I don’t know about the rest of the world, but sometimes I find getting to the mat can be difficult.
Maybe it’s season change or my many excuses, none of which are valid, that are holding me back. I’m even having a hell of a time getting my Yoga Teacher Training students to participate in the studio where they are training. It seems to me to be so strange that you want to teach yoga but don’t want to be part of your local studio or community. If you don’t connect with local community who are you going to teach too?
Here are five reason you should practice yoga at a studio:
1. Human connection! It’s very important to be part of a vibrant community and to chat with like minded individuals.
2. You could use some help with your poses. You may not realize it, but your butt is sagging during Chaturanga and your knees are hyper extended in Uttanasana. A well qualified compassionate teacher will help with your alignment and form. Proper alignment and form can make the difference between a lifelong practice of injury free yoga and giving up on your practice because of pain and injury.
3. It’s good for you to get out of the house and learn something new. When you practice alone all the time you get stale and you tend not to try new things.
4. It keeps you on your mat. Find a friend at yoga and commit to coming three times a week. Yoga with a friend keeps you motivated.
5. You open up to new experiences by participating in workshops and community events. Yoga is an investment in you, and consequently that becomes an investment in the world.
The biggest message I took away from reading the Gita for the 10th time is action!
Stop talking and start doing. Your life isn’t going to live itself!
Editor: Brianna Bemel
Like elephant Yoga on Facebook.
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 597 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 13 shares Learn Social Media, Writing, Editing & Journalism Ethics with elephantjournal.com. 1 share The Real Reason so many Long-term Relationships Fail Sexually. 975 shares Trevor Noah just won my Respect. 2,567 shares Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 993 shares December Forecast: Letting Go of 2016 & Leaning into 2017 with Love. 7,476 shares Why a Year of No Dating was the Best Thing I ever did for Myself. 7,575 shares These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,391 share