21 “Non-Spiritual” Things that make us Happy.

Via on Nov 21, 2012

21 Simple “Non-Spiritual” Things that make for Daily Happiness.

It’s the Little Things.

What’s something “non-spiritual” or “non-religious” you do that others can do, too, to be happy day-to-day? Say in comments, below. Be specific-ish!

1. Touch water. Whether in the form of a hot bath, a cool drink of water (stay hydrated!), swimming or the ocean, water heals.

2. Sweat once a day. Exercise—find something you enjoy doing, and do it. I like bicycling, climbing, and yoga.

3. Eat real food. If it has more than three ingredients, generally, or if you’ve seen an ad for it, generally—skip it.

4. Support, subscribe, read a good magazine (print or online) that’s better than you are—with a hot drink of coffee or tea and a little sunshine and quiet.

5. Keep our clothes off the floor. While a messy house, full of love, can be delightful, our environments reinforce our mental states, just as our physical posture can enlighten or depress us. So let’s practice keeping things relatively clean not out of a sense of uptightness, but out of a sense of matter-of-fact delight in daily beauty, respect and simplicity.

6. Community. Even if we don’t meditate, seeing community—bicycling around, at the dog park, at the grocery, at the cafe—will uplift and open our troubled hearts.

7. Don’t be afraid to be a fool. Smile at a stranger. Smile, period. It gets easier with practice (I say this as someone who doesn’t suffer new agey fools, gladly). Laughter, too, is one thing that’s no less delightful even if you’re faking it until you really mean it.

8. Work in an office, or live with, a dog. Dogs are shown to dramatically up folks’ happiness, and productivity, both. And they’ll force you to get outside. Caveat: only adopt if we’re ready, more or less. Never buy.

9. Breathe in and out, slowly, once a day. Feel one’s breath like the rising, falling waves. Breathe deeply, clearing out old air. Breathe up into one’s collar bones.

@waylonlewis on Instagram

10. Never eat while standing up, or driving. We’ll overeat, generally, and we won’t enjoy the food so much.

11. Never cell phone while talking, or walking. Do one thing at a time, and know that it’s not a waste—being present is always more efficient, and leads to space for good ideas and fresh approaches.

12. Hike. Or, just walk. Get out in nature. Or, a park. Nature opens us up, and calms our kleshas.

13. Stop obsessing about one’s own happiness. Help others. In small or ongoing ways.

14. Put on a favorite song and sing it out, like we mean it.

@waylonlewis: Instagram. elephant tote bag, side one. Organic, Made in USA.

15. Pick up trash in the street. Take a bottle out of the trash, and put it in recycling. Save unused napkins from a restaurant for use at home. Do little things for society that may go “unrewarded.”

16. Watch a movie and eat a little too much ice cream/pop corn/vegan ice cream/edamame/nuts. Collapsing into one’s core once in a while is necessary to one’s creative energies.

17. Put a few photos of loved ones around.

18. Be honest. This includes doing work for money that we can believe in, or finding a way to feel good about it.

19. Sleep more. Even a little more. I have no idea how, but it’s a good idea.

20. Write. Whether a journal or a blog, expressing oneself is cathartic and sensical-making.

21. Meditate. There’s nothing “spiritual” about meditation. It’s simply sitting still, with good, relaxed posture, and paying attention to one’s outbreath. When we notice a thought, that’s fine, we acknowledge it with a “label” by saying, silently, to ourselves, “thinking,” and returning to the outbreath. Before we know it: present moment, from whence all great and good things manifest.

Chill Homie Buddha

About Waylon Lewis

55 Responses to “21 “Non-Spiritual” Things that make us Happy.”

1. Sara says:

I loved all of those. One of my favourite happiness makers is spending a day on my own – that is the best battery re-charger that I know!

2. Kuru says:

I agree with Sara. Give me time to be the captain of my own ship, and I'm in the happiness groove. I also love eating in the car, just once a week with my favorite raw pie, yum!

3. Sara says:

I pay attention to children. Favorite: parents occupied in conversation, entering grocery store. Their 8-9 yr old son held hands up & automatic doors opened. Said to him as quiet aside while passing, You must have magic hands. Made his day.

4. MsNoring says:

I love these. I cut and pasted them to remind myself and reflect on them. I try to find little ways to be kind, such as tossing loose change in a payphone slot I often see homeless folks checking or complimenting parents on how lovely their children are behaving.

5. Gabrielle D. Peak says:

I loved every suggestion made among the 21 items.Each one makes sense logically,is good for ll aspects of our health an dis just plain soothing.Since I am more than a sentient being,these things are also good for me spiritually.Thank you so much for presenting these ideas!

6. Debbi says:

Nice reminder of the simple things in life…refreshing. One thing I would say though is watch it on the sleeping. Sleeping too much can cause a negative mental reaction. A healthy sleeping in a little more I would imagine is fine. I think Don't Be Afraid to Be a Fool is my favorite! Live!

7. April says:

I have two special times that are built into my day- and I never miss either one.

1) I walk my dog, Betty, a black Labrador, everyday- it gets me outside in my neighborhood and she loves it.

2) I pick up my grandson, Lewis, who is 8 years old everyday from school. He tells me all about his day at school while we drive by the dog park and guess how many dogs will be there each day. It is a great pick me up and makes me happy.

8. Scott says:

Today I got to be a resource for my mother's health. She called me for advice. Being able to express my love and gratitude for her in this way made me enormously happy.

9. Clivia says:

1) Brush my cat – the resulting purrs always put a smile on my face.
    2) Put on my favourite music and dance – guaranteed to get rid of stress.
    3) Be thankful even for little things in my life, like the smell of onions cooking or the fact that my tarragon is flourishing.
    4) Cook real food, and bake real bread.
    5) Eat real food.
    6) Read. Everything and anything.

10. yourspiritualtruth says:

And I would argue there is absolutely EVERYTHING on this list falls under the category of spiritual. I define spiritual as anything that helps us to know peace, joy, love, to be creative and to find fulfillment. In other words….all of the above. http://yourspiritualtruth.com

• christopher says:

i AGREE so much, and these are wonderful suggestions in this article, but i am baffled as to why the author insists that none of these things are spiritual. i am also baffled by "spiritual" being compared to "religious," because in my experience they are two completely different things. being spiritual means being in touch with yourself and with others, and that is what this article is suggesting we do. being spiritual is connecting to our higher consciousness, to the infinity of the universe, and to love. as a gay kid that grew up in a baptist church, I am disheartened that "spiritual" has become a bad word. maybe it's semantics, and the important thing is that we all mean well (and this article DOES mean well), but I can't help but be concerned. spirituality is about getting to know yourself, your brain, and our infinite consciousness. it's about realizing, on your own terms, that there is a lot that we strive to know and don't. I hope people reading this will reconsider their distaste for "spiritual." in the end, it doesn't matter what you call it, it matters that we DO it. that we connect with ourselves and others and learn to love. PEACEEEE

• dsrtrosy says:

This is exactly what I was thinking!!

11. [...] Two good posts from Elephant Journal, 21 “Non-Spiritual” Things that make us Happy and 3 Ways to Kick Your Sugar [...]

12. melissa says:

Like! I'm going to smile more.

13. Dawn-Marie says:

Now how did you do a whole list without including "make something"? Art isn't just for capital A Artists. Make an omelet, or a sandwich, or a soup (whatever), and take a few extra minutes to make it as wonderful and beautiful as you can. If you think you cannot draw, make one five minute doodle a day, and you'll discover a whole new form of meditation. Make a mud pie with a child, or a sidewalk chalk drawing (even more decadently happy-inducing if you let yourself do it sans child, perhaps). Make a love poem in the steam on the bathroom mirror. Make a little grouping of interesting and pretty bits on a mantle or shelf, and change out one thing each week, until it tells a story you want to live with.

14. Tracey WELLMAN says:

I believe that these things can and do fall under being spiritual (and not religious). Most of them bring us closer to our core and to others. Life is spiritual in essence and anything bringing us into understanding of the simpler is essential to well being.

15. Wolf Martinez says:

All these are Great! One I would mention is DANCE! I know Sweating is listed, which I agree 100%, as is singing… so Dance as if no one is watching!!!

16. GMC says:

why isn't anyone mentioning the picture of Paul??? THAT makes me happy! ;)

17. pattypants says:

I loved these. Puts everything back into perspective!

18. Roger Wolsey BrotherRog says:

Nice list. But I'd say all of those are very spiritual things.

Roger Wolsey, author, Kissing Fish: christianity for people who don't like christianity

19. Melanie says:

Start talking to strangers. I saw this on another unrelated post and I love the idea. In a store line up, ask someone ahead of you if a food item they are buying is good, or what they plan to make for dinner that night. Stop on the street and tell someone the dog their are walking is really cute and how old is it? Ask the check out clerk if they've had a busy day. Ask the person the bus what was the last book they read and if they'd recommend it. Be random and have fun, you never know what people will come up with. The cool thing is, unless the person you try to talk to is a recluse, they will actually feel good that you cared enough to talk to them. Although not always, but if they are nice people they will. :)

• Sandy says:

I agree wholeheartedly, Melanie! I started talking to strangers as soon as I could talk … and I have never stopped. There is always something that will lend itself to a short conversation–an honest compliment, a statement, or a question–are good starters–it's amazing how good it makes both of you feel!!!

20. MaryMAC says:

I thank all of the natural elements for creating what nourishes me/us & the many hands that worked hard to provide it for us. This is not necessarily religious or spiritual but a way of being present with my food in the moment before taking it in.

21. Ali says:

I find most of these things "spiritual", just saying :D

22. gus says:

The spirit is what makes everything possible.

23. Mark Steed says:

You totally left out ridin the Harley.. LOL.

24. fiona says:

light a candle and send the light out to the world

25. Maria Kintaro says:

1. Touch water.. Really… I love swimming.. But what about touching and holding someone you care for ….and lovemaking … Should top the kyat..

2. Sweating… No way…running n jogging n stretching — for sure—exercise activities that get the blood flowing……

26. Deb says:

I love this list! I do have to say though, that every single one of those actions, is actually a way of connecting to our own spirit…….

27. Ian Batt says:

#22. Date that guy in the black and white photo!

28. Anita S says:

It's true, GMC, how is that nobody's talking about Paul?? I love the man, he's great.

29. suli says:

love this! completely accessible and do able for all of us regardless of life path. hell yeah! Go team!

30. Love all of these, particularly 8, 9 12, 14, and 20. Beautiful all around. Thanks, Waylon.

31. Alex says:

Learn to play an instrument, and get good enough to "create" music with it. Try playing it with others, and learn to complement something that someone else has created.

32. cronetothebone says:

Spirit cannot be disconnected from anything… and spiritual and religious are not synonymous.

33. Katie says:

I’ am my best self when happy.

All of these contribute to that and I’ll add four more: cook, laugh, learn & travel!

34. Thomas says:

I like these suggestions but I believe you are losing people like myself in these definitions of what and what is not spiritual. Why label this “non spiritual” in the first place? Everything we do touches our spirit. To label something as non-spiritual and spiritual is an attachment. These are words that we attach meaning to. Make a list and let people decide what works for them, but please get over this obsession with the word “spirit”. In my opinion, you are diluting your message, missing the forest for the trees.

35. Merlynna says:

And ice cream?

36. Jos Kony says:

There seems to be a lack of beer on here. Beer is non-spiritual and makes a lot of people happy.

37. Margot says:

22. Read a book. Especially one that you don't want to end–outside when the weather is nice or inside when it is raining or snowing with two dogs on your lap.

38. Sam says:

Expand your view of what "spiritual" means. All of these things are, indeed, spiritual! Unless you are confined to strictly religious view. And even so, how could these things not bring you closer to God?

39. Micheala says:

I take one day a week (Saturday morning) to have some time for myself and take two dance classes. It's healing and I have my own form of family there, too! Definitely good to get exercise and have fun at the same time :)

40. Pin up this pic of Paul Newman! THAT makes me happy.

41. SuprmrktTheMoon says:

every single one of these things is spiritual. they may not be religious… smiling doesn't affect your spirit? meditation isn't a spiritual action? really? is this guy joking? honesty is a principle that is fundamental to spiritual following a spiritual path. Best rule of thumb, bud: If it feels good, its good for you, and you're not hurting anyone? It's spiritual. Maybe you need to rethink things a bit before you write another article.

42. Lauren says:

#1- they say saltwater is a cure for everything, be it ocean, sweat, or tears.

43. melissa says:

Manners. Holding the door for someone, giving a stranger a hand, being polite, etc. always lifts the mood of the giver and receiver. And cat purrs lift the heart as well.

44. Ana says:

Eat a small piece of rich, dark chocolate very slowly and really really enjoy it :) If you're a chocolate lover that is.

45. Ridz says:

Have I become a Waylon-whatever to Waylon-wow lately? I have been reading your articles alone (maybe a coincidence) but a lot that's coming from you is ringing much in my head. Guess I'm catching your vibrations or connecting spirit-spirit? It is my wish to write for Elephant Journal someday. Thanks for making a difference to my life! Namaste (bowing with gratitude).

46. Noah says:

12, 13, and 14 are my favorites. I like that the author put "non-spiritual" in quotes. Anything and everything can be a spiritual experience if you choose to see it that way. There is much fulfillment to be found in the seemingly mundane.

47. psychicintraining says:

Touch water, walk in nature, eat real food, avoid multitasking – YES!

I think a lot of it is about defending yourself from the demands of your world, creating space for yourself to ground and get in touch with what you want in that moment.

The thing is, all these little things won't completely change your life if you need a big overhaul. A half hour walk on the lunch break will *help* you tolerate a crap job, but what you really need is a different job, change of scene. Never underrate the little things, but keep in mind the little things don't replace the big changes if you need them.

(Speaking from personal experience, that is.)

48. Touch!! Touch yourself in kindness…Massage yourself and make any hard part soften. Your neck, your shoulders, your belly, your (lower) back, your buttocks and……do not be afraid! Enjoy touching and massage your own body wil all the love and kindness within you. Accept your sexuality as part of you when it 'pops up' touching yourself. Breath through all you movements………Be kind to yourself

49. martha says: