Via on Mar 30, 2009

eco yoga mat prana anusara friend

The other day, I posted my second article in a series on “This is what Effective Advertising Looks Like.” In it, I talked about how prAna, the eco-minded yoga/climbing apparel and gear company, was doing a great job in connecting with its demographic…that is, its people. As their tagline goes, it helps if your products are “born from the experience.”

Here’s a followup via Youtube, on their “Revolution,” a new eco yoga mat that’s super-sticky (according to no less an authority than Mr. John Friend, founder of Anusara yoga). Beyond giving Manduka’s eKo yoga mat a vinyasa for your green dollars, this nice n’wide mat is presented to the world not via a conventional print or even flash web ad, but a video.

Better yet, this video is less a commercial that a work of art. It’s—imagine—actually fun and inspiring to watch. It touches on the practicality and magic of asana practice. It evokes the opening and closing credits of, say, O Brother Where Art Thou while simultaneously being hip, modern, fun, detailed. And best of all they’re walking their talk, offering a green mat in lieu of the PVC toxic landfill-clogging alternatives most of us still practice on.

Video:

I’m in love. If, after watching, you are too—and you find yourself in the Boulder area—then be sure to stop by our Spring Ecofashion show, featuring prAna among others, at our next talk showJohn Friend just confirmed he’ll be there.

About Waylon Lewis

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

62 Responses to “The prAna Revolution yoga mat will be televised, with John Friend. Eco, sticky, wide.”

1. erin bouche kennedy says:

wow. what a beautiful production. so many layers in this video.
    makes me want to get out there and practice. i own a revolution mat and i LOVE it!

2. christy says:

This really is different and exceptional, much like this video. The mat gives so much space and stability – two key factors for an open and balanced practice. I love mine! Plus, knowing you are really doing something good for the external and internal environment alike is a very great thing. The artistry of this video inspires us all to live our lives, both on and off the mat, more poetically!

3. patricia says:

Art. You are right. That was beautiful. I want to try a Revolution!

4. Kimmie says:

I am delighted to own the mat. And because of MY mat, they are popping up here in Southwest Harbor, Maine! This mat shows that experience begats experience begats experience.

And that is the HIPPEST video I ever saw. Really. (Well, since I turned 50.)

5. Scott says:

I love the video. I love the mat. Extra wide is better.

6. Pete_Dooley says:

This video draws you in. So well timed. everyone is so skilled it is hard to discern if the mat is making the difference. Uplifting.

7. Allison says:

Wow looks incredible. I want one!

8. Kristen says:

Glad to see we have perfected the mat. I can't wait to get one. Just awesome…..

9. steph davis says:

it may seem odd to be so excited about a yoga mat. but it truly is that awesome!!!

10. Ben Cote says:

Wonderful video… awesome visual layers with great music as well. the aesthetic of the whole thing tied in really well to the product. very well done!

11. ACFRI says:

This does like totally dope, but I'd feel self conscious being the only one in the room with a big fat mat.

12. Peter says:

This new mat is truly a new invention! Stable, Firm, sticky–SHAKTI filled!!!!!!!!!!
    this video deserves an award. this is so much not a movie but a piece of art. much like the revolution mat.
    awesome collaboration prAna and Anusara!!!!!!

13. michael says:

remember when—after ten thousand years of carrying stuff around—luggage manufacturers finally started putting little wheels on our luggage? the revolution mat feels like that. it isn't just wider, it's sticky and firm and eco-friendly (and after a few days it does smell a little bit like chocolate!) way to go Prana and John Friend! keep the innovations coming

14. MOd says:

Makes me want to buy a revolution mat and practice everyday.

15. Jane says:

I look forward to starting my own revolution with this mat. I've had the chance to play on one – despite it's thinness, it gives really good cushioning for the knees. This video is really cool – so much beauty in such a small package.

16. Samanthea says:

Ahhhh… Room to groove, like breath a fresh air. Sweet video of friends, One mat we can all live with.
    Revolution is here. What an inspiration! Thank you prAna and Anusara.

17. Andra says:

Great video. I want one too!

18. Pearl says:

can't wait to try it. beautiful cinemaphotography!

19. Jon says:

Sound almost as good as a sticky bun, a cup of coffee and a cigarette – Now that's my kind of yoga! Beautiful video, thick rich and complex.

20. courtney says:

the graphic collages, expert editing, retro film footage and heartful, authentic imagery and humans merge with beautiful artistry to make a very original and potent piece of marketing…

21. choo choo says:

This is an inspiring film, always makes me feel like I am a member of the prana community when I see media like this. As a climber and a yogi, I am always impressed with Prana gear. This film evokes the true spirit of the prana and anusara communities. Go for the greatest things in you!

22. nancyatthebeach says:

This is such an amazing and artistic video! It truly captures the spirit behind the mat. It makes me proud to do Anusara Yoga!!

23. scott says:

beautiful production and an inspired product. Looking forward to practicing with the Revolution…

24. Tina says:

LoveLoveLove the video! I own the mat too and it's great to not be crowded in class…I have my own space now ~ plus it's eco friendly which is the only way to go!:)

25. choo choo says:

This is an inspiring film, and reminds me while I always feel part of the Prana community. Over the years, as a climber and a yogi, I have always been able to count on Prana gear. The artistry and playfullness exhibited in this ad, tells me that the revolution is here. : )

26. daily D says:

after watching that video I've decided to use my orange revolution mat as a table cloth for candle light dinners and the green one I might just get framed to hang on the wall as artananda

27. Jeanne says:

What a beautiful and inspiring video – a reminder of so many of the reasons I practice yoga. Now the only thing I'm missing is a Revolution mat!

28. scottthehut says:

simply beautiful work! SO glad for more space finally in a well crafted product thanks to all

29. Jenaí Longstaff says:

This video is phenomenal.
    The colors, the sound, the movement, the beauty, the articulation, the prowess; it all blows me away.
    The Revolution mat is simply fantastic; the best there is.

30. Faisal ul-Haq says:

Once again you will be glad you weren't tripping.

31. Roxanne Rhodes says:

This video is rich with artistic expression and cleverness. A delight to watch again and again. It creates a compelling urge to own a Revolution mat.

32. Jai Zeta says:

Love this! After watching, i fealt an amazing feeling in my body …and wanted to be on one of those mats!!! Still do!!! Incredible audio mixing as well!!! Looking forward to more!

33. yogatoga435 says:

I just love this fun video, almost as much as I love my new Revolution mat. Everything about it is just fantastic!

34. Jenn Waters says:

I own a REVOLUTION mat and also sell them at ECOTOPIIA (an environmentally conscious store) in Encinitas, CA…. every person who makes this purchase comes back and says "its the best mat ever and its transformed their practice…" who would have thought just having a better canvas would allow the art and practice to be equally revolutionized. Thanks to the innovators, creators and all the past mats who have paved the way for such a revolution to be born!

35. Got a Goat to Go says:

What a great video! The creator has a gift. He undoubtedly could make a commerical about a phonebook compelling to watch. My favorite part is how the guy doing the back-bend move at the end was perfectly aligned with the circular images flashing on the screen. He reminded me of Darren Rhodes, a Yogi from Tucson who is lighting the yoga world on fire.

36. chad henry says:

I'm the grinch on this whole thing. I really hate commercializing yoga, no matter how fab the presentation. Friend is an entrepreneur and has been very clever and smart marketing his anus-ara yoga and products and teacher training. Makes me want to run in the other direction.

37. Dave says:

The dimensions of this mat have made a palpable difference in my Asana practice. Thank you.

38. James Gilbert says:

At 6'3", traditional mats made me feel like I was small and shrinking back. I got turned onto the Revolution and now my practice has immediately expanded! Funny how I was literally bound to a mat during practice. Love the video, concept, production and verve that DK, the JF community and Mr. Milo have presented, voila!

39. craig henry says:

The mat is $90.00. Most mats are about $20.

40. Rich Van Every says:

This Mat will last three times that of a $20 mat. More importantly it serves as an investment for our future by being a mindful consumer and Yogi while supporting companies that care. A job well done to support the evolution of the Yoga mat from the crew at prAna that are connected and conscious- therefore exposing this product in an artistic way and soulful way.

41. clariss says:

That is one hi-tech piece of mat.

42. Jenn Waters says:

When you test drive a REVOLUTION you should try Hanuman pose cuz its the only mat that doesn't stick to your foot when coming out of the pose… a mat that serves you, your practice and the planet!

43. Rachel says:

I love my Revolution mat. And this video is so beautiful; the music and exquisite aesthetic are profoundly moving. WOW!

44. Juliana Glassman says:

innovation, sustainability, entrepreneurship, art.. DARREN moving from handstand to urdhva dhanurasana.. i love it.. miss you guys!!

45. [...] The prAna Revolution yoga mat will be televised, with John Friend. Eco, sticky, wide. [...]

46. Peter Trefren says:

I really enjoy my Revolution mat and this beauiful presentation is a great tribute to the spirit that went into developing it.

47. Go Tsanyo Moat says:

Cool video, it'd be even cooler if this Revolution was also available on a sliding scale…

48. jai james says:

I just love the Revolution mat, I wish some one would buy me one/two actually so I can have both colors and more personal space;)

49. Rebecca says:

RADDDDDICAL!!! in all the right ways………amazing……..I'm super inspired by this video – beautiful production…….award winning really……….Good job MiLo, Darren and John – representing excellence always and in all ways.

50. Linda says:

Wonderful mat, wonderful music!