Here are some of the staggering statistics about water foregrounded at the Bid to Save the Earth auction:
- * The ocean is earth’s largest habitat. 72% of earth is covered by water.
- * 2.5 billion people lack access to proper sanitation.
- * An American’s 5 minute shower uses more water than a person in a developing country uses in 1 day.
- * The human body shares a similar percentage of water and ratio to salt as the ocean.
- * 50 percent of the oxygen we breathe comes from the earth’s oceans.
- * Only .007 percent of water is available for consumption.
- * 70 million sharks are killed per year, mainly for their fins.
- * Over one billion people depend on ocean fish for daily protein.
Ongoing donations of $10 by texting GREEN to 80888 offer another way to support these 4 NGOs in a Bid To Save the Earth.
As 2012 Earth Day approaches on April 22, the Bid to Save the Earth initiative serves as a reminder to create our own bids to pledge and support a vibrant blue and green planet.
Photos by Clemens Kois.
~ Editor: Lynn Hasselberger
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 511 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 7 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 27 shares Trevor Noah just won my Respect. 2,527 shares December Forecast: Letting Go of 2016 & Leaning into 2017 with Love. 5,978 shares Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 486 shares How to Say Goodbye to that almost-great Love. 1,396 share For the Women who are Trying to Do & Be Everything to Everyone. 2,913 shares How to Say “F*ck it” to Fear & Anxiety (& Start Living your Life!). 819 shares