Photo of the (Fri)day: Yoga Headstand (literally).

Via on Apr 9, 2010

tara stiles

Extreme Yoga Part Three

Whodis?

Is it real? It is. We’ve seen and published photos like this before.

Does it hurt? Is it good for you? Ain’t is a bit…extreme?

About Waylon Lewis

13 Responses to “Photo of the (Fri)day: Yoga Headstand (literally).”

1. Kelli says:

Um, that's messed up.

2. mary says:

so does yoga have anything to do with winds and channels anymore or is it just athleticisim?

3. The Deacon says:

I feels great. And Headstands are perfect for the channels and the flow of blood through the body.

4. TiffanyYoga says:

It's real, you can check out more of my tricks or come learn how in a workshop with me athttp://www.TifffanyYoga.com

• Yogini5 says:

Okay, Tiffany, let me ask you THIS: just how much preconditioning is necessary to do a basic headstand if you never had the natural core strength to begin with? I have a short trunk and long, long legs. Not the best raw material to work with.

I do a lot of pilates, rough equivalent of utthita prasarita padasana, high reps; plus a few others, in addition to regular yoga practice.

5. TiffanyYoga says:

You can also look for my book- Optimal Health for a Vibrant Life, coming out at the end of the month, available on TiffanyYoga.com as well as amazon and other sites. It's a 30-day guide to optimizing your health with nutrition, herbs, myofascial release, yoga and much more. The goal is to cleanse the body and create simple, long-term changes that produce results for years to come. There's some good photos in there as well…

6. One indicator is that Kripalu Yoga–A Guide to Practice On and Off the Mathttp://bit.ly/9IJMxP explicitly leaves headstands and even shoulder stands out of its recommended curriculum because they are just too dangerous for the average practitioner. Probably fine for people with the right conditioning and training, but Kripalu felt they were too risky to be in their signature guide (which, by the way, is the best single volume book I've ever seen on the comprehensive practice of modern Yoga.)

Bob Weisenberg http://YogaDemystified.com

7. Rainbeau says:

BEAUTIFUL. I AM INSPIRED. Off to Practice. :)

8. Sal says:

Beautiful alignment. It's not a trick, it's an advanced asana with many benefits. Headstands are wonderful in so many ways.

9. Lisa says:

Woo Hoo! Love this and you :)

10. Dena says:

Full of grace, as always, inside and out.

11. [...] Tara Stiles and I, and more often elephant’s writers, have had their differences. [...]

12. ARCreated says:

beautiful…way to go…I will probably never do that (in this life) but I do appreciate the focus it took to achieve it. I tend towards the less athletic physical practice but in no way denounce the benefits of what this type of practice can achieve. I am often amazed at what the human body can do when you set your mind to it…I had a friend who's mom use to say "if we believe it enough humans could fly" it is mind over matter and this is a step in the right direction!!
    Namaste!!! Peace out :)