place to start if you’re coming up empty).

Then, celebrate the day with your community—genuine friends and close family. Presents, cake, it’s all to the good.

*One final note: Chogyam Trungpa always had everyone sing “Cheerful Birthday,” not “Happy Birthday,” saying that Happiness was a state of mind that had Sadness or Unhappiness on its flip side. Cheerfulness, he said, better described a fundamental way or attitude of being. So, growing up in the Buddhist tradition, we always sang Cheerful Birthday to you... Either way is great, as long as you consider that you’re not wishing a temporary state of being based on circumstances—but rather that the you may truly continue to become friends with oneself.

Bonus:

And the all-time classic:

About Waylon Lewis

23 Responses to “How to Celebrate one’s Birthday in the Buddhist Tradition.”

1. Abby says:

At the risk of sounding completely cheese, my favorite mindful thing to do on my birthday is to write letters to the most important people in my life telling them why they mean so much to me. For years I expected things/cards/presents to come to me–but I was always disappointed because it was never enough or too insignificant or too rushed. I finally realized that it made me feel better to do it the other way around–I was the one, after all, who was in self-reflective mode, so why not take advantage by telling the folks in my life how much I love them?

2. elephant journal admin says:

Right! A good quote for Birthdayness might be Marianne Williamson's:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

3. Lindsey Wolf lindsey says:

With birthdays, I’m all about mixing sacred with the profane. Waylon shared a good description of his tradition. It’s important to find whatever works for you in remembering the divine nature of one’s life, it’s unique course and how you are a special being. All too often we go through parts of our lives feeling small, and birthdays are such a way of remembrance of our awesomeness. I too like to spend some time alone on my birthday. And then, just be joyful! This past year after moments of gratitude and reflection all day, I closed with some serious karaoke.

4. Suzanne says:

1. Celebrate your precious human birth.
    2. Call your mother, if she lives, and thank her for having you.

5. alan says:

To a Buddhist, his or her birthday is to be remembered as his/her mother's suffering day!

6. linda says:

very timely…my birthday is in a few weeks…thanks!

7. a.h.biswas says:

Peace & Compassion Everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Pat says:

I have been looking for the Elixir of Life Birthday Sadhana and cannot find it unless I want to purchase it from Shambala. Why is this? Shouldn't it be made public? Why all the secrecy?

• elephantjournal says:

I think it was written specifically for Shambhala Buddhist practitioners. It's not secret, it's just like a college textbook for a particular group in that curriculum.

• elephantjournal says:

Update, my bad: this is actually a fully public text as per the Shambhala media office. So practice away! ~ Waylon

• Nyima Wimberly says:

Hi, Pat.
      This text is currently public. You can buy it at http://www.shambhalamedia.org. It may have not been more widely available at some point -I don’t know- but it is absolutely public now. Enjoy!!

9. Padma Kadag says:

Happy Birthday Waylon….Birthday Cake!!! When it comes to blowing out the candles…blow them out in the traditional american way or you can not blow them out…either take them off the cake and allow them to burnout on their own or snuff them out by fanning with a paper. "Blowing" them out…I hear shortens one life…in a buddhist sense. They are a light offering in the same spirit as a butter lamp afterall. Though we should enjoy our traditions however we choose. This is sort of an approach Martha Stewart would use if she were buddhist…maybe. Cheers!

10. Blake Wilson Blake says:

Normally I just get drunk but this is way better!

I kid, I kid! It's nice to hear how others celebrate their birthdays. I never set up a ritual for it but perhaps this year will be different.

11. victoria says:

Hi, thanks for thsi post, it was really helpful. I like the simple yet touching ideas!

12. Nyima says:

Waylon, the birthday sadhana can be bought by anyone. No initiation is required. It may have been different in the past, but these are certainly available to everyone interested now.
    In case anyone wants to buy this practice, here is the link to do so:
    I love this practice too. I hosted a 60 birthday celebration for my father a few weeks ago and we did this practice. He had never heard of it and was delighted by it.
    Cheerful birthday!
    -Nyima

13. Cheerful birthday to ME!, my birthday is Monday. I will be 61 years on this planet. I like "cheerful birthday". Great idea.

14. Satyva says:

Alas, I am entirely too poor to purchase anything but food on top of paying my bills. I don't see that changing anytime soon, so unfortunately I will be unable to use this on my upcoming April 6th birthday. It's all about money all the time isn't it?

15. SunshineYogi says:

Hi Waylon:
    Are you sure the Elixir of Life: Birthday Sadhana is in the public domain? Your link goes to the Shambhala website so that it can be ordered, but the words are no where to be found. Help!