Exercise Your Empathy.

Via on Jan 14, 2013
Photo: Jade Beall
Photo: Jade Beall

Admittedly, I am not your average yogi.

I can’t get behind all the suhka-duhkah-mudra-mantra business and in the face of all things woo-woo I find myself just thinking…huh?

Though I wouldn’t necessarily call myself a cynic, I confess that I don’t just blindly believe what someone is telling me simply because they are saying it in Sanskrit or it came out of some big ancient book.

Energy, crystals and chanting might be enough for some people to quit their jobs, declare a new path and follow their mystic leaders to Bali or India—but not me.

The simple fact is that yoga saved my life. Straight up. And I wanted to know how that happened.

So, over the years I have educated myself. Not in the spiritual world, but the scientific one. Information was scarce at first, but over the years the research published on yoga and mindfulness has steadily increased. I buried myself in the scientific research and in 2009, I began to design a program for trauma survivors based on these findings.

Now, my professional life is dedicated to sharing and educating others on these findings and my program and it is often profoundly empowering for yoga teachers and students to discover the scientific facts behind their own personal transformations and spiritual beliefs.

While there is so much fascinating and interesting information regarding how yoga and mindfulness practices change the brain—one of the most interesting is the roll of mirror neurons.

Mirror neurons are a relatively recent discovery (1980s and 1990s) and are helping scientists understand the neurobiology of social and emotional connection and empathy. Originally discovered by a team of scientists in Parma, Italy, mirror neurons were found to be the neurons behind the observing and imitating of motor activities.

Further studies showed that mirror neurons not only activate when imitating a movement, but that just by watching a movement (such as ripping a piece of paper) mirror neurons and other neural networks activate as if the watcher is physically executing the movement.

Later, mirror neurons were implicated in the ability of human beings to understand the actual feeling of the person being watched. They are thought to be the neural network that recreates that feeling in the observer of the action. It is now understood that mirror neurons correlate with the emotional centers of the brain and provide a neurological basis for empathy as well as self-awareness.

Mirror neurons are thought to be what’s behind the specific human condition of feeling with someone; watch this to feel what I mean:

Mirror neurons have also been found to be an integral part some very important regions of the brain—the anterior insular cortex, which is thought of as the seat of consciousness, and the anterior cingulate cortex, which is thought to be where awareness and the regulation of emotion occurs.

These two brain regions form a network that works conjointly (along with other prefrontal brain regions) and is activated simply by focusing on things like non-judgmental present moment awareness, awareness of feeling states in the body and the consideration and execution of complex motor movements (ahem…yoga and meditation).

So in January of 2005, when I was in the darkest time of my life and planning my one shot at doing something right (ie. removing myself from the world via swallowing a butt load of pain killers) I happened to stumble into a yoga class. And as I learned how to really breathe and concentrated on how to move my body in class and pay attention to how my body was feeling inside, I activated these brain regions.

I exercised my empathy.

Humans are social creatures and empathy is one of our most mystifying yet wonderful attributes; but as they say neurons that fire together wire together. In other words, use it or lose it. So in addition to my yoga practice, I spend my downtime watching sappy movies and television shows that make me cry.

Because without empathy, we begin to stop being kind to ourselves. And when that happens, we begin to withdraw from others and the cycle of insidious self-destruction begins. Our brains are social organs and in isolation they begin to suffer.

Mirror neurons are just the tip of the iceberg.

The brain and body are profoundly complex and integrated. But I found my answer to how did yoga save my life? By breathing and focusing my attention, I was unknowingly activating my brain centers that govern self-awareness, empathy and consciousness.

I began to wake up to myself. I began to wake up to the kind of life I was living: an isolated life that led me to lose any sense of who I was. I began to take risks in connecting (risk-taking is also associated with activity in the anterior cingulate cortex and has been associated with drops in stress hormones).

The more connection I began to make, the stronger my awareness, empathy and self-compassion.

My thoughts began to change from committing suicide is my one chance to give something good to the people that I love to I want to live and make a contribution to the world.

And so one breath at a time, I will continue making a contribution to the world, for as long as I naturally live.

Like elephant yoga on Facebook.

Ed: Bryonie Wise

About Suzanne Jones

Sue Jones, Founder and Executive Director of yogaHope has practiced yoga for over 15 years and is a leading voice in the subject of mind body practices for self regulation and personal empowerment. For the last six years Sue has trained, inspired and lead hundreds of volunteer yoga teachers who have donated their time in substance abuse rehabilitation centers, domestic abuse safe houses and homeless shelters for women. She dedicates much of her time to researching the effects of yoga and mindfulness practices on survivors of trauma and those suffering from traumatic stress response. Sue’s life and work have been profiled in Yoga Journal, The New York Times, Shape Magazine, Body + Soul Magazine, Martha Stewart Whole Living Magazine and on CNN Headline News.

13 Responses to “Exercise Your Empathy.”

1. Jade Beall says:

Greetings!! I would love to credited for this photo of mine. A friend saw it on this article and notified me that it had been used. I am honor you enjoy the image! You can credit Jadebeall.com. Thank you!!

• Suzanne Jones Sue says:

Hi Jade,
      The editors at elephant chose this photo for the article. I will make sure they get this message. thank you!
      sue

• Hi Jade! I will happily credit & link it up. Just as a FYI: the photo was on a public photo sharing site as a copyright-free photo and was not attributed to you. You may want to follow up and check on that. Yours, Kate

• Jade says:

YES! thank you. I don't know how my photos get out there beyond my website… i am unaware/uneducated of photo-sharing and such online but i am grateful you can credit me! thank you very much. I will look into it. Thank you for responding to me. Happy day!

2. Janet says:

Profound and so very helpful in understanding and reinforcing my own experience. As a child, ballet and other dance classes provided me the release that the deep concentration of yoga now allows. And as I mature in my yoga practice, this awareness is evolving and I am now beginning to actually feel subtle energetic effects while IN the poses. I adjust myself very subtly until I can feel what I call the "sweet spot" where energy flows and releases. I could stay there forever. I am so very blessed to have found some cherished teachers that "get it" and can guide me in this exploration. Thank you, Sue for putting words to my experience as well.
    Janet

3. Jackie says:

Your research "mirrors" my experience. Two years ago I was in the same black hole you describe and I found myself lying on my mat at the local YMCA crying during savansana, thinking to myself, "yoga is saving my life".

4. edwinrutsch says:

wonderful article. May I suggest a further resource to learn more about empathy.
    The Center for Building a Culture of Empathy
    The Culture of Empathy website is the largest internet portal for resources and information about the values of empathy and compassion. It contains articles, conferences, definitions, experts, history, interviews,  videos, science and much more about empathy and compassion. http://CultureOfEmpathy.com

• Suzanne Jones sue says:

wonderful website! Empathy heals. Check out the website for our project in Haiti here http://www.yogahopeprojecthaiti.com/Site_4/Projec….

Also, gender responsive programming is crucial for women and the ability to express and feel empathy is integral in programming for women. Thanks for helping to build a culture of empathy!

• edwinrutsch says:

Suzanne Jones, would you be interested in doing an interview on th relationship of Yoga and empathy? We would also like to do some panel discussions on the topic if you'd like to take part in that. see
        Invitation to be interviewed by Edwin Rutsch
        One on one Video Interviews
        Dialogs on How to Build a Culture of Empathy http://bit.ly/y8WS7V

I also posted a link to your article on our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/EmpathyCenter

• Suzanne Jones sue says:

absolutely. There is some very compelling research supporting brain regions activated during mindfulness practices that are known to be the center for empathy as well as the "seat of consciousness" and self awareness. Exciting stuff! you can email me at yogahope@gmail.com

5. I disagree with this “use it or lose it” approach, particularly as it is formulated here. The author may get some entertainment or relaxation value from her approach, and in itself that’s not any more objectionable to me than other forms of entertainment (there’s a time and place for entertainment as long as we don’t confuse it for something else).

Sappy movies rely on sentimentality: a cheap appeal to canned emotions. They manipulate us into feelings without depth. Why is this dangerous? Because it opens the way for other forms of emotional manipulation that are more dangerous than the degradation of art.

I explain in greater detail the connection between sentimentality, propaganda and advertising in my blog here:

6. Patti says:

A person that has no empathy toward others is a sociopath. The dangerous triad in children: firestarting, torture to animals, and bedwetting. Having these 3 things in a child probably tells you you have spawned a kid without empathy or compassion. Ted Bundy was a sociopath. Scary. I like how you are emphasizing empathy and kindness toward others. We need more of that in his world. A world where big weapons can shred little children, yet still those with a lack of empathy/compassion want to continue to be able to purchase those assault weapons.. Kind of a depressing statement about us.