Look at Me. {video}

Via on Jan 22, 2012

Regardez-moi.

© DR/Facebook - Golshfteh Farahani on Madame le Figaro cover.

Being naked approaches being revolutionary; going barefoot is mere populism.

~ John Updike

Iranian actress Golshfteh Farahani, has been banned from returning to her home country for appearing partially nude on the cover of the French magazine Madame Le Figaro. Her half-naked beauty is also featured in Jean-Baptiste Mondino’s Corps et Âmes (Bodies and Souls), a short film introducing the actors nominated for the 2012 Cesar Awards, better known as the French Oscars.

The fact that even the most dignified artistic attempts to portray nudity, are still igniting such international controversy proves – once again – that as a global alley we would greatly benefit from some more naked therapy.

There’s vulnerability in taking off one’s clothes. There’s raw, imperfect, heartbreaking beauty. And there’s also courage when doing it for a noble purpose.

[Warning: video contains slight nudity]

*Not all the subtitles are accurate. I’ve tried to adapt the text below from different English translations as well as my own interpretation (that of a French lover but not exactly a speaker). Any translation input is welcome in the comments section. Click here to watch without subtitles.

Look at me

Right now, naked
Free from the body and soul
Under no pressure but my own
I commit my whole being
Still a virgin, I surrender
I return to chaos
My DNA scattered forever
I dance away from myself
I escaped from my own prison
My only art is to act
In your dreams, I’ll be the stage
I’ll make vibrate the subtle words
Like fruit on my tongue
I’ll give you my skin
Bloody, maddened, filled to the brim
With tears and laughter
I’ll take your breath away
With a sound so loud, a light so bright
In a crowd, I’ll be swept away
By your impossibility, your shame
Covering my features
Lest I be cold or scared for days
Or deaf to the sound of life,
I dive into the vacuum of time
Right now, naked
Free from the body and soul
I commit my whole being
Look at me
Look at me…

And you? How naked do you get?

[Photo: http://www.facebook.com/Golshifteh.Farahani.Fan.Club]

About Andrea Balt

Co-Founder / Editor in Chief of Rebelle Society, Wellness Alchemist at Rebelle Wellness & Creativity Curator at Creative Rehab. Unfinished book with a love for greens, bikes and poetry; raised by wolves & adopted by people; not trying to make art but to Be Art. Holds a BA in Journalism & Mass Communication, an MFA in Creative Writing & a Holistic Health Coach degree from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition®. In her work she tries to reflect the wholeness of the human experience by combining Art & Health + Brains & Beauty + Darkness & Brilliance into a more alive, unabridged and unlimited edition of ourselves. She is also on a quest to reinstate Creativity as one of our essential Human Rights to (hopefully and soon) be included in the UN Declaration. Connect with her on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and sign up for her Monthly Stroke of Renaissance.

22 Responses to “Look at Me. {video}”

1. Karl Saliter karl saliter says:

Nude as a bald peach is how naked I get! Wait we are talking literally, right?

My first experience getting naked in public was at a dead show in Saratoga Springs, NY. There was a little pond, hippies were peeling off and jumping in in droves. Even in a scene that free, it was a real challenge for me to take my clothes off.

Everybody was naked and laughing and swimming, yet I was still scared.

I wanted to be a person who could just do that. So I just did that.

Gradually, it turned into fun.

Fear melted into acceptance like that a new paycheck melts into newly paid bills.

Evocative video. Thanks for posting.

2. karlsaliter says:

That post up there needs some editing, and I need some coffee.

• Andrea Balt Andréa Balt says:

Nope. Purrrfect.

I love swimming naked in the ocean (well, more like the Mediterranean, the ocean is cooold). Total freedom. It's like being in the womb again. Not that I remember much. :)

There should be like an initiation rite for all of us 21st century survivors. You don't get to be an adult until you lose the fear to be naked, with no other purpose or intention but self-acceptance.

3. "Being naked approaches being revolutionary.."….Thank you for sharing this. I liked the video. Merci! So let's get naked! :-)

4. Charlotte says:

Wonderful!

5. Beautiful! Not enough nakedness these days–physically or emotionally.

6. Andrea Balt Andréa Balt says:

*Edited to add link to the video in original version without subtitles.

7. karlsaliter says:

I know a yoga teacher who gives you your certification only if you participate in the final ceremony nude. My partner took the training. She said you would not believe what it brought up for some people. That was probably a bad choice of phrasing. One person left the training rather than go through with it. It is interesting how unnecessarily private we can sometimes be.

• Andrea Balt Andréa Balt says:

Certainly an uncommon teaching method, but I can see the point. But I can also see why some people may have felt uncomfortable. It's a very sensitive subject, deeply rooted in our subconscious, so it's not easy to deal with it or even to know how to break free.

8. rebecca says:

How can you not get your certification unless you go nude? Something not ok about absolutes no matter what direction they go in…

• karlsaliter says:

I didn't take the training or attend, but apparently it was required to get your certificate. Nude during the ceremony or uncertified, no exceptions. I really like it, to tell you the truth.

9. Seems to me we are witnessing lots of backlash with regard to freedoms that let us know we have broken through to another level of disruption of the status quo. Whenever you shake the tree, lots of rattling can be heard. All this nonsense about nudity will quiet down and the real accomolishments in the arena of civil liberties will be revealed.

• Andrea Balt Andréa Balt says:

I do see your point. There are certainly more relevant and urgent issues that require our attention on an international scale. This is just another, apparently minor one. But the fact that so many people respond and react to this kind of news does make you wonder.

Maybe it’s deeper than we think and not just about our physical nakedness per se but also representative of a latent fear of being who we really are; of coming out of the closet of the unfair and self-limiting demands society has often placed on us.

10. Jason Gan says:

It's a poetic visual essay, obviously juxtaposing the double helix meaning of nudity, the societal faux pas of undressing, and the concept of baring the soul to the higher consciousness. Perhaps it is a clever way to show that one has nothing to do with the other. Ishvarapranidhana refers to the surrender of the soul, in the recognition of certain "clothes" that shroud the mind, such as clinging to fear, the fear of not being loved, the fear of commitment. To commit the soul to the surrender, the mind must learn to cast aside all manner of external influences, which are the clothes that imprison the spirit through enforcing form and structure to behaviour. Naturally, this is a completely intimate and private affair. It is your personal relationship with GOD (or that which is beyond the perceivable or beyond the real). The only one who can know when you are ready is yourself. That is why ultimately you should ignore any tenet that a Church says to go along with, without criticism. That is why ultimately you should not wear any fabricated symbol around your neck that is associated with conformity to strict belief systems.

11. karlsaliter says:

"I think the biggest part remains unseen."

And The Little Prince would back you up on that.

12. [...] him was so spiritual I don’t even know where to begin. Suffice it to say that he brought out the naked, vulnerable side of me and freed me from all those social boundaries my parents tried so hard to [...]

13. [...] Take off your clothes, add a motor, and you get… (Photo via Femme X) [...]

14. audibledarkness says:

I watched the videos (one is not available on youtube). Particularly, the French one, where oh where is the 'imperfect' heartbreaking beauty? These were basically white attractive people with bodies people envy therefore nudity or being 'raw' is not an issue. How vulnerable is that?

Nudity, appearing nude, 'rawness' is not a monolithic concept that everyone and every country has to embrace in order to be considered … civilized or forward or 'free of body and soul!'

Just as with religion, politics, thinking, there are audiences, demographics and diversity in which such revelation is acceptable. Some more accepting than others. I am hard pressed to name those 'places' even within the United States!

The Iranian actress may or may not have made a courageous move. Her banning from her home country IS an excessive act on the part of her government.

The question of nudity, courage or vulnerability is more an argument for women not men.
    How many men pose nude for whatever artistic purpose in whatever country?
    Noble purpose?
    Free from body and soul?
    That's a stretch.

I love the poem.

15. Piece of writing writing is also a excitement, if you know afterward you can write
    if not it is complicated to write.