I Ain’t Got No Home.

Via on May 18, 2012

YouTube Preview Image

Many of the nametags above were personally designed for Whole Foods employees in Houston, TX.

Desktop/Tablet banner

About Joana Smith

Who I'd like to meet: Superman's Children, eco-warriors, truck drivers, persephone, roller derby queens, nurses, scientists, givers, priests, yogi, storytellers, people who don't know right now, playwrights, philosophers, people who are more visual, people who hop trains, performers, poets, seamstresses, activists, Spider-Man, kids, rangers, Snow White, dj's, massage therapists, people who work with their hands, bunnies, sportsracers, people who work in offices, dancers, baristas, artists, cleaners, climbers, Jeff's sister, Colbert, Skiers, Bikers, skaters, surfers, ani, people who are recovering, trees (and flowers), people who will die soon, gardeners, horses, Jolie-Pitt, soon-to-be mothers, margie's daughter, astronomers, people who are scared, girls who wear black and listen to the Smiths, cuffmakers, lambs, Miranda July, the man in the moon, Bono, people from 'round here, Obama...

321 views

Elephriends - Mindful Partners

190x1902-EJ-clothing

9 Responses to “I Ain’t Got No Home.”

1. Justin says:

I think that the thing with "community" is that all people deserve to be loved. As I've thought through and written about ideas of community among LDS — I've found that most people would like there to be an actual person somewhere they can sit down with and talk back-and-forth to/with and just be heard. They want to feel like other human-beings they associate with hear them and [perhaps] can counsel with them — or at least just get what they’re saying.

People are after a community in which they can be experienced by the other human-beings there too — and I guess you could call such a place a "home" and the members of that community your "kin" — it's all very tribal in nature and stirs me somewhere deep-down in my DNA.

The church-experience I've had appears to be an attempt to force that kind of feeling onto a group of people. Instead of seeing how that sort of feeling flows out from a group of people — as they lateralize and touch hands with the flesh-and-blood human beings around them [instead of trying to connect with the pixels and cuddle with the wires] — following our natural connections, like water flows out from its source.

Re: differences — personally I think of them as puzzle-pieces. The pieces that fit-together are the ones that are complementarily-opposite from each other. It's the different edges that help us become knit together.

I like the (s)word,

Heaven is a Problem"

too — but I've talked with you about that before — so perhaps if I leave it alone, someone else will come and comment on it.

Also, I'm left wondering what the solution to the equation you wrote:

life + time –>

would be…

• Joana Smith JoanaSmith says:

JUSTIN!! life + time——-> some really AWESOME fruit!

thanx for playing….

• Justin says:

Ahh — I see.

but if ye will nourish the word
      yea
      nourish the tree as it beginneth to grow
      by your faith
      with great diligence
      and with patience
      looking forward to the fruit thereof
      it shall take root
      and behold
      it shall be a tree springing up unto everlasting life

and because of your diligence
      and your faith
      and your patience with the word
      in nourishing it
      that it may take root in you
      behold
      by and by
      ye shall pluck the fruit thereof
      which is most precious
      which is sweet above all that is sweet
      and which is white above all that is white
      yea
      and pure above all that is pure
      and ye shall feast upon this fruit
      even until ye are filled
      that ye hunger not
      neither shall ye thirst

then
      my sisters and brothers
      ye shall reap the rewards of your faith
      and your diligence
      and patience
      and long-suffering
      waiting for the tree to bring forth fruit unto you

Awesome in deed…

Also,

thanx for playing….

You're welcome — and thanks for the story.

2. Farah says:

SUPER LIKE!!! Love it so much!!!

3. thule says:

seeeeeew good! thanks for sharing your life today. :) <3

4. shaydewey says:

Posted to elephant culture facebook page.

5. Tom Rapsas trapsas1 says:

Joana, as always I am in awe of your beautiful work, it is like nothing else out there! ~Tom Rapsas

6. Torsten says:

Your artistic expression of visual and written word is lovely…I'm intrigued with Justin's comment about the church "forcing" a certain community onto a group of people, but my experience leads me to want to replace the word "forcing" with the word "selling." Regardless, I don't have the desire to enter into dialogue here, but it was really nice to meet you (we met at the philosophy department's party).

7. tuttle says:

I don't know your husband — but if he wants you to "get rid of your mess", then he doesn't deserve as creative of a woman as you are. Lvoe.