Go Vegan in 10 Easy Steps. ~ Virginia Messina

Via on Jun 15, 2010

It’s not hard to create great vegan meals and find substitutes for the foods you’ve always enjoyed. It’s just new. Yes, there is a little bit of a learning curve as you switch from the diet you’ve always known to one that is based on plant foods. But if you take it one step at a time, going vegan can be a fun adventure.

These ten steps are practical and effective. Every change you make brings you closer to a more ethical and compassionate lifestyle—and you’ll be saving animals from lives of suffering with each step.

1. Investigate milk substitutes

Vegan or not, no one needs any kind of milk in their diet. But if you are accustomed to using cow’s milk as a beverage, with cereal or in cooking, look into some of the alternatives. Most grocery stores carry a good variety of milks made from soybeans, rice, oats, almonds, and even hemp and coconut. Look for choices that are fortified with calcium and vitamin D. Try them all until you find a favorite.

2. Explore meat substitutes

The selection these days is amazing! Check the frozen and refrigerated sections of natural foods stores as well as your regular grocery store. You’ll find vegan burgers, sausages, hot dogs, sandwich slices, pepperoni, Canadian bacon, pulled pork, chicken nuggets, ground beef and much more. Different ones appeal to different palates, so keep tasting until you find the ones that you and your family enjoy. These foods can be pricey, so stretch them by adding to spaghetti sauce, stews, soups and stir fried dishes.

3. Experiment with beans

Most Americans didn’t grow up eating beans, which is too bad. Legumes are super nutritious foods, and are also among the world’s cheapest and most abundant sources of protein. That’s why beans have played a role in the diets of nearly every single culture. If you can’t get organized enough to cook them from scratch, it’s fine to use canned beans. Try bean dishes that are familiar like baked beans (buy the canned vegetarian variety), bean burritos, lentil and split pea soups.

4. Try vegan cheese

Nondairy cheese products have been a little bit of a stumbling block in vegan diets for a long time. But that is quickly changing. The new vegan cheeses are exceptional. Try Teese, Sheese, Daiya and Vegan Gourmet brands. You’ll find them in natural foods stores or can order them online. Most grocery stores carry Tofutti brand Better Than Cream Cheese, too. And don’t forget to explore ways to use less cheese. Pizza topped with roasted vegetables and sundried tomato pesto doesn’t need cheese. Sliced avocado on a sandwich is so much better than cheese and better for you, too.

5. Make vegan “eggs” for breakfast

If you think vegan breakfast is boring or difficult, the new cookbook Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz is guaranteed to change your mind. Take the author’s advice and track down some black salt (called Kala Namak) which you can order online. It smells and tastes exactly like egg yolks. Try it in scrambled tofu or in recipes for vegan omelets.

6. Make simple substitutes with vegan condiments

This is one of the easiest steps in veganizing your diet. Some all-American favorites like mustard, relish and ketchup are already vegan. You can find creamy vegan salad dressings in the store, or just go with the easiest and most healthful option—oil and vinegar. Try Vegenaise brand vegan mayonnaise; believe it or not, it’s better than regular commercial mayonnaise. Look for vegan sour cream (Tofutti and Follow Your Heart both make great ones), and choose low-sodium Worcestershire sauce which is usually free of anchovies.

7. Learn to bake without eggs

Replacing the functional properties of eggs in baked goods can be tricky and is sometimes a sticking point for new vegans. But recipes for cookies, brownies and cakes that call for only one or two eggs can be made using egg substitutes. Check this list for ideas. Or treat yourself to a cookbook by an accomplished vegan baker. The Joy of Vegan Baking or Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World are good choices.

8. Discover vegan food to go

There are thousands and thousands of great vegan recipes for dinner and at-home meals. But you can brown bag it vegan-style, too. If your workplace has a microwave oven, you can enjoy instant soups packaged as individual servings (the kind in cardboard cups) or prepared burritos. Make sandwiches from vegan luncheon meats, or hummus or create your own “missing egg salad.” (Use diced tofu, black salt and Vegenaise mayonnaise.)

9. Look to ethnic cuisine

Some of the best eating patterns in the world—from both a culinary and a health standpoint—are based on plant foods. When you start exploring meals from Italy, India, China, Thailand and other exotic locales, it will open up your world to the best of vegan cuisine. Look in cookbooks and online for recipes for pasta or Asian noodle dishes, curries, stir-fries and pilafs (made with grains, nuts and dried fruits). Many people say that their culinary horizons expanded in exciting ways when they went vegan.

10. Enjoy some vegan treats

Well-balanced vegan diets are more healthful than the standard American eating pattern, but vegans eat treats, too. Many foods you already enjoy (like potato and corn chips and Oreo cookies) are vegan. Take a peek in the freezer section of your natural foods store, too, for great frozen desserts such as Coconut Bliss and So Delicious products.

Virginia Kisch Messina, MPH, RD is a dietitian specializing in vegan nutrition. She works with organizations to promote healthy vegan diets—and has been eating this way herself for two decades. View more of her writing at http://www.veggiedietitian.blogspot.com/. Follow her on Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheVeganRD

About elephant journal

Like this article? Leave a tip!

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

15 Responses to “Go Vegan in 10 Easy Steps. ~ Virginia Messina”

1. Manju says:

Great article! Eating vegan has never been more delicious. As you said, there are so many delicious alternatives to animal products. Products like Soyatoo whipped cream, Earth Balance Buttery Spread, and So Delicious coconut milk ice cream and beverages really make it easy to go vegan!

2. Andrea says:

Great. I LOVE being vegan!

3. Meg says:

Great tips for eating a plant-based diet! But let's remember that going vegan doesn't end with food! Veganism is against ALL animal exploitation and animals are exploited for many more things than food!

I suggest that people going vegan check out online vegan stores like Vegan Essentials, Eco Sevi, Pangea The Vegan Store, Alternative Outfitters, and many more. There they can find vegan clothes, vegan body products, vegan makeup, etc. (I swear I haven't been paid by any of them — just someone very grateful that they exist.)

And of course, vegans should also not patronize non-human animal entertainment or contribute to non-human animals being bred for pets or any other purpose.

4. SunnyGirl says:

Dear Meg…you seriously need to stop posting the same message on every vegan article you come across.

5. Kendra says:

Great piece — thank you, Virginia! I've reposted it on my blog: http://healthfull-life.blogspot.com/

Best regards, Kendra

6. Meg says:

Dear SunnyGirl,

I’ll stop when people stop confusing veganism with a diet. And I don’t post on “every vegan article” because many actually do get it right. Maybe you should read more of them!

7. [...] January of this year my younger sister decided she would finally try being a vegan. It felt right to me, too, so I decided to try it with her. We never expected to stay vegan for [...]

8. [...] Double Bonus points: Mushrooms, and know what (pure) MDMA stands for. BonusBonusBonus points: go vegan for a little while, talk forever about how you used to be vegan for a little while but realized you [...]

9. namastehon says:

While I am not against a vegan diet for those who wish to eat healthier or more ethically, but I am against eating more processed food, even if it's supposed to be healthy. My personal taste preference is to eat real food in season; I've noticed that when I end up eating highly processed foods I get sick the next day…

• Carrie says:

Those were exactly my thoughts. My step #1 would be to explore all the wonderful fruits and veggies and grains you CAN eat as part of a vegan lifestyle rather than focus on replacing what you CAN'T eat with highly processed substitutes.

10. diana says:

I love lists like these. They inspire me to work in at least one more on the list I'm already working on. As a food LOVER, its great to remember that being vegan can have its tasty side.

11. Vegan Experiment says:

I think what Virginia might be trying to accomplish with this article is to show people how they might be able to ease into vegan, or at least begin exploring all of the available options. I get the sense that a transitional "baby steps" approach may be what some folks are looking for versus an extreme overnight change in diet. Most all of the steps she mentioned are definitely easier, by comparison.

I would have to agree with the comments regarding processed foods…I think part of the beauty of vegan eating is opening yourself up to the world of many fruits and vegetables, pseudo grains, seeds, nuts, live sprouts, raw foods, and oils that you can incorporate into your diet in their fresh, whole form. And I also think that part of doing vegan successfully is committing to real home-cooked meals on a regular basis. This is a huge challenge and hurdle for a lot of people. It takes time. It takes experimentation, and it really does take commitment and if you don't know cooking fundamentals (which, honestly, I'm just now learning at 36 and I think many people are in my same boat – cooking on convenience is what I learned), you would really do yourself a favor when moving to a vegan diet, to invest in cooking classes or some great cookbooks. This is also where the desire for organically grown foods, or even local, comes into play. To avoid the microwave. To transform your kitchen and its ingredients away from convenience items and towards a well rounded and truly diverse food environment. To celebrate the fact that YOU can provide yourself the best nutrition possible, sourcing the best whole ingredients and preparing them yourself! This is a mental shift as much as a physical shift. Just because something is vegan, doesn't mean it's healthy, remember! One thing that helped us tremendously is the diversity available through local community supported agriculture co-ops, supplemented by the bulk bins at our local health food store (this is also inexpensive!). I don't think you can do it overnight, I don't think it's "easy", but I do think with perseverance and a true desire to eat whole and better…you'll discover how much more diverse vegan eating is, compared to the S.A.D. I think this perspective may be more realistic than "10 easy steps" if you take a holistic approach. But…I applaud anyone who gets in there to try! The benefits are out of this world. Personally, we are omnivore's of the local, sustainable and real food movement, but 80% of our diet is based on hard core vegan principles. And yes, we go out to eat and indulge once in a while 'cause, well…you can't control everything! Thanks for the article!

12. Shielagh says:

Great article, Ginny! I couldn’t agree more. Just had the Gardein Holiday Roast for Thanksgiving. Plus my own stuffing made in the crockpot, green and white bean casserole for Meet the Shannon’s, cranberry sauce and the Gardein gravy. Oy! To die for.

13. Nadine says:

Another thumbs up from me about the processed foods. I am vegan, but never buy the prepared 'vegan' foods because they are very processed and my body lets me know (ugh). There are many healthy alternatives to buying processed vegan foods. I make my own nut and seed milks, vegan cheese, burgers, desserts, etc. Honestly, they are easy to make, delicious, and most of the time raw – which is even better.