“The Job of the Spiritual Friend is to Insult You.”

Via on Feb 1, 2011

Can difficult relationships be helpful?

Lately, I’ve been contemplating relationship as path and whether or not I should stay in a particularly fiery romantic relationship with a lot of love but just as much difficulty and klesha*.

In searching for the answer, I found this clip of Pema Chodron, in which she addresses the matter:

YouTube Preview Image

“In order to become a completely loving person, a flexible person, you have to see where you’re hookable.”

“If you really want liberation, if you really want freedom, you need people around to be provoking you to show you where it is you still have work to do.”

It seems that difficult relationships provide us with the opportunity to grow, and to, as Pema says:

“continually [train] in letting thoughts go and in softening when we are hardening–these are steps on the path of awakening. That’s how kleshas begin to diminish.”

Very interesting.

For now, I’m going to try hard to not get hooked–in fact I’m publicly proclaiming my commitment to do so–to becoming sensitive enough to notice the moment when I have a choice to fight or not to fight.  As Buddhist psychologist Bernie Weitzman says, “When you’re on the battlefield, you’ve already lost.”

Speaking of Bernie, he also has suggested engaging in a Theravadan tradition: When you become angry, bow deeply to the other person and say, “Forgive me; I’m angry with you.”  I love that.

Tough stuff, but I’m not giving up yet.  I have to remember that in every relationship, difficulty is an opportunity to wake up.

* Kleshas are the strong conflicting emotions that spin off and heighten when we get caught by aversion and attraction.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Juliana McCarthy is a former Texan, New Yorker, and Californian who recently moved to Boulder, Colorado, to study psychology and ride horses. She studied Writing and Contemporary Art at Sarah Lawrence College and has traveled the world working in fashion, art, literature, and entertainment. Once a  resident of Karmê Chöling, she remains a devoted student of Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche and Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche with a particular passion for Dharma Art. Follow her on Twitter | StumbleUpon.

About elephant journal

Comments

17 Responses to ““The Job of the Spiritual Friend is to Insult You.””

1. Jon says:

Hey Juliana,
    Thats the first time I've noticed the word Klesha. Being a word hound I am always facinated with the origins and meanings of words. I would say my klesha's are in full bloom right now, working as and working with a startup. I must say that my experiences to this point have been nothing less than a blast furnace set to max. With such flux in my emotions it is hard to settle down and love the one your with as it were. May we find the inner strength to remain calm and composed while the ever critical public keeps expecting more than they are willing to give.
    Take care,
    Jon

2. Benjamin Riggs BenRiggs says:

Julianna great article… And it is always exciting when we discover a new dimension of the spiritual path. I hope that taking relationships to the path proves to be fulfilling for both you and your partner… And if not I hope you will go deeper! It is cold outside.

3. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Waylon Lewis, BettySue Goeppner. BettySue Goeppner said: RT @elephantjournal: Relationships are hard. That's the point: http://bit.ly/hKQx7S […]

4. yogiclarebear says:

This MUST be why my husband puts up with me…could I be his klesha practice? For today's egoic comfort…this is what I will tell myself. 😉

Seriously though Juliana, thanks for sparking the thoughts and discussions (both internal and here via comments.)

5. TamingAuthor says:

Love this quote from Pema:

So true. Where can we be hooked?

Given the high value of one who provides this service, I was wondering if I should be charging Elephant for the work I do with resident liberals? (Any suggestions on a fee structure, Waylon?)

6. TamingAuthor says:

Juliana, as usual I greatly admire and appreciate your articles. Keep issues. My only complaint (here is the hookable) is the use of the oxymoron Buddhist psychologist. As you will discover at the appropriate time, there is no such thing as the two disciplines rest on contradictory premises. One can playfully imagine an exception (for example, the flying elephant Dumbo combines two incompatible properties) but they do not exist.

A Buddhist understands the mind. There is no need for any johnny-come-lately misconceptions from the world of materialist western psychology. That elephant will not fly! : >)

7. Ginny says:

It was this kind of logic that kept me in an abusive relationship for 20 years. There are red flags all over this! Be wary, be careful, trust your gut!

8. Hello everyone. I wanted to share with you just about all my personal own encounter with a recent separation as well as ultimately our reconciliation. Soon after we broke up I went through lonely weeks in which I became deeply feeling hopeless. I realized that I wanted him to come back but would not wish to back together for the inappropriate reasons. I quizzed myself some challenging questions including have I changed, has he improved at all, exactly why do I desire to get together with him genuinely? Once I came up with solutions to most of these inquiries I was confident I wanted him back again. We’re more content than ever before and this process has become the very best choice of my life.

9. Really useful article. Thanks for making available awesome webpage.

10. […] another person’s point of view that made us angry to begin with, accepting it or, if need be, confronting it. We may realize, if, say, someone is sick, that we have to act with loving kindness so as to not […]