Shifting Consciousness in the Anusara Community. ~ Sharon Kuchar

Via on Feb 27, 2012
Photo: Reenie-Just Reenie

We have the capability to shift our consciousness.

There is nothing like a good old sex scandal to get people in an uproar—add some pot smoking and pension freezes from the head Guru, a mass exodus of Anusara Inspired and Certified teachers, and the uncertainty about the future of Anusara Yoga, and what is left? A massive Kula of heart oriented people that are angry, scared, and feels betrayed. I am part of the Kula and I too feel angry, yet with any upheaval of circumstances it is human nature to feel that way and it is not wrong to do so.

We, as an Anusara Kula, have the awareness that we can feel what we feel and also put out love, shri and positive energy back into the community. How? It’s simple.

I use this technique with both my school age children and anyone else who has intense, negative emotions towards someone else. I don’t tell them not to feel what they are feeling. I simply ask them to think of five positive attributes of the person that had wronged them. In doing so, it shifts the negativity of the situation to a more opening, forgiving way of dealing with the circumstance. So here it is…

My five positive attributes of John Friend:

1.) He dedicated his life to build a community of people who want to create Shri together.

2.) He taught us how to see the good in others, even at the darkest of hours.

3.) He’s funny.

4.) He’s an awesome Hatha Yoga teacher.

5.) After his workshops he gives people time to talk to him, ask questions, speak their peace…all in good faith of helping others live a more enriched life.

I ask other people of the Kula to reply back with five optimistic attributes of John Friend. It might just be the best thing this community can do for the future of Anusara.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sharon Kuchar graduated from Syracuse University College of Nursing in 1995. She continued her nursing education by achieving a school nurse certification from Seton Hall University in 2003. After the death of both her parents, Sharon began practicing Hatha Yoga and Meditation. In 2008 she received a M. A. In Experiential Health and Healing (Integrative Medicine) from the Graduate Institute. In addition, she earned a Reiki Practitioner certification under the late Margaret Ann Case at the Open Center in N.Y.C. Sharon recently left her job as a high school nurse to pursue a career in Yoga. She is a single mother of two beautiful children, Kyle (12) and Megan (10).

About elephant journal

705 views

Comments

18 Responses to “Shifting Consciousness in the Anusara Community. ~ Sharon Kuchar”

1. mattalign says:

That was a nice piece Sharon. It takes a broad mind to see and value it all like that. "Good for you!", as John would say…

2. Hi Sharon,

As a fellow member of the Anusara kula, and as a writer focused on the power of positive thinking, I applaud you for writing this. I have featured it on the: Elephant Journal Facebook Page.

Namaste,
    Jeannie Page

3. Scott Newsom says:

1. The Anusara Kula has the potential to do the necessary hard work of self-reflection on the dynamics within the kula that led to this crisis (it ain't all about John).
    2. The Anusra Kula has the potential to open ityself to outside voices as a means of keeping group ego in check, and learning from the wider yoga community.
    3. The Anusra Kula has the potential to broaden and deepen the emotional tone of their teaching.
    4. The Anusara Kula has the potential to acknowledge naturalistic and humanistic foundations of Yoga, grounding themselves in truth, rather than fancy.
    5. The Anusara Kula has the potential to dissolve mindfully and gracefully if it comes to realize that any of the above are impossible given the nature of the organization.

4. simplycurious says:

Helpful reminder to always look for the best in people, we are all human beings. I do have a question, what does Shri mean? I have seen it used often in the comments and after quick online research I can only find it defined as a title and/ or Referring to Goddess Lakshmi, the Goddess of Wealth. My confusion with meaning of this word is indicative of never fully embracing Anusara yoga while at the same time loyally attending my local Anusara classes and gaining a lot from the practice. I only understood about 60% of what my teachers were talking about. Anyway, I don't want to take away from your positive post, but if you have the time to explain the meaning of Shri I would appreciate your response.

5. Kristy says:

Here are my five:
    1. Open to Grace/Set your foundation
    2. Muscular Energy
    3. Inner Spiral
    4. Outer Spiral
    5. Organic Energy
    That about sums it up :) Thanks John!!!!

6. Grace says:

You may not "tell them not to feel what they are feeling" but this exercise is clearly designed to shift "negative" feelings. A view the Anusara method claims as both its greatest strength and, I would argue, its greatest weakness.

I practiced in the Anusara style for over 8 years. At first the "always look for the good" message was refreshing and inspiring. It carried me along for years. After many years, however, the creeping feeling that any "negative" feeling was undesirable and work should be done to eliminate it soured my practice and led to my break with the Kula. I felt unable to be my authentic self, always expected to be upbeat (or trying to be) no matter what was going on in my life, never allowed a "bad day", never allowed to question my teachers in a meaningful way. On the face of it, the teachers welcomed feedback, but it became very clear very quickly that anyone who didn't toe the bliss line would forever be on the outside looking in.

Why does "looking for the positive" always seem to translate into "ignore the shadow" in the Anusara community? This is exactly the environment that made it possible for John Friend to continue his unethical behavior for as long as he did. If you read the heartfelt letters from teachers who have resigned, many of them talk of how they tried to approach John years ago and were admonished for being "negative" and "out of alignment". This indoctrination to always think the best of John no matter what the hell he was doing is what put Anusara in the situation it is today.

Scott Newsom said it beautifully in his comment above. "The Anusara Kula has the potential to do the necessary hard work of self-reflection on the dynamics within the kula that led to this crisis (it ain't all about John)."

7. Grace says:

I would respectfully comment that the above article does nothing to "enrich the conversation". It merely redirects the conversation back to where the remaining Anusara kula (and I would argue John himself) wants it, namely, "think positive thoughts about John".

In your comment you stated, "I put positive thoughts back towards him in hope that other people can start shifting their perspectives of John and decrease any other potential repercussions." I don't begrudge you your positive thoughts about John, but your hope that encouraging others to do so will "decrease repercussions" is facile. Until the larger yoga community sees the Anusara community start to take a balanced approach to the situation they find themselves in, the general perception will remain that the faithful have been brainwashed and are unable to hold their leader (and themselves) accountable in any meaningful way.

John Friend behaved in many profoundly unskillful ways in his business practices and towards his teachers and students. Thinking positive is one thing. Attempting to minimize or let him (and yourselves) off the hook is another.

8. Sharon Kuchar says:

Dear AnOld Timer,
    With much truth, I am admitting to you that I am befuddled. I don't know if I like what you are saying or not… but, never-the-less, you are very intriguing, yet subtly degrading. The focus of the word Shri, and not the focus of my article needs to stop. I will be more then happy to give you my personal e-mail address and we can communicate from there on in. For your remarkable knowledge on Yoga and Sanskrit…thank you. I'm happy to learn from you. Yet, If needed, I will retract the word Shri and use the word beauty so we can move on and towards a more optimistic approach towards the scandal which is main purpose of my article. It seems that we have gotten off track. My e-mail is [email protected]. if you want to speak further. –Sharon

9. Sharon Kuchar says:

Thank You. I am impressed with your knowledge and will strive in my new career to be as brilliant as you are.