The Health Benefits of Green Tea.

Via on Feb 27, 2013
ec221092720b7b4983201dfd1d69d929

Over the last decade, there has been an influx of media coverage about the health benefits of green tea.

The Chinese have been drinking green tea for thousands of years because of its numerous healing abilities. Green tea has been used for treating everything from minor headaches to much larger matters, such as preventing cancer.

Many health studies are beginning to shed some light on why green tea is so beneficial. So, what are the benefits from green tea that can affect your life?

The following are some of the major health benefits of green tea that may substantially change the way you look at this miraculous beverage.

1) Weight Loss

The high concentration of polyphenols in green tea helps to oxidize fat and encourage thermogenesis. Thermogenesis in the body is the rate at which the body burns calories. Green tea results in an increase of energy which raises the metabolism. When we boost the body’s metabolism, more weight is lost than normal.

As a morning beverage, green tea has a small amount of calories compared to most other beverages that Americans tend to consume. The constant barrage of coffee as most peoples’ morning beverage results in a higher amount of daily calories compared to green tea. Substituting green tea for that cup of coffee will make a big difference in the size of your waistline.

2) Prevention of Cancer

The antioxidants in green tea eliminate free radicals that plague the body. These free radicals cause aging and cancer. The polyphenols of green tea constantly search for free radicals and prevent oxidation, or the formation of unstable oxygen molecules, from occurring.

Oxidation damages healthy cells of the body and have been linked to illnesses like cancer, heart disease, and even strokes.

The polyphenols in green tea prevent the birth of abnormal cells, inflammation and destroy most cancer causing agents.

3) Healthy Teeth

Green tea is well known for keeping teeth clean because of one of its ingredients: fluoride. The fluoride kills the bacteria in the mouth that causes plaque. Also, fluoride helps to maintain healthy, cavity-free teeth. This helps to prevent general tooth decay inside of the mouth. This cannot be said about coffee, which stains the teeth with an ugly yellow overcast.

The oral health of teeth can be vastly improved with the consumption of green tea.

4) Lowers Cholesterol

Green tea may be a possible solution for all those suffering from the condition of high cholesterol.

Heart attacks are one of the most common problems associated with bad cholesterol. Drinking green tea could possibly benefit people that are considered high risk because of high cholesterol levels. Green tea lowers the bad cholesterol, or LDL, levels and prevents the occurrence of blood clots in the body.

The LDL cholesterol flows through the liver and cells forming heavy deposits on artery walls—the catechins in green tea help to decrease a person’s LDL levels.

Also, the catechins help to maintain a healthy good cholesterol to bad cholesterol ratio, thereby improving the body’s overall health.

If weight loss, the prevention of cancer, healthy teeth and the idea of low cholesterol does not give you an idea of the health benefits that you can reap by drinking green tea on a daily basis, you must be one of those people who already benefit from perfect health.

However, for the rest of us that have a family history of heart disease or obesity, it’s reassuring that something as simple as adding a few cups of green tea to our daily beverage intake can help decrease our risk factors.

For those of us concerned with drinking too much caffeine, the amount of caffeine in green tea is relatively minor compared to the amount of caffeine in coffee and soft drinks.

If you are still concerned, green tea extract can be taken in pill form and you will still receive all the benefits of drinking green tea.

Remember, good health doesn’t have to be complicated—and now that you know how simple it can be.

I hope that you begin incorporating green tea into your daily regimen tomorrow!

Like elephant health & wellness on Facebook.

Ed: Bryonie Wise

(Source: sweetkitty0.blogspot.com via Affinia Hotels on Pinterest)

About Leona Harter, L.Ac.

Leona Harter, M.Ac., L.Ac., LMT, loves to heal things through the power of Acupuncture, Massage Therapy, Qigong, Yoga and Herbs in her private practice at Leona Harter Acupuncture and Wellness in Southeast Georgia. She also maintains a practice at Advanced Healthcare Center in Jesup, GA, where she works with other medical providers to provide a multidisciplinary approach as needed. She guides her patients on their path of self-discovery while offering natural healing techniques that can be incorporated into any daily routine. She can be connected with via Facebook or via email at info@leonaharter.com.

14 Responses to “The Health Benefits of Green Tea.”

1. @MaxZografos says:

Thanks Leona! I've switched to Green tea recently, and was not 100% certain whether my caffeine intake reduced or not. It's nice to know it helps teeth too. I drink it with frothed soy milk. It tasted divine.

2. @stillmind2 says:

Fluoridation in green tea presents a huge problem. Among other sites, I found this particular one with the most references. (at the very bottom). http://poisonfluoride.com/pfpc/html/green_tea___….

3. Eric says:

There's no doubt in my mind that green tea carries health benefits, but I have to challenge some of these points.

1) There's no significant difference in calories between a plain cup of green tea and a plain cup of coffee. The extent in which green tea promotes thermogenesis more than the average caffeinated beverage is unclear.

2) Fluoride doesn't kill bacteria at levels found in tea, but it can promote mineralization of teeth, thus aiding in the prevention of cavities. However, as a professional in the dental industry, I can tell you that the role fluoride plays in protecting teeth is not fully understood

As you mentioned, Green Tea has been party of a healthy chinese lifestyle for thousands of years (For extra fun you can research the difference between how the Chinese define green tea vs. westerners). The truth is, we really don't have much scientific evidence to support it. But do you really need it? I think thousands of years of history is enough. Enjoy a warm cup of green tea as an invigorating experience and leave the green tea pills on the shelf.

4. Robyn says:

I love green tea and drink a lot of it. One day I read somewhere that the benefits are reduced if you use water that's too hot and also if you steep it more than about 3 minutes. The first one I can fathom, but the second one seems so odd to me. Anyone know if either of these are true? I had learned in a tea appreciation class not to poor boiling water on green tea leaves because it will bring out the bitterness, but I kind of like the bitterness. But I don't want to kill the "good stuff."

5. Robyn says:

Sorry. I don't want to make too many comments, but I was embarrassed that I wrote "poor" instead of "pour"!

6. [...] The Health Benefits of Green Tea. (elephantjournal.com) [...]

7. Green tea increases the metabolism. The polyphenol found in green tea works to intensify levels of fat oxidation and the rate at which your body turns food into calories.

8. Hi everyone. I appreciate all the comments. I just wanted to touch on some of the issues you guys brought up. First, I agree with @stillmind2 that fluoridation can present a problem. However, the problem doesn't come from drinking green tea. The problem comes from all the fluoridation that is added to our water system, our toothpaste/mouth wash, and even foods like our bread. Because of the excess amount that is added, I do suggest checking labels and looking for fluoride free products.

Eric is also right about the fact that there isn't that much difference caloric wise between a cup of plain green tea and a cup of black coffee. However, and I am guilty of this myself, we are much more apt to add cream, sugar, and all types of flavoring to our cup of coffee, which ups the caloric intake significantly. Unfortunately, this is where we get into trouble. And heaven help save me from lattes and mocha's.. lol.

And Robyn… I think it's great you enjoy your green tea so much. And yes, there is a whole process that makes boiling tea an art form. The temperature of the water and how long you let it steep depends on the type of tea you are drinking. You can research this if you like, but no matter what you do, you are going to receive benefits from drinking green tea. My advice is to just enjoy the process and not worry so much about how correct you're doing it. Don't take the fun out of it. If you like the bitterness, then enjoy it. There's even benefits in that :)

9. Daniel says:

I recently read a study that said the reduction in stroke risk gained from drinking green tea is further magnified when combined with coffee. The study claimed that having one cup of coffee and four cups of tea per day greatly increased the reduction in stroke risk. It was a Japanese study, meaning that one cup is 6 ounces and thus smaller than we might be used to. Source: http://www.letsdrinktea.com/what-does-green-tea-d

10. Janice says:

Green tea is good. Another great variety is "Oolong Tea", especially the "High Mountain crop". Great smooth aroma in a golden color and plenty of healthy antioxidants. You're lucky if you can get your hands on those.

11. [...] The Health Benefits of Green Tea. (elephantjournal.com) [...]

12. Cathy says:

I find green tea so bitter. Is there any specific kind you would suggest?

13. Shani says:

Love it. Put a tea bag in my reusable keurig brew cup and I'm good to go.