Samadhi Pants – Why are yoga instructors so poor?

Via on Dec 19, 2011

The economic downturn has been brutal for yoga instructors, as it has been for all of us. Many of my colleagues have quit the profession, and quite a few have declared bankruptcy.

This strip was written by Raj Shah. To see the strip in slideshow format, go here.

About Joseph Boquiren

Joseph Boquiren is a cat (figuratively speaking) who practices a little Zen, teaches a little yoga, writes comics, and makes his home with his lovely wife in Portland, Oregon. The goal of Samadhi Pants (if there is one) is to make yoga and mindful living safe, fun(ny) and accessible for both beginners and seasoned practitioners alike. Joseph Boquiren is available for portraits and private commissions. Contact him at jboquiren@comcast.net. Previous work is available for viewing on his website and Facebook page.

6 Responses to “Samadhi Pants – Why are yoga instructors so poor?”

1. Tanya Lee Markul Tanya Lee Markul says:

Ah – LOVE that you used the name 'Tanya' :-P

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Join us! Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

Just posted to "Featured Today" on the Elephant Yoga homepage.
    Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook.

2. Jess says:

Hi Cameron! I'm highly interested in reading more about this topic as someone who recently quit her FT job to pursue a FT career as a freelance yoga instructor in NYC. Gulp!
    Jess

3. catnipkiss says:

Hmmmm….. no easy answer to this. I am pursuing a yoga teacher training, but I don't want to transform into a FT yoga teacher or own my own studio, nor am I doing it to earn a living. Why am I doing it? (Um, this is the first time I have asked myself this!) OK, NVM, new blog forthcoming……. Alexa Maxwell

4. DaveTelf says:

what, no punchline?

5. un dijeta says:

Great to see this review.

6. Jennifer Millette says:

Hi Cameron! Thanks for your response. I would definitely be interested in reading more of your insights, and will keep my eyes open for a series on the topic. I am a fulltime yoga and Pilates instructor, fortunate enough to work for a business savvy studio owner who has taken me under her wing and begun mentoring me in this regard. Thanks again for the food for thought!