Here are some of the staggering statistics about water foregrounded at the Bid to Save the Earth auction:
- * The ocean is earth’s largest habitat. 72% of earth is covered by water.
- * 2.5 billion people lack access to proper sanitation.
- * An American’s 5 minute shower uses more water than a person in a developing country uses in 1 day.
- * The human body shares a similar percentage of water and ratio to salt as the ocean.
- * 50 percent of the oxygen we breathe comes from the earth’s oceans.
- * Only .007 percent of water is available for consumption.
- * 70 million sharks are killed per year, mainly for their fins.
- * Over one billion people depend on ocean fish for daily protein.
Ongoing donations of $10 by texting GREEN to 80888 offer another way to support these 4 NGOs in a Bid To Save the Earth.
As 2012 Earth Day approaches on April 22, the Bid to Save the Earth initiative serves as a reminder to create our own bids to pledge and support a vibrant blue and green planet.
Photos by Clemens Kois.
~ Editor: Lynn Hasselberger
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 463 shares September’s Black Moon: The Rare, Powerful, Feminine Goddess Lilith. 74,336 shares Will & Grace are Back after 10 years & it’s the Funniest 10 minutes of Election Commentary Ever. 18,048 shares October Energy Forecast: Prepare for Limitless, Unconditional Love. 7,930 shares The Fourth Kind of Love. 2,786 shares How Open-Hearted Men can Show Up for Strong, Independent Women. 3,697 shares What Teens need from their Parents. (Hint: It’s not Grounding & Punishment.) 2,070 shares I am Who I am Thanks to You—The 5 Most Important People we Meet in Life. 2,130 shares 10 Good Reasons Not to Contact your Ex. 961 shares Nine Reasons to Love a Libra & One Secret they Keep. 1,532 share