Top 10 Yoga Tweeters on Twitter – Updated.

Via on Feb 19, 2010

yoga twitter lululemon

Photo above via brilliant apt Lululemon ad

Best Yoga Twitter UPDATED February 15 by Waylon Lewis.

I’ve now been on Twitter for five fifteen months. It took me the first few months—until I started using Tweetdeck (advice and link here)—to get Twitter. Up to then, I figured it was yet another speedy-world distraction.

Now, it’s now an integral part of my business. With more than 13,000 followers and an incessant stream of mindful drivel, @elephantjournal‘s been named to 15 19 top national lists, won the national twitter Shorty Award in #Green (sorry, @algore) for 2009, and twitter has enabled us make countless immediate connections.

Ironically, this most virtual of mediums has given me a daily sense of community, good friends, and perhaps mostly invaluably, dialogue with those I disagree with.

For those not yet bitten by the bird, Twitter’s a great, free way of networking, sharing, learning about cool things…great for individuals, great for small businesses, great for community and finding out about local specials and such. But it’s all about consistency—a quality many of our original faves have lacked over the long haul.

I can personally recommend that you follow the yoga twits below. And if you would like to be followed, just add your Twitter id (@blanketyblank) in the Comments section in the bottom.

0. yours truly, @elephantjournal, focuses on “the mindful life” generally. So while we’re not really a top yoga yoga yoga tweeter, we do offer some good fun interesting interviews, articles…most recently an interview at our Walk the Talk Show with John Friend of Anusara, an article about Yoga for Basketball, and a review of a yoga DVD for plus size yogis and yoginis.

Okay, on your mats, get set, breathe…

twitter deepak chopra yoga

1. @yogadork is fun, personal, serious, and she knows and cares about yoga and community.

2. @anusarafriend is John Friend himself! His tweets are rare but not too rare, and they’re always full of wisdom and poetry.

3. I like @yoga_journal, though they don’t tweet half as much as they used to, so we’re going with @yoga_mydrishti.

4. @davekennedy he’s a great mensch, a dedicated yogi behind prAna, big innovator, supporter of elephant, friend. While I haven’t seen him tweeting quite so much as I used to, he’s a mover-shaker-director of traffic unparallelled.

5. the charming, energetic, fun, self-proclaimed yoga crone @corayoga, who tipped us off to Elvis Yoga, and now writes for elephant.

6. @bobweisenberg is amazing, everywhere, commenting, sparking dialogue, he’s patient yet firm, sharp, with a depth of understanding and kindness that makes my every day better.

7. @kathrynbudig isn’t hyperactive on twitter, but maybe that’s a good thing. She’s got consistent presence and her tweets are to the point, fun, interesting. An emerging yoga star, she’s a charming, sincere columnist for elephant whose posts consistently get crazy traffic. Everyone loves her.

8. @tarastiles is everywhere, and has been a longtime twitcolleague of @elephantjournal. Her tweets range from profound quotes to fun and interesting info about what’s up in her fabulous mover-shaker yoga world. She’s an inspiration.

9. @DeepakChopra, who though not yoga-focused is HUUUUGE (he has more followers than I have brain cells) and incredibly active and supportive on twitter. He’s constantly tweeting, replying if you tweet him, arguing, supporting…his moment to moment information stream is nearly unparalleled in twitterland.

10. Who else? Suggest your fave (or yourself!) in comments below.

gaiam twitter

Spinal Tap Honorary Number 11: @gaiam, though I’m not seeing them tweeting quite so much these days they are consistent, have a wealth of content, and are supportive RTers.

About elephant journal

51 Responses to “Top 10 Yoga Tweeters on Twitter – Updated.”

1. Great list! You know, I used to consider Twitter to be a distraction but I am now soooo immensely grateful for the inspiring yogis/inis I have connected with through tweeting – some that made your list and many who didn't (yet!). Such a supportive, beautiful group! My yoga list on Twitter (@lindsayyoga/yoga) is 200 people strong but here are a few nominations @whollyyoga @innerspaceyoga @lululemon thanks for the smiles!

2. Kasey Luber lubeology says:

I would say @ayogist but she has switched mostly to food trucks lately. haha

3. Well, I think @lkaminoff is pretty cool, but I'm highly prejudiced.

4. Dave says:

I like Baron Baptiste on twitter.

5. ayogist says:

hey wait… i still tweet the LA yoga scene, but i have to say that food trucks are more fun :)

6. ashley says:

and lets not forget @evvashtangi @sarahkohl and of course myself @ashdyogi

7. darla says:

fantastic list! follow @sweatydarla a texas yoga teacher of the hot styles. she rarely tweets- so no reason to feel guilty when you are too busy to "read your feed". ;-)

8. Vince Giorgi says:

Thanks for the list and the inspiration, Waylon…er, @elephantjournal. Here @GreenLotusYoga we're just over two years into our journey as an integrated yoga and healing center, and just a few days into our exploration of Twitter. All twips, and followers, welcome. And if you're ever in the Twin Cities, please stop by. First class is always free. In town for a while? First week is free! Namaste.

9. BJ Galvan Beej says:

We are shifting the world, one twit at a time!! @beejgalvan

10. gracekboyle says:

I love how you combine the spirituality of yoga, along with technology and the ever-so-powerful Twitterverse. Congrats on the growth and large following, you're definitely trusted and respected. Great list you've provided here!

11. I like @kimshealthtips @judithyoga, @darrenjmain, @tranquilista and of course myself @mysticflavor

12. sevadevi says:

All of the above and my favourite yoga angels @IntegralYogaMag, @Virtual_Yoga, @YIDL

13. Nancy Alder says:

there are so many amazing yogis/yoginis in the cyber sangha that I am in awe to be included! thanks so much Waylon for the vote of confidence in my 140 characters!! For everyone else I have way too many favorites to include (and don't want to forget a soul) so check out the list at http://www.twibes.com/group/yogadorks where you'll find every style and personality represented. my cyber sangha rules!!! thanks for the honor

• YogaDork yogadork says:

right on nancy… it's such an amazing group and we're all an integral part of the flow of ideas and great conversation, in 140 characters or less ;) huzzah cyber sangha!

14. Donna Freeman Donna says:

A few of my favs who haven't already been mentioned from the +300 people on the @DonnaKFreeman/yoga list include @yogamint @shantignr8tion @SwSachidananda – great list Waylon, keep it coming! So many like minded people out there that Twitter has helped to connect.

15. excellent list! @5seed

16. AMY CHAMP says:

Don't forget @yogahopesue for Yoga Trauma and project in Haiti. And me, for scholarly work on yoga @AMYCHAMP.

17. love this thread! am @curvyyogini on twitter, if you want to follow. have to add @fluidityyoga to the list. and @yogamydrishti is a personal fave :)

18. Yes, so many more … @IntegralYogaMag @thebodyyoga @DonnaKFreeman (hi!) … thanks Nancy for the tip – I just joined the yogadork twibe! Love, @lindsayyoga

19. Gaiam says:

Here's our list, if you're looking for some great yoga tweeps who are fun and provide lots of value through their tweets: http://twitter.com/Gaiam/yoga/members

20. Cora Wen says:

Thanks for making me a top 10er Elephant Fans! It's been a wonderful #cybersangha to make connections with worldwide yogis and spread wisdom, pictures and loads of humour! Love to ALL of you!
    love @corayoga http://www.corawen.com

21. Lynn Hasselberger Lynn says:

@RainbeauMars is one of my faves.

22. Sab says:

Hey what about @yogaheals?? Love her tweets, her twitter vibe, and compassionate soul!

23. Manduka says:

hey hey how about us @MandukaYoga !

24. Sandra says:

I'm a new twit (or a 52 year old twit, depending on whether you talk to my brother) @namastehon in Bawlmer Merlin (that's Baltimore Maryland for non-natives)

25. Jess says:

Most of my favs are listed above and would like to add these: @IntegralHack @veganyogini @rogue_yogi and of course me! @holisticyogini

26. 500 yogis here: http://twitter.com/FluidityYoga/yogadorks/members and the MAX for any list is 500, so my 2nd yogadork list began: http://twitter.com/FluidityYoga/yogadorks-2 Have fun and I look fwd to tweeting with you if I'm not already! Namasté – Mitzi at http://twitter.com/FluidityYoga

27. Harmony says:

Ashtanga Yoga Victoria – for all updates on Ashtanga Yoga Practice in Victoria BC Canada! @AYVic

28. Sat Siri Dougherty says:

@SatSiriLiving

29. [...] are honored to have two of prAna’s family members in the Elephant Journal top 10 list of yoga Twitterati @davekennedy and Anusara’s founder, John Friend [...]

30. joni says:

by the way, i'm all about finding affordable yoga in LA — while some people can easily afford $22 drop-in classes, go on retreats to exotic locales, or maybe even hire celeb yogis to give them private lessons at home, the majority of us can barely make ends meet and need all the financial assistance we can get, whether it be free yoga, donation yoga, or work-trade yoga. and when we do plunk down our hard-earned cash, it makes us feel good when it goes to a worthy charity or to an up-and-coming yoga teacher who needs our love and encouragement!

so if that's you, follow me, the accidental yogist, at @ayogist :)

31. Linda-Sama says:

oh, please. like it's a competition?

32. Adarsh Kaur says:

I agree – twitter is a great place to connect with community interested in yoga and heath! Please follow me @adarshkkhalsa!

33. Zen Friend says:

Awesome list! I just spent some time to follow some of who these movers and shakers follow. It brings so much value to my twitter experience, connecting with like-minded people around the globe. Every day I am amazed just how much fantastic information is out there, and I would never have found it otherwise. Thank you Elephant Journal, and thank you to the winners (albeit a while ago now!) Sending positive vibes your way. Best wishes from San Francisco @TheZenGirl :)

34. Yes, Leslie, you are cooler than cool. :)