Government isn’t the Solution. Unless…

Via on Oct 30, 2012

Image above: Upworthy.

Photos of the aftermath, plus info, resources, links and quotes: (will be updated continually).

One thing we can all agree upon: Mother Nature, in her fury, brings us all together, as do all times of challenge and tragedy. Also: we can and should all offer thanks to those first responders and emergency workers who headed into the eye of the storm, instead of away from it. For the greater good. ~ ed.

NYC, Atlantic City…Severely Flooded? Severe Republican Romney says “cut FEMA.”

I’m sure you’ve all seen the photos: flooding Ground Zero, subways, flooded LaGuardia, lower Manhattan underwater, same with Brooklyn, millions without electricity, 33 dead and counting, millions and perhaps billions of damage, a nuclear plant near its limit, and more. The role of government is not to invade our private lives (gay marriage, Patriot Act)—it’s to protect freedom, and We the People. It’s us: while weaker than it ought to be, who protects us from corporations who’s profits are their sole goal, not public safety.

Corps of course can be good and most are responsible—but government is not other. In the words of (Republican) Lincoln, it’s by of and for the people. It’s us. If it’s not us, that’s because we’ve disengaged. That’s our responsibility, and means we oughta step up.

Arianna Huffington: “Sandy didn’t just knock the campaign off the front pages; it transformed it, as well. At a moment of extreme polarization, Mother Nature brought us together. Suddenly, the artificial walls that our political process erects to separate us into little demographic micro-groups to make us believe we have no mutual interests got blown away by the massive hurricane.”

Romney on Eliminating FEMA: “Absolutely!”

I’m sure we’ve all read Gov. Romney’s position on this, but: if no (video from primary). To be fair, that was his position monthhhhs ago—he’s an entirely different candidate now.

But for all those who think he’s secretly moderate, remember what Maher said: he’s made a lot of promises to a lot of extremists, and his extreme choice of an extreme VP speaks volumes.

And, even if that doesn’t convince us, remember the man put down 800 plus vetoes as guv’ner in Massachusetts, in only four years. That’s not bipartisanship, that’s…you know, partisanship.

About Waylon Lewis

13 Responses to “Government isn’t the Solution. Unless…”

1. Mark Ledbetter says:

One. I don't think the nat'l govt has much to do with first responders, and if they do, they certainly don't need to. Liberals generally think, if there's a problem, govt should solve it, and if govt is put to the job of solving it, it should be the nat'l govt, not state or local.

Two. At root, this article is using a hurricane to justify foreign wars, incarceration of millions for victimless crimes, and debt that will chain our children to wage slavery for decades. It's saying: See? We need a bit of govt, therefore govt is good, therefore we should continue with the status quo of a super state.

• elephantjournal says:

At root, you're extrapolating so much that, if I wanted to say the same thing, I could say your fluency in the English language meant you were responsible for colonizing India, and be just as dead whacky.

As for government's role in first responders and offering emergency services to the general public, I'd say 1) yes, we are involved in that and 2) there is a positive use for community that does not necessitate using selfsame cooperation to go to war on folks. You and I are agreed on that count, generally.

• Truth says:

How'd government do during BP oil spill? If we left it up to the states, I bet local ingenuity would've cleaned up the mess faster. Instead, gov let's BP spread corexit all over to hide the mess.

Sure you have liberal obama excuse for that mess too.

• Timmy_Robins says:

Government is not necessarily a bad thing .

2. Bob says:

Republican Romney says “cut FEMA.”

Didn't he also say it should be cut in favor state control of such services.

Thanks for playing…..

• elephantjournal says:

And some things need coordination and immediate help. Just ask a grateful Gov. Christie. Thanks for playing.

3. Mark Ledbetter says:

The over extrapolation possibility occurred to me, too, as I wrote that. But I immediately discounted it because I've heard this "Govt isn't the solution unless" argument before and it always seems to be used against people who argue against a super state.

Actually, people making the "Govt isn't the solution unless" argument are the extrapolators, in a sense. Or maybe I should call it reverse extrapolation. They use something financially tiny, like fire and police services, to justify things financially huge, like war, medicare-medicaid, and soc sec, the three elephants of nat'l debt.

• Mark Ledbetter says:

Hey, I'm really getting into this over extrapolation thing! Thinking about it over breakfast. I'll have more when I'm back from work.

• Mark Ledbetter says:

Ok, I promised more after work but the ardor has died. I SERIOUSLY doubt there is anyone waitning in bated anticipation for the continuation so I'll just let it slide. If, on the other hand, there actually is someone intersted in the continuation, let me know and I'll happily do it. Good day all!

4. Bob says:

"And some things need coordination and immediate help"

Indeed, those Federal 1st responders are quite something to see in action.

5. YogaforTruth says:

I want you to seriously sit down and think about what this election means, why it's so close. Romney is one of the worst politicians ever, probably worse than Palin, yet it's dead even. What does that say about Obama and his last four years? 2008… record crowds. 2012 about to lose to Romney.

Losing to Romney will be poetic justice for all the lies, and for the fools who supported them. You probably still believe Innocence of Muslims caused the Benghazi attack. For two weeks Obama admin enrages the muslim world based on what evidence? That's how much he respects Muslims, why would he be telling the truth about women, gays, civil rights?

6. Doesn't matter says:

The question is actually whether FEMA is the best way to allocate resources. Do they do it better than at the state or local level? I had the honor of serving on the Board of a local organization and was able to see FEMA budgets, tour facilities and talk to their people. I can vouch for the fact that it's highly wasteful.

7. [...] that have created so much suffering, loss, injustice, debilitation, difficulty, delusion and deferment of dreams for people and towards a new horizon of restoration, hope, healing, and harmony for this one [...]