Where can I buy some Fair-trade Cocaine?

Via on Sep 17, 2012

Last year, you looked great. This year, not so much.

Boulder’s all about supporting local, organic, fair-trade and fair labor. Well, half of Boulder. The other half…

I have a few questions for the half of Boulder, including many friends of my friends, who seem to do coke on a regular basis:

1. I’ve been broke all my life. Many of us have. How does it feel to blow wads of cash on blow, instead of, say, on groceries or giving to a worth non-profit or cause?

2. How does it feel to snort blood up your nose? ‘Cause that’s what you’re doing: coke isn’t white: it’s stuffed up people’s asses, it’s the direct cause of gangs, gang warfare, civilian and child murders, it’s destroyed lives and communities, it’s used as a tool for exploitation and it, too often, destroys beautiful people’s erstwhile beautiful lives.

3. You know you looked wonderful last year. This year…not so much. Yah, you.

4. Look, I’m all for legalization, generally. To each his own, as long as we aren’t hurting anyone. But coke hurts everyone it touches. Is it possible, at the least, to source it from a happy farm somewhere? I mean, pot by comparison is incredibly healthy and non-society non-life destroying, and those I know involved in the trade are still beset by douchery, threats, break-ins. Yes, much of that would go away if we treated pot like alcohol, legally, and again I’m generally for that.

But on a basic, immediate level, how can we support something that is causing suffering?

Real question—I’m ignorant, curious, and wondering how the hell this community of ours supports so much casual drug use.

About Waylon Lewis

24 Responses to “Where can I buy some Fair-trade Cocaine?”

• elephantjournal says:

Thanks, you. It was prompted by my working over lunch at the Kitchen and seeing a young couple in the background who look 200% different than they did a year ago, and talking about why with a mutual friend, and this mutual friend saying how common coke is everywhere.

1. elephantjournal says:

Brittany S: Yes, courageous and important writing!!! It is everywhere in Boulder and such a common pastime. More common than many want to believe.

Lee: What? No one does coke any more, that was like 1985. I have not seen it or even been offered it in like 15 years. A dumb drug for boring people.

Waylon Lewis Lee, at least with the restaurant scene and young folk, parties, it's apparently pretty common place. But I hope you're right.

2. Elisabeth says:

Interestingly,

Marijuana is still the largest cash crop that is contributing directly toward cartel violence in Mexico. It is actually far larger than the cocaine traffic. Even if you buy BC or Quebec bud, there’s a fair amount of violence and corruption, though I dare say it is less than buying pot from Mexico or Columbia.

Just thought that I’d mention this highly ignored fact, because I think most stoners have no clue that all those deaths in Juarez are directly connected to them…the general assumption is that gang violence is solely from “hard drugs” when that is not the case.

Ultimately, this is why I think all drugs should be regulated and taxed. Take the money out of the hands of criminals and tax the he%# out of it in order to support health care for those suffering from addiction.

• elephantjournal says:

Amen! Thanks for that. I for one didn't know that. Just another reason to legalize, tax and control drugs, instead of making them illegal and pretending they'll go away. Here's 9 more: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/08/10-reasons

And here in Colorado, to further back up your final point, folks are growing, selling and buying more openly and it's been great for the economy, and great for taxes, and great for bringing illicit sales and crime to light. Now imagine if those in the marijuana community could do so more openly, if pot were treated like alcohol, and their livelihoods didn't depend on the whim of the federal government!

3. anonymous says:

I once heard Noam Chomsky make a funny point that we go spray poison on coca fields in central America, even though cocaine doesn't really kill very many people at all in the united states (Not saying its a healthy thing to do). So he says cigarettes made out of tobacco grown in the united states are killing millions of people in china, just imagine if china flew some crop dusters over here and sprayed poison all over the tobacco fields!

I don't really like this article though, it sounds like its making the drug itself out to be the problem. I don't like cocaine but I know people who can use it occasionally without any serious consequences. I don't think this is necessarily true " But coke hurts everyone it touches.". It's like this whole good drug bad drug thing, drugs aren't inherently good or bad they're just tools and people choose, or should choose, how they're going to use them.

And any ways, the US government has, and probably still does have extensive operations to traffic cocaine and heroin into the united states from third world countries around the world, so if you pay taxes to the federal government you're supporting this.

• elephantjournal says:

Well, I'm glad to hear it doesn't hurt everyone. I guess my point was equally about how it gets to us, and thinking about that with whatever we buy or consume.

4. Atalwin says:

The point is not that one should not do drugs because other people/ the law tells it is forbidden/ immoral/ unethical/ unhealthy, the point that should be acknowledged is that human beings have a deep NEED for exploring their consciousness and hiding, masking, numbing, changing or amplifying their current experience of life. Nature provides us with many things to serve that purpose and humans love to search for them and experiment with them. They will do anything to escape or deepen their reality. This will NEVER change, no matter how much money is spent on 'Wars on Drugs'. And of course people who are willing to ignore the law and for their own reasons see more 'benefits' than 'costs' to lead the life of a predator or parasite will step in.

Your points are ignorant, pretentious and judgmental: How does it feel to spend money on coke instead of organic vegetables? Dude, partying can be part of a hedonistic life style. With always the best food, the best drugs, the best clubs, the best gyms and the best organic restaurants: it feels great. It is not that expensive either. And have you noticed how many people like to drink a glass of wine and how only some of them become alcoholics? Well, this goes for almost every substance, coke included. Many people that let their hair down on Friday night are fit, healthy, successful, hardworking and good looking. You will not be able to tell from beach pictures when I was still partying and when I was already a meditating Buddhist.

Too much is never good. And I dont like anything anymore that blurs my consciousness. It is not a conscious choice, it just happens. Coke, hash, xtc, alcohol and lately even aspirin, sugar and bad carbs: it is all disappearing from my life. But I used to love it, had amazing times and pretty much my whole generation with me. Only a minority got in trouble. The cause – in my eyes – is using the substance for the wrong reason: to escape unhappiness.

The suffering you are talking about (crime, gangs, etc) will be extremely reduced by legalization. But these people "the criminals" will find other ways to live out their existential pain. The suffering of those who (can) become addicted to coke is neither relieved nor prevented by either legalization nor making it illegal. How can we support something that causes suffering? Any idea how much suffering the highly respected firm Moet et Chandon has caused? Or Coca Cola? We are suffering, being human is to suffer. Trying to escape the suffering by creating a pain and suffer free world is the cause of tremendous suffering. We should accept our humanity, including our need to expand and alter our consciousness. Then we focus on healing, education and stimulating awareness. Suppression is never the answer. Include and transcend.

• elephantjournal says:

Thanks, Atalwin. Thumbs up. Your reply could/should be an article on its own.

• Atalwin says:

Welcome. Would like to add, as I was reflecting more, that I have never seen or heard of profoundly positive effects of cocaine specifically. No awakening experiences after snorting some blow. And I am not a big fan myself, never was. But millions like the superficial ego boost and temporary extra energy. That doesn't make them bad people per se. Merely human.

• guest says:

The positives around blow have usually been ' he/she got a ton of shit done'
          Speed too. That is what happened, Kept creating, didn't have to break for sleep.

5. Sharee James says:

I have often wondered about how aware coke-users are about how damaging it is to the societies that produce it. I also have friend of friends who do it occasionally, but also buy fair-trade products and support activism and environmentalism etc, and they have obviously never really thought about it. Or maybe they just don't care because they think it's cool.

6. elephantjournal says:

Carolyn Montgomery how can I like this article more than once! :)

Soren C. Sorensen yoga and drugs don't mix, whether that's John Friend or Minneapolis Corepower Yoga…

Tom Frascone Great post Waylon Lewis. I've always wondered the same.

elephantjournal.com Thanks! Means a lot coming from you, one of my best critics!

Tom Frascone :thumbs up:

Braxton Rush McMurphy I REALLY like the comment by Atalwin. Absolutely spot on. "Include and transcend." Perfect.

elephantjournal.com I liked it, too. Atalwin's been one of our most popular writers, off and on. Comments are what distinguish the web from print, in a fundamental way—it's a two way street and, if we can all be respectful, it's a huge opportunity for open learning.

Theresa Elle Very judgmental for someone who doesn't know how the marijuana trade tends to end in femicide and horror.

Josefien Ensdorff has my comment actually been removed?

Josefien Ensdorff I'll just try it again: I think this is a very facile article: firstly because I believe there is no casual drug use. There is addiction, and being judgemental is not going to help. Secondly, it's not fair to blame a drug war on just one party.

Nan Sheppard I worked for seven years with teenagers in Trinidad, the middleman for much of the drug and gun trade (drugs one way, guns the other). It made me super aware of why we should not use those products. It's the unfairest trade, destroying lives at every step.

elephantjournal.com Josefien, there's a ton of casual drug use here in Boulder…in any case that's not really the point. The point is that we're supporting something that isn't just horrible for us, it's horrible along the way–the opposite of a right livelihood product?

In back rooms, bathrooms and often living rooms among the young, it's mainstream—and every step along the way, it's hurting someone.

~
    Theresa, I explicitly stated that I was ignorant and curious and questioning. That's not judgmental—or I think you mean prejudgmental—judging before I have knowledge. All I know is what I've seen, and what I see isn't happy.

As for the marijuana trade, this article in no way gives a pass to that trade, either. But thanks for your judgment!

7. elephantjournal says:

Jbde Eaves Indeed !!! We have to 'reduce' the consumers providing a market……and profit while there is an option!! High five EJournal, all about the 'present' but more about…..understanding the 'condition' on many levels!:)
    45 minutes ago via mobile · Like
    Rick O'Connell Its a very hard learned lesson for some..
    44 minutes ago · Like
    Sarah Bullion I grew up in the 70s watching my mom and her friends do blow. Awesome, I know. Me, after being offered a bump at an after party in Hollywood last year: "People still do coke? Idiots."
    37 minutes ago · Like
    Elisa García Gómez This is silly. Pot is stage 1 of drugs. You begin with pot and go on with other things,¡!! Face it!!!
    34 minutes ago · Like
    Ruth Iorio Umm, hello? Who the hell d'you think are profiting? War on Drugs? Criminalization? Prison Industrial Complex? Maybe do some googling? Coke's a nasty drug which I personally do not like, but it's no more dangerous than tobacco or alcohol and kills less than both of these. Please quit with this obnoxiously ignorant liberal sanctimony and get some facts straight before you proselytize to people that they didn't buy your BS organic unbleached cotton 85 dollar piece of shit yoga tunic (15% going to some futile 501c3) instead of a gram of snow. And you commentators – 'hard lesson'? "We have to reduce the consumers"?!!! Are you serious? It's a harmless buzz for many more people than get addicted to legal pharmaceuticals, which do, in fact, present the largest percentage of addicts in American society. In fact, I'd say of the evils you all participate in as American citizens, the coke industry is barely on the fucking radar. Which all goes to say: waste your energy on something more important, like the fact your purportedly liberal President can now unconstitutionally detain citizens and non-citizens for no goddamn reason.
    33 minutes ago · Like
    Becky Wyse what ????
    20 minutes ago · Like
    Emma Blue Don't do drugs people suck dick for!
    14 minutes ago · Unlike · 1
    elephantjournal.com Ruth, clearly you're commenting without having read the article.

8. ara.t.howard says:

drugs==narcissism==boulder

your search is over

9. elephantjournal says:

Diane Lawlis Have you ever watched "The Cocaine Diaries?" It's incredible, especially with Alex James' perspective as a former user. Cocaine's destruction reaches far and wide.

10. James says:

What about Trungpa's alleged $40,000 cocaine habit Waylon? : )

Go to bottom of page.

11. maya says:

How about we talk about the difference between the coca leaf industry (small impoverished farmers in Peru & Ecuador who subsist on their coca leaves, and shamans who revere it) vs. cocaine, a life-destroying drug BECAUSE it is too highly concentrated and completely not in a natural form?

We can't forget this separation here. The plant is never the problem, it's when we put it into a context outside of its natural form that it becomes a problem..

12. William Space says:

He's right! It's terrible. I think most people who sell cocaine don't realize how much pain they are causing and usually they talked into it because they are already go to guys for you guessed it – marijuana. So being 'that guy' becomes a natural function. I marijuana is legal there but because it isn't everywhere there is still a lot of illegal trade going on. Importing and exporting. I really pray as more states turn over to legalization cocaine will die out! It's terrible! Also the Mexican cartels fund their other businesses with their marijuana growing so.. Legalize it!

13. [...] I vaguely remember getting on the bus. Isis was playing on my iPod and I had two large Poland Springs bottles filled with vodka. That’s pretty much my last memory until I was picked up by a clinician assistant from the treatment facility at the bus station in NJ. I was told the next morning by one of the program heads that a cop had stopped the clinician assistant who was helping me stumble my way to the car. I was so fucked up that I could barely walk and the cop thought I’d possibly been drugged or was maybe being kidnapped. I was also informed that morning that I’d completely pissed myself when I arrived at the treatment center and was given a change of clothes. Addiction is glamorous, isn’t it? [...]

14. sooo, does anyone know how to get high without drugs? I'd be into that. Exercise, music, and sex is the highest I can get. But I wouldn't mind going higher. It's been a loooong time since I was in love, which got me very high, but the rest of relationship is no fun, so I would rate the high as too expensive. While writing I can transcend self, and teaching a small group of children or one-on-one. I should probably be satisfied with those treasures. But of course, I want more. I think I would get high on success. Am I right?
    What else will take me as high as humans can go? I want that!