Job Search for the Mindful Life: Clarify Your Mission.

Via on Feb 22, 2013

SteveJobsDoWhatYouLove

I have this strange set of skills that I use periodically—I’m really good at job searching, in particular for other people.

A combination of my mission-oriented attitude and anal organization skills seems to put me in a rare group of people that can actually enjoy this process. I have written a four-part series I’m calling Job Search for the Mindful Life highlighting practical advice that I’ve learned throughout the years to hopefully inspire you to find a career that you love.

First and foremost—know your personal and professional missions. These should be very closely related and ideally be the same mission. For example, I enjoy helping people find jobs that they love because I believe that businesses can be a force for enhancing our environment, community, and the greater world. The more people who are mission driven means more people who will demand a company that is also mission driven and thus create spaces that are great places to work. This, in turn, leads to great products or services, which improve the world!

See how I tied this random article on job search into part of my mission? That’s what you should be doing with your goals at work and in your personal life—tying them to your mission.

How do you find your mission? Here are a few tips that helped me brainstorm and refine my personal/professional mission.

• Write down observations and thoughts about what you have always been attracted too. This is a good exercise just to start you thinking mindfully about yourself.
  • List your strengths and weaknesses. We are programed not to boast about our strengths and to ‘spin’ our weaknesses so they are positive. Do you recall the old job interview question with the answer: “My biggest weakness is I work too hard”? Well, forget that and really get into what you’re good at and what you’re not good at. I find it helps to ask a few people in your life: a close personal friend or family member, someone you’ve worked with and trust, and someone who you just started working with. These three people help give you a well-rounded perspective on your strengths and weaknesses, which will help you create a mission that is realistic for you as an individual.
  • List the who, what, where, when, and how of your life and business. For example, who do you want to surround yourself with, both personally and professionally? If this is not lining up with what’s happening in your life, it’s time to make a change.
  • Now look at why you do what you do. Simon Sinek has an excellent TED Talk about how the best businesses begin with the why. The why you do what you do often boils down to your basic mission statement. If you are in the Boulder area, a Startup Women Group I am a member of will be discussing Simon Sinek’s book Start With Why in late March.

YouTube Preview Image

Clearly, all of the work that you put into the above tasks is much more than a one-sentence mission statement, but I’ve found it to be a helpful part of the mission development process. Once you have your thoughts down, see if you can refine them into a paragraph that you can memorize and reference daily. I also encourage you to print your brainstorm document or write out some key components and have it visible to you on a daily basis.

Why do all of this? To help you create a mindful life and career that is in alignment with your core values. After this brainstorm session, either you will realize that you are in alignment with your values and you will likely see a little spark in mundane activities when they are on mission or you will realize you’re not in alignment and you should probably change your job or something else in your life.

In the coming series of Job Search for a Mindful Life I will discuss practical job search advice for moving onto a career that is in line with your mission. Next week: Building Your Network with Purpose.

Do you have a personal/professional mission statement? If yes, how did you write it and have you found it helpful in guiding your career?

Like elephant Work on Facebook.

Ed: Brianna Bemel
Source: thefancy.com via Janelle Renee on Pinterest

About Jeanne Eisenhaure

A pragmatic idealist with a background in marketing, sales, and operations, Jeanne has seen firsthand how for-profit businesses can be vehicles for social and environmental improvement in addition to creating long-term sustainable financial growth. Jeanne works with mission-driven startups through her marketing agency 23 Sons to build the remarkable mission-focused businesses of the future. Why just build a business, when you can build a movement? Learn more about Jeanne and connect with her on FacebookTwitter, Instagram, and her most recent project YouTube. Discover her latest thoughts on marketing and using business strategy for social good on her blog at 23 Sons and connect with others focused on utilizing business for good 23 Sons Facebook page and @23_Sons on Twitter.

15 Responses to “Job Search for the Mindful Life: Clarify Your Mission.”

1. C M says:

I've had panic attacks for 10 years due to my inability to choose a job that correctly fit my personality. I sure wish I was your neighbor so I could pick your brain!

• Jeanne Eisenhaure Jeanne Eisenhaure says:

CM try checking out local professional meetup groups and try to find a few folks with whom you can you can form a mastermind group (i.e. brainstorm).

• Hi CM – You are not alone; job searching can be very anxiety provoking to many (I work with job seekers, so I know this all too well). I highly recommend the website Work Stress Solutions: http://www.work-stress-solutions.com/ It's a goldmine of resources for healing the sources of our anxiety and stress (not just managing it to keep working) and a perfect accompaniment to what Jeanne calls, "job search for the mindful life" (I just love that!) Try some of the techniques on the site first if jumping into an action plan of networking & masterminding feels too overwhelming to start. Or, maybe a jump into action that brings a source of inspiration and support is exactly what you need to kick the fears away! Whatever works for you, keep at it :)

2. Nice post…changing lanes seems difficult/impossible in these times when the mortgage has to be paid.

• Jeanne Eisenhaure Jeanne Eisenhaure says:

@becomingamaster, definitely not suggesting shrugging off responsibility. Think clarifying your mission can be a way to bring subtle shifts into your daily routine so you can slowly move towards a more purpose driving life (I feel so cheesy writing that, but I kind of believe it). As I'll talk about throughout this series, finding a career that aligns with your mission can take a while and happens through a series of small changes. I hope you still take the time to clarify your mission even if you are not living it 100% today.

3. [...] Before delving into Part II of Job Search for the Mindful Life, I suggest you go back and read Part I: Know Your Mission. [...]

4. julia0345 says:

Thanks for sharing this nice post. There are so many online job sites available over the web but first you have to know how to choose right job site which have quality of job campaigns and ability to provide the best candidates with a minimum effort.

5. taylor says:

i'm having such a hard time getting past the first two parts of defining my missions and my strengths & weaknesses. great post though.

6. Barbara Sher's books are amazing — you may have seen her on PBS specials. Highly recommended to help job seekers hone in on and create action plans for their 'right livelihood'. You can download her book Wishcraft for FREE right now at this link. http://wishcraft.com/ Just shared with my clients as well, wanted to pass it on :)

Like Jeanne says, in my experience, the process comes in stages. Managing the 'in the meantime' jobs and maintaining progress along the way are important and to be expected.

7. Wow, that’s what I was searching for, what a information! present here at this webpage, thanks admin of this web page.

Here is my homepage … raspberry ketone

8. greenergirl says:

Really looking forward to the series based on this post. Great support at a time when I am I the thick of it and struggling. Thanks!!

9. OleManJake says:

Awesome article. Perfect timing.

10. MBH says:

Hi Jeanne! Thank you for writing this. It seemed like I was alone in this search. I feel like a square peg in a round hole, trying to find the career that best fit my vision for transformative healthcare, but as I went down the list, DO/MD, Quiro, PT, ND, L.Ac, etc… I realized that each profession has deep limitations, whether it's the training, or the licensure… Whenever I get going down a path, these limitations stop me in my tracks, and I don't want to be this way forever!! (It's what it seems!) Ugh… Do I just have to let go of the vision? Am I dreaming too big? I want to do what I love and be paid well for it… It seems like these two things are in opposition