The 10 things you’ll do once you start yoga (that have nothing to do with yoga).
- At least once, you will force yourself to try to be vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian, gluten-free (insert any over-zealous diet here)/drink Kombucha/buy bottled water before class and pour it into your sustainable water bottle before the teacher/students/Whole Foods cashier next to you sees. (If you’re craving meat, just eat it! On your deathbed, will you really be glad that you didn’t have that steak on your 30th Birthday?)
- Your iPod will now include a heavy serving of Kirtan music that you will listen to on your very long commute to your yoga studio. (It’s cool; if you want to listen to Kirtan occasionally, go for it! When you start listening to it while driving and falling asleep—time to go back to your old playlists. Do not switch over to NPR!)
- You will pretend not to notice that your ass now fits in a size six instead of an eight, but you’re secretly thrilled. (When you get down to a four though, watch it. People will talk.)
- You will go back to your natural hair color/remove your hair extensions/cut your hair short in an attempt to stop paying so much attention to your vanity. (Try not to cut it too short—the growing out process is a bitch and then you’ll just need more hair extensions. I did.)
- You’ll attempt to read the Yoga Sutras, the Bhagavad Gita, or the Upanishads while your stack of fashion magazines calls to you from the next room. (Really, why can’t I like Rachel Zoe and yoga? Now that I’m thin enough to actually wear her clothes, why should I pretend I don’t want to?) (See #3.)
- You will take a retreat. Hello, Kripalu! (It’s ok—those other people probably are weirdos. So are you. Eat your breakfast and shut up. No really, shut the f*ck up—it’s a silent breakfast.)
- You’ll start taking photos of yourself in yoga poses. Often. And you’ll think that other people care. It’s like the modern-day version of the vacation slideshow. No one gives a sh*t, but they’ll pretend like they do so that you do the same when they whip out their own photos.
- You will at some point wear mala beads, which will break all over the floor of your 6:15 A.M. class. (Basically, it’ll end about as well as when I wore my Grandmother’s rosary beads to dinner at age six. Silver Lining: The company was kind enough to re-string them for free, and now I just wear them like a really cool wrap bracelet. It’s very hippie chic. Thank you September Vogue.) (See #5)
- You will become a cheap date. Remember, you just dropped two sizes and you continue to spend at least an hour a day sweating and twisting and breathing. You’ll be buzzed from one drink!
- You’ll get over yourself. If you teach yoga, you’ll hope that people show up because they like taking class from who you really are. If you practice yoga, you’ll keep showing up and you’ll realize that the other sh*t doesn’t matter.
Like elephant yoga on Facebook.
Originally published by our elephriends over at Recovering Yogi on September 19, 2011.
Photo courtesy of Anton Belovodchenko
Facebook is in talks with major corporate media about pulling their content into FB, leaving other sites to wither or pay up if we want to connect with you, our readers. Want to stay connected before the curtain drops? Sign up for our curated, quality newsletters below.
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 383 shares Visual Yoga Blog: Refresh your Eyes the Yoga Way. 170 shares Boomers vs. Millennials: Will We stay the Course or Change It? 389 shares Instead of Sabotaging another Relationship, here’s how to Run into your Fear. 1,003 share Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 9 shares The Benching Mind-F*ck: Worse than Ghosting. 1,785 share Will & Grace are Back after 10 years & it’s the Funniest 10 minutes of Election Commentary Ever. 6,448 shares The Fourth Kind of Love. 2,355 shares October Energy Forecast: Prepare for Limitless, Unconditional Love. 5,954 shares How Open-Hearted Men can Show Up for Strong, Independent Women. 2,909 shares