Here are some of the staggering statistics about water foregrounded at the Bid to Save the Earth auction:
- * The ocean is earth’s largest habitat. 72% of earth is covered by water.
- * 2.5 billion people lack access to proper sanitation.
- * An American’s 5 minute shower uses more water than a person in a developing country uses in 1 day.
- * The human body shares a similar percentage of water and ratio to salt as the ocean.
- * 50 percent of the oxygen we breathe comes from the earth’s oceans.
- * Only .007 percent of water is available for consumption.
- * 70 million sharks are killed per year, mainly for their fins.
- * Over one billion people depend on ocean fish for daily protein.
Ongoing donations of $10 by texting GREEN to 80888 offer another way to support these 4 NGOs in a Bid To Save the Earth.
As 2012 Earth Day approaches on April 22, the Bid to Save the Earth initiative serves as a reminder to create our own bids to pledge and support a vibrant blue and green planet.
Photos by Clemens Kois.
~ Editor: Lynn Hasselberger
hot on elephant
July’s Full Moon in Capricorn: The Heart wants what it Wants. The 4 Stages of a Good Divorce. How to Love a Woman who Scares You. Our Soulmates are Rarely Who We Expect. I Still Think of You. Men, Let’s Stop Fooling Ourselves: Size Matters. To the One Who Tried to Break Me. An Open Letter to the Fixers. How your Stored Memories in the Amygdala can lead to PTSD. How My Sister’s Death Transformed my Self-Perception.